Home
I'm looking for a couple of triggers for my M700's and thinking the Timney 510 will fit the bill since these are hunting rifles I want to swap triggers on. Are there any triggers that are worth a look at as well that can be set in the 2-4lb range that aren't north of $150 each?

Also who has the best prices on triggers that'll offer military discount as i don't have any current cupons for the normal places? Had a guy on anothe claim he could get the 510's for $80 each, but when I asked if he'd be willing to sell me a couple for $95 each shipped he balked. Looks like about the best deal I can find is around $120 plus shipping on them. I gave $650 combined for both my ADL rifles and really don't want to pay over $300 for two triggers to replace the Xmarks.
I prefer Shilen.
If you are thinking of replacing the xmark pro, just get a new spring from erniethegunsmith.com and go on.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If you are thinking of replacing the xmark pro, just get a new spring from erniethegunsmith.com and go on.

Does that keep it from breaking at the adjustment screw?
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I prefer Shilen.

Scott, have you compared them to the Timney triggers ? If yes, what is it you prefer. The SS Shilen was on my radar as well.
I have both. I can get the Shilen lighter and I like the narrow shoe. All my Timney triggers have the wider shoe. If you like a wide shoe I'd go Timney.

They both work.
Better all around to replace the entire rifle! There are many features that need upgrading on a 700!

Get a brand and model that also have:

1. A M70 type safety that controls the firing pin.
2. A rifle that has control round feeding of cartridges so they will not jam.
3.A bolt that is not just tacked on with weak braze.
More but the heck with that cheap design..
Originally Posted by Maude
Better all around to replace the entire rifle! There are many features that need upgrading on a 700!

I'd do what Maude suggests.
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Ding, ding, ding! Congratulations, we have the stupid comment of the day award winner!

Because I really need CRF on a .223 rifle to stop that dangerous and rabid prairie dog charge.
I've replaced several Remington triggers with the Shilen and have really liked them and still have an extra I need a rifle for:)

But I did recently have a Timney put in one rifle, its the "thin shoe" model, not sure what number it is. Anyway, so far I really like how it feels, so I may try another one of those. The only problem with the Timney is I had to have the bottom metal machined out a bit since the Timney trigger body itself is pretty thick. But this was on a Badger M4 b/m so maybe on stock BDL it would be OK??
I would take a look at trigger tech though inventory seems to be low right now. I have one back ordered for a month now. Can't wait to try it. Looks like a great design and price is right at about $90. I bought my last three timneys from SWFA for under $100. It was a sale price though. I would search around on the Internet a little and I bet you can find prices better than $120. No experience with shilen but I here good reports. Jewell's are my favorite but far exceed the price range
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now that Don has weighed in, the OP knows exactly what direction to proceed in.

The opposite one.

Originally Posted by taylorce1
I'm looking for a couple of triggers for my M700's and thinking the Timney 510 will fit the bill since these are hunting rifles I want to swap triggers on. Are there any triggers that are worth a look at as well that can be set in the 2-4lb range that aren't north of $150 each?

Also who has the best prices on triggers that'll offer military discount as i don't have any current cupons for the normal places? Had a guy on anothe claim he could get the 510's for $80 each, but when I asked if he'd be willing to sell me a couple for $95 each shipped he balked. Looks like about the best deal I can find is around $120 plus shipping on them. I gave $650 combined for both my ADL rifles and really don't want to pay over $300 for two triggers to replace the Xmarks.

I'm maybe not the one to ask. Just sent back a Rifle Basix that developed creep and a new Timney 510 Nickel that wouldn't go below about 3lbs without slam-firing. Have one other RB trigger I like okay, but it's been back to their shop once before. I've yet to have a problem with an old-style factory 700 trigger making 2-2.25lbs safely and have never had one "go bad" as years went by.
After joining the 'Fire I found that I was taking my life in my hands with Rem triggers. Who Knew? Somebody here recommended these. Seem to work just fine.
http://www.jardinc.com/remington-700-trigger-upgrade-kit/
Rifle Basix has an aluminum shroud, which reduces the weight by about 1.5 ounces. If you are building a lightweight that is something to consider. Otherwise, as Steelhead said:

Shilen for narrow shoe
Timney for wide shoe
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Maude

I'd do what Maude suggests.

She might be onto something...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Best replacement trigger for a Remington 700?

A Tikka.

f\For just a bit more than a Jewell you can get the rifle that comes with the trigger, and it'll out shoot the Remington, too.
of the 700's with replacement triggers, .. 5 shilen , one jewell.
Just something to consider all around.. IIRC, NO firearms maker has had more trigger recalls and/or related issues than Remington.. It shouldn't happen, period.. That's all I'm sayin'...

[Linked Image]

As to the above pic (and I'm hearing similar tales more and more from owners even around here), here's what I'd suggest for those that want an extra level of security:

[Linked Image]

I've not tried a Shilen trigger yet - but need to do so soon..
I have Jewell, Shilen, and Timney on various 700's.

