Home
Hi friends.
One of my best friends is a recently-retired pastor, and has a hankering to do some deer hunting now that he has time on his hands for this fall.

He is gun-savvy, having grown up in a ranching community, but just has rim fire weapons presently.

Like most retired pastors, money is tight, and he would like a suggestion on a dependable "value gun" in 06'.

Who do you think is marketing the best entry-level 06' nowadays?
(I've had my 06' for twenty years, and have not followed the latest-and-greatest trends)

Thanks for your advice, will pass it along to my buddy when your suggestion(s) come in.
ruger american new.

pawn shops should be flooded with wood stocked bargains, if you are so inclined.

RAR
I'd go the pawn shop route and buy a quality used rifle. It should be simple to find one in 30-06.

If a budget synthetic is in the cards, I'd try to find one of the recently discontinued Marlin XL7s. I have a couple of XS7s and both are extremely accurate, as accurate as my custom rifles. They also "feel" like a higher quality rifle than any of the RARs I've handled.

You may get recommendations for the Savage Axis, but to me it is the ugliest of the budget rifles out there. I've handled them and the only rifles, to me, that feel cheaper are the Rem 710/770s. They are probably accurate though.
+1 on the Marlin.
I have the savage 116 stainless in 30 06. It shoots under an inch with 180gr hand loads,and they aren't that expensive. Certainly with a look.
New and current production I would follow along ans say the Ruger American. I was looking for something like this 6 years ago and found a S&W I-Bolt. Made for 2 years by S&W directly, it has a Thomson Center made barrel, Timney trigger, full round bolt like an American, and a factory picatinay rail. Can be had for $250 new on GunBroker right now. Mine is sub-MOA accurate with handloads and has taken more deer than all my other rifles combined.
Another vote for the Marlin X7:

[Linked Image]

Tossing out the called flyer (#11), the others were at .388". I've no doubt a competent shooter could make the rifle look even better. It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade the glass from a fixed 4x scope, either. FWIW, I had these at 3.225 COAL, and they were doing 2,860 fps.

The other 2 Marlins I've had shot similarly.

FC
+2 on the Marlin. I worked up loads in 2 different Marlin XL7 rifles for 2 very passive newbie hunters and those rifle are accurate! Of course being chambered in a .270 helped. laugh
Howa 1500, from Whitakers... $329.00

Short Action Smoker will take good care of Campfire Members and their friends...

While I like the Marlin X7, since I have one... I'd still recommend the Howa... accurate, accessories available and they also are NOT out of Production.
I bought an RAR last summer and I've been very happy with it so far. It's very accurate. The main reason I bought it was the weight. It's about a lb. lighter than most lower priced rifles on the market and at my age, every lb. counts. You'll spend well over $100 more for any other model this light.
I've got 2 Marlin XS7s and a Tikka T3 Lite, all with Talleys and Monarch UCC 3-9x40s up top.

Marlin 7-08 - 7lbs 9oz
Marlin 22-250 - 7lbs 10oz
Tikka 25-06 - 7lbs 8oz

I don't own a RAR to compare with, but if it's a pound lighter, that's a seriously lightweight rifle.
All fine choices, but unless he just wants an 06', a 308 would do as well and a 7mm08 kick less.

An 8 pound 06 with a marginal pad, does kick.

06s ? Marlin XL7, 1093A4 clone, 1903 1915 as issued, Ruger MKII Boat Paddle, M-1 NM. M-1 is very pleasant.

30-06 with managed recoil loads will kill any Whitetail that walks, an alternative ?
CZ
It ain't pretty, but it'll get the job done.

Win 670 .30-06 for sale!

Sorry for the shameless plug of my rifle.

The $329 Howa is the best quality rifle in that price range, but may not shoot as well as a RAR. I'd give up a little accuaracy for the nice action, but that's just me.
Interarms Mark X
Go hit up the pawn shops. Who knows what kind of bargain you might find.
+1 on the Howa / Vanguard. And I'd go 308 for deer and just about anything else.

If it must be 30-06 and a long action, the Zastava / Interarms is great value and bombproof. But the Howa would serve you just as well.

