Home
Considering the 223 or 300 Blackout for a kids rifle for deer hunting. Which would you choose and why?
It's no choice in VA, I'd have to go with the Blackout.

If I could make a choice, I'd be comfortable with either, given appropriate bullets.

Kids may like the .223 recoil better, even with the small difference between to two.
If those are the choices then 223. But nearly everything would be better then a blackout for deer hunting
223 by a mile.

Lots more rifles to pick from
Incredible Selection of factory ammo and reloading components.
Much Much more flexible and versitale for other uses.

Get yourself a 9 twist or better yet an 8 twist and never look back. Kimber Montana if you have the cheddar, Ruger American if you don't.

Only reason to go 300 is to thwart laws where 22 cal is illegal for big game
Supersonic 300 BLK loads are effective on deer. We probably took 10 last year with the 110 vmax last year.

That's the way I would go.
YMMV
223 but if you want cheap 30 cal. get the 7.62x39. I wish CZs 527were cheaper, Id buy one of each.
Im sure the 300 is effective but the 223 works very well. Folks that haven't used a 223 with half decent ammo will be surprised if they ever do.

Now it's time for 6 people to say use a deer rifle 223's are too small deer should be shot with a 25 cal minimum etc....
223 with Nosler 64grain Bonded Solid Base
blackout.
The problem I see with the 300 is that the heavier bullets don't have enough speed at the muzzle to expand. The lighter bullets are generally varmint bullets not intended for deer. The mid-weights are probably a decent choice at closer ranges. But even those slow to the point past 100 yards where expansion is questionable.

While it'll kill deer with good shot placement and the right bullets I see the 223 with bullets designed for deer as superior.

I have both...of the two I'd pick the 300 BLK....

The Nosler 125 BT would be an excellent choice....or 125 SST..

Just a really easy cartridge to shoot...low report/recoil......

Only have had this Ruger a month or so...but I really like it...

Not my deer gun....just a handy truck 'yote or whatever gun...

7# 11 oz as shown....Loves 110 Noslers & A1680 !!
[Linked Image]
Both will work. The .223 will be less expensive to feed.

I wouldn't want to go past about 300 yards with either. Beyond that I would want a low recoiling cartridge in .243" to .284" for the kids.

My .223 has too slow a twist to use heavy bullets so if hunting deer I'd grab one of my ARs - the Wylde .223/5.56 or the Blackout, either one. I do like the Barnes 110g TAC-TX and Nosler 125g BT in the Blackout. Both are better than a .30-30.
Originally Posted by kandpand
Considering the 223 or 300 Blackout for a kids rifle for deer hunting. Which would you choose and why?

Killed deer with both, BO costs more but has a softer report, recoil similar, Barnes 110 VOR-tx are expensive but excellent. Accuracy from an AAC upper good, 223 with 62 ttsx kills the same, louder report. Exit hole a tad bigger with the BO. Flip a coin.
the only issue i see is most blackout rifles come with a 1-8 twist and that with short 30 caliber bullets don't mix. I spoke with a barrel manufacturer as I was considering a 300BLK in a Contender for my kids, and he flat out told me the 300BLK was and always will be originally designed to be fired subsonic and suppressed. Unless you can find a rifle with a 1-10 or 1-12 twist, those 110-150gr bullets won't do good in accuracy (according to this barrel maker).

He recommended in a Contender go with 6.8SPC, 7-30 Waters or 30-30 and use low recoil loads if need be.

In your case, I would say 223 with a 1-8 or 1-9 twist, and any good 60 to 69gr hunting style bullet. It's every bit as good as a 243 in my experience as the BC of the bullets are really good.
I don't believe the barrel maker is up to speed.
300 Blackout hands down.. loaded with 110 gr Barnes black tips, 125 Gr SST's or BTIps are deadly on deer out to 200 yards... I have tracked a ton of deer shot with a 223 by kids (not expert shots.. these kids can shoot paper great but the adrenaline kicks in when the deer show up) I have taken a lot of kids hunting and will pick a 300 BKout loaded with the right bullet any day.. hell Im hunting wiht one this year.
That barrel maker doesnt know what he is talking about... I have 3 bkout bolts 2 mod 7's that I gave my nieces (the oldest one has already killed 2 deer with it) and I have a 700 Rem.. all shoot under an inch group with whatever you put in them... no recoil and kids love shooting them. I took a 9 yr old girl who had never shot a gun before and taught her how to shoot and the 3rd round she cut the x at 50 yds. She shot every round I had loaded for it that day. It is a very fun round and my 14 year old neice will tell you that it is deadly on deer also. Starting her 6 year old sister out on her model 7 this year.
Assuming kids and ranges not to exceed about 250 yds i would pick the BO. With the Barnes 110 TTSX (designed totally for the BO) I was more then impressed with its accuracy and power. It is what it is and i have only used it on coyotes but would have no qualms on deer.

My choice is such simply because the larger diameter can assist with blood loss and trackomg on a less then optimal shot placement.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I have both...of the two I'd pick the 300 BLK....

The Nosler 125 BT would be an excellent choice....or 125 SST..

Just a really easy cartridge to shoot...low report/recoil......

Only have had this Ruger a month or so...but I really like it...

Not my deer gun....just a handy truck 'yote or whatever gun...

7# 11 oz as shown....Loves 110 Noslers & A1680 !!
[Linked Image]

Above Ruger is 7 twist.....My AP AR 300 BLK is an 8 twist Shilen...

Either one shoots 110-168's just fine for my needs....
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't believe the barrel maker is up to speed.

^^^This^^^. My Ruger American is very accurate with super sonic 125's.
I am setting a 6 year old kid up this weekend with a Ruger American Compact 300 BK as his first deer rifle. He is so excited to get to shoot it!! He will hunt with his dad and grandpa with the 110 Barnes .

110 Barnes is one mean lookin' boolit for sure.........
the black 110 grain Vor-TX barnes bullet is awesome at close range, this went through the near shoulder this is the exit hole IIRC about 50 yards. I dig it because it makes a bigger exit hole that a 22. I like that Ruger bolt gun, looks cool.

[Linked Image]

Got the Ruger trigger down to a safe 32 oz...clipped spring...

yes..its a handy little accurate bugger...cool beans......
I am hoping that kiddo gets to put a Barnes thru a big fat does front shoulder next weekend during Ark's doe only season. They are some mean looking bullets.
Got my daughter the ruger American ranch, BO, 2-7/Nikon. running 110 Sierra varmint bullets for neck shots and 125 BT for woods load.

The 125 NBT or the Horny 125 SST should work great for deer.....

Lohman Arms in TX actually had some Lil'Gun this week....

Priced higher than most at $96 for 4#'rs

Buddy bought some.......
Lohman is a good shop. Nice guy, smith on premises, some hard to find inventory. Not the best prices around, except once in awhile they are.
Originally Posted by kandpand
A 308 (or whatever you have) using Bluedot loads because Bluedot loads are crazy accurate, light recoiling, cheap, and they can use that rifle forever.
I have a 9” AR15 pistol with a 1-7 twist that shoots very well with 110-125gr supersonic bullets. There are also a host of good subsonic bullets out there to choose from now that will expand at reasonble hunting ranges.
with this info, I may reconsider the blackout regardless of what the barrel maker said...makes sense...

In terms of long term cartridge stability and availability, do you think the 300blk survives over the 6.8spc?

Do you all think the 6.8 is better or worse than a 300blk?
© 24hourcampfire