Home
Posted By: Linkovich00 Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Fixing to order a new bolt shroud for my T3. Is there any real difference between the companies that are making them as far as fit and finish? Leaning towards mountain tactical or glades armory.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Maybe I'm a knucklehead, but, why would you replace a perfectly serviceable part with a heavier version of same?
Posted By: RWE Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
some folks don't like plastic?
So he's replacing the rifle stock stock with an aluminium version, too?

I just don't follow this. However, some one is making bank selling small shaped aluminum parts for $60.

One wonders if you could just print one on a 3-D printer at the library using powdered aluminium and save money?
geez colonel, he just wants a metal bolt shroud.

Posted By: Linkovich00 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Maybe I'm a knucklehead, but, why would you replace a perfectly serviceable part with a heavier version of same?

Because I want one...fair enough?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Linkovich,

You might contact Tikka. They recently introduced the T3x, which has a metal shroud (among other small changes), and are making the new shroud available to shooters who want to switch. Or at least that's what I was told during a visit to the factory in Finland last fall. My bet is the Tikka shroud will be less expensive than the "custom" models.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Linkovich,

You might contact Tikka. They recently introduced the T3x, which has a metal shroud (among other small changes), and are making the new shroud available to shooters who want to switch. Or at least that's what I was told during a visit to the factory in Finland last fall. My bet is the Tikka shroud will be less expensive than the "custom" models.

contact Tikka, or their importer (Beretta?)
Originally Posted by Linkovich00

No disrespect implied. Sorry I brought it up. God knows I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars chasing accuracy in custom rifles that I already get with off the shelf stuff....or by changing ammo.
The aluminum shrouds from Tikka are on the shelves in retailers. They actually did a good job of getting the parts out (except the recoil lugs) for the guys wanting accessories. The Tikka shroud is a little less expensive than most of the other after market shrouds I've seen.
Posted By: Linkovich00 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Thanks, I'll see if I can track down one of the factory ones
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Sako Quad love on this?
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
I think both of mine came from Atlasworx.
Posted By: boliep Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16

I have one I will sell you for $45.00 shipped. Slightly used but you cannot tell.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Good gawd!, can't you just let the poor guy make a $50 upgrade to his rifle without questioning his judgement?......To the OP, I buy My T3 aluminum shrouds from Glades Armory for $49 and I like them very much......Enjoy your rifle........Hb
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16

I have seen several broken plastic shrouds.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
They break from turning the shroud wrong direction during bolt disassembly. I prefer the looks of the plastic shroud to most aftermarkets. The factory metal shrouds look very similar to the plastic ones. That's what I'd be buying.
Hillbilly,

Don't be a hater......

https://tikkaperformance.com/index.php?_route_=tikka-t3-bolt-shroud

http://www.shapeways.com/product/U3...jR86EQH8aAgjX8P8HAQ&optionId=8201951

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...32&poi=&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
Lmao!....OK I'll quit..........Hb
Posted By: nick54 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/28/16
My vote is for glades
Posted By: KenMi Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
I have two of the Mountain tactical gen 2 versions. Very nice. When I bought the first one, I sorta bi***ed them out for claiming that their version was "rattle free" without a needed spring. They then said that there are manufacturing variances in the rifles beyond their control, which I suppose is logical.

I was tempted to send the thing back for a refund, but liked the looks of it too much, so did some tinkering. I found the size of stainless spring that works perfectly to eliminate any play, and told them about it. They are now including a spring with every shroud (as they did with the second one I ordered)

If I was going to get a different aftermarket one, I'd probably opt for the stainless steel one through Ebay, made in Norway. That one looks slick on the stainless T3, and makes it look like part of the action.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
Here's the new T3X factory part. Looks like a spring is included.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/t3x-metal-bolt-shroud-t3x-shroud/s54065177/
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
I am going to keep my plastic shroud until it needs to be replaced or I find a take off for cheap.
Posted By: bushrat Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
Curious as I have never heard in any tikka literature saying the new shroud is actual metal. It calls them "Metallic" never specifying what type of metal. Are they some sort of injection moulded "metallic" compound. One would think if it were real metal they would say what it was. I know 'metallic' paint and 'metallic' brake pads which are really not made of metal and metallic paint has no metal whatsoever. This use of the term 'metallic' to describe their product makes me question it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
Tag

P
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
tag
Posted By: swag Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
Originally Posted by bushrat
Curious as I have never heard in any tikka literature saying the new shroud is actual metal. It calls them "Metallic" never specifying what type of metal. Are they some sort of injection moulded "metallic" compound. One would think if it were real metal they would say what it was. I know 'metallic' paint and 'metallic' brake pads which are really not made of metal and metallic paint has no metal whatsoever. This use of the term 'metallic' to describe their product makes me question it.

I get what you are saying. I have a new T3x and thought the same thing. I does not look or feel like a piece of aluminum or steel in my eyes...
Posted By: KenMi Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
Cast aluminum (aka pot metal) vs. a machined part?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/29/16
The good old days of Tikka shrouds. Some chap down under was making them..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: garCH Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/30/16
$35 and I'm happy w several I've bought for myself and friends

http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?products_id=533
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have seen several broken plastic shrouds.

My brother has a cracked one right now. As far as he knows, he hasn't hit it on anything either. Heat from being in a truck in Florida maybe?
Posted By: kman Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/01/16
I like mine. Stainless steel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/01/16
Which one is that? Matches up nicely to the receiver.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/01/16
That shroud looks great....Very nice!..........Hb
Posted By: KenMi Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/02/16
Mountain Tactical will have a stainless version available shortly as well.
Posted By: kman Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by 16bore

Guy in Canada makes them. They also come in aluminum grey or black. They are an exact clone of the factory shroud. I've had the other goofy looking ones too and like these better.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by kman
Originally Posted by 16bore

Guy in Canada makes them. They also come in aluminum grey or black. They are an exact clone of the factory shroud. I've had the other goofy looking ones too and like these better.

I agree. Those are the best I've seen. I think they look better than Tikkas new metal one.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/03/16
I looked at them all and bought from this Gentleman. His customer service
and followup even though he is in Australia is second to none.

Lumley Arms

Posted By: Linkovich00 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/03/16
I'm leaning towards the mountain tactical. The factory Tikka one isn't much cheaper and the "metallic" description makes me question it a little bit. I've emailed Lumley arms twice now about a couple parts and have yet to get a reply so they're out as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/03/16
I'm leaning towards the mountain tactical. The factory Tikka one isn't much cheaper and the "metallic" description makes me question it a little bit. I've emailed Lumley arms twice now about a couple parts and have yet to get a reply so they're out as far as I'm concerned.

What email address? Never had an issue with contacting them.
Posted By: Linkovich00 Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Using the contact form on the US website
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka bolt shroud - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I deal directly with him in Australia [email protected]
© 24hourcampfire