Home
Posted By: Savage_99 Muzzle brakes at the range. - 08/05/15
A muzzle brake makes a terrible loud blast at the range.

I shot next to one today that was on some small AR gun, a 223.

The blast was awful and I wear plugs and muffs.

[Linked Image]

Couple of years ago I had some fellaß sit down next to me with a BAR wearing a boss.
I've had a Swiss cheese braked 30-378 Weatherby as a range neighbor. I could feel the pressure wave in my sinuses.
Originally Posted by mathman
I've had a Swiss cheese braked 30-378 Weatherby as a range neighbor. I could feel the pressure wave in my sinuses.

We had some idiot from Eastern PA show up with one of these several years ago to hunt mule deer. The guy missed over 20 times......seriously.
Best avoid the firing line at the Icebreaker because it will have your vaginas sailing clear across the North Dakota line.

Travis
I always pick one of the berms that only has 1-2 firing points when I use my .06 with one and if someone is near ,I caution them that I do have one. Other members are always reminded to do the same.
I can't understand why someone's foam ear plugs and good muffs do't do the job.Mine do.

Some folks forget that people like me use them due to medical problems
Originally Posted by Savage_99

[Linked Image]

..............LOL.....Gotta be prepared for anything at the range.

When I take the Mk5 beast with brake and as a courtesy, everybody two shooting positions down on both sides from me is fore-warned before the fun begins........LOL.......... grin
I typically use plugs and good muffs, and my ears aren't the issue. It's the sideways pressure wave coming off the thing slapping me upside the head that is annoying. Behind the gun is the quietest place to be.
You fellas need to find a new range.

[Linked Image]

I'd go to great lengths to not rub shoulders with a crop of mouth breathers at the range, just to shoot a fugging rifle. YMMV
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
LOL.....Gotta be prepared for anything at the range.

When I take the Mk5 beast with brake and as a courtesy, everybody two shooting positions down on both sides from me is fore-warned before the fun begins........LOL.......... grin

That's an awesome pretend story about a pretend gun at a pretend range.

Thanks.

Travis
Originally Posted by heavywalker

[Linked Image]

I'd go to great lengths to not rub shoulders with a crop of mouth breathers at the range, just to shoot a fugging rifle. YMMV

Jersey?

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Muzzle brakes at the range. - 08/05/15
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks.

Travis

Don't pick on the dead guy.

Thanks.

Travis
.......Well Travithhhh. You are more than welcome to come oooooooooooooooon dooooooooooown and engage my pretend rifle and going along to my pretend range.

Choke on your milk.......LOL.........
Originally Posted by ingwe

Thanks.

Travis

.....Thats right!!!...LOL...LOL

Thanks.

Travis

Is he dead or retarded?
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Thanks.

Travis

Is he dead or retarded?
..........LOL....LOL....LOL...........
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Muzzle brakes at the range. - 08/05/15
Both?
PNW
.......Well Travithhhh. You are more than welcome to come oooooooooooooooon dooooooooooown and engage my pretend rifle and going along to my pretend range.

Choke on your milk.......LOL.........

Ok.

Travis
Originally Posted by Savage_99

[Linked Image]

Sweet Jesus, you use more photos from other sites than Root has names.

What does the photo you lifted from a gun club's site have to do with the price of tea in China

http://www.bellcity.org/Benchrest.php
Best avoid the firing line at the Icebreaker because it will have your vaginas sailing clear across the North Dakota line.

Travis

LOL
I have found that muzzle brakes highly depend on the range. I belong to a range that is mostly older hunters...those dudes will complain, then complain some more, if you show up with a braked rifle on a busy day when you can't spread out. On the other hand, at the 1000 yard range I belong to, I have yet to see an non-braked rifle and nobody complains. Different clientele with different norms.
I have found brakes to be useful for things other than recoil. They can remove a clock from the wall. At the range you can blast away the annoying guys with their semi-auto AR's and their incessant blam, blam, blam with no intent to hit anything. The brake is also a handy bench cleaner that will work better than a vacuum for cleaning up the top of the bench before you get out your AR to just shoot for no purpose at all...
Posted By: Tracks Re: Muzzle brakes at the range. - 08/06/15
The only brake I ever owned, or ever will own, was on a 338-378. The thing used to set off car alarms of vehicles parked behind he range.
I was younger and dumber when I had that monster built, and thought I needed it.
I've made worse mistakes, but not many.
Yes. Always warn surrounding beings. If there is any nearby structure, my braked 30-378 packs so serious concussion. If one is out shooting on the Kansas plains, however, there's no issue. Same thing with a Rem 600 6mm in my safe. That short barrel (18 1/2") really barks.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Muzzle brakes at the range. - 08/06/15

Yes.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have found brakes to be useful for things other than recoil. They can remove a clock from the wall. At the range you can blast away the annoying guys with their semi-auto AR's and their incessant blam, blam, blam with no intent to hit anything. The brake is also a handy bench cleaner that will work better than a vacuum for cleaning up the top of the bench before you get out your AR to just shoot for no purpose at all...

They're also great for loosening mud dauber nests from their moorings beneath the firing line roof.
I have a .338 Win. mag with a brake. If I can't find an isolated bench to shoot it from the rifle stays in the truck.

I have to say I like the idea of having it along to reward the guys with the AK's, etc. when they start peppering my bench with their empties. Have to try that this fall.

Jim
God bless nice cans....... and private "ranges".....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Especially a .308 with a 16" barrel & a brake. smile

The downside is it tends to make your spotting scope bounce around on the bench... smirk
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
God bless nice cans

I agree

[Linked Image]
mathman - AMEN on feeling the pressure waves. I was situated between 2 gents with .338 Lapua's and felt like a boble head doll every time they fired. Noise was OK as I wear plugs and muffs BUT the sideways blast from the brakes is something else.
Homesteader
Nice "cans" well, are nice!

[Linked Image]

Uh, yeah....that'll work.....

[Linked Image]

WAG: Capitol Forest?
Hammerdown - like Texans always say "bigger is better".
Homesteader
I can handle the ARs at the range because the blast isn't that bad with such a small powder charge. Last range session they assigned me a lane next to a gentleman with a braked 338 Lapua. He fired a couple rounds that rattled my teeth and I went in and asked to be moved to a different lane. The guy has a right to take his rig to the gun range but I just can't sit next to that anymore. I see brakes a lot especially with larger magnums. I've pretty much limited myself to cartridges I can enjoy shooting without muzzle break so my collection stops at the 9.3x62/350 Rem mag on the high end.
Picked up a savage bear hunter in 338 Winchester magnum gun is equipped with a break its my first gun with a break can't wait to shoot it at the ranger. Quick question I also own a mossberg 695 slug gun 12 gauge which is ported gun had less recoil but not louder at the range why is that ?
© 24hourcampfire