Home
Posted By: Moses Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
I am either going to put together (buy) a Stainless Remington Seven and add an Edge/Manners stock or just buy a new old style Kimber Montana. .260/.243. They are both in the same price range and will finish out in the low 6lbs range with a VX3 2.5X8/Talleys. Advantages, disadvantages? Experiences? Would love a NULA but more $ than I want to go. Whitetail deer hunting in the WV mountains will be its main use. (2500' to 4000') Or just go a new Montana 6.5 CM. (if available)
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Unless you get a deal on a used 7 I think the Montana will be cheaper. You'll get a longer barrel. And in my opinion a better action with CRF and a better safety.

I have a Kimber in 308, mine is still a hair under 6 lbs with the same scope and mounts. I like it, but it is almost too light. I've found that somewhere between 7-7.5 lbs scoped is still pretty easy to carry around and easier to shoot than a sub 6 lb rifle.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
In my opinion, none of the choices you mention are bad ones. I've hiked WV mountains quite a bit, and a fairly light rifle is in order if you are doing some traveling, rather than standing.

The .260 is one of my favorites and would get the nod if bears are something you intend to possibly take. But I wouldn't pass on a bear with good bullets in a 243.

I like my Kimber Montana (.308) for hiking/climbing, but I need a decent rest to stretch it's barrel much. A model 7 is not a bunch different. I happen to have a Model 7 in 260 20". Nice little package with an 8 twist (Remington's early offerings lacked). My son killed one of his first 3 deer with that rifle.

I more often reach for my 700 with 8 twist barrel in a McMillan. A little over 7 pounds finished seems about right for me if I'm not doing a lot of hiking steep and far. I have a Tikka that is wonderfully accurate (8 twist also) that finishes at a little over 7 lbs.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Moses

I've owned both rifles you mention in 243.
The kimber will come in lighter due to it's trim action

Also the kimber will have a slightly heavier contoured barrel in addition to being longer so it won't have that whippy feel a lot of mdl 7 owners don't care for.

Plus the kimber will be cheaper til it's all set and done, only downside is the 10 twist in their 243 but I've had no problems getting any hunting bullet I want to use to shoot well in mine
Have you considered a Sako 85 Finnlight? I have both a 75 Finnlight and a NULA, both in 7/08. Love them both. The Finnlight comes in right around 7# all up and has real good balance for a woods rifle. The NULA, well its a NULA.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Pass on the Model 7, it's never the right answer.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
We have seven model 7's and two older 700 mountain rifles used in my hunting camp. Not much difference between handling a Model 7 or an older 700 Mountain. ---- Web
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Maybe not quite so light, but solid and cheap are the Ruger All Weather UL 7-08s that CDNN has for $499. 20" barrel and CRF. The stocks are a little heavy, but pretty stiff and have a cushy pad. At that price, the stock could be replaced by a lighter one.

I'd buy one myself, but need another rifle like I need another winky.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
My 'Old School' lightweight deer rifle is a first year Remington M600, 308. Weight with Weaver rings and bases, a Leupold M8 3X, Butler Creek Mountain sling and three rounds of 150 gr. ammo is just over 6 1/2 lbs. My 84M Montana, also a 308 with a Leupold 2.5 X 8, Talley low lightweights, Butler Creek Mountain sling and 3 rounds of 150 gr. ammo is also just over 6 1/2 lbs. Both are a pleasure to carry....
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
If I knew at 25 what I know at 57.....

I would spend the necessary money and have a custom rifle built to my spec's and be done with it. Had I done so I would not have gone through 20+ rifles in 280 Remington looking for the one.

When I finally had a custom 280 AI built, my first thought was, I should have done this from the beginning.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Got that right.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I would spend the necessary money and have a custom rifle built to my spec's and be done with it. Had I done so I would not have gone through 20+ rifles in 280 Remington looking for the one.

When I finally had a custom 280 AI built, my first thought was, I should have done this from the beginning.

BTDT and 100% agree.
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16

Agreed.

Whatever you do, don't go to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy a Tikka Superlite. That would achieve your goal at moderate expense and totally eliminate the need for you to fuggg with it other than to scope and zero it.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
The Rem. design lacks strength. We used them for hunting and target shooting and they got by.

There always have been stronger designs that have the machinery look of having extra, pride in metal.

[Linked Image]
Here is a Rem bolt handle that fell off. Some have a screw put thru them into the bolt's body.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tomk Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Add a full pound for your mauser answer....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Well....Don has weighed in....so theres one definite vote for anything in a 700......
So true...and don't be in a hurry...:)
Posted By: 16bore Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Faux Ti 260 LW's 6x42 will go 6lb 12oz done. I believe that's the same weight as a LA Montana, scoped.
Posted By: SKane Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The Rem. design lacks strength. We used them for hunting and target shooting and they got by.

There always have been stronger designs that have the machinery look of having extra, pride in metal.

[Linked Image]

Gawd damn, I wish there was a way to send a power surge to an IP address.

Moses, the fastest way to what you want is the Montana and is never a bad choice.
Chambering choice is a personal thing but the 260 or the Creed would both be excellent choices - same for .308.

With so many 6mm bullets to choose from today, I can't figure out why Kimber is still twisting 1-in-10 for the .243.

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Yep, Kimber Montana is quick and easy.

I have several M7's in Edge fill stocks with custom barrels and I love them but I'd go Montana now without thinking twice.

Can't you just feel the fatuousness emanating from this post?
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Doing a seven in 308 for my son now. with an Edge Mountaineer stock and a 6x36 in Talleys it should go under 6.25lbs scoped. I've got a feeling that I will be using it as much as my son does
Went to the Kimber page and see they are making a 6.5 Creed. That would be worth the wait I imagine, as you would be right at 6# with the Talleys & 2.5-8x36.

Would go that route first before another Remington build, unless I had a short TI action on hand.

Would also venture that the Montana in said Creed, would hold value-- though that consideration has yet to figure into any rifle here...:)
Originally Posted by tomk
Went to the Kimber page and see they are making a 6.5 Creed. That would be worth the wait I imagine, as you would be right at 6# with the Talleys & 2.5-8x36.

Would go that route first before another Remington build, unless I had a short TI action on hand.

Would also venture that the Montana in said Creed, would hold value-- though that consideration has yet to figure into any rifle here...:)

I'd say you are very close. My 308 with a 2-7 VX2.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Whenever stupidity is called for, Dumb Don delivers wink
When changing out the factory trigger for a Timney in a TI, "adjusting" the bolt stop did make me wonder...:)
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Savage Model 16 light weight Hunter.

While I have had customs made up the 99F Savage 358 I got in 1966 was ideal from the first day! I was perfect from the start and I got my game with it.

That 99 was ready to go from the start. Far Far less concern than any custom.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Savage Model 16 light weight Hunter.

I have my 7mm-08 out to Todd Bettin right now getting a carbon fiber stock and Trijicon + Talley's. Should be pretty sweet when I get her back.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16

Sound advice. I finally had the rifle I wanted put together at 46 and feel foolish for waiting so long.

David
Originally Posted by 16bore
Faux Ti 260 LW's 6x42 will go 6lb 12oz done. I believe that's the same weight as a LA Montana, scoped.

Prob close on this with a 6x. Here is mine in 7mm-08 with 3.5-10. Not a bad option.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Moses Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Why did Kimber have to go and put a threaded barrel on the Montana?
Posted By: SKane Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by Moses
Why did Kimber have to go and put a threaded barrel on the Montana?

I was looking at the 84L on their site just yesterday and noticed the threaded end.
If I was buying there'd be a cut/crown built into the fun budget. grin
SA Remington 700 with 22" mountain rifle contour barrel (all factory). I did replace the firing pin assembly and it has a BAT trigger guard. Leupold 2.5-8x, McMillan Hunter's Edge and 4 rounds of 243 ammo.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Moses Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Nice. Blind magazine or hinged floor plate? Im guessing since you mentioned a trigger guard it is blind.
Blind
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
A Montana in 6.5 Creed would be pretty sweet if the stock ergs work for you. But, the Creed is sort of like hummus, in that it goes well with everything.
Posted By: mart Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
The original mountain rifle. grin

[Linked Image]

The original mountain rifle with a scope. wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Speaking of ergs........
Posted By: EdM Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16

Uh, no.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by tomk

I'd say you are very close. My 308 with a 2-7 VX2.
[Linked Image]

Barrel length?
Posted By: Sevens Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16
[Linked Image]

Hinged floorplate and long action too.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/03/16

Maybe with a SWFA on top with steel rings. Haha.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/04/16
You mention NULA,I like how the Forbes rifle fit's me compared to the Kimber, Faux TI and the model Seven. Though I haven't tried one in a Manners stock. sold the Kimber and will be letting a Mountain Guide 243(Faux, TI) go soon and keeping the Forbes. Hopefully Barrett brings the Forbes out in all SS and doesn't screw it up!

[Linked Image]

6lb 2oz with a VX-R 2-7,308
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/04/16
Originally Posted by EdM

Barrel length?

22"
Posted By: 16bore Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/04/16
Originally Posted by EdM

Uh, no.

[Linked Image]

Uh, yeah.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
I've got a couple Montanas, a SA faux ti, and an older SS Model 7 7mm-08. All within 6 ounces of one another (6-6 1/2 lbs).

Never cared much for the model 7 in the factory configuration (whippy feeling), but dropped it into a Brown FS stock a couple years ago and have to say it's my favorite woods rifle. Talleys, Leupold 2-7x32 with alumina caps and I believe it's at 6 lbs 3 ounces.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16

I have done the same thing. Hoping to have 2 perfect, to me, rifles before turning 50. 9 months away frown
Posted By: Moses Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
I am heading in that direction. Don't want to carry any anvils.
Posted By: tomk Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
some variations of the above "original mountain rifle" went under 6# sans scope...
Can anyone tell me the weight of their SW T3 Super Lite?
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
6#, 11.3 oz. with a 2.5x8 Leupold (with BC scope caps) and Talley X-lows. That weight includes the mag. Add weight for rounds and a sling.