The RAR is good but there's lots of plastic on them. I can't see many of them being passed onto grandkids.
RAR, it is an exceptional value if you don't mind the aesthetics.
If he isn't absolutely set on having a 30-06, CDNN has Marlin XS7s in either 243 or 7mm-08 for $250. I like the ergs of the Marlin stock better than the Howa 1500s, but a Boyds laminated stock for either would likely cost under $200.

24HCF member Savorino has a NIB stainless Marlin XL7 in 30-06 on GB for $465. This is probably the least expensive stainless bolt gun, that isn't a Savage Axis, that I've seen since Whittaker's sold out of the Marlin XS7s in 7mm-08 a few months ago.
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Agree that good buys exist there, but feel my friend should buy "new" to get the warranty... He can't afford getting a used rifle at a good price and then having to re-barrel or have to rework the feeding system.
Your frugal fixed-income friend could buy a $250 Marlin XS7 from CDNN and Hornady American Whitetail ammo for about $22 per box. That would get him a good shooting rifle and good shooting ammo, then all he would need is a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 and a set of 1" Weaver-style rings with which to mount it on the base that comes with the rifle.
I agree about the X7 Marlin. I think it was the king of the economy rifles, but apparently the market didn't agree with me. It seemed better thought out and put together than the Ruger American, and the stock was stiffer.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Another vote for the Marlin X7:

[Linked Image]

Tossing out the called flyer (#11), the others were at .388". I've no doubt a competent shooter could make the rifle look even better. It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade the glass from a fixed 4x scope, either. FWIW, I had these at 3.225 COAL, and they were doing 2,860 fps.

The other 2 Marlins I've had shot similarly.

FC

I hate "flyers". I get them with my pre 64 model 70 30-06 too. It's a featherweight rifle though, so that probably explains it...:

[Linked Image]
Marlin XL7 or a Savage. Either will very likely shoot very well and should prove to be very reliable. I currently have a Marlin in .30-06 that is shooting VERY well with no adjustments out of the box.
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I agree about the X7 Marlin. I think it was the king of the economy rifles, but apparently the market didn't agree with me. It seemed better thought out and put together than the Ruger American, and the stock was stiffer.

The market didn't kill the Marlin X guns, sometime after Remington bought Marlin in 2007, they made the decision to move Marlin's bolt action CF products to Remington and the X guns morphed into the not nearly as attractive Remington 783 line.
Get the 7mm08 Marlin from CDNN. As long as its deer sized game or smaller he wont be disappointed.
I would look for a new stainless close out priced Tikka
I have a friend with the Marlin rifle and it is, to me, a nice looking rifle. If I was looking for another rifle I'd certainly look at them. But the best even for the money you'll never get a right answer to until he goes out and look's them over for himself. I don't think he'll find a rifle that won't work well for him, most rifles are good rifle's. Unless he'll be shooting quite a bit, why spend more than he haws to on a rifle except, he need's to like it! That a personal thing.

Where he live's will make a difference too. I like my friends Marlin but have never seen one in any shop or store within about a hundred miles of here. if it were me I'd get him into a Bi Mart or Walmart and let him look over what they have. I wouldn't worry about 2nd hand rifles. I have a very old 30-06 that had to many corrosive primer's through it and the barrel is pitted pretty good but, you can't tell from the way it shoot's. My 25-06 and 308 were both bought 2nd hand, very good rifles, both of them. The 25-06 is a 700 ADL and the 308 a Rem 788. But he's gonna have to go look at what's there where he live's.
700 ADL 30-06 made before Dupont sold Remington.
Gloss blue and walnut, at reasonable prices.
Few hunting guns are ever shot much, most will last several lifetimes.
Take a look at a Remington 783. A way better gun than you would think for under $300.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The $329 Howa is the best quality rifle in that price range, but may not shoot as well as a RAR. I'd give up a little accuaracy for the nice action, but that's just me.

Mine in 223 shoots better than my Ruger Predator in 223....
in fact both of my Howas in 223 do...
Thanks to all for these great suggestions.
I will be seeing my friend this next Saturday, and he will get the recommendations, and I know he will successfully land something on this list.

