Home
We just got in a bunch of Howa mini's...

We received the LW 20' 6.5 Grendel's, all barrel weights of the 7.62x39's, more 1500 Lightenings in 6.5 Creedmoor....

....and a BUNCH on the 223 Mini's in the 22" standard model and the 20" LW model. I know I told you all we wouldn't see the 223 mini's at $329.99 again, but I worked out another deal!

Please don't send PM's. I'll post links once we have them loaded on our website. They'll be up by end of business tonight.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/25/16
Tag for tomorrow.
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/25/16
No better deal.

Dave
Posted By: fats Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/25/16
Hey SAS! Price on a Howa 6.5 varmint in 24" Cerakote.

Thank you!
Too bad they can't see their way to making a left hand action. I love the guns, but I am a dedicated lefty.
Here is the 1500 Lightening in 6.5 Creedmoor:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5857643

223 Mini with 22" standard contour barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/276

223 Mini with 20" lightweight barrel contour:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/2572838
7.62 Mini with 22" standard contour barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/7775564

7.62 mini with 20" heavy barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/8026425

7.62 Mini with 20" lightweight barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5168699

6.5 Grendel Mini with 22" standard barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/65350226

6.5 Grendel Mini with 20" heavy barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/4789179
Originally Posted by fats
Hey SAS! Price on a Howa 6.5 varmint in 24" Cerakote.

Thank you!

Thomas -- can you give me the exact model number?
Here you go SAS!

Hgr92542mcc+FDE

Thanks
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Is this a polished or matte blue?
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/25/16
Is the Lightening a Houge stocked model?
Here you go SAS!

Hgr92542mcc+FDE

Thanks

$548.99
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

I'll actually need to look in the morning! I'm thinking polished...

Originally Posted by Otter6
Is the Lightening a Houge stocked model?

Not Hogue rubber over molded, it's plastic -- but has same ergo's as Hogue.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/25/16
6.5 Grendel Mini with 22" standard barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/65350226

The details of the heavy barrel gun come up, but not the standard barrel. They all gone already?
Try this:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/6535022

Please let me know if it works...
Hey SAS what's the turnaround time on that rifle? Thanks!
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

I'll actually need to look in the morning! I'm thinking polished...

I'll bet you're right.
Hey SAS what's the turnaround time on that rifle? Thanks!

Really fast if they have it in stock. I'll text my rep.
That's a big 10/4!
Posted By: AKduck Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/25/16
My Grendel has been an absolute joy to shoot. First handloads were sub MOA.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/26/16
SAS...you gots mail...Thanks!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/26/16
"I'm Shameless" Said G Brooks and me too! grin
Mini 1 Thanks Travis!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mini 2 Thanks Hank!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mini 3
[Linked Image]
Owner ADL'd it and had it dipped!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/26/16
No rifle pics for Mini 4 cry but really like the shaping on this. Skipped the flutes.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And a 1500 Lightning. Un Hogued.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Does anyone make a decent replacement stock for the Howa 1500 in 6.5 creed?

Or, should I just rebarrel a rem700?

Or pillar bed a wood stock and paint it?
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Mcmillan and several other companies make stocks for the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16

There's laminate and premium composite options readily available if desired. And Vanguard takeoffs. However, is the stiff poly stock going to be a significant detriment to proper function? They come pillared - just bed the lug, maybe the tang, or whatever is needed to achieve proper fit and it'll work like anything else that fit's right. You're in it for the price of the epoxy... $329 +$13 shipping is a pretty dang good starting point. The one I had fit plenty well out of the box by the way, a bit of epoxy and it fit functionally perfect. If you want to spend more there's many ways to do it.
Derek, is there any chance you could get a measurement of the muzzle diameter on the 20", heavy-barreled Grendels? I just put a standard 22" on layaway, and after looking at my standard .223, I'm thinking I might want to switch the Grendel to the heavier version.
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16

I have McMillan's on three different 1500's.

Doesn't git no better.

Dave
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16
What is the ROT of the .223s? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I rode down to Whittaker's today, just to get out of the house, and to hit up Moonlite BBQ.

