Home
If comparing a Remington'700 mountain SS in 308 vs a Tikka T3 Lite 308 which one is better rifle?
Which one more accurate???

Which one do you prefer ? Why?
I prefer the Remington a lot more aftermarket accessories available plus I'm a Remington guy also I think the ountain rifle has a better stock.Have you considered a Remington model seven stainless?
I have thought about the seven- but the mountain offers everything that the seven does- and a 2 inch longer barrel - lighter weight- and a short action.
I'm a raised cheekpiece fan and the 700 MR stock, both walnut and laminated, are among my favorite factory installed stocks.

I've owned several MRs and have recycled MR stocks on several other rifles.

I've never owned a Tikka of any sort, so I can't comment on them, for or against.
I've got a Tikka T3 Lite, and while it's plenty accurate, I like the Remington stock MUCH better. And really, any modern rifle with good bedding and come simple care can be a 1 MOA shooter. What more do you need?

I prefer the Rem with a McEdge stock. I have a 260 and a 7-08 and love them. The Tikka LA for all calibers is definitely a negative.
I have a SS M700 SPS and a Tikka T3 lite and they are very close, both accurate, light and well balanced. Tikka has a better trigger, M700 has a better recoil pad.

LimbSaver makes a good replacement recoil pad for the Tikka and
Timney makes an excellent trigger assembly for a M700. The Tikka action is adjusted to not have a long throw for short calibers.

I think the decision is between if you want a removable clip magazine in a T3 or a fixed magazine in a 700.

Happy Hunting
id go with the remington
I have been a Remington man since my first rifle, a Remington Model 511, back in 1958. That said, I have owned four Tikkas and find them to be more accurate than Remingtons. The Remington Mountain rifle was not known for accuracy. The standard Model 700 and the Model 7 rifles are generally accurate. I have owned one Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, a 30-06, and it wasn't very accurate. Remington has the advantage of being "the small block Chevy" of centerfire rifles - everyone makes aftermarket gear for them.
I've had both. I'd buy the Tikka again over the Remington. Same overall weight but the Tikka has a standard weight barrel vs a pencil thin barrel on the Mt Rifle. The Tikka was the more accurate gun.
If you want a carbine-style rifle, I recommend the Remington Model 7. I have owned three, and all shot well. I sold two, but still have the first one I bought 25 years ago, a blued/walnut 18-1/2" barreled 7mm-08. It shoots very well. Wearing a Leupold Compact 4x scope it weighs 7 lbs. even ready to hunt. I don't want it lighter. I have a target I shot in 1991 using a Leupold 2.5x Compact scope - five shots into 1/2". I sold the 308 and the 260, and I'm sorry that I did. The 260 was a stainless 20" job, and it shot very well. Don't ask why I sell guns that shoot..
Tikka. Cut the barrel to 18" and go forth and slay things.
Both will weigh about the same. I like T's and R's but the blind mag wins for me. Accuracy isn't an issue if you can tweak stuff. If I didn't have either and wanted a 308, itd be a Montana. But that wasnt your question and I might as well be the one to throw it in the thread.
I went with the Remington because the Tikka is ugly.

I went with the Remington because the MR is my favorite stock.

I went with the Remington because I have always been a Remington fan.

I went with the Remington because Remingtons normally are fairly accurate.

I went with the Remington because I prefer the bdl mag.

I went with the Remington because if I want to change something later there are plenty of aftermarket parts and gunsmiths that work on them.

I went with Remington and don't regret it.

Dave.
I've got both. The Tikka is a decent rifle. No real challenge to get one to shoot.

BUT

I just can't love them. They just are missing something. Maybe it's the plastic, though very durable. Maybe it's the detachable mag. I don't know.

If I had to choose, it would be Remington every time. I don't own a single Remington I would get rid of in favor of either of my Tikkas.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I prefer the Rem with a McEdge stock. I have a 260 and a 7-08 and love them. The Tikka LA for all calibers is definitely a negative.

This.
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I've got both. The Tikka is a decent rifle. No real challenge to get one to shoot.

BUT

I just can't love them. They just are missing something. Maybe it's the plastic, though very durable. Maybe it's the detachable mag. I don't know.

