Home
Anybody have some experience pairing an 06' with the Sierra Gameking 165 grain HPBT?

Tried some at the range, and they are deadly accurate. But, how to they perform on deer/elk?

Thanks!
They work well on caribou. Produce exits, not too much bloodshot messiness, and dead bulls in short order. As you've found they also tend to shoot well. I've used them this spring and fall on bear hunts but have yet to launch one unfortunately, I'm sure they'd be up to thw task though.
I used them back in the '70's, but stopped when I had five exit holes in one deer. They do kill quickly, but are a bit soft for my liking.
58.8grs of IMR-4350, 210M or WLR primer and go kill things. I have used them for years in 30/06, 300WSM and 300WinMag with complete satisfaction. Rick.
I've used them extensively in 308 Win, but also in 30-06. No issues other than having to butcher and haul meat.
I cannot speak of elk or big west big game BUT on Whitetails up to 225# out to 400, these bullets worked great! I went with BT's the year they came out, I found em very accurate and never looked back, I am drifting to accubonds for sub 30 cal deer bullets! very best WinPoor
Cannot speak to elk, but that is my go to bullet at present for deer in 06. Have also used the HPBT Gameking in 243 and 284. Excellent performance on white tails and hogs.
They are supposed to be a bit tougher than the boattail soft point boattail of the same weight. Can't say. Killed a couple deer with them in an '06 at .308 velocity. Never caught one. Don't shoot the meat unless you like your burger pre-ground.

I've got a box or two on the bench, but since I can shoot Partition over-runs and blems for the same price they may end up killing target dots.
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I've used them extensively in 308 Win, but also in 30-06. No issues other than having to butcher and haul meat.

I use them in the same cartridges and I have the same damn problem.
They'll make your back hurt.... Dragging critters and such. In my .308's IMR 4895 & 165's do nice thangs.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They are supposed to be a bit tougher than the boattail soft point boattail of the same weight. Can't say. Killed a couple deer with them in an '06 at .308 velocity. Never caught one. Don't shoot the meat unless you like your burger pre-ground.

I've got a box or two on the bench, but since I can shoot Partition over-runs and blems for the same price they may end up killing target dots.

I've used them on deer and they work well. I'm also with pappy on the SPS seconds and overruns. When you can get partitions for such a discount, why use anything else? I get good enough accuracy with them and they have been killing animals very dead since they debuted in 1948.. However, with this being said, if I were shooting past 600 yards I'd probably grab the 165 HPBT sierra over the partition if it shot better in my rifle. Which, for the most part, the sierras generally do. Just how I roll..
I have killed a bunch of game with them from coyotes though moose.. Some with my old 06, and a bunch more with my old .300.. Some careful placement is required with the .300, but it has shot though both sides of elk a number of times with lung hits..
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
but stopped when I had five exit holes in one deer.
This often means the bullet shattered major bone and bone fragments become projectiles.
Thanks to all for the replies and recounting your experience. Sounds like a winner and no real issues.

Take care.

Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Thanks to all for the replies and recounting your experience. Sounds like a winner and no real issues.

Take care.

Oldcrab, those will work but if you ever get the hankering to try an excellent bullet in your 06. Give these a try:

good bullets
Originally Posted by ricksmith
58.8grs of IMR-4350, 210M or WLR primer and go kill things. I have used them for years in 30/06, 300WSM and 300WinMag with complete satisfaction. Rick.

That is a pretty warm load is it not? If that is for the 06.
Shot a mule deer with one and it went down like a fallen tree thumping to the ground. Not sure I would use it on elk, but never tried either
for me it is one of the best bullets made in 30 cal. i have been using it in 30-06 and 308 and 300 sav. for over 20 years. i have killed a lot of deer with them. and they are super accurate.
Hodgdon manual says 60grs is max so no it is not a hot load. Have used it in at least 20 different 06s with no problems. Rick.
I've used them on few deer from the '06. As the others have said no problems and they are accurate.

Dave.
The soft point Game King shoots a lot better in my rifle than does the hollow point. At least with IMR-4350 anyway.
I never analized them,,killed a couple moose and a pile of caribou, ate them old business.
Using the 165 grain HPBT Game King in .308s, with Varget, I have killed a good number of elk as well as mule deer. In fact it has been my "go to" bullet for a good number of years. It drops elk with ease. An extremely accurate bullet too.

My only complaint has been that it does not do well in the wind at longer distances. Due to its accuracy I was actually using it as my match bullet as well, but it really gets blown around past 500-600 yards due to its un-aerodynamic profile.

Within typical hunting ranges though, it is a stellar big game bullet.
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Hodgdon manual says 60grs is max so no it is not a hot load. Have used it in at least 20 different 06s with no problems. Rick.

Dang, I load mine at 56.0 grains IMR 4350 and it has a substantial recoil, worse than my 300 win mags. 58.8 would knock my glasses off.
Never had a problem with recoil from that load. My youngest son started with that load when he was 13-14 yrs old. He has taken Elk, Mule Deer, Hogs and many White Tails. Rem 700 with a high tech specialties stock. Rick.
© 24hourcampfire