The Jewell is great for a very light competition trigger, being able to adjust it externally is a very good feature (if you are a trigger tweaker). It has various safety/bolt release options - all at extra charge of course.

The Shilen has a narrow trigger shoe similar in width to the Jewell, however the two Shilen's I own both have sharp edges (think not rounded) on the trigger lever which I do not care for. The Shilen does not come with a safety lever/bolt release - it is an extra charge, or you can install a factory one off of an older Walker style trigger on it.

The Timney has a wider shoe and you will probably have to remove a slight amount of metal from the bottom edge of the trigger guard in order for it not to drag against it.
The Timney does come with safety/bolt release, also the safety is a sear blocking type - the way Remington should have done it in the first place and saved themselves a lot of money and bad press.

All adjusted easily to 1-1/2 lbs which is my preferred weight of pull.

Dollar-wise IMO the Timney is the way to go for a hunting rifle.

drover
Tried to find a pic of a failed M98 bolt but this was the best that I could come up with.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RDFinn

[Linked Image]

I talked to Defiance about that action today, just because it's pretty cool. Much better looking than the Mausenfield action.

Mike Lee <[email protected]>

Today at 3:02 PM

To taylorce1

Message body

Chad,

We ran into significant delays, but are very near to being in full production. What cartridge are you looking to build?

Mike Lee

Manager

Defiance Machine Inc.

[email protected]

406-892-2322 (Office)

3881 MT Hwy 40 W

Columbia Falls, MT 59912

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 6:45 PM
To: Sales
Subject: CRF actions

Did the CRF actions ever make production, and if so what is the cost? I tried to locate them on your web page but I'm not finding them. I'm interested in one with the M70 style safety, bolt handle that fits Remington stocks, repeater with magazine, and BDL style bottom metal.

Thank you,

taylorce1

Originally Posted by Redneck
Just something to consider all around.. IIRC, NO firearms maker has had more trigger recalls and/or related issues than Remington.. It shouldn't happen, period.. That's all I'm sayin'...

As to the above pic (and I'm hearing similar tales more and more from owners even around here), here's what I'd suggest for those that want an extra level of security:

[Linked Image]

I've not tried a Shilen trigger yet - but need to do so soon..

That's the main reason I want to replace the triggers. However, I've never had a problem with a M700 trigger or bolt handle but I've probably only owned about 15 total over they years. If I'm truly worried about the bolt handle coming off, there are guys obviously that can fix that fear for me.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

[Linked Image]

I talked to Defiance about that action today, just because it's pretty cool. Much better looking than the Mausenfield action.

Mike Lee <[email protected]>

Today at 3:02 PM

To taylorce1

Message body

Chad,

We ran into significant delays, but are very near to being in full production. What cartridge are you looking to build?

Mike Lee

Manager

Defiance Machine Inc.

[email protected]

406-892-2322 (Office)

3881 MT Hwy 40 W

Columbia Falls, MT 59912

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 6:45 PM
To: Sales
Subject: CRF actions

Did the CRF actions ever make production, and if so what is the cost? I tried to locate them on your web page but I'm not finding them. I'm interested in one with the M70 style safety, bolt handle that fits Remington stocks, repeater with magazine, and BDL style bottom metal.

Thank you,

taylorce1

I agree those mausenfields are not pleasing to the eyes.............
The standard extractor that Defiance uses is the M-16 extractor. For the life of me, I can't understand why someone thinks they need something stronger than that.
I spoke with Norm a few days ago, and I'm under the impression that the 3 pos mod 70 type safety is available now in either CM or SS.

The law of averages are not in favor of a company who has sold more than 5 times as many rifles than the others have too. Just sayin.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I’ve not tried a Shilen trigger yet - but need to do so soon..

Very nice job on the bolt handle...and shilen triggers are tough to beat at the price.
I would never waste my time drilling, tapping and screwing a bolt handle on when Dan Armstrong of www.accutig.com is in business.

In 25 years of building rifles and, several hundred or more Remingtons come through my shop, I've only ever had one bolt handle come off. It was a 700 handle that someone had silver soldered onto an XP-100 bolt to replace the "dogleg".
I have a nickle Timney with safety set at 2.5lbs. I have been very pleased with it. Trigger shoe is wide though.

Timney makes a thin shoe trigger too if you like their product.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/-Remington-700-w-Safety-and-THIN-Trigger-P71.aspx
Originally Posted by DocEd
I would never waste my time drilling, tapping and screwing a bolt handle on when Dan Armstrong of www.accutig.com is in business.

In 25 years of building rifles and, several hundred or more Remingtons come through my shop, I've only ever had one bolt handle come off. It was a 700 handle that someone had silver soldered onto an XP-100 bolt to replace the "dogleg".

Says accutig.com domain is for sale, so he may be out of business.
Try

http://www.accu-tig.com/

Plus, if your Rem 700 bolt is off-time, or if you just think the factory R700 handle is way overrated , Dan can correct it.

[Linked Image]
Carbon12, thanks. I made a typo. I can't believe a young man like Dan would be giving up a great business like his.
© 24hourcampfire