Home
Posted By: huntsonora What's up with my 25-06 - 08/30/16
Just dropped this former SPS 25-06 into an MPI ADL configured stock and my bolt is a little tight. When I cycled some rounds through it scratched the cases. Any ideas?

Here is the rifle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And here are the scratched casings. My guess is it will be something simple but I'm damn sure not a gunsmith

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TBS Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/30/16
Loosen the front action screw and try it again! Either the screw is too long or the action is binding.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/30/16
Your follower is in a bind, would be my guess!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/30/16
Could be the brass is catching on the side of the magazine box as it is chambered or a bur in the chamber area?
Posted By: huntsonora Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/30/16
The bolt isn't as loose as I'd like it to be either. It's just a little tight and was tighter when chambering the rounds
Posted By: huntsonora Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/30/16
And thanks for the responses!
Posted By: davidlea Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/31/16
Try to chamber some rounds with the screws out of the stock, if that helps check to see if the mag box is putting up pressure on the action-a common problem and easy fix by grinding some off the bottom of the box. Check to make sure no grit or metal made it's way into the chamber-run a clean mop in there and see if you pull anything out.

And like mentioned above, the forward recoil screw could be a bit long because of the stock difference.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/31/16
Clean your chamber and feed rails. That should help.
Posted By: 1minute Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 08/31/16
Yes. If it started with stock swap it's likely a mag box or screw length issue. For sure there is a bedding/stress problem if the bolt if offering more resistance. If one is not familiar with such, it would be best to get the package to a smith for a proper bedding job. Operation either in or out of the stock should be identical.
Posted By: ldholton Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 09/01/16
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. If it started with stock swap it's likely a mag box or screw length issue. For sure there is a bedding/stress problem if the bolt if offering more resistance. If one is not familiar with such, it would be best to get the package to a smith for a proper bedding job. Operation either in or out of the stock should be identical.

this or check action screw length
Originally Posted by 1minute

Good post.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: What's up with my 25-06 - 09/02/16
I had that happen with a scope base screw being too long.
© 24hourcampfire