Home

If given the choice, I'd much rather use the Cotis/SAS mag than dork around with stuff like this. But for those that can't wait, here's a pictorial of the modification that I did.

Did it ~6 months ago and have well over 1000 rounds thru the rifle and mag. Max COAL is over 2.45" and feeds great.

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
So the rear piece is actually two pieces? You filled the rear and the milled it deeper. Looks good.
Is adhesive necessary to re-attach the rear piece? I was under the impression that they just snap together, but haven't taken one apart yet.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Is adhesive necessary to re-attach the rear piece? I was under the impression that they just snap together, but haven't taken one apart yet.

There is no adhesive, they just snap together.

Word to the wise - boil some water, drop your magazine parts in there for 30 seconds or so before you assemble or dissassemble. Really helps to keep you from breaking those little tabs.

David
Originally Posted by JeffP40
So the rear piece is actually two pieces? You filled the rear and the milled it deeper. Looks good.

Fill-n-mill is correct.
Originally Posted by Yondering

Cotis has instructions posted somewhere on how to take the mag apart w/o damaging the tabs. The emblem glue took care of mine. In any case, the tabs are wimpy but once assembled they aren't an issue.
Thanks
how deep do they need to be milled?
its hard to tell from the pics.
As deep as you need grin

Take a look at the pics and you can gauge how far the white goes up the sidewalls.

Tag
Great idea.
Tag
tag
Originally Posted by 4th_point
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is precisely what I had planned on doing. I even mentioned it in one of the early threads on the short COAL issue with the .223 Ruger American mag.

Great job!
tag
Actually did this myself today. Have ended up with about 2.54" oal which mightn't be necessary but seems to feed all rounds ok.

75g Amaxes on the way.

Good deal, thanks for the info.
I finally took the time to do this. I dropped the magazine in boiling water for a few minutes and still broke off two tabs. I was not being hamfisted, those tabs are delicate.

I filled, then drilled and milled on my drill press, and reassembled with epoxy. It seems to work great, I just need to go shoot it.
Tag post
Original images are no longer visible. Reposted for anyone interested.

Part I - fill and drill

Note David's comment earlier about boiling the mag to keep from breaking the tabs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Part II - mill or Dremel

It looks like Ruger is going to the mag well insert style on most of the new American stocks. That allows the possibility of AICS, AR15 or rotary mag, depending on what insert and latch kit you get. They will sell the parts needed to convert over to any style.

I had a lefty with a hairline crack that developed ahead of the pad. It was the older style. They sent a replacement stock free, and it was the new mag well insert style. I had to call again to have them send the rotary mag insert, but they sent that out free as well. Guess I could have requested any type of insert, but the rotary mag fits my needs best for this gun. Picked up a Ragged Hole single shot adapter for it, and it works slick.

All their American stocks are coming from the same mold. Just depends what color material they use. The LH and RH are the same, they just do the bolt handle cut after. And compact and standard LOP are the same. They just cut the compact ones shorter after, and the extra pad holes are already molded in the plastic as well.
Great info Ken, thanks..
© 24hourcampfire