Home
Posted By: Seafire Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/17/15
Just received the rifle that was ordered via Whittaker Guns, the shop of ShortActionSmoker...

I've owned a Ruger American for the last year or so, in 223.. it is their Predator Model...1 in 8 twist, 4 round detachable magazine...very very accurate shooter....

now I can set it side by side with the Howa 1500 in their new Super Short Action...

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/276

[img]https://shop.whittakerguns.com/api/v1/e/locker/id/563d066a77fc000414c58b8b[/img]

Sitting them side by side to compare them quickly shows there is no comparison...

Ruger's weak spots are the flimsy feeling stock and the questionable quality 4 round magazine, that is awfully short...where one has to seat heavier bullets that the faster twist is meant for, fairly deep into the case...

The Howa on the flip side...the stock is good and solid...the trigger right out of the box breaks crisper and lighter than the adjusted one of the American...

comparing magazines.... Ruger's 4 round mag has been a weak point...don't feel well, poor quality, too short...

Howa is supplying a 10 round mag with theirs, light polymer but definitely a lot more attention to quality..

the rifle is available in both a 20 inch barrel in what they list as a number one contour....

and in a 22 inch barrel listed as a number 2 contour...I ended up picking up the latter...

The Ruger supplies a 1 in 8 twist barrel and is threaded for a suppressor....the Howa is NOT threaded for a suppressor, so that would be a gun smith mod... and it has a one in 9 twist...

the Howa's mag will easily take a cartridge the length that the Cotis Mag modification will...

if you are looking for extra mags, the Rugers are $40 from Ruger... and an extra 10 round mag is $50 from Legacy...

Ruger's mag is a rotary like on the 10/22s...

Howa's is the much simpler spring and stacked...less to go wrong..

will follow up with some range target pics when I get it out to the range...but I doubt I'll be disappointed in the Howa's accuracy...haven't been disappointed in any other Howa I've ever shot.. that's for darn sure...

Whittaker shipped the rifle to my local FFL guy for $345 on the door step and insured...and very quick turn around..
Can't wait for the 6.5 Grendel in the mini action! Or the 6x45...
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/18/15
Does the Howa come in anything other than the Hogue rubber stock?
Barreled actions are on the web site. If everybody emails Boyd's, there should at least be that option soon. Though at $345 shipped, maybe you could buy the whole thing.
my mini action one came with a synthetic stock that is not a Hogue.. and its alot nicer of a stock, than is on my Ruger
When they roll out a Kryptek Highlander synthetic in a 16-18" threaded AAC Blackout, I'll get in line.
I only see it in blued. If they made it in stainless I'd buy one, but no stainless no buy for me.
Posted By: tzone Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/19/15
I can fit 6 .223 rounds into my RAR mag.
Well T....

they must have sent you a different mag than they 4 or 5 they sent me...

you got some inside pull with Ruger or something of that sort...

addendum...

TZ, tried and fit 5 into one of my mags for the RAR...
jammed it up and then had to spend some time getting the other 4 out of there, seemed to mess up the spring in the rotary mag...

will just send it back to Ruger....

but if you have one that you can fit 5 into and one in the chamber... well kudos to you... ya got a little good luck going there...
I swear I can fit six in it. I'll check after dinner.
I just put 6 in there and it cycled them. Send my your cell and I can text you a video if you don't believe me.
Mine hold 5
It was Winchester power point 55gr. I also do it with 62gr win power bonded or something.
Originally Posted by tzone
I just put 6 in there and it cycled them. Send my your cell and I can text you a video if you don't believe me.

TZone, my friend there is never a question of believing you....
your word is gold in my book....same with Steelie's...

just the 4 mags I have only function with 4...

maybe I have older models as If I recall JB said something about they were going to revamp the mag as they had issues with it..

so I may have earlier production models...

The magazine tho is a big reason for me replacing my RAR/Predator.. great shooting rifle... but I just like the Howa I am replacing it with quite a bit better overall...
Complain to Ruger and see if they offer to swap out your mags for newer/mobetta ones.
Mine is relitivily new. September probably. It's a compact.
No issues with the stock mag that came with my RA Ranch. Holds and feeds 5 fine.
Originally Posted by tzone
I swear I can fit six in it. I'll check after dinner.