I liked the action heaps, but not the stock, so I'm sitting on my hands waiting on whether or not the twist rate is fast enough. I've seen Mtn. Boomer's stock re-works, which looked pretty good, so that's manageable.

I've got enough rifles, but I kinda liked the two .223s, maybe enough to buy one, but the ROT is the factor.
1-9"
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16
Thanks. I'm still thinking about it, but that helps.
Anyone know the muzzle diameter of the 223 20" lightweight?

The 22" Std is 0.560".
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Thanks. I'm still thinking about it, but that helps.

Stop thinking.

Dave
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16
Gotta tell ya. I never owned a Howa. Or a 6.5 Creedmoor. These posts have me thinking I should.
Posted By: joe6555 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16
Does the mini action take regular Remington Bases?
Originally Posted by joe6555
Does the mini action take regular Remington Bases?

Yes.

Clark
Originally Posted by seven_miller
Derek, is there any chance you could get a measurement of the muzzle diameter on the 20", heavy-barreled Grendels? I just put a standard 22" on layaway, and after looking at my standard .223, I'm thinking I might want to switch the Grendel to the heavier version.

I can do it Momday. I've not looked at the Campfire today. Sorry for the delay...

I rode down to Whittaker's today, just to get out of the house, and to hit up Moonlite BBQ.

I liked the action heaps, but not the stock, so I'm sitting on my hands waiting on whether or not the twist rate is fast enough. I've seen Mtn. Boomer's stock re-works, which looked pretty good, so that's manageable.

I've got enough rifles, but I kinda liked the two .223s, maybe enough to buy one, but the ROT is the factor.

Sorry I missed you! I ran in this morning for a bit, but left around 10:30. I had lots to do around the house. I'm usually not around all day on Saturday this time of year.
Posted By: Jbb710 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/27/16
I have the Boomer special #4. I dropped the ball on him, and haven't gotten him the pics. If you buy a mini, which you probably should, definitely keep him in mind. I'm not really technically proficient, and I'm having difficulty adding my pics.

The rifle is sweet, and with Leupold bases and rings, and a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 and an empty mag, it weighs 6.8 pounds.

-Josh

Forgot to add, SAS and the guys at Whitakers are awesome to deal with. They worked with me, and even jumped through hoops for me when I managed to order the wrong bases.
Wow - that bench is nice! Sure opened the grip up on that one... Thanks Josh.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/28/16

Sorry I missed you! I ran in this morning for a bit, but left around 10:30. I had lots to do around the house. I'm usually not around all day on Saturday this time of year.

I took the wife along, under the guise of going to Moonlite. She's been after me to go to a good BBQ joint for awhile, so we took the ride down your way.
"Hey honey, since we're already here, we might as well go down the road a bit further and check out that gunshop I like so much". grin
We work nights, and had barely got on the road by 10:30, we'd only got to bed about 6AM. Working nights ain't gittin' it. I might skip sleeping altogether and run back down there next weekend.

I'm pretty .223'd out, but I guess another one wouldn't eat me out of house and home. A nice lightweight .223 ain't gonna hurt anything. I've swapped off/given away all but two of my heavy guns, since I quit P-doggin', but a lightweight is always kinda nice to have around.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/28/16
What's the mag constraints on these howas? Can you shoot heavier bullets out of them and load close to lands? I'm sure a 75 amax too lands may not be possible but what are you guys working with. I have a desire to own a 223 fast twist, but cannot decide what too get. Would love to be able to try 75amax or something of the likes. Bthp?
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/28/16
The mini will confine you to AR mag lengths.

There is room in the standard 1500.

Clark
Posted By: boatboy Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/28/16
I had my Mini out Thursday and plinkin Gongs at 200 is not a big deal. I was shooting cheap Wolf Gold

Now really Deflave does it with more style (and better brass see the Vid) but its just fun to plink with it

Honestly its a fun cheap gun that really doesnt act like a cheap gun.

The work Carl did on it (223) just made it really user friendly.His shaping is very good.

The green 6.5 is also mine and I would rebuy it in a heart beat

not trying to be a kiss azz but what Carl has done for me is great

I like both my Howas, he made them better

Hank
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/28/16

We received the LW 20' 6.5 Grendel's, all barrel weights of the 7.62x39's, more 1500 Lightenings in 6.5 Creedmoor....

Please don't send PM's. I'll post links once we have them loaded on our website. They'll be up by end of business tonight.

I see the 22" standard and 20" heavy barreled Grendels but no 20" lightweights....sold out already or still on the way?

Thanks
My .223 Mini will fit a little longer than AR length in the mag. Can't remember exactly, but it's in the 2.325" range. Maybe even 2.335"...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/29/16

I bought a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Whittaker's and had it in a couple of different stocks, 'cause I don't like the ergs of the Hogue. I had it in an old style B&C stock that I bought on eBay for $100+/- from a guy in Maryland who appears to have a bunch of them. I like it OK, but don't love it, so I currently have it in a V2 take-off and like it as well as the B&C, maybe even a little better.

I have a 24" barrel V2 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I put in a McM McM Hunter style stock and like it a lot. For me, putting a $450 stock on a $550 rifle made the rifle significantly more user friendly from an ergs point of view. The 22" Howa 1500 and the 24" V2 balance much differently, even though the only difference is 2" of barrel.

GPC has new, old-stock, Smith & Wesson branded deluxe grade walnut 1500 stocks that are, IMO, much nicer than anything coming out of Boyds and for less $$, around $180 shipped. This is GPC part # 584470A/B/C/D. The also have the standard grade walnut stocks for about $30 less. The standard grade stocks have a dull finish, while the deluxe grade stocks has a glossy finish that looks to me like the finish on a Remington 700 BDL.

If you already have a Remington 700 donor with a stock that you like, rebarreling might be the way to go. If you're starting from square 1, it would be hard to argue against buying the $330 Howa 1500 from Whittaker's and "stone soup" it a nickel at a time until you get it the way that you want it.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

I see the 22" standard and 20" heavy barreled Grendels but no 20" lightweights....sold out already or still on the way?

Thanks

Still on the way. I think we have something like 30 of those coming. I can't remember how many I ordered!

I didn't get in today for measurements. We're closed anyway and I needed to do stuff in preparation for the bow opener Saturday!
Posted By: joe6555 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/29/16
Do the 7.62's have a .308 bore by chance?
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/29/16
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Thanks

Still on the way. I think we have something like 30 of those coming. I can't remember how many I ordered!

Thanks, good to know - I will be all over one. Have an ETA by any chance?
Originally Posted by joe6555
Do the 7.62's have a .308 bore by chance?

I emailed Legacy a few weeks ago and got this response:

Originally Posted by LSI
,310 bore coming in 30 days !

Andy McCormick - President - Legacy Sports Int'l
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/30/16
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
[quote=David_Walter]

GPC has new, old-stock, Smith & Wesson branded deluxe grade walnut 1500 stocks that are, IMO, much nicer than anything coming out of Boyds and for less $$, around $180 shipped. This is GPC part # 584470A/B/C/D. The also have the standard grade walnut stocks for about $30 less. The standard grade stocks have a dull finish, while the deluxe grade stocks has a glossy finish that looks to me like the finish on a Remington 700 BDL.

GPC? Sorry Can't seem to recall who they are.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/30/16
I think he may be referring to Numrichs Gun Parts Corp........
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/30/16
Ah, that site I know well. Thanks!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 08/30/16
www.gunpartscorp.com

If you call the telephone order number, 866-686-7424, they will give you a $4.95 shipping discount code if you are willing (able?) to complete your order on-line.
Does anyone know what scope rings are required for the Howa Mini action?

I just picked mine up today. Thanks Whittakers and ShortActionSmoker!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Howa Goodness Update... - 09/03/16
Decided on a LTWT mini in 223, it's on the way. I have a bulk box of Hornady 75 grain HPBT;s with cannelure that need to be shot at various things. Hope they like the 1 in 9 inch twist.
Do you have any of the 223 minis left OD green? Regular barrel ?
© 24hourcampfire