Home
Has anyone been successful at painting a Kimber Montana stock? if so, can we see some pics? Thanks
Yes. Rustoleum textured paint, Krylon Webbing, and flat clear coat. I'll post pix tonight if I get home early enough.
Stick has painted a few of them. Make fun of a scenar or brag about 1-10" twist 6mm and you'll see. Hope this helps.
Here's mine

[Linked Image]
Go on the Custom forum and look for a thread from darrenk - he has painted them and they look awesome.
I did this last month......before and after. Nothing fancy, easy to touch up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Here is mine.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You call that "success?" grin
he wouldn't have died if shot with the factory battleship gray.....
I can't believe you used a Leupold. What were you thinking?

PS, I meant success with the paint job, not the shot.
how do you prep the stock? just degrease and start spraying?
I hit mine with some 80 grit, and sprayed it. Just basically knocked off the factory texture. The new paint sticks very well, just give it time to cure for a day or two in a warm room.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Go on the Custom forum and look for a thread from darrenk - he has painted them and they look awesome.

darrenk75b
Calling it "success" is so, I dunno, judgmental. smile

[Linked Image]

The grey bedliner makes it look even greener than it actually is. Which is pretty dang green. I'm thinking, adding a tan layer next.
Some of these look absolutely GREAT. I have four Kimber montana stocks I need to do. I am not a fan of the battle ship color. I guess I will get lots of practice....
btw.....what process are you guys using to get the "spider web" or "drizzle look" with such fine thin lines? Thanks
Huntsman uses Krylon webbing spray. He gets it at Joann's when he goes to shop for his fabric and knitting supplies.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Huntsman uses Krylon webbing spray. He gets it at Joann's when he goes to shop for his fabric and knitting supplies.

grin
Here is one of mine[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by prm
Here's mine

[Linked Image]

Really like that.

You guys are going to make me paint some Montanas. grin
This one looked okay but then I took it on a Big Weekend Trip to Texas

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rylee1
Here is one of mine[Linked Image]

Is that the little Roberts you got from me Rylee? looks like my 280, thought I remember you saying you were gonna do a similar job on the 257R

The 280 AI you did that I have is a first class looker. smile

Gunner
Originally Posted by billiam280AI
Has anyone been successful at painting a Kimber Montana stock? if so, can we see some pics? Thanks

Not sure why anyone would want to screw up something so perfect. To each his own..
btw.....what process are you guys using to get the "spider web" or "drizzle look" with such fine thin lines? Thanks

Krylon webbing spray. If you've never used it before, buy two cans and practice on a 2x4 first. Trust me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Higbean

[Linked Image]

I really like that color. What is it?
OD green duracote that darrenk75b did for me.
Originally Posted by Higbean
OD green duracote that darrenk75b did for me.

Looks real good. Might go that route with one of mine.
No gunner that is your gun now. As soon as I posted the pic I saw it was the 280 which is now yours. I painted the 257 but now cant find the pic. I like the paint job on your 280 better so I will redo the 257 and try and match the 280
Darren did mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by longshot3

Krylon webbing spray. If you've never used it before, buy two cans and practice on a 2x4 first. Trust me.

+1 on this. Practice with an entire can and make sure you spray in all directions. Also, play with the speed at which you move the can. that is what got me the most. I did not practice enough. Didn't turn out terrible, but you can see a distinct difference in the butt and forearm.
Originally Posted by Shag

Not sure why anyone would want to screw up something so perfect. To each his own..

I don't mind the gray but the texture and color are different on all three of my rifles, from slick to 120 grit sandpaper.
My Montana in 308 Win has had a little more done to it besides painting the stock. I built up the stock in a few areas to make it fit me a little better and cut the barrel back a couple of inches to make it a little more handy. The barreled action was cerakoated black and then the stock painted. I've been more than happy with the looks and it shoots better than ever.

[Linked Image]
No gunner that is your gun now. As soon as I posted the pic I saw it was the 280 which is now yours. I painted the 257 but now cant find the pic. I like the paint job on your 280 better so I will redo the 257 and try and match the 280

10-4 Rylee, I know you'll get that 257R looking just the way you want it, I really like the job you did on my 280 AI, so does my BIL, he saw it last Dec at the Christmas deer hunt over in Arkansas, he tried to buy it, then ask if they make ammo for it.grin

I said, I made this ammo, but yes, you can buy 280 AI ammo, and NO, this rifle is not for sale.laugh
Originally Posted by Mathsr
My Montana in 308 Win has had a little more done to it besides painting the stock. I built up the stock in a few areas to make it fit me a little better and cut the barrel back a couple of inches to make it a little more handy. The barreled action was cerakoated black and then the stock painted. I've been more than happy with the looks and it shoots better than ever.

