Home
Posted By: MojoHand Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
Been on a open sight kick for awhile now and spent the last two Sunday's lobbing lead out to 150 with an assortment of hardware. Absolute blast....goodbye bench work and paper!

Last Sunday...

[Linked Image]

The mighty .375's..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
Today's outing...

Buddy left his African home but we added a few more...

[Linked Image]

Our own range...we're never bothered (well, maybe a bovine or two sometimes). grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
I sight in the factory irons on my BDLs in 06 and 222. It is fun, and they were actually pretty damn functional.
Going old school...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
You ought to think about getting some Rugers😛!
And the awesome millennials...

Phil Shoemaker approved!

I strongly recommend the couch bound do not gaze directly at the pics....only steal glances from the corner of your eyes. You can't handle it...

As perfect an all around platform as has ever been conceived!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Oh,

And we played with some smaller stuff, too.... whistle

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
Very cool rifles. Looks like a blast. The pictures remind me of where I grew up in the high desert of Nevada, but probably montana or some place similar...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
I see the paddles, where's the boats?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
Did you convert the Mk II's to 375? Was it Ruger or H&H and tell us about the conversion if you would.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/14/16
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I see the paddles, where's the boats?

Looks like a dry lake bed to me. He's chit out of luck.. laugh
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
They're both Ruger .375 Alaskans that we dumped the Hogues and put in boat paddles.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
Love these open sight threads. Someday Im going build a dedicated open sight rifle, or just buy a pre-64 with the drop comb stock.
Posted By: deflave Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
Mojo,

What sight do you have on that pump gun?

(rear type)

Travis
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by MojoHand
They're both Ruger .375 Alaskans that we dumped the Hogues and put in boat paddles.

Love those boat paddle stocks. Of the three I have, only one was from the factory. .30-06, .300WM (the factory rifle) and a .338WM.
Originally Posted by deflave
Mojo,

What sight do you have on that pump gun?

(rear type)

Travis

That's my buddy's he inherited from his grandpa. He had it D&T'd and I believe that's a Williams on the back.

The front sight wasn't painted and was kinda hard to pick up but we were ringing the steel at 100 with ease and it had been quite a while since he shot and I had never touched it (or any pump) before. Could tell it was old school...had the perfect drop at the comb for irons. Handled really slick--I can see why they were so popular up in the north woods.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
Kinda miss the old receiver sight on my pre 64s but now that my eyes are fixed i may try em again. Kimbers don't fit up with peeps to my liking but have my eye on a very nice old Husqvarna 06.

My longest shot ever on a moose [crippled] was with Lyman receiver sight on pre64 375 SG......

A rifle without scope is much nicer to carry.
Originally Posted by VernAK
Kinda miss the old receiver sight on my pre 64s but now that my eyes are fixed i may try em again. Kimbers don't fit up with peeps to my liking but have my eye on a very nice old Husqvarna 06.

My longest shot ever on a moose [crippled] was with Lyman receiver sight on pre64 375 SG......

A rifle without scope is much nicer to carry.

Bingo!

I hunted a combo elk/Muley open hunt a few years ago wih my 77/44 loaded with 300 gr CP WFN. It was like carrying a walking stick! Awesome!

That really got me on the open sight kick and I haven't stopped. Reading Mule Deer's chapter on open sights in OORL just psyched me up even further. The only dilemma I'm facing is choosing between the No.1 RSI in 7x57 or the new Ruger .375 for this year's elk/Muley combo. As svelte as the RSI is, I'm really hooked on the .375 for now so it'll probably get the nod.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
For years, a model 70 with Lyman receiver sight and sourdough/patridge front blade was the preferred combo.

I carried one for 30 years and have never felt that my scopes, used in the last decade, did much to improve my kill ratio.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
Yep. Took one hunting last year

[Linked Image]

this one did about 2" at 200, the last time I had it out...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 4th_point Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/15/16
Good post Mojo. Lee-Enfield and corn-cob 760 are two of my favorites.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/17/16
Iron sights are fun! Pretty much been using some form of iron sights, either open or peep for the past several years now. Going to keep using em as long as my eyes hold out!
Posted By: tarzan Re: Iron (sight) man! - 08/20/16
I'm a big fan of iron sights. I stopped using a scope for hunting about 20 years ago.

I wish companies still made a lot of options for iron sighted rifles. Pretty much all bolt action rifles today come with stocks that have too high a comb for using with iron sights.

Here's a couple of mine,

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire