Home
Given a choice...which would you choose? I've never had a Savage that didn't shoot, and although have had a few finicky Rugers, most have performed admirably as well.

The Savage accutrigger I like, but like the feel of the Ruger stock better. I definitely like the Ruger safety better. Price point is roughly the same.

Insights?
Ruger hands down.
Savage Weather Warrior every time!

Ruger for me
Do you prefer a removable mag or hinged floorplate?

Already mention you like the Ruger safety and stock better.

Are you against putting an after-market trigger in the Ruger?
Both...? Maybe Savage...got a little stock from their parent company in my IRA...you could help guy retire a little earlier...seriously, just get the one you like better both are very good quality rifles.
Ruger; more accurate than their reputation says and the Hawkeye trigger is an open design that can be easily smithed to perfection. No contest.
Savage for Me
I would take a long hard look at Spanish Bergara B-14. The action plus high quality barrels of uniform hardness and dimensional consistency are made in Spain. The rifles are assembled in Georgia, USA.
I have both it depends what you want the rifle to do. The Ruger is overbuilt control round feed it would take some doing to break something. Accuracy is OK after fiddling with the stock and retorqing everything it sucked out of the box ~ 2 moa its about 1 moa now this is a pre hawkeye mk 11 the hawkeye having a different stock. Better? dunno mine feels and is cheap.

My 16fcss is a tack driver and was so right out of the box. I took the stock off and couldn't really see any improvements to do so slapped it back on I like the bedding block system. I like the detach all metal mag and the things never jammed or anything on me. Its slightly lighter than the Ruger. If you can get past the part that it says Savage on it and the ugly barrel nut its a decent rifle.

Pack hunt into the hills on a several day hunt I'll take the Ruger. Watching the back end of a clearing near home for a big buck to show prolly go with the Salvage.
With ALL due respect to Savage rifles, I would go with the Ruger. I just prefer the hinged floor plate and three position safety. Savage rifles do shoot darn good though.
Savage for me. I like Ruger but if I was going to buy a rifle that I wanted to slap a scope on, buy a box of factory ammo, head to the range, and expect the gun to show some decent groups, it would be a Savage. I would say that I have owned 30 or more different savages and have never owned one that wouldn't shoot. I have also owned several Coopers, Kimbers, Custom 700's, factory 700's, factory Rugers, sakos, 1 Nosler TGR 308,
And many others that I have forgotten. But when I get a rifle out of my safe to go hunting, most of of the time it is going to be a Savage. They are reliable, accurate, and if you scratch it, you don't feel bad. Lol. Ruger also makes a fine rifle, just giving my opinion and reasons I would choose a savage.
I have both. The Hawkeye is a .308 and is accurate enough to kill a deer at any reasonable range. The Savage is a 12FV in .22-250 and using it I regularly make hits on ground squirrels at 400 yards. I wouldn't buy a Ruger to shoot one-hole groups, and I wouldn't buy a Savage to go big game hunting. But that's just me.
Ruger
Savage
Ruger. Every time.
I have read a lot of posts about the Ruger trigger. I just got a 2013 mfg Hawkeye and the trigger is excellent--under 3 lb. pull, very little travel/creep.
Ruger..
Savege...

I've had both.

Better out of the box accuracy.
The FCSS has the better stock also in the accustock
My hawkeye had like an 8# trigger
Hawkeye went down the road...
Kind of curious as to why you (OP)are comparing a synthetic 16 to a walnut Ruger? What about a model 14 Savage. Prettiest rifle Savage makes and Gander sells them in stainless.
What gives you the idea I'm comparing synthetic to walnut? Both rifles are made in synthetic stocks.

True to any thread, there's always someone who tosses in what they like best that wasn't even part of the original question. Amazing.
Have had both, I prefer the Savage.
Do not see a synthetic Hawkeye listed in their catalog and have always equated the word Hawkeye with wood so thought you might be apples to oranges on it and offered up something along those lines in a friendly way. Neither Ruger or Savage are my favorite- I tried to stay in your wheel house ....fugg it, buy wtf you want. Go to the store. pick up both and decide for yourself. Amazing.

A custom Mauser with cut rifled barrel whoops the Ruger cleanly and a Remington given similar treatment whoops the Savage.

Now you've seen amazing.
© 24hourcampfire