Home
Posted By: OlongJohnson Howa Mini? - 10/16/15
Anybody here have a Howa Mini Action yet?
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
OlongJohnson - "Anybody here have a Howa Mini Action yet?" From the lack of responses I'd conclude... NO! Homesteader
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
Interesting. Bud's has a .223 OD green one for $520 cash. Rate of twist isn't in the specs but I did find this on Howa's site as a Howa/Hornady recommended twist.

.223 Rem. 20"/22"/24" 1 in 9" VX Ammo 53 GR.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2391
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
They're 1-9". I called and asked.

Dave
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
If you go on LSI's site and look at the barreled actions, you get more specs.

http://www.legacysports.com/1500-mini-barreled-actions
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
9" isn't horrible to live with until you can shoot it out and rebarrel wonder what the mag restraints are?

Mike
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
20" barrel slinging 64gr PP's in the woods! Sounds like a handy little package.

If I didn't have a RAR already I'd be very interested.

Mike
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
I'm interested in these too
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini? - 10/26/15
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
Anybody here have a Howa Mini Action yet?

Nope, but I'm sure hoping they turn out a Grendel, preferably in stainless. CZ may have one in the works, but the stocks I've seen on 527s have been kinda spotty of late.

I also wouldn't be averse to putting together a 6X45 on one, come to think of it.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/27/15
The Howa action, even the regular "short" action, works very well with the Fireball cases, too. A buddy of mine built a .221 Fireball on a regular short action Howa, and it fed and extracted and ejected those short little guys just fine.

The new Mini action should be just as good. Not a huge fan of the box magazine, but I concede that they can be useful. Heck, I've got four CZ 527s, so I can' really fuss much about that.

That Fireball, BTW, shot like a sumb!tch with the PacNor SuperMatch barrel he put on it, you had to work pretty hard to shoot groups over a quarter inch, even with the horrible trigger. And it shot everything really well, too, with a 14" twist barrel. He shoulda kept that one, but he got bored with it. (first world problem, it provided no challenges).
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Mini? - 10/27/15
They should come with both mag systems.

The DBM's feed slicker than schit. But certainly aren't for everybody.

Travis
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/27/15
Originally Posted by deflave
They should come with both mag systems.

The DBM's feed slicker than schit. But certainly aren't for everybody.

Travis

Agreed.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Howa Mini? - 10/27/15
A nifty idea but I've already got a 527 .223 so not much interest there. A 6x45 would be appealing.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/27/15
I think the Mini would be a nifty platform for the 6.8 SPC...
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Howa Mini? - 10/27/15
I went down the rabbit hole on the SPC bolt gun idea a few months ago. There are only two factory SPC bolt guns I could find, the Rem 700 and a Ruger MkII. Both were done prior to the development of SPCII specs, so you can't safely fire ammo that's loaded to optimize performance for any current production AR barrels. So you'll want a custom barrel.

I like the idea of sharing ammo with a semi-auto, but when you get into it deeper, you'll probably be segregating brass and just neck sizing for the bolt gun while full-length sizing for the SA, not to mention the possibility of different COALs, so you end up with two different processes, two different product streams, and adjusting tooling back and forth.

The bolt head is a problem. There are custom bolt heads for Savages, and a few people just open up .223 bolt heads. Maybe something like that could be done with the Howa - I didn't find it. Then you need the barrel, etc. Ends up being an expensive little project.

I think I remember seeing some talk on a 6.5 Grendel forum about the possibility of a factory Howa Grendel option, due to the 7.62x39 bolt face being viable. Doesn't quite have the sauce of the SPC, though.

In the end, I came to the conclusion that the SPC is best at what it was created for - optimizing the terminal performance of the AR platform.

I also realized the .250 Savage is essentially a ballistic twin to the SPC. It uses a standard bolt face, and there are decent rifles already out there chambered for it. Even keeps you from getting brass mixed up. But if you're going to do that, why not just go with a .260 and have more headroom? You can still load it down if you want, and it's all off the shelf.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/28/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348
…but I'm sure hoping they turn out a Grendel, preferably in stainless.

I called Howa about 4 months ago and asked if they were going to bring it out in the 6.5 Grendel. Was told it was one of the chamberings they were looking at.

Everyone should pester them about this.

Jerry
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/28/15
The Grendel is coming. there are also some really good deals out there on the 223 right now...
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Howa Mini? - 10/28/15
There are a handful of Howa Lightnings left out there at silly-not-to prices, like $35X. The stock is essentially identical in form to the standard Hogue, but the outer surface is hard polymer, not the rubbery stuff. 20-inch #1 contour barrel on most of them makes it not as light as a Tikka or Mini, but still lighter than your standard Howa sporter.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/28/15
We have Lightenings for $329.99. I have a bunch of the mini's coming too that should be here any day now. They're also $329.99.

That's quite a bit cheaper than the mini's we have on the shelf...
Posted By: Stevil Re: Howa Mini? - 10/28/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I've had a Howa mini for about a month now, seems to be a quality bit of kit. Anyway with the Aussie doller around 70c versus the Yanky dollar, smart local manufacturers do stuff like this !!
Posted By: Stevil Re: Howa Mini? - 10/29/15
A few more pics.

At the moment this is the best of all the Mini actions. Zastava's not in the game and Sako's L461 are 45 yr old collector pieces.

hoping to get a range session this sunday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Howa Mini? - 10/29/15
That's a great work bench, BTW.
Yeah ole mate use to be an engine builder in his previous life.
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Mini? - 10/29/15
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We have Lightenings for $329.99. I have a bunch of the mini's coming too that should be here any day now. They're also $329.99.

Barreled actions or the whole gun?

Travis
That is ridiculously cheap for a fine Japanese made rifle !

we have to pay double that downunder !!
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Howa Mini? - 10/30/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Barreled actions or the whole gun?

Travis

And is that for the lightweight or standard or heavy barreled gun?

I'm also wondering about magazine length. The 1/9 twist isn't ideal for heavies, but does the magazine allow for seating the medium/heavies out where they should be?
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Mini? - 10/30/15
Depends how it's throated but I would say that if you are wanting to play with the longer bullets, the standard SA is going to be the safest bet.

Travis
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Mini? - 10/30/15
The Howa model number is HMA60203+. It's a complete gun. This one has the OD Green plastic stock.

As to barrel contour, their website shows it as a #2. I currently have one on the shelf and it's more like a #1...22" long.
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Howa Mini? - 10/30/15
These are the specs for the non-Mini barreled actions. They rotate some off when they stop pushing them into distribution, but they often still have inventory. Generally, the rifles are one of these in some kind of stock.

http://www.legacysports.com/barreled-actions
Posted By: Stevil Re: Howa Mini? - 10/30/15
69/70gr proj should be the upper limit for the 1:9 twist, the rifle should be at the range testing some 70s tmw

How does the Howa MA mags dimension compare to other 223 mags

Remington Model 7 - 60mm
Howa Mini Action - 59mm
Mini MarkX Mauser (aka Zastava m85) - 58mm
AICS 223 - 65mm
Posted By: Stevil Re: Howa Mini? - 11/04/15
Ole mate has been working on a fixed butt stock with an adjustable cheekpiece. We have different gun laws across the different states 8n Australia, so collapsible and folding stocks arent an option for me. Should be finished this week

[Linked Image]
Posted By: orfisch Re: Howa Mini? - 11/04/15
So currently the mini is available in .204 and .223. Any other rumors out there besides 6.5 Grendel? SAS is the batch you have incoming 204's and 223's?
Posted By: Stevil Re: Howa Mini? - 11/05/15
6.5 Grendel will be available by mid next year 7.62x39 late in 2016.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Mini? - 11/05/15
The batch is 223 -- they came in today. $329.99...
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Howa Mini? - 11/07/15
SAS is there any prospect of a hinged floorplate version?

I hate those magazines protruding down.
Posted By: Justmissed Re: Howa Mini? - 02/04/18
Hey Stevil,

Desperate thread revival happening...

Im looking for a chassis for the mini and seems my only option is a mdt from cleavers.

Where is your chassis from?

Cheers mate.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Howa Mini? - 02/04/18
Originally Posted by Justmissed
Hey Stevil,

Desperate thread revival happening...

Im looking for a chassis for the mini and seems my only option is a mdt from cleavers.

Where is your chassis from?

Cheers mate.

Welcome to the forum. Expect politically incorrect responses to your arrival. You may be expected to live up to them. Rifle loonies are always welcome.

kwg
© 24hourcampfire