Home
Posted By: timspawn Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/10/16
What are the differences between these two rifles?
Montana has a $500 Kevlar stock with a blind magazine.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
Hunter has injection molded stock with removable magazine. Barreled action is the same. The stock on a Montana is as good as they come IMO. They're thin in the belly and carry very well being a blind magazine.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
I can't see going Hunter when one of the best attributes of the Montana is the stock.
Posted By: timspawn Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
Thank you.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
Originally Posted by 16bore
I can't see going Hunter when one of the best attributes of the Montana is the stock.

X2
For the price and weight without the better stock,I would be looking at a Tikka Superlight instead of the Hunter.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
I handled the Hunter, and it wasn't bad at all. If prices settle down, or used ones hit the market, I'll get one in 308. Knowing me, if I do a hunt where I want the 308 and ounces count, I'd probably swap stocks with a Montana I have and lighten it up a bit. Sounds like a Hunter will drop right in a Montana stock.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
Either makes a fine rifle.

But the Montana is one of the best guns made, IMO.

When you need one, that is.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I handled the Hunter, and it wasn't bad at all. If prices settle down, or used ones hit the market, I'll get one in 308. Knowing me, if I do a hunt where I want the 308 and ounces count, I'd probably swap stocks with a Montana I have and lighten it up a bit. Sounds like a Hunter will drop right in a Montana stock.

Are the feed rails the same between the two? I thought there was something different there.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/11/16
I thought I read that SAS had dropped a Hunter into a Montana stock and all was good.
I was thinking that there was a difference since one is blind mag and the other box mag.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Sounds like a Hunter will drop right in a Montana stock.

It will.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I was thinking that there was a difference since one is blind mag and the other box mag.

Same/same.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/12/16
So just to clarify, the blind magazine of the Montana stock accepts the Hunters magazine box, spring and follower without modifications?
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
So just to clarify, the blind magazine of the Montana stock accepts the Hunters magazine box, spring and follower without modifications?

The Hunter is DBM.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Montana vs Hunter - 11/12/16
As Reminton goes, you can't ADL a DBM, but you can DBM an ADL but not with Remmie DBM parts.

Another reason blind mags rule for me.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

No. Accepts the barreled action. Need to use the Montana's internals.
© 24hourcampfire