My Ruger is in 300 Blackout and uses the .223 magazine and mine'll hold 6 in the mag as well, Tom.
Called Ruger this morning...

they are sending me out a new magazine... stating that they have made some mods or improvements on them since my came off the assembly line...

they told me to send in my other mags and they will either modify or replace them with the newer version...

thanks guys for bringing this to my attention...its been a real weak spot on this rifle since I brought it home...

she's accurate but sure has been single shot a lot...otherwise its a jamming machine...
Seafire

I'd like to know how the mini Howa compares to the old Sako Vixen? That's one I'd like to get my hands on, but they're a tad spendy..... BT53
Alan,

I haven't played with the Sako Vixen, only shooting a friend's a couple of times, and then he passed away suddenly... his wife tried to give it to me, but I passed on it, just not feeling right about it...it was a Mannlicher 222 model...

If you have any desire to fondle the Howa Mini Action 223, send me a PM and we can line up a time to do so, either over in Medford ( White City) or if you make it up to the Josephine County Range...

would be good to see you... its been a while...
The Howa Mini Action does come in stainless, just seems Legacy Sports isn't importing them. Seen some on the web from New Zealand.
Originally Posted by Omenator
The Howa Mini Action does come in stainless, just seems Legacy Sports isn't importing them. Seen some on the web from New Zealand.

Must be another EPA reg against them....
they don't seem to like things the American consumer would like to have from other countries whistle
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Mine hold 5

How do you guys like the little Ruger? I am considering a ranch rifle in 300 Black out as a first deer gun for my grandson. Its light, inexpensive, recoil is moderate, muzzle blast low, compared to a cheaper to shoot Marlin in 30-30 with more recoil than the little BO.
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Seafire

I'd like to know how the mini Howa compares to the old Sako Vixen? That's one I'd like to get my hands on, but they're a tad spendy..... BT53

Howa Mini on the left, Vixen on the right.

[Linked Image]

The Howa Mini is pretty slick, but it is no Vixen. They got the action right, but the rest of the rifle doesn't match with the miniaturized action. When you handle a Vixen, everything is svelte. The stock, the barrel contour, the bottom metal. They're truly slick.

That said, I am really loving the Howa Mini so far. For $329.00 I don't see how you can go wrong.

Travis
Originally Posted by GeoW
Does the Howa come in anything other than the Hogue rubber stock?

My understanding of the stock on the Mini is that it is a Hogue, with the rubber exterior removed.

It is nothing special but it is serviceable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had to float and bed mine, but I don't think I was adequately drunk the first time I bedded it. It had some stringing and other signs of not UBERness.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I got re-drunker the next day and bedded it again. When it plopped four this close together in a full value, 15-20mph wind, I went home and loaded up 50 more.

[Linked Image]

These are the 60gr. V-Max and 27.5gr's of CFE 223. Why this bullet and powder? No idea. Drunk 'flave was running this project so I just stayed out of his way.

Dave
For those that are curious about such things, you can seat bullets to a COL of about 2.300. I think I settled on 2.280 as it was just off the lands. I was able to square the 50gr and 60gr. V-Max into the lands and still use the mag.

[Linked Image]
This is where the magic happens....

[Linked Image]

I think I'll just take over this thread completely now.

I had some aluminum Weaver bases and some UBER Weaver 4X4 rings and a 10X Bushnell tactical. I can't remember what rifle I took the scope off of, but I don't recall it ever causing any problems in the past so it was a relatively safe bet.

Weighed 7lbs with all this schit on it. I see a Super Sniper 1-4X in it's immediate future but I will leave it sit for right now as I want to use it on dogs this week.

[Linked Image]
Bare rifle:

[Linked Image]
Comes with both hinged floorplate and DBM or not?
Originally Posted by Seafire
Alan,

I haven't played with the Sako Vixen, only shooting a friend's a couple of times, and then he passed away suddenly... his wife tried to give it to me, but I passed on it, just not feeling right about it...it was a Mannlicher 222 model...

I'd reconsider that...

Travis
Comes with both hinged floorplate and DBM or not?

DBM only.

This is the one I got from SAS for $329.00. I have seen Howa's in the past that came with both. Not sure if the Mini's are the same or not.

Travis
How much sticks out da bottom (rifle)
Originally Posted by deflave
Alan,

I'd reconsider that...

Travis

No kidding, I'd take the rifle and do the widow.
Only thing I can add is that I went to the range yesterday and set out jugs @ the 2 and the 3. Nothing was surviving as I worked the bolt as fast as I could and let fly.