People who think they need a lighter rifle actually need a copy of Rippetoe's Starting Strength and a barbell.
Thanks. My '88 700 MR .270 weighs 7 lb. 13.2 oz. w Talleys M8 6x42 nylon sling & 4 rounds Hornady Lite.

Literally weighing whether to put her in Mickey dancing slippers v. 84 .270 or 6.5 Creed v. Super Lite.

This for elk hunt at 8,000-ish altitudes this October.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
You'd probably be at 7 pounds all up. If I had a long action Edge I'd let you borrow it.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
So whats light?

All done, 7# is in my book, 8# pretty much standard, 9# means its a Winchester...

Posted By: Moses Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/05/16
Less than 7 scoped.
You'd probably be at 7 pounds all up. If I had a long action Edge I'd let you borrow it.

I appreciate that, man. Seriously considering a new edition of the Montana, put the suppressor on it if it looks like I'll be stationary for awhile...

I need a light SS synthetic for everything in my approaching dotage...fixin to trim the herd down.

Hoping the new Barrett Light rifle is a Kimber alternative.
Posted By: Moses Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
LGS has a new in the box Sako Finnlight .308. I weighed it at 5lbs 12 oz.. I can order one in a .260 (1 in 8"). How close should I expect the weight?
Posted By: noKnees Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
Originally Posted by Moses
LGS has a new in the box Sako Finnlight .308. I weighed it at 5lbs 12 oz.. I can order one in a .260 (1 in 8"). How close should I expect the weight?

According to the Pacnor barrel weight calculator the difference between .308 and .264 in a 22" tube is 1.94oz
Love the NULA, and Tikka Super Light both shoot bug holes, and both are a joy to carry. NULA is a 300 WM scoped vx3 4.5x14x 40 and the Tikka is in Talleys (16bore) fx2 6x42. They feel reel close to each other in wieght, but that will change when I get a set of 30mm Talleys and throw the SWFA 6x42.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
I went through this same exercise a few months ago and I ended up buying a Tikka Hunter in 260 SS with a fluted barrrel. Weighed in at 6 lbs 1 ounce bare and 6 lbs 14 ounces with scope and Talleys.
Posted By: Moses Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
How did it do at the range?
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
Originally Posted by Ken_L
I went through this same exercise a few months ago and I ended up buying a Tikka Hunter in 260 SS with a fluted barrrel. Weighed in at 6 lbs 1 ounce bare and 6 lbs 14 ounces with scope and Talleys.

Where did you find that? The SS FLUTED hunters I've seen are listed at 7lb.
I got it from Whitakers. Eric and I both weighed it.

Have not made it to the range just yet. Too many other projects going on right now. I did reload for it so I am ready!
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
Strange. I emailed Whitakers and asked them. They confirmed about 1 pound heavier than the superlite.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
Originally Posted by 1Nut

Can't you just feel the fatuousness emanating from this post?

Is the spirit of Swampman lurking about?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
Originally Posted by bonefish

I have done the same thing. Hoping to have 2 perfect, to me, rifles before turning 50. 9 months away frown

That is what I did. Borden 280 AI & Borden 300 WSM. It was very much worth the wait!

It'll be over before you know it.
I am sure that is true on average but Eric found me the lightest one he could find. It was really cool of him to weigh some for me.
Posted By: toad Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/06/16
M7 inna Edge with 1.5-5x M1

[Linked Image]
What about a winchester model 70 compact
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/09/16
Sorry a little slow getting the picture up but here it is...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/12/16
I guess pictures do say a thousand words!
Posted By: 16bore Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/12/16
Balsa wood stock and the scope is filled with helium instead of nitrogen?
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/12/16
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Can anyone tell me the weight of their SW T3 Super Lite?

SL 7MM-08, VX3 3.5x10x40, DNZ mounts, 108 ozs = 6 lbs 12 ozs. Think naked it was just under 6 lbs. And it shoots:)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/13/16
Yeah, I don't know why it's so light but it's solid. Hopefully I will get it out here in the next couple of week and get it shot in.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/13/16
Don't discount a 6 Lug Weatherby. Mk V 7mm-08 stainless carbine, 20" barrel, Diavari Victory 2.5-10x42, S&K mounts, McMillan Sako Classic standard fill. For me; 7lbs is just right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bonefish Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/13/16
I will post on the classified section an approx 5 lb,right hand, NULA in 260 Rem within the next few days. 120 rounds down tube, 13.5" lop, 1-8" twist stainless #1 barrel, dark green with brown and black flecks on stock. 2014 built for me. I am moving to a heavier 6.5x47L. Going the opposite direction from many folks as I do not shoot an ultralight rifle as well as a heavier one. Have several dies and Lapua brass as well for the 260. Anyone that is seriously interested in this rifle, please PM me. I have toyed with selling this for a year. This gun went hunting for about 4 hours. All other shots were break-in and load development.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Lightweight Deer Rifle - 03/13/16
M7 , 7mmSaum in a fitted SPS 700 throw away (pillared and bedded 27 oz.) with Leupold 3.5x10x40 , 7.25 lbs.for under a grand if you shop right.
© 24hourcampfire