Home

Defiance Rebel & Stiller Predator actions. Looking for opinions.

Heard tolerances on Predators are sometimes no better than factory REM. 700's.

You know how it is, you hear all kinds of things.
I'd have to go Defiance if no other reason that the rail is machined into the receiver. Defiance also makes their own bolts whereas Stiller uses PT&G bolts.

I have both a Surgeon 591 and a Borden Alpine and are happy with both. I also have a trued Rem. 700 which is much better than a factory Rem 700....Resale is soft though on a trued Rem 700.
I currently have a Defiance Rebel on order. Heard the same thing about Stiller tolerances... from a grand total of one person who was repeating it secondhand.

I believe they are the two most popular actions in PRS so I'd say both are very well built.

Will be interesting to hear from anyone who has firsthand experience with both.
I've had both, and they are pretty comparable. I prefer the overall build of the rebel better. The only thing I don't like about it, and give the edge to the stiller, is the bolt tolerance is really tight for a field rifle on the rebel. If i were to use another one, I would ask about having the bottle turned down a couple thousandths.
I'm not impressed with my Stiller. The bolt stop pin broke. Twice.
I have a Stiller Tac300 and it shoots very well for me (.2" groups) but if picking between the two mentioned above, I would give the Defiance a try. They are top notch actions with unlimited options to pick from.

However, I just ordered a Bighorn TL3 yesterday so thats the direction I am heading. Many good actions out there to build on. What are you building?

Nothing special. Bouncing between 25-06 and .257 Weatherby.

Can't decide, so may just build a 7-08. smile
I'm a fan of my Stiller

Here is a 300 yard group.

[Linked Image]
Pic of the rifle.

[Linked Image]

I don't have a Defiance ( Yet ! )
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I'm not impressed with my Stiller. The bolt stop pin broke. Twice.

Buddy of mine had the same problem with his stiller predator. Bolt stop broke on the 2nd stage of a two day match we traveled across country to shoot. We ended up putting a stick under his stock pack so create a bump stop to keep him from pulling the bolt out of the gun. He was able to finish the match that way.
I was looking at a Defiance yesterday and noticed that the bolt lug hits the stop, which then slides rearward and contacts the receiver. The impact load doesn't go into the pin holding the stop in place.

I handled a couple Stillers at a Gunwerks table and I was not impressed , the bolt cycle was sticky and I'm just not overly impressed with the design, but I'm sure an accurate rifle can be made out of one because they sell quite a few!

I've said it before that Stiller has gone thru more growing pains than any other clone....for me it's Defiance!
Had no idea that Gunwerks used Stiller actions. About fell over at their booth yesterday when they said it was $3k down, and $9k total for the LR1000 with NF crazy

Also handled the MOA Rifles rifles. Could have sworn that MOA or Gunwerks had a 700-style extractor, and not an M16.

I like the Defiance with integral rail.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Had no idea that Gunwerks used Stiller actions. About fell over at their booth yesterday when they said it was $3k down, and $9k total for the LR1000 with NF crazy

Also handled the MOA Rifles rifles. Could have sworn that MOA or Gunwerks had a 700-style extractor, and not an M16.

I'm pretty positive that Gunwerks has their own action now...they have a couple commercials/YouTube clips about it.
Originally Posted by adam32
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I'm pretty positive that Gunwerks has their own action now...they have a couple commercials/YouTube clips about it.

Correct, they are using their own action now, not sure who's making it........pricey is an understatement!
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I handled a couple Stillers at a Gunwerks table and I was not impressed , the bolt cycle was sticky

This has been my experience with Stillers as well.

I've had a couple Defiance rifles (as well as Nesika) and they are an easy step above Stiller IME.
The Defiance Rebel does not have an integral rail as has been incorrectly stated. The Rebel and the Predator have basically the same features. Probably tighter tolerances on the Rebel.
Defiance Rebels can be ordered with integral or removable rails.
Check out the new Bighorn TL3 action.
Or Borden Alpine
On a lighter build I'd go Borden!
Defiance. I like the quality control (small batches); they make their bolts; and the owner spoke with me at length about the action/caliber/options I wanted. I'm a Fan Boy.

HaYen
I have never had a defiance in my safe I have two predators and they are more than nice enough for me.
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I just had one in the shop for a build a couple months ago. The integral rail/receiver design was very impressive and obviously strong..

Not bad for a Rem clone.. laugh laugh
Check out Surgeon actions too......my personal favorite!!
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot

NO,

The Deviant has the integral rail. The Rebel does not. The Rebel can be ordered with a rail attached to it but it is not a machined in place integral rail like the Deviant has.

I have one Rebel and a two more currently on order.

I don't know anything about the Stiller.
You're right - it was the Deviant I had in. Checked my records book and LO & BEHOLD!

laugh
© 24hourcampfire