[Linked Image]

Nice, did you paint that yourself?
Yep. Rattle cans from Lowe's and patterns made with blue tape. Some people really like the look, some not so much...I guess I'm one that likes it and it is cheap and easy to do. The grey of the original stock tended to get light colored in low light. The stainless barrel and action glowed like a neon light in low light. I figured Cerakote for the steel and paint for the stock would cure the problem and maybe the buck it spooked would forget.
Originally Posted by Mathsr

[Linked Image]

I like the way that one looks. I'd put a little tan spot on the barrel.

I actually like the way my Montanas look from the factory. Haven't painted either one.
Coyotejunki I didn't mind the way my Montana looked right from the factory either. I was hunting late one afternoon, the sun had gone down and in the last light a buck stepped into the clear about 50 yards away and looked straight at me. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong, until I put my rifle in the stand the next day, at the same time. I walked out where the buck was and looked back and was amazed at the light reflected from the barrel and the light grey stock. They were almost glowing. Not hard to decide to paint the stock and Cerakote the barreled action at that point. I might need a little tan on the barrel to break up that straight black line.

Since I had decided to paint the stock, I took the opportunity to build up the grip and fore end to provide a fuller grip, similar to a Browning Safari. To me, the Montana is as it should be now and definitely a keeper.
It's the blue tint in the factory grey.

(kidding) smile
Gunner here is your old 257 Bob[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The paint I used.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great looking Montanas fellas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I did a lot more than just paint this one

Shortened the grip cap by 1/8"

Blended all the stock to metal tangents

Heavily radiused all sharp edges....especially around the mag box bottom

Re-beaded the action and floated the tube more

Replaced the recoil lug screw with a Remington screw

Bead blasted the entire SS metal works for a better matt finish

Removed all the factory paint then re-painted....

Then sold it off after using it one season

[Linked Image]
Ted that's the definition of looneyism. That was a bang up rifle!!
Gunner here is your old 257 Bob[Linked Image]

SWEET, fine job Rylee. smile
Mine

[Linked Image]
Bearstalker, Anymore pics, maybe a close up?
[Linked Image]
Faux.
[Linked Image]
I have a semi-ridiculous question to bring this back to life.

Has anyone ever seen a really well done faux wood paint job? I’m considering getting my Montana painted to an exhibition grade English/French walnut look. I have given up on trying to find a classic select I like enough to buy as the nice ones are $$$. A custom stock is both $$$ and would make it a fair amount heavier.
I've re-did mine since this thread started.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
If I tried, I would make a mess out of a stock
Oh chit, old thread. Maybe duplicates. LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thinkin bout a Kimber hunter in 7mm 08.
Dunno anything about em.
Dont mean to hi jack this thread but since folks here own something like em....

Whats the diff between Montana and Hunter?
I’ve had good luck on a handful of Montana stocks using Brownells alumahyde. Spray a base color and sponge on contrasting colors ala manners style.

Never tried to get a faux wood look but I’m sure if a guy wanted to spend the money a good cerakote guy that knows his way around an airbrush could likely make a good run at it.
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
I have a semi-ridiculous question to bring this back to life.

Has anyone ever seen a really well done faux wood paint job? I’m considering getting my Montana painted to an exhibition grade English/French walnut look. I have given up on trying to find a classic select I like enough to buy as the nice ones are $$$. A custom stock is both $$$ and would make it a fair amount heavier.

Hyrdro film is likely your best bet.
This place has a lot of hyrdro transfers options - maybe you'll find something that makes your socks go up and down:

https://watertransferprinting.com/product-cat/hydrographic-film/wood-grain/
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Oh chit, old thread. Maybe duplicates. LOL

I like that!

I won't attempt to paint my Montanas until they get a lot more scuffs on them. When I do, I'd like this look.

BTW, I'd imagine that these speckled/web type paint schemes would hide the occasional scuff or light scratch. Would that be a correct assumption?
Yah, I'd say that is correct. Those three stocks are various Duracoat applications with Cerakote clear topcoat. I didn't get many pics of the gray one figured the guy who it was for would be posting some, he never did. It had a lots of depth.
© 24hourcampfire