I appreciate your thoughtful responses!

Take care.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Mine in 223 shoots better than my Ruger Predator in 223....
in fact both of my Howas in 223 do...

I'm not surprised. My Vanguard is very accurate with the Fiocchi 40gr Vmax loads I've been feeding it. Everyone is so impressed with the RARs, I thought I'd just be agreeable. For $329, it'd be a no-brainer for me, especially since I regard DMs on a hunting rifle, especially ones that can't be filled from the top, as inventions of the devil. At $249, the Marlins are also very attractive.

Way back when the RARs and Marlins were new, I did a side-by-side in a LGS. The RAR magazine rattled like, well a rattle. The Marlin was plain, but seemed solid.

Brian Pearce, a writer I trust to be honest and meticulous, did a review on a couple of the Marlins and also used one in another article. He seemed very impressed, and not just for the money. It's a shame Remington dumped them in favor of that abortion they introduced later. Looks like a case of Not Invented Here to me. It would have been easy to just stamp their logo on the better rifle.
When I was looking for a similar "do all cheap beater or truck gun" to fill this same role as a reliable rough use & loaner stand by shooter, having had couple of T3's & 2 695's, a SAKO 85 260 & 2 dozen or more SAKO's in years past, a CZ 550 9.3, , a half dzn S&W (Howa) 1500's, more tang safety Ruger 77's than I can remember, and 8-10 post '64 M70's - from picking out my choice of wood from the factory shipping case of 5 rifles, a 1979 USRAC XTR Fwt Rbts, out of the 1st production run of USRAC shipments to Texas, that my distributor employer rc'vd as promised...

I saw all the gun shills printed hype, and put a couple RAR's, Marlins and whatever else I could find in that RAR +$250/ $350 initial price range on every stocking retailers counter side by side & walked away from them as they all needed tuning of some sort IMHO...and bought a couple TC Ventures. DA me sold one at a profit unfired that I should have kept - a NIB WS AP camo 308 I was into at under $300, and am putting a NIB plain vanilla black & blue 270 together right now - with Warne Steel & a Vtx CFII 4x12x50 - I'm into for about $300 for the bare nekk'd gun.

Only thing I ever saw in the last 10 years I wanted to buy in that price point was a S&W Husqvarna 30'06 that needed some tlc on the stock, and hesitated a day too long when the dealer would not come off his $300 price. Snooze Ya Looze bites me too.

Why? Why did I take a flyer on an unknown product that had gone thru a Major Recall & had had the Mfg'er bought out...market research & one on one conversations with early adopters... AND ...I could not find a better deal at the time & would have bought one of the Howa 1500/Weatherby S1 closeouts if it were as cheap as the Venture was, with the at the time $75 Rebate on Venture's that was available thru last year.

Look at the TC Website for the laundry list of FAB's (Features/Advantages/Benefits) that as a former gun industry rep of 13 years, made the most sense for me...Lifetime Warranty, MOA guarantee, 5 R rifleing system, pillar bedding, receiver ejection port top access thru the open bolt adjustable trigger yadda yadda were the key factors, as well as the several early adopters statements about accuracy....and my perceptions of the cheap feeling and cheesy sounds during bolt cycling + the flimsy fit and feel of the RAR's stock with it's egg shaped fore end vs the Ventures better fit & finish, grooved soft touch grip panels and triangular shaped fore end with it's flatter more stable shooting rest. Now that I have finally completed the move to a new location some 200 miles from where'd we'd been for the last 10 years, a year after the original plan called for, I'm looking forward to putting my Venture 270 thru the wringer, and have bought roughly a K of 6/7 styles of bullets to do it with....and moved to within 15-20 minutes of a 365 day accessible 200 yard club range to do it AT.

Haven't seen the new TC "mo cheaper" offering yet, but I am expecting it to be a "Lite" version of the Venture's features, which can be seen on the TC website.
Ron
They seem solid, but like pretty much all TC stuff, have been beaten to a bloody pulp with the oogly stick. One exception was the Classic .22.