Painted steel at the same distances and everything was well under MOA and that was for 6-7 shots. Not three. All shot prone from a bipod. Got the barrel pretty damn hot and it just kept laying them in there. I wanted to run down and get pics but the public range is border line dangerous this time of year so I didn't bother.

The trigger is a two-stage and I didn't have to touch it. It is a great trigger. Breaks as clean as any Timney or Shilen or Sako I have. I don't really like two-stage triggers but they beat the fugk out of the Savage/RAR/Glock fugking things IMO.

McMillan is not inletting for the Mini. If you want them to make a mold you have to order 50. If you want exclusive rights to the Mini inlet and pattern you choose, you need to order 100.

Dave
Dave,

Do you have the 20" No. 1 contour or the 22" barrel? Thanks.
I will get the model number today.

Travis
How much sticks out da bottom (rifle)

Will measure and get a better pic.

Travis
What the [bleep] are you waiting for? Don't need a measurement, a pic would be cool.
Originally Posted by qotsarock
Dave,

Do you have the 20" No. 1 contour or the 22" barrel? Thanks.

Mine is HMA60203+

It is the 22" #2 model. But it actually measures 21".

Travis
Please do not snap at me.

Travis
Thanks. Was hoping to get real life weight of the 20" version, but this is helpful too. Surprised yours is 21" versus the specs of 22."
[Linked Image]
Thanks. Was hoping to get real life weight of the 20" version, but this is helpful too. Surprised yours is 21" versus the specs of 22."

I'd say a #1 contour is going to put it right at the advertised weight.

Travis
Posted By: Azar Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/23/15
Man, here I was getting close to pulling the trigger on getting a Ruger American .223 in either the Predator or the All-weather. Hadn't heard of the Howa Mini but now you have my curiosity peaked.

You got me all sorts of confused...
Thanks for the info and the pic. Rifle looks nice.
Originally Posted by Azar
Man, here I was getting close to pulling the trigger on getting a Ruger American .223 in either the Predator or the All-weather. Hadn't heard of the Howa Mini but now you have my curiosity peaked.

You got me all sorts of confused...

Don't overlook the standard Howa either. You can get them for the same price and you won't have to deal with the mag constraints of the RAR and the Mini.

Travis
Thanks for the info and the pic. Rifle looks nice.

Lovin' it.

Travis
Alan,

I'd reconsider that...

Travis

Well that is not really an option... He passed in 2003....
Never know how a thread on RAR v.s.Howa will twist.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/23/15
For all its faults I can't but help liking the shape of the Houge stocks.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by carbon12
Never know how a thread on RAR v.s.Howa will twist.

Yep, this thread may gain some serious traction yet...

So, where do we go from here?
Originally Posted by 10at6
For all its faults I can't but help liking the shape of the Houge stocks.

The stock is the UBER fail portion of this endeavor IMO.

They should have gone with a Mini specific handle and really trimmed it down.

Travis
Alan,

I'd reconsider that...

Travis

Well that is not really an option... He passed in 2003....

Hey John, I'd really like to see that Howa in person.

Since I've not been to the GP range, I'd like to do that as well smile

Thinking sometime in January will be best as I'm way busier than I wanna be right now.

I really like the Sako Vixen version - the sleek egros are the best and the action superb. I was hoping the mini would be it's reincarnation....

Deflave: Thanks for the pics and info. I agree with your assessment of the stock. I don't mind the material, there's just too much of it.....
BT,

I may be selling a Vixen in .222 Remington Magnum if you're interested.

Travis
BT,

I may be selling a Vixen in .222 Remington Magnum if you're interested.

Travis

Trav,

While I certainly could be, the fact is my play money has taken a hit and there are other, more pressing needs (wants).
I have a 700 in .204, so I'm not doing without.

BT
Somewhat because of this thread, there is a Howa Mini in .223 inbound from Whittaker's. A sweet deal considering the price point and reasonable shipping.

I'll find out next week when delivery is scheduled but can anyone report if the trigger guard/magazine slot is molded polymer or metal?
Posted By: Azar Re: Ruger American VS Howa 1500 - 12/04/15
Another question on the Mini. Are there 5 round magazines (preferably flush fit) available? I'm not a huge fan of DBM's on a bolt action and even less so for ones that protrude from the bottom of the stock. Otherwise this rifle really appeals to me. I just cant decide between it and the Ruger Hawkeye All Weather...

Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire