Home
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Thoughts on the Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Its to Heavy
Posted By: TwoEyedJack Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
My neighbor has this rifle. He took his wife to a shooting school and she won the final match with it. AFAIK, the rifle was unmodified.

I bought a Hawkeye stainless laminated from CDNN last summer in .308. My rifle is not as accurate as his, but I am not through fiddling with it. One thing is for sure, the platform is extremely robust.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Its to Heavy

Too heavy for what?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
8lbs 1 oz naked is to heavy for my liking JMHO
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
8lbs 1 oz naked is to heavy for my liking JMHO

Had one, and sold it unfired. Too heavy for me too.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Should put finished weight with glass around 9#. which is perfect. Aside from weight, how does it shoot?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
What a buncha weenies.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like alla my ruger Creeds, but the Hawkeye Predator is the pick o' da litter.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Holy chit, when an 8 pound rifle is "too heavy" it's about time to take up golf....
Posted By: sbhooper Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Holy chit, when an 8 pound rifle is "too heavy" it's about time to take up golf....

No caca! sick
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
or quilting. or checkers.......
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
laugh
Posted By: postoak Re: ruger thoughts - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Naked, that's heavy. Many rifles are under 7 and almost none over 7.5 -- even that is uncommon.

I have 3 rifles that go over 9 pounds with scopes on them. They are good for hunting out of a box blind only, IMO, and when I thin the herd, they'll be the first to go.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
I see you're from texas. They'll never leave.......
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
I'd never willingly pick a 9 pound rifle to chase goats or deer in the alpine or really any up and down sheit.

Granted, this does look pretty steep....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
gawddammit, I did shoot from that 20 foot tall rise behind me......

If it goes 'over' 20 foot tall, I might just grab the 6 lb Montana 260.

But if a 9 pounder is in my hands when I need to hump it up a real mountain or carry it aways, I believe I'd just 'man-up' and tote it, rather than whining on the innerweb about how's it's 'toooooo heavy' and how it'll be the 'first to go' if I have to step out of the 'box blind'....
Posted By: 1Nut Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
laugh

I've got several Rugers. Not my choice either, for hiking that involves steep and far. They are built like tanks.

Most shoot pretty well most of the time IME. I've got a 270 Win that took some effort, but it finally came around after lapping lugs, trigger job (all rifles at least need an adjustment), bedding, and truing the crown. Oppositely, My Magnum in 375 H&H is sub MOA, and never touched it other than to shoot it and clean it.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
Mine is just a memory but right up there on the top five I should've kept list.

[Linked Image]

Liked the stock a lot and loved the two stage trigger. Weight with a rail, Pic rings, 10x SWFA, Harris, cheek rest, ammo, sling - fairly substantial but a kick in the ass in the open country. I, unlike many here, dislike Ruger's mounting BS and anything I tried with 30mm was too high IMO. Didn't find it to operate real smoothly and the barrel finish is not durable. Think I'd prefer a pushfeed on a dedicated long range rig but ultimately I live in the brush and don't get to play in the open enough. Either move or sell and moving sucks. Lol. Next? Bring on the Kimber Hunter in the Creedmoor. Love the Creedmoor.

EDIT to add: Post came off with more negatives. The Creedmoor Hawkeye Predator is an awesome instant over the counter LR accurate fun shooting rig....
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
My safe is full of bolt guns. The lightest one may be 7.25# naked and it's a Ruger Hawkeye standard.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
What a stupid thread.....op asked a stupid question and starts to argue as soon as guys respond. Now it's about who can carry the heaviest rifle hunting.

Kinda like a chick...tell me about this but tell me what I want to hear...lol
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized

Got a .308.

Not a single complaint.
Posted By: Micro_Groove Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
Walking up and down the alpine is over rated.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by Kaleb
What a stupid thread.....op asked a stupid question and starts to argue as soon as guys respond. Now it's about who can carry the heaviest rifle hunting.

Yah - totally outa line!!!!!!! Oh wait.... Huhh????

Its to Heavy

Too heavy for what?

Should put finished weight with glass around 9#. which is perfect. Aside from weight, how does it shoot?

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16
This thread has become all too funny....
Posted By: MZ5 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/25/16

[Linked Image]

Is that PTG bottom metal, or the GSR piece? Did you have to 'shave' a touch off the receiver where the bolt lugs ride to get the mags to sit & feed right?

OP: I love my Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Its an absolutely brilliant rifle package. It shoots beautifully, is chambered for one of the best-balanced factory cartridges available, and has the best factory/high-production trigger anywhere. Strong as a tank and durable, too.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16
The PTG won't work on the Rugers with the two-stage trigger. The BM is a Wyatt's. It's drop-in and uses Kevin's own mags...Not AI compatible.
Posted By: wageslave Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16

I lopped off my foreskin to save some ozs.........

Oh, I also removed 2 granola bars and an extra knife from my pack...

and the condoms.

My Rugers are now at fightin' weight.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16

Actually dickhead, no one was arguing. I asked about the rifle. Meaning "how does the thing shoot". Nothing about wether anyone here could carry it. So go back and watch cartoons and leave the gun talk to the men
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16
I have a Hawkeye Predator in Creedmoor. I have only had it at the range for a quick sight in session and shot one 3 shot group for accuracy. I shot a .35 3 shot group at 100 yards with the first handloads I threw together. That was off a makeshift rest. It's going to be pleasntly accurate. It occupies an odd niche as an 8 pound rifle with a 24 inch somewhat heavy barrel. It's not a rifle that would be my first pick for a mountain hunting rifle. It'd be at its best when used as a beanfield, sendero, or shooting box type rifle.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16

Actually dickhead, no one was arguing. I asked about the rifle. Meaning "how does the thing shoot". Nothing about wether anyone here could carry it. So go back and watch cartoons and leave the gun talk to the men

It's always the same old stuff with you. Ask all the questions that's already been answered and disagree with what you're told....and yea it turned into who can carry a heavy rifle pretty quick dork....
Posted By: 1Nut Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16

I don't see anything specifying how the rifle shoots, or that comments regarding weight are not welcome. The original question is above...
Pretty open ended. Open ended questions get a wide variety of responses. Thoughts were offered as asked for. Next time, I would suggest a specific question. However this IS the 'Fire and folks will offer things you never asked for. whistle Just sayin'...
Posted By: MZ5 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The PTG won't work on the Rugers with the two-stage trigger. The BM is a Wyatt's. It's drop-in and uses Kevin's own mags...Not AI compatible.

Thanks. Hadn't heard of that brand before.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: ruger thoughts - 01/26/16

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/75
© 24hourcampfire