If I had to choose, it would be Remington every time. I don't own a single Remington I would get rid of in favor of either of my Tikkas.

i agre with this. ive actually got a tikka im about to sell and get another Remington in its place. great shooting rifle but i cant get attached to it
700 +10 and yes, I have several T3s.

I've had both;

The Rem MR just seems to be what a rifle 'Should Be'.

Both are accurate.

Prefer the heavier barrel of the Tikka for the balance.

The Tikka safety (on) locks the bolt down (unlike the later/present Remingtons).

The Plastikka Stock is one of the best (and lightest -most are/were damned heavy) injection molded stocks (IMO).

Now I really like the Tikka detachable magazine, in my limited experience of detachable magazines (Rem. 788, Ruger American, M-16 & Tikka) it is the best.

Jerry

I own(ed) both. I prefer the Rem. I like the trigger better, it looks much nicer and that Tikka has a lot of plastic on it and zero aftermarket support.
If you think there is zero after market support for the Tikka T3, you're not looking very hard.
At 1000 bucks. The Rem MR is just not the value it once was.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
If you think there is zero after market support for the Tikka T3, you're not looking very hard.

i stand corrected...very little aftermarket support
Tikka any day for me - I just prefer European precise engineering and the T3 is extremely well made and finished.

The early 700s were of course a different story to what Remington make now.

Maybe I'll
Just go with a ruger 77 compact in 308...
I would look hard at the Tikka Forest. Nice wood makes up fpr some of the plastic. I would then replace some of the plastic stuff. I think the Tikka platform already has a nicer robust trigger, and slicker bolt. Rare not to have a Tikka shoot well.

Tikka aftermarket:
http://tikkaperformance.com/

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
At 1000 bucks. The Rem MR is just not the value it once was.

Budsgunshop.com has all the mountain rifles you want at $848 delivered. The t3 lite rigs were $700 to $750 delivered. I'd take a short action 700 mountain rifle over the t3.
Went through this debate with myself a couple years ago (add in a model 70 fwt), ended up getting a SS mtn rifle. The mtn rifle stock and floorplate (vs detach mag) were the main points that tipped the scale vs the Tikka. I could have lived with the "plastic" parts of the Tikka, though neither are what I consider "fine" rifles. I consider the Tikkas somewhat overpriced for what they are (approx. 900 for a stainless) and the last jump in mtn rifle prices (over 1100 up here now) has me shaking my head.
My mtn rifle shoots 130 ballistic tips and interlocks well (270), I have not tried other bullet weights yet.
The three rifles were within $100 of each other at the time.
I have experienced a few 700's and one tikka and I think they are both great. My guess is the average tikka is likely to shoot a bit better out of the box and be less picky with ammo/load types, but the euro styling, mag, action length, plastic, and ejection port size bother some. The 700 is what most are used to. You may have to add the cost of a Timney onto the 700, while the tikka had a great stock trigger.

At the same price, I would have a tough time choosing but would likely go for the 700 MR. I got a T3 lite with Burris for $450 with a $150 rebate on top of that and at that price had NO trouble choosing. I always wanted a 700 MR and have never gotten around to picking one up, the tikka is nice and light and does the same thing, so I am really happy with it for now.
Originally Posted by CoolHandHodge
Originally Posted by David_Walter

i stand corrected...very little aftermarket support

Wrong again. There is lots and lots of aftermarket support.

Probably The most after Remington, Winchester and Savage.
I like the guns just fine but I just don't agree with you that there is lots and lots of aftermarket support. Doesn't mean the guns are bad...I like them a lot and would rather have one that a Winchester ruger or savage... As always ymmv...

Maybe there are more options since I last owned one...very possible I'm wrong...happens often!
The 700 Mountain Rifle with the B&C stock for $875 ish isn't a bad deal at all. Saw one at Cabelas a few weeks back for $699 used. Should have jumped on it.
It's fair...not a great deal but not a bad one either. Very nice rifle regardless...I'd be proud to own it
Tikka, scope that makes you happy, sling. All the support you need. Rem. probably the same, but without rings (that will start a new Chitt storm). I much prefer the safety on the Tikka. Not sure which way I would go if it was a straight up decision.
© 24hourcampfire