Home
Posted By: Fotis The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/04/16
I do not want to brake the rifle so what should I buy ? Thank you!!!!!!
I like limbsaver brand.
Posted By: pahick Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/04/16
Another rifle you can handle.
Posted By: KenMi Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/04/16
Originally Posted by pahick

Not sure that he was looking for worthless snide remarks. Some factory recoil pads are crap, and I'm sure he wants to put a good pad on it, which makes a huge difference.

Limbsaver pads are good at controlling recoil if you don't mind the look of them. And, they previously had the problem of "melting" over time. They would get stuck to the inside of gun cases, or even the carpet on a safe floor. Not sure if they have resolved that issue, but hopefully.

Pachmayr Decelerators are a good bet for good looks and a good performing pad.

Also, Kick-eeze are very good.

All three companies make "pre-fit" pads. They have templates on their sites. Best bet is to just print out the templates and see what fits your actual stock the best. If it is slightly large, the Kick-EEze are simple to hand sand to a perfect fit. Limbsavers are harder to work with.
Kick-eez pads are what i see on most sporting clays shotguns and i figure since those guys shoot a flat of shells or so a week and like the pads they must be pretty good
Fotis,

Since I don't like recoil and hate to develop a flinch, I have put a premium recoil pad on every single one of my big game rifles at a significant cost ($50 plus per rifle).

In my humble opinion and based on personal experience the softer recoil pads are much better than the harder recoil pads.

Soft = kick eze and limbsaver
hard= decelerator

Best of luck with your decision. I wish there was someone who had blind tested perceived recoil across a number of people and could post a study that I could believe in.

onerifle
Posted By: Fotis Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/04/16
Basically it is a 378 Bee in the Japanese version (read lightweight). About 8.5 lbs.

I do not want to alter it permanently with a brake this is why I asked.
Thank you.

[Linked Image]
Pachmayr decelerator...
Posted By: KenMi Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/04/16
Yeah, those old vented pads were pretty much worthless. Similar to the old Browning shotgun pads. The rubber gets harder over time, and they don't do much at all.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pachmayr decelerator...

Me too. I find the Limbsaver to be too sticky.
Another vote for the Decelerator. Add a soft kneepad under your shooting jacket. Also consider Melvin's (NULA) 10 pound bench shooting pad ("sandbag").
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/04/16
Limbsaver works GREAT but they go to [bleep] cosmetically. I have Decelerators on my upland bird gun and on several rifles. They are much cleaner looking; I'd give the edge to the Limbsaver for performance, though.
Posted By: TheKid Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
It ain't really going to matter, that thing is going to kick like a pack mule regardless of what's strapped to it unless it's 10 pounds of lead shot.

That said I find the Decelerator to outperform the softer pads from Limbsaver and Kickeze on the heavy kickers because they don't fully collapse and 'bottom out' so to speak. And they look nice and aren't prone to melting in the safe or getting tears if set down on a rock or something.
A little more detail about limbsaver. I also had a couple of pads get soft and kind of melt over time. I purchased a Ruger boat paddle rifle and there were two model numbers listed. Since I wanted to get the correct pad, I called the limbsaver company. Customer service was very helpful. While speaking with a very helpful lady I mentioned my melting pad. She said that they had a problem with the curing process, asked the model (870 Remington ), and added a free replacement to my order. I can't ask for more than that. She also told me that limbsaver was located next to a police firing range and the police did their product testing.

I am not sure about how the pad looks but they fit perfectly and soften the recoil. I am more concerned about performance than looks. I can shoot my 870 all day long without having a bruse the next day. I like that.

I admit I have only used the limbsaver brand but see no reason to change with the performance and customer service I have received.

Good luck on your choice.
Another vote for the Pachmeyer Decelerator.
Posted By: basdjs Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
I put Limbsavers on most of my rifles and shotguns.
another vote for the decelerator
Posted By: Fotis Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
thank you fellas This helped!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
decelerator gets my vote
Posted By: barm Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
Pachmayr Decelerator
Posted By: maddog Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
Another Pachmyer Decelerator vote.
Posted By: gene270 Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
more people have probably had decelerator pads on here due to the fact that mcmillan uses them but look at the kick eez pads also they are a nice pad...
Posted By: KenMi Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
McMillan offers either the Limbsaver or Decelerator now. Just received a stock this week that I ordered Jan. 3rd. Order estimate was end of April
Originally Posted by Fotis
Basically it is a 378 Bee in the Japanese version (read lightweight). About 8.5 lbs.

I do not want to alter it permanently with a brake this is why I asked.
Thank you.

[Linked Image]

Witt Machine makes a clamp on brake that will help a great deal. A recoil pad is not going to slow the excessive muzzle rise of the gun in question. The german made MarkV in .378 is by far the worst recoiling gun I ever shot! Just a good recoil pad ain't gonna be enough in My humble opinion.

http://wittmachine.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

Why they sold these without brakes is silly because all .460s came with brakes and the .378s seem to kick more due to lighter weight / higher recoil velocity.
Posted By: EdM Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
Originally Posted by pahick

Another of your common brainless responses.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
Fotis;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well on this slightly soggy first Saturday in March.

I'll answer from the perspective of a hobby gun tinkerer who installs a fair few recoil pads on either friend's, family's or customer's rifles or shotguns.

IF you need to grind it at all - even a wee bit - then in my experience do yourself a favor and get the Decelerator.

I'm sure there's some magic/secret way to grind the stickier one's somehow, but I can tell you that sticking the stock in the freezer and lubricating it with WD40 only led to me speaking in foreign tongues when I attempted to do an adequate job with one.

Sorry I can't recall if it was a Kick Ease or which of the gummy ones I was working with and honestly perhaps the new ones are better.

I can tell you however that if someone calls me today and asks for a recoil pad installed, the only one's I'll do anymore are Pachmayr. As I say it's a hobby and mode of relaxation for me - and grinding a sticky recoil pad isn't exactly relaxing.... wink

Hopefully that helped and was useful for you or someone out in ether space this morning sir. All the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne
Posted By: Ringman Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/05/16
Fotis,

I read the first page and didn't see anyone recommend Hastings Micro-cell. Mine are 1.26" thick. I have three on three rifles. One is a .375-.416 Rem Mag. It produces loads of recoil.
Pachmayr makes a pad called XLT "Ultra Soft" Magnum. Don't know if it would fit your application or not, but worth a look. A good pad will reduce the sharpness of heavy recoil and spread it out over time, not reduce recoil like a break will.

"The revolutionary new Ultra Soft pad that Shooters and Gunsmiths will love! Finally, after years of research and testing, Pachmayr engineers have developed a trap pad that's almost 50% softer than the legendary Pachmayr Decelerator. Even better, the new super soft formula has the smooth grinding and installation characteristics of our popular Decelerator pads."

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/XLT-magnum-traps.php

[Linked Image]

The Limbsaver I had installed on my grandson's Rem 600 308 melted mad and made a mess of a very nice gun case. We are replacing it with a Pachmayr Decelerator.

Go with a Pachmayr. You will still be happy you did in 5 or 10 years! laugh laugh
Posted By: CKW Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/06/16
I bought a Limbsaver slip on pad and a Pachmayr slip on about the same time a several years ago. The Limbsaver was soft and worked well but was much heavier - until it started to melt! Still use the Pachmayr.

As Ringman suggested the Cervelatti MicroCell is an excellent pad. I bought one over a year ago from Brownells and recently went to buy another one and found they didn't carry them anymore. Ringman's post pointed me to Hastings Distributors and I ordered two more yesterday. Thanks, Ringman!

I have several rifles with Decelerators on and they work fine. They look good and seem to last years without melting or getting hard.

I had just screwed a new red Decelerator pad on a stock I'm refinishing when I learned that MicroCells were available from Hastings. The new pad is not yet ground to fit so it will come off the stock and be replaced by a MicroCell.

The MicroCell pad is softer than Pachmayr Decelerators, weight half as much and are much easier for me to install. I have one on an 8 lb. 7mm Mag and it really works to lessen the recoil.
Kick-EEZ.
I have a Ruger 77/44 with that worthless hunk of hard rubber that Ruger calls a recoil pad. The little rifle kicked like the proverbial mule, installed a Pachmyer Decelerator and it made all the difference in the world. The rifle is now a pleasure to shoot, why Ruger doesn't install them on their rifles is beyond me.
I've had good luck with Limbsaver.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: The BEST recoil pad??????? - 03/07/16
I had a Limbsaver fitted to a 375H&H AFTER they were supposed to have fixed the melting problem. A friend did the same at the same time. Both are melting!

Thanks for this thread, I know what to replace it with.

Cheers, Chris
Anyone use or have experience with the NECG pads?
© 24hourcampfire