Of course my sense of style was formulated in the 50s and 60s so they may be beautiful to those whose tastes are more modern.

Originally Posted by 700LH

This^^^
Originally Posted by Bugger

This^^^

Don't know when Dupont sold Remington, but I'd look very hard for a 700 with a B or C prefix serial #....
Too bad the OP and his friend can't go to a few gunshops or pawn shops and pick out a good older rifle. I'd much rather have a sporterized 98 mauser, m1917, Ruger Tang safety, Ruger m77 mkII, used Hawkeye, Older Remington mountain rifle, Remigton 788, etc. etc. vs. a new RAR or the likes: (vanguard or Howa), el-cheapo Remington 783, 710, or even POS Savage Axis. However, YMMV....
I find it hard to equate the forged Howa action with a one-piece forged bolt with those others you mentioned, especially when some of your "good" ones have bolts that are brazed composites notorious for falling apart now and again.(this is a good chance for someone to post their pictures of Remington bolts with no handle eek )

Used rifles can be great buys, but only if tha buyer has the know-how to sort the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes there's a good reason why they're on the used rack and the last thing our boy needs is a problem or a project.
Blue/Synthetic Tikka T3. You can find them with Burris FFII 3-9s for an even better deal.
I'd look for a good deal on a used Win70 XTR.

Or a Ruger 77 tanger or MKII.

There are lots of good deals on used 30-06s.
I find it hard to equate the forged Howa action with a one-piece forged bolt with those others you mentioned, especially when some of your "good" ones have bolts that are brazed composites notorious for falling apart now and again.(this is a good chance for someone to post their pictures of Remington bolts with no handle eek )

Used rifles can be great buys, but only if tha buyer has the know-how to sort the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes there's a good reason why they're on the used rack and the last thing our boy needs is a problem or a project.

I'd take a good Remington 700 mountain rifle over a clunker Howa any day of the week and twice on sunday. However, there's economy based rifles that are just as good as either. Just shot my buddies savage 11/111 XP Trophy hunter 22-250 and it's a true sub moa "all day long" rifle. If I were counting my pennies and just had to have a new rifle as the OP suggests, that's the route I'd take. They shoot great, have an excellent trigger, handle well, etc. etc. Hell, they even come as a package with a scope...What more could a guy ask for? whistle

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd look for a good deal on a used Win70 XTR.

Or a Ruger 77 tanger or MKII.

There are lots of good deals on used 30-06s.

Excellent suggestion. However, I think the thought of buying used scares the hell out of the OP... wink
Howas are kinda heavy as are the Rugers and FNs I prefer, but the bolt handles stay on and they go bang when I want them to, not at odd moments of their choosing.

Remington makes a pretty good rifle. Just replace the bolt and trigger and you're good to go.😜
Agree with tc venture or the tikka comments. I guess I'm partial to them as I have clover leaf groups from both.
Anyone who ever owned a venture will tell you they are under rated tack driver. They weigh little more than the tikkas and don't feel as balanced to ME. Still awesome gun for the money. Found mine on sale for 299.
My buddy has a marlin in 243 and he swears by it.
I held ruger American when I was in the market for 223. Picked up tikka side by side an there was no comparison in feel and the quality. Another tikka went home with me.

Don't know what your friend's budget it, but below are two great options in 30-06. One is wood/blue, the other stainless/synthetic. They are a little above economy line rifle prices, but are rifles that will last for many generations.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ly_Interarms_30-06_High_Qua#Post11193907

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11198917/F/S:_Ruger_MKII_M77_Stainless/#Post11198917
Howas are kinda heavy as are the Rugers and FNs I prefer, but the bolt handles stay on and they go bang when I want them to, not at odd moments of their choosing.

Remington makes a pretty good rifle. Just replace the bolt and trigger and you're good to go.😜

You do make a good point buddy..
Originally Posted by Dre
Agree with tc venture or the tikka comments. I guess I'm partial to them as I have clover leaf groups from both.
Anyone who ever owned a venture will tell you they are under rated tack driver. They weigh little more than the tikkas and don't feel as balanced to ME. Still awesome gun for the money. Found mine on sale for 299.
My buddy has a marlin in 243 and he swears by it.
I held ruger American when I was in the market for 223. Picked up tikka side by side an there was no comparison in feel and the quality. Another tikka went home with me.

Dre, they are great rifles. My buddy all but switched to them, but they have gone up so much in price that my buddy actually went back to buying the cheaper savage package rifle (XP Trophy hunter). One thing I have noticed about guys that buy these cheap rifles is they never seem to be happy with them and always seem to be searching for something better but they don't want to fork out the money for a real rifle. I have a couple friends like that. They consider older used Ruger m77 mkII's out of their price range, but they have suffered with Remington 710's, Ruger American, Mossberg 4x4, Savage Axis and the like. From what I've personally seen with my buddies' cheap rifle buying, these are the ones I'd pick:

1. Savage XP trophy hunter
2. TC Venture
3. Stevens 200
4. Marlin X series rifle (you can find NIB rifles on GB).
Ruger American or Tika T-3...

Have both & both are excellent hunting rifles. smile

Lefty C
Free Harris bipod and sling included.
They also have it in 22" blue/Hogue at the same price.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html
Tell Pastor it's time to live a little. Make it happen for him around $400, some less.

Rugers: tanger, MKII, and Hawkeye, even an old RLS

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/560120862
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/558719287
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559421946
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559918113
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559497855
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559171235
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559147282

And some Winchesters all New Havens with good triggers: pre64, XTR, Featherweight, Shadows, and Rangers

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559200214
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559557188
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559793863
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559308069
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559085385
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559148891
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559405048
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559966892
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559629552
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559203933

DD, you know that's how I would roll. To be exact, my last rifle (sporterized m1917) I bought (a few weeks ago) cost me $300.00. It's as old as you and I put together + some. However, it is extremely accurate and has all the attributes I look for in a good rifle.
I can't see anyone ever being happy with one of the "cheap" rifles. Especially if he wants to keep it for the rest of his life. Plus, the "cheapos" don't have hardly any resale value, whereas one of those listed would resell at the same purchase price or more later down the road.
Having felt the cruel pinch of want myself (I think I got that line from Jack OConnor), I understand that sometimes you've got to go cheap. Better that than to go rifle-less. I personally would probably leave a econo-model as-is, but lots of guys with plenty of bucks like to dress them up with new stocks and such and some of them turn out pretty nice. Good, cheap, fun and not much is lost if they end up traded or sold later.

My cheap (under $400) list is short, and based on what I've seen for sale recently:

Howa Ultralight $329 from Whittakers, a good bit more elsewhere.

Marlin X7 $249 from CDNN.

Ruger American All Weather SS .270 $299.99 from Whittakers (amazing for a SS rifle).

A used Savage 110 would certainly fit the bill, but I'd look around a bit for a good M98 sporter in 30-06. There are plenty of them out there and you can do about anything you want(within reason) with them. Hard to beat Peter Paul Mauser's baby...
Maybe RevMike will spot him a .275 Rigby. Professional courtesy.
The list of rifles I would not pay for is shorter then the ones I would pay for.

I shoot mostly Savage. I have shot the new crop of low cost rifles from Ruger, Marlin, and Winchester. Tika and Weatherby vanguard's are also favorites of mine.

The short list of rifles I wouldn't pay for:
The latest crop of Remington 700 or 783. I've have experienced feed and accuracy issues with both.

Browning AB3. Its a good rifle but for the money you are not getting anything more than the Winchester XPR. Oh yeah a wood stock. In that case I would try the Mossburg Patriot.

Da HaYen
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

Agree that good buys exist there, but feel my friend should buy "new" to get the warranty... He can't afford getting a used rifle at a good price and then having to re-barrel or have to rework the feeding system.

I've only bought one rifle that had a lemon for a barrel, and it happened to be a brand new Stevens 200 in .243. It fouled terribly and lost accuracy in about 20-25 rounds from a clean barrel, it's now a .250-3000. I'd have missed out on a lot of great rifles if I had passed up used rifles I've found. I've never had a .30-06 hunting rifle that I picked up used ever have a shot out barrel or feeding problems.
synthetic ? wood? stainless or blue ? you do not say where you are. if you are only hunting deer. a 25-06. rem or tikka

Bla bla bla...

