Home
Posted By: davidsapp NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
Any input from owners about Mr Forbe's front loader? I'm using a Savage Smokeless now, a great rifle but it's hefty. I have a NULA 30/06 and really enjoy carrying and shooting it, would be a joy to have a muzzleloader as svelte, especially if it's a shooter.

Thanks
David
Posted By: jmo1754 Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
I am not sure what it weighs, Have you looked at the Knight Ultra lite
Posted By: Aviator Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
I like mine been hunting with it for a good while now !
Posted By: Double_D Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
build one off a CVA apex 45/70, I have one and love it

very handy gun, pm if you would like more info
Posted By: jdunham Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
I have one. Parker 275BE and 44gr SR4759 does under an inch. Will have to find another load after my supply of 4759 is gone. It is a nice muzzleloader. Mine was the only used one I have ever seen and I pounced on it. Have had it for several years.

The only complaint I have ever heard is the ramrod is a piece of sh&t for a top end muzzleloader. I use a range rod at the range and before I head out hunting. Never had much opportunity to reload it when hunting since I always seem to hit what I am aiming at with it so it really doesn't bother me.

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
It's done set in....NULA fever. No cure. Go ahead and put one on order David.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Any input from owners about Mr Forbe's front loader? I'm using a Savage Smokeless now, a great rifle but it's hefty. I have a NULA 30/06 and really enjoy carrying and shooting it, would be a joy to have a muzzleloader as svelte, especially if it's a shooter.

Thanks
David

I'm a big fan of the NULA ML'er............The only issue I ever had with mine was the dreaded ramrod Melvin provides. The easy fix was calling and ordering a new ramrod and spinjag from Phil Gunn:

http://www.spinjag.com/

You've been a member here since 2005 but maybe never paid attention to this stuff much. smile Here's some deer killed via my NULA:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: davidsapp Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/17/15
Thanks guys!

Fine deer Lawd!

Jay you're right about the fever, maybe sepsis is a better term. In rifle looney thinking, I rationalize a NULA in 30/06, 50 cal, 22 LR, and my Benelli M1 and never need anything else..... Well maybe a 223 and 7/08

I talked with Mr Forbes today prior to the post, doesn't seem like he will do a stainless barrel and discourages Ceracoat. 50 cal only. 6-7 month wait. I have a folding ramrod, so will likely avoid the attached one.

Those of y'all that own one, any downside other than the ramrod? Is the 209 primer set up much of a PITA?

David
Also, is the safety the same as the standard NULA CF rifle?
The Only drawback to the primer set up is if you have big fingers like me it can be cumbersome sometimes priming ..the breech system is sealed when the bolt is closed I get zero blowback around the breech plug or primer ! You probably won't be in a hurry to reload anyway everything I ever shot with mine was dead before I could think about reloading..I shoot a 275 Parker and VV N 110 in mine.
Yes it is the same safety..
Lawdwaz
Thanks for the link to the one piece spinjag ramrod, that looks like quality.

Aviator
Thanks for the info. Jay had told me the 209 priming wasn't a cinch at times with his NULA 209. Is the breech plug much issue on removing? Does the breech plug use liners like a Savage? I'd imagine that plug replacement could be an issue if proprietary and Mr Forbes quits producing them.

David

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
The primer is a little tricky for me. Nothing extreme, but not as easy as a savage. There is a technique to it.

No liners on the bp. It takes a socket (on an extension) for removing the bp, no issue removing.
Posted By: jdunham Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
I haven't been lucky enough to kill any big bucks like LawDawz. Mine usually is filling doe tags and the freezer at the end of the season. Based on what you are saying you are looking for I seriously doubt you would be disappointed in a NULA.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Aviator Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
Jdunham what load do you use in your nula ?
Posted By: jdunham Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
Parker 275BE and 44gr SR4759
Posted By: Aviator Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
I've got some 4759 might have to try it..
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
David, check out the CVA Apex conversion that Double D recommended. A friend of mine on the mountain builds smokeless muzzleloaders, mainly on Remington muzzleloader and model 700 actions, but he said his next one would be the CVA conversion. The .45-70 barrel is threaded for the Savage smokeless breech plug and rather than mount a ramrod to the barrel, he uses a 3 piece collapsible rod that fits in a coat pocket.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
209 NULA Breech Plug:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Spin Jag............

[Linked Image]
The BEST primer tool for the NULA breech plug is shown below. Also in the picture is my little pouch that holds powder vials, bullets and primer tool. (275 Parker BE/SR 4759 powder)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: davidsapp Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/18/15
Thanks for all the info and great pics. I think that myself and a couple friends at work plan on calling Mr Forbes tomorrow and place an order. I hope the wait time is close to the reported 6 months

Lawdwaz
Do you have a model/source for the capper? I was planning on trying a TC T bone, but that looks better. Do you shoot 44 gr of 4759 like Jdunham also?

Leon
How's the mountain.? Acorns were a bust on Wheeler mountain for us. Rut looks like it's just getting going also.
I don't know if your brother mentioned it, but we were talking about getting after some rabbits after deer season. Dibrell has some good fields on the river that should hold a few

David

Originally Posted by davidsapp

Lawdwaz
Do you have a model/source for the capper? I was planning on trying a TC T bone, but that looks better. Do you shoot 44 gr of 4759 like Jdunham also?

T Bone won't work for a lefty, I don't recall how it works for a righty.

The one I use was patented by Ted D Cash. I have two now, one is a back up sold by RMC Muzzleloading "209 Capper" Product #ML848. The original piece I have is from Traditions but it has the Patent Number and "TDC" on it.

Here is a link to one on Ebay........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-Line-209-Primer-Dispenser-Capper-by-Tedd-Cash-/281495786782?hash=item418a74d51e:g:~UAAAOSwPe1T3bLl
I use 43 grains of SR4759
Posted By: jdunham Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/19/15
There is one listed on Gun Broker now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=523192571
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by jdunham

Instant gratification!
Posted By: davidsapp Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/20/15
Mr Forbes is doing up three of the M209s for a couple guys at work and myself. Mailing in deposit today, the price really isn't any different than the one on Gunbroker and I've never ordered a new to me custom. It's interesting ordering from Mr Forbes, he definitely has opinions on what works.

Thanks for everyone's help. Hope to be shooting one in about 6-7 months
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/20/15
He knows what he speaks!

(don't ask about ramrods though!)

Oh......what are your color schemes going to be?
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/20/15
Sounds like congratulations are in order. When it comes in, let us know how it shoots. I think we already know how it will shoot, but targets with tiny groups are always fun to see.
Posted By: davidsapp Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/20/15
Thanks

It's a bit of a splurge but I'm in a consolidation mood and will let go of several rifles and MLs in the next while.

Right now, color scheme is a brown base with wide black stripes. That seems to have been the hardest choice. The std NULA with wide stripes was hard not to choose. No ramrod and then added ceracoat against Mr Forbes advice. He let the ceracoat slide...
Posted By: jdunham Re: NULA muzzleloader - 11/20/15
You won't regret the purchase. They are a nice muzzleloader. Mine was used so I didn't have the stress of picking the color.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NULA muzzleloader - 01/07/16
Two more via the NULA/Parker combo..................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire