Home
Posted By: coyote268 Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/22/16
My 25 year old Granddaughter is undergoing cemo for cancer which they believe is curable. She loves to hunt Turkeys and wants to get a go at Hogs. I'm looking at different compacts and the only two left hand are the Savage and Ruger, The caliber will be 7mm-08 and looking at the specs of both rifles the Ruger American's barrel is only 18 inches. Just wondering if anybody has this rifle in 7mm-08 and how does it shoot.
Remington makes a compact LH M700 SPS in .243 and 7mm-08, that comes with a 20" barrel. Might be worth looking at.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/22/16
Thanks, I just found this out. Didn't know they made it in a LH
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/22/16
I have the RAR compact stainless lefty in 7mm-08. I have only had it to the range one time, but so far I like it. Short and handy, and suitably accurate.

Another option would be the same rifle in .243. Same good results with less recoil.

The short barrel would be handy in the woods or on a stand.

To be honest, I have the same rifle in .223, as well, and am considering another one in 308 or 243.

Also, Browning makes a compact lefty, the X-Bolt Micro Midas left hand. Depends on how much you want to spend.

It's pretty hard to beat the price on the RAR compact, though. Davidson's has the lefty RAR compact stainless in 7mm-08 on sale right now for $379.49 to my local gun store, plus fees and taxes, for a total price of $422.75. That's pretty dang cheap for a stainless rifle, and last I knew, those RAR compacts in lefty stainless are not a cataloged item, meaning if you want one, you better get it while it is offered.

Another option, if you're interested, is to buy a RAR with 22" barrel and then buy a compact stock from Ruger for about $55. That would give her the 22" barrel if y'all preferred it over the 18".

And finally, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your granddaughter, and best of luck in her fight!

Posted By: KenMi Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/22/16
Another vote for the Ruger, hands down, between the two. I have had the lefty stainless 243 RAR in both the compact version (which I put a standard length stock on), and the full length version (which I currently have). The accuracy of both was excellent. With the compact, I was getting 2 shots touching at 100 yards, the first day out with it at the range. It is a very handy rifle.

Only drawbacks are somewhat loss of velocity and a significant difference in muzzle blast. The standard barrel almost sounds muted compared to the compact barrel in .243. So, that is something to consider. Like was mentioned, you can get either length stock as a spare part, and switch back and forth with no problems.

I guess if I was setting up a young hunter or woman, I might go with the standard version, and then order a compact stock, if they needed a shorter LOP. Unless there was a particular reason for a shorter barrel, such as in tight blinds or brush
PM KKAlaska. He's got a wheelbarrow of RARs.
Not to muddy the waters, but last year I picked up a LH Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter in 7-08. Really like the rifle with the 20" barrel and a 12.5 inch LOP before you use the included spacers to add another 3/4" to it.
Posted By: Rmart30 Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/23/16
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Not to muddy the waters, but last year I picked up a LH Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter in 7-08. Really like the rifle with the 20" barrel and a 12.5 inch LOP before you use the included spacers to add another 3/4" to it.

Those Micro hunters are some nice ones and probably would be my choice.

Tikka also has a T3 lite in left hand.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/23/16
Thanks Guys, have something to think about. She is a sweetheart. She was in the post academy (California police officer training) when it hit her. Her instructors said she was the top shot in her class with a pistol. She told them it runs in the family but I don't know about that as I can't hit the side of a barn with a pistol.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/23/16
Talus now thats not true!
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Talus now thats not true!

He probably meant to say dump truck full... laugh
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Left Hand Compact rifle - 10/23/16
Lost all my rifles in canoe incident, tragic!
© 24hourcampfire