Right now, the best gun for any money is on the Campfire for sale at a real affordable price. It is a Tikka (the real Tikkakoski) imported by Ithica years ago. It is an Ithica LSA-65 30-06 and will last a lifetime and outshoot most anything you will get your hands on at any price...
Savage Axis Part number 19226 in 30-06. list price is $368 brand new with lifetime warranty.
I'd look for a 700adl or a new Ruger American.
I like tho old remongton 721's. Nice guns, very accurate, and good deals on the used market
Right now, the best gun for any money is on the Campfire for sale at a real affordable price. It is a Tikka (the real Tikkakoski) imported by Ithica years ago. It is an Ithica LSA-65 30-06 and will last a lifetime and outshoot most anything you will get your hands on at any price...this from shrapnel
Originally Posted by roninflag
Right now, the best gun for any money is on the Campfire for sale at a real affordable price. It is a Tikka (the real Tikkakoski) imported by Ithica years ago. It is an Ithica LSA-65 30-06 and will last a lifetime and outshoot most anything you will get your hands on at any price...this from shrapnel

That's a great one, plus an Interarms 06 listed in classifieds...both great guns.
Ruger American
By definition, you can't call something a "value rifle" then complain about the stock feeling cheap, or the metal finish not on par with an $800 gun.

But, just cause it's a value gun, doesn't mean that function and accuracy have to suffer or be lousy.

That all being said, Ruger American hands down. Next step up would be a T3 (former version on clearance)
Howa 1500, from Whitakers... $329.00

Short Action Smoker will take good care of Campfire Members and their friends...

While I like the Marlin X7, since I have one... I'd still recommend the Howa... accurate, accessories available and they also are NOT out of Production.

That's my take also.

You said, "value gun" in the OP.

Value doesn't mean 'cheapest' to me. I'll have NONE of the RARs or Salvages. Cheap, yes, value ? try to resell?

I've had several Howas ( S-W; Wby Vanguard ) there is VALUE and quality.

I'd also suggest as someone else has, Pawn Shops. Sometime you can find fantastic deals.

Jerry
guns last a long time get a good one.
I offered this rifle up to the OP, but it isn't what he wants for his friend. However, since this thread isn't dying I'll shamelessly pimp it one more time. Just in case someone else might be interested, just PM me about it.

Winchester M670 .30-06 rifle that I dropped into a Winchester WinLite stock made by McMillan. It also has a 3-9X40 Burris FFII LRS (lighted reticle) Ballistic-Plex. The stock is camo Krylon paint and it's spot bedded at the recoil lug as well.

It isn't the lightest or prettiest rifle but it's a good solid hunting rifle with a lot of years left in it!

[Linked Image]
8lbs 7.1oz with five rounds of 150 grain .30-06 ammunition and Allen speed sling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Win 670 .30-06, McMillan stock, Burris FFII ad in Campfire classifieds!

@Taylorce1,

That is NOT a new "bargain" rifle. That is a used high quality shooter for not a lot of money!!!! The stock and scope alone is worth your asking price. Wish I had the funds.

HaYen
Taylor & others -

It's been a long time---so I might show my ignorance.

Is there a difference in the barreled actions of 670s & 70s?

I haven't seen a 670 in yrs but I've had em long ago.

I thot the main diff was in the stocks!

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
Taylor & others -

It's been a long time---so I might show my ignorance.

Is there a difference in the barreled actions of 670s & 70s?

I haven't seen a 670 in yrs but I've had em long ago.

I thot the main diff was in the stocks!

Jerry

The 670 has a blind magazine and I'm guessing a cheaper birch stock. Also they either had a 3 position wing safety like mine, or a 2 position slide safety similar to a M700. That's about all I know about them, and most of the ones I've seen were either .30-06 or .270 Win. I've been told they were chambered in other cartridges.

