Home
Posted By: RinB 30-06 Serengeti Reamer by PT&G - 05/04/16
Anyone have experience with this?
I want to use a variety of cases and factory ammo. Do not want to turn necks.
Looking for accuracy as well.
Thanks
Rick what is it that distinguishes the Serengeti reamer? confused
Throat dimensions, It uses a straight free bore instead of the funnel throat of the standard 30-06.
Huh.....interesting.Thanks.

Meant for long heavy bullets?
If memory serves correctly the freebore is .3085 in diameter and .085 in length with 1.5 degree leade into the lands.
The freebore isn't super long. It's tighter diameter wise than typical factory stuff, .3085". German Salazar used it as a match reamer.
[Linked Image]
Still a very good chamber for accuracy work. The Serengeti Reamer is also very good for hunting rifles.
Cool!

Tight free bore usually shoots good.
Thanks for the print Mathman. My memory only missed the freebore length by .001. smile
I also use a reamer that is .3084 in diameter and .100 long with 1.5 degree. I use it for 200 grain and up bullets.
That's the deal. Everybody worries about "kissing lands" in their hunting rifles, but I see very few mention freebore diameter.
These specific dimensions were developed by German Salazar, a Phoenix lawyer, who has used it in big bore, over the course, 600, and 1000 competitions. Many other competitors use it as well.

My concern: I can't have a hunting rifle that requires turned necks!

Ideas, comments?
PTG references " this chamber has many National Service Rifle Championships"
That chamber doesn't require turned necks.
Originally Posted by mathman
That's the deal. Everybody worries about "kissing lands" in their hunting rifles, but I see very few mention freebore diameter.

mathman: It's only cause I've had a few "long throat" rifles cut with custom reamers, that shot really well....they were chambered 300 Win Mag and 7 Rem mag.

This reamer Rick is asking about is interesting...I have never owned a custom 30/06.
I just had a custom 30-06 built & my gunsmith used the Serengeti reamer....says its his go to reamer for 30-06 builds.

I shot some premium factory hunting ammo out of it & it shot great!!
I have one. It has chambered three 30-06s so far. They shoot well. I could tell you some group sizes but that doesn't really mean [bleep], and it's the internet anyway. I could tell you that rifle/chamber has produced 2 1-shot kills on bull elk in the last 2 years, but that also doesn't really mean [bleep].

But it's a good reamer. The highest praise I can give is that I would get another one if I didn't have one and needed to chamber a 30-06.

I turn Lapua necks for mine, but mine has a 0.337 neck. I can use Nosler, Win, Norma, Rem, etc. brass without turning (at least the batches I have had; I mostly use Lapua). If you don't want to neck turn just get the 0.340 neck. 0.340 is the standard neck for the 30-06, and PTG will make you a 0.340 neck for the Serengeti reamer.

joe
The current print has a neck of .3395" diameter.
It is slightly different than the print shown above.
You can specify the neck diameter. They'll make you a neck diameter of whatever you want--0.336, 0.337, 0.338, etc. The standard Serengeti print above has a 0.340 neck. I think 0.3395 is pretty close.
Rick,

Joelkdouglas posted on 24 hr in 2012 mentioning this reamer:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6633736/Re_PTG_Bolt

I have found the 1.5 degree throat angle works well with most bullets and it seems to work better with Berger vlds.

Ross

Originally Posted by mathman

EXACTLY. I never want a bullet to touch the leade. Diameter and concentricity of the throat to the bore is everything.
In general, I prefer throats which are parallel and within a half-thou of bullet diameter and I have always cut my match rifles this way. However, I have found the "funnel" throats to be more versatile and tolerant of variations in ammunition. I have had some very good ought-sixes with the "match" throat but the most accurate 30/06 hunting rifle, by far, had a long, tapered throat. After nearly forty years of cutting chambers and shooting the rifles, I am less willing, not more, to declare one design or the other as being the absolute best. GD
There have been several updates and revisions of the original Serengeti print #9685.

I had planned on the the original, wanted to try one of the updated versions and then I called Dave Kiff... and a few days later he sent me the Serengeti Bore Rider. This is one that he and German have been working on for a while and in Dave's own words he think's he "have finally perfected it!"

I told him this was a full custom build and that I plan to use Lapua brass, I do not plan on neck turning, I will shoot anything and everything from a 155 Scenar to a 208 Amax and 180-200 grain hunting bullets in between.

He went into detailed math and calculations... I glazed over. I am a little embarrassed about that but he has reassured me THIS IS THE PRINT I WANT!
[Linked Image]
I have a hunting rifle so chambered and have been very happy. I don't know my ND but I use standard Lapua brass.
Originally Posted by haverluk
There have been several updates and revisions of the original Serengeti print #9685.

I had planned on the the original, wanted to try one of the updated versions and then I called Dave Kiff... and a few days later he sent me the Serengeti Bore Rider. This is one that he and German have been working on for a while and in Dave's own words he think's he "have finally perfected it!"

I told him this was a full custom build and that I plan to use Lapua brass, I do not plan on neck turning, I will shoot anything and everything from a 155 Scenar to a 208 Amax and 180-200 grain hunting bullets in between.

He went into detailed math and calculations... I glazed over. I am a little embarrassed about that but he has reassured me THIS IS THE PRINT I WANT!
[Linked Image]

Haverluk that looks good. I would be interested in an update once you have it put together!

I told Kiff to make mine shoot 180 Partitions, and he set the throat length for that. But I must have forgotten to tell the barrel, because it doesn't like 180 PTs nearly as much as 155s and 165s. But those it shoots lights out, so I can't be too upset. Turns out 165s kill elk just as well as 180s do!
Does this have to be an initial chamber cut, or can a standard '06 be cleaned to it, like an AI?
Initial chamber.
Well crud. Thanks. Was considering having something done to an '06 while it was in for upgrade....such as AI, but this sounds like a better option, as I'm a fan of long, tight, precise throats.
The problem is reaming a hole smaller.
Surely. I hadn't followed/read enough of the thread...just hoping against a barrel, added to my costs. I'll hold out some hope for set back and re-cut.
If the contour allows for enough set back to totally eliminate the neck and throat length you might be OK.
Hi!

I am new to custom barrels and reloading and still researching but have a question on this Serengeti Reamer - does it require a special Die for resizing the .30-06 Brass? Thanks for all the good info.
I'm looking at buying a 30-06 that has a serengti chamber- I shoot 168TSX bullets and it seems the serengeti is for the heavier bullets - would that be an issue?
Originally Posted by 10generation
I'm looking at buying a 30-06 that has a serengti chamber- I shoot 168TSX bullets and it seems the serengeti is for the heavier bullets - would that be an issue?

I don't believe it will be an issue. Mine shoots factory Barnes 150 TTSX very well. Shot 165/168 and 180 handloads well too. Next I'll try to work up 200 grain Partitions or Accubonds.
Doouble post.
This one has the Serengeti chamber and I turn all case necks to .012” thickness! It loves Berger 185 VLDs!

https://flic.kr/p/LTunYq
© 24hourcampfire