Home
If anybody happens to own a RAR Predator or Ranch in 223/5.56, I'd be really curious to know the COAL to the lands with a common bullet (69/77 SMK, 75 Amax, whatever).

Thanks much!

My Ranch went 2.525" COL with a 75 AMAX jammed into the lands.

It's chambered in 5.56, so longer throat. Is the Predator chambered in 5.56?? If not, it probably has a shorter throat.

Ruger lists the Predator as a 223... So the length to the lands should be (?) less. Am curious myself.

Jerry
I've got a 223 Predator.

A Hornady 75gr BTHP hits the lands at about 2.275" oal.

By oal, I mean to the tip of the bullet.
RAR Predator 223. 2.42" kissing a 75gr. Amax
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got a 223 Predator.

A Hornady 75gr BTHP hits the lands at about 2.75" oal.

Are you sure about that...must be just in the neck?
I would have though 2.375
The Predator and Ranch are two different animals. The Ranch chamber is much longer due to the 5.56 reamer. The Predator has the shorter 223 chamber...
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The Predator and Ranch are two different animals. The Ranch chamber is much longer due to the 5.56 reamer. The Predator has the shorter 223 chamber...

Indeed.

Which I why I asked about COAL to lands of both grin

Got those magazine end caps allowing long OALs going yet? confused
Nope, but I think I may have found a potential solution.
I am interested in the ranch as a truck/fun/kid gun on the cheap. But the mag OAL issue has me concerned that I won't be able to take advantage of heavier pills. Are you guys finding it to be as accurate as the other versions? Does it have issues with OAL with say 75 amax? What's the verdict? Thanks
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got a 223 Predator.

A Hornady 75gr BTHP hits the lands at about 2.75" oal.

Are you sure about that...must be just in the neck?
I would have though 2.375

I meant to say 2.275" oal. Throat is not excessive.

Thanks for catching me there.
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I am interested in the ranch as a truck/fun/kid gun on the cheap. But the mag OAL issue has me concerned that I won't be able to take advantage of heavier pills. Are you guys finding it to be as accurate as the other versions? Does it have issues with OAL with say 75 amax? What's the verdict? Thanks

You'll need to extend the mag length. shortactionsmoker is working on a solution. Some of us have already received modified magazine backs that will accept longer COL.

Help is coming, but it may be awhile.

SAS needs to get out of that darn gun shop and start working on the magazines and hunting.... grin
So with the ranch being available as a compact and threaded it is very appealing as I will be ordering a suppressor sometime this winter. I have a 5 year old and 4 month old that will be raised to hunt and shoot, and the suppressor will make it more pleasant for all of us hunting and shooting. The compact stainless is not threaded, but has the 223 chamber. Is the ranch NATO chamber a deal breaker with 75 amax without the mag extension. I would love to have a couple extended mags, but it seems this venture is taking quite a while( I understand why, and I am in no way harping on SAS or Cotis). So what would you guys do? Or would you look at other youth rifle like a model seven youth
Buy a compact stainless 223 chamber and have threaded?
Originally Posted by kevinJ
So with the ranch being available as a compact and threaded it is very appealing as I will be ordering a suppressor sometime this winter. I have a 5 year old and 4 month old that will be raised to hunt and shoot, and the suppressor will make it more pleasant for all of us hunting and shooting. The compact stainless is not threaded, but has the 223 chamber. Is the ranch NATO chamber a deal breaker with 75 amax without the mag extension. I would love to have a couple extended mags, but it seems this venture is taking quite a while( I understand why, and I am in no way harping on SAS or Cotis). So what would you guys do? Or would you look at other youth rifle like a model seven youth

Get the Ranch and shoot shorter COL until you find a solution. I know member 16bore had ordered a mag for one with a longer box. You might pm him and ask. He had a thread not too long ago on it.

ETA: oops. Sorry. 16bore's mag was for a Tikka. NOT for a RAR.
Thanks
2.581" OAL into the lands with 75 gr Amax in 5.56

2.036" ogive to lands with same

Mike
You could get the stainless compact and have it threaded easily once you get the suppressor. Best of all worlds.
© 24hourcampfire