I bought this as pretty much a barreled action, didn't think I'd win it off of gunbroker. I placed the only bid, still at my asking price I'm not quite breaking even if someone buys it. I was putting it together for someone else, but they decided to go a different path with their life. If I didn't have a classic FWT .30-06 in a McMillan edge I'd probably keep this one.
Need advice on best "value bolt-action 30-06"

One that will be kept and used for the remainder of his life with no issues or problems.

I suggest looking out for a Husqvarna with a 98 mauser action as they can still be had at reasonable prices...or a similar second hand 98, no need to purchase new...just well.
Something like that would be my choice if I was starting over, but might be hard to find in some areas. That Mark X Shrap pointed out looks great.

Another good choice in a new rifle would be one of the discontinued Hawkeye All Weathers. They're rock solid reliable and almost bomb-proof. Haven't seen any '06s of late, but CDNN still has 7-08s, a great choice. Can't look at them too often, 'cause as my wife says, the money in my pocket starts "jumping".

"Jumping"...mine doesn't stick around long enough to do that.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

The 670 has a blind magazine

and I'm guessing a cheaper birch stock.

Also they either had a 3 position wing safety like mine, or a 2 position slide safety...

and most of the ones I've seen were either .30-06 or .270 Win. I've been told they were chambered in other cartridges.

Man this takes me back to the 70s so my 'rememberER' isn't too good.

The ones I had did have ADL style mags.
The 'hardwood' stocks were stained somewhat darker.
Mine had the Win 3 position safeties.

I know 1 of mine was in 243 W and I 'think' the other one was 270. ??
The 243 was a good looking rifle and shot very well.

IMO your rifle is quality + the UPgrades make it more desirable.

Jerry

Ruger American All Weather SS .270 $299.99 from Whittakers (amazing for a SS rifle).

Been watching that for awhile, now there's one less. It's so easy. Click click layaway click $47 done.
I'd suggest looking for a used Savage. Earlier this year I picked up a Model 11FXP3 manufactured in 2004 for $295. It shoots .5" groups with both factory and hand loads. I did have to buy a new spring for the AccuTrigger because a previous owner buggered it up.

This is the third Savage I've worked with and all have shot very well.

.30-06 or .308 will provide the widest assortment of ammo choices and generally lower prices than most other choices.
Just picked up a 1917 Enfield, that had been sporterized, Fajen Stock, cock on opening done to it, trigger tuned, new barrel, Lyman Globe sights front and rear, for less than $300.

This is a rifle that is 98 or 99 years old, Remington built ( not Eddystone).... will many of these budget rifles new on shelves nowadays be around in 98-99 years from now?

Bet this Enfield will.

oh and it is more than accurate.

.... will many of these budget rifles new on shelves nowadays be around in 98-99 years from now?

For many joe blow average hunters, yes. They're not loonys and don't shoot 1 box of ammo per year and probably don't clean the bore yearly either.

For serious hunters/shooters the obvious answer is NO.

Again, I'd rather have quality the first time.

Jerry

This^^^

I say this also, it's the route I always try to go if I have time to hunt shops/pawnshops, and there's really a lot of these rifles still around.
Originally Posted by wink_man

This^^^

I say this also, it's the route I always try to go if I have time to hunt shops/pawnshops, and there's really a lot of these rifles still around.

Ditto. Recently bought one from 1973. Solid American made shooter.
Old Crab,

For many non-looney shooters, the 30-06 is the only rifle cartridge that many can name, offhand. And many choose the cartridge simply for that fact.

There are any number of common, off the shelf rifles and cartridges that I'd choose before the 30-06 for an older or occasional shooter that would be more fun to shoot and just as deadly on deer.

OTOH, a lot of guys are simply fascinated with the Springfield cartridge, and nothing wrong with that. I would explore the options before putting money on a rifle.

Or you could show your buddy the classifieds here and see how many rifles he tries as things take their natural course... grin
Just picked up a 1917 Enfield, that had been sporterized, Fajen Stock, cock on opening done to it, trigger tuned, new barrel, Lyman Globe sights front and rear, for less than $300.

This is a rifle that is 98 or 99 years old, Remington built ( not Eddystone).... will many of these budget rifles new on shelves nowadays be around in 98-99 years from now?

Bet this Enfield will.

A lot of us mentioned used, but the OP scoffed at the remarks. You know you can't find a good used accurate rifle anymore these days..... whistle His friend is also "gun savvy" according to the OP. My question to all of you loonies out there is, how many of you truly "gun savvy" types have ever got burned buying a used 30-06 rifle? Generally, gun savvy types know what to look for when buying a used rifle. Some of my most accurate 30-06 rifles were used when I got them. As a matter of fact, the only 30-06 rifles I've ever bought were used, except for 1. 1 POS Remington BDL hot off the shelf, brand spanking new and I had to send the POS back to the factory because the chamber wasn't cut right. I can't list all the used 30-06 rifles that I've had, that were damn good rifles and accurate as well/hell because there were just too damn many of them. I'm thinking the OP's friend is not as "gun savvy", as he's letting on. wink
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bet this Enfield will.

A lot of us mentioned used, but the OP scoffed at the remarks. You know you can't find a good used accurate rifle anymore these days..... whistle His friend is also "gun savvy" according to the OP. My question to all of you loonies out there is, how many of you truly "gun savvy" types have ever got burned buying a used 30-06 rifle? Generally, gun savvy types know what to look for when buying a used rifle. Some of my most accurate 30-06 rifles were used when I got them. As a matter of fact, the only 30-06 rifles I've ever bought were used, except for 1. 1 POS Remington BDL hot off the shelf, brand spanking new and I had to send the POS back to the factory because the chamber wasn't cut right. I can't list all the used 30-06 rifles that I've had, that were damn good rifles and accurate as well/hell because there were just too damn many of them. I'm thinking the OP's friend is not as "gun savvy", as he's letting on. wink

I bought an H&R single shot that tended to open on firing. got rid of it. Other than that I've bought a bunch of used rifles (over half what I have in the safes) and have never gotten one that shot poorly.

When I want a quality rifle that shoots accurately, the first place look is for one that s used. Saw a pretty nice Ruger M77 in 7x57 this weekend at the Tanner gun show in Denver. $395. If I didn't already have a M77 in 7mm RM and a Hawkeye in .380 it would have gone home with me.

There was a nice remington model 78 in the classifieds for I believe $475 , ditto for a inter arms mauser. Depends on what you mean by budget, I recently sold a couple of stevens 200 rifles though not 30-06 but they were solid rifles. If he wants new call Whittaker guns In Owensboro Ky the Howa is as good as you'll find for under $400.
No worries but would like to add that a freshly produced 2016 Rem 700 ADL package rifle from WallyWorld had ZERO function, feeding or finish flaws like some reported from a couple-few years ago. For $379 it a crazy bargain. Not saying it's like the good ol' days, nor suggesting it's better than this or that, but it wasn't phucqk'ed up in the least. Around here, oft-times used ones are $600+. There's always exceptions and there's always good deals... Saw it somewhere, I think in a Nosler manual, a 30-06 rifle is ubiquitous. Right along with a decent deal on a 270 it's likely the easiest find there is. That 78 for $425 would have worked... Saw a mint pre-83 700 BDL 7-08 the other day for $500 and still kicking myself for not throwing it on layaway. Just because... But then 'budget' is a relative term.
Originally Posted by bangeye
There was a nice remington model 78 in the classifieds for I believe $475

If he wants new call Whittaker guns In Owensboro Ky the Howa is as good as you'll find for under $400.

IMO $475. Is too high for a 78

The Howa (S-W, Wby Vanguard) for less than 400 is a much better bargain.

Jerry
...feel my friend should buy "new" to get the warranty... .

This advice will most surely cause your friend to pay top dollar for a cheap rifle... arguably the worst kind of deal possible.

For the same money he'd spend on one of the cheapest, entry level rifles, he could get a much better quality, used one. Buying from a reputable seller, or having a professional do a pre-purchase inspection will be all the guaranty he'll need.

When was the last time anyone needed to use a warranty on a new firearm?
© 24hourcampfire