Home
Posted By: MarkFed What to do? - 12/06/16
Ok, say you're an idiot with a hunting rifle obsession that won't let you pass up anything that looks halfway classic, cool, in great shape for its age, or at a good price. You already own well over 100 hunting rifles, you prefer long actions, most of your rifles are chambered for classic cartridges. Also, you are not loyal to 1 specific manufacture or model. You like bolt actions, pumps, and levers all the same. You are definitely NOT a snob when it comes to firearms.

Recently you decided that you should probably downsize your collection or at least stop expanding it. You hate the decision but are trying to make it work.

Now you were offered a New In Box - Ted Williams Model 53 in .30-06. It's basically a post 64 push feed Winchester model 70 from the 1970s and looks brand new.

$275 FTF deal...do you buy it?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: What to do? - 12/06/16
Hard to pass on that impressed acorn & oakleaf "checkering" they used back then.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: What to do? - 12/06/16
No,don't buy it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by MarkFed
Ok, say you're an idiot with a hunting rifle obsession that won't let you pass up anything that looks halfway classic, cool, in great shape for its age, or at a good price. You already own well over 100 hunting rifles, you prefer long actions, most of your rifles are chambered for classic cartridges. Also, you are not loyal to 1 specific manufacture or model. You like bolt actions, pumps, and levers all the same. You are definitely NOT a snob when it comes to firearms.

Recently you decided that you should probably downsize your collection or at least stop expanding it. You hate the decision but are trying to make it work.

Now you were offered a New In Box - Ted Williams Model 53 in .30-06. It's basically a post 64 push feed Winchester model 70 from the 1970s and looks brand new.

Even I would pass on that one.. Sorry..
Posted By: jwall Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Since YOU asked-- I'd walk away and never look back.

Jerry
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
No.

Posted By: ingwe Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Another no.

If you had nothing, and were looking for a good utility gun, that would be your Huckleberry.

Otherwise its like collecting Rolexs and picking up a deal on a Timex.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
A lot of Winchester guys telling you no, is a good hint.... wink
Posted By: MarkFed Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Gotcha
Posted By: Terryk Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Buy it and give it to a kid.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Depends on if it has the anti bind slot cut into the bolt head. the very early post 64 actions that did not have the anti-bind slot cut into the bolt head SUCK. Actions built after serial number 866,000 have the anti-bind feature and are smoother in operation. Of course some hate those push feed actions regardless.
Posted By: Bill Poole Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
"Ok, say you're an idiot with a hunting rifle obsession ... You already own well over 100 hunting rifles..."

you're definitely in good company here!

although with that much experience, I'm surprised you had to ask for advice....

Poole
Posted By: pal Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
...You already own well over 100 hunting rifles...you decided that you should probably downsize your collection...

Stick with the plan.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
new in box, decent rifle, $275? I am always a buyer lol
Posted By: Redneck Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Found the cross-reference.. It's a M70A, blind magazine with cheaper wood.. Made '72-'78.. I'm thinking it does NOT have the anti-bind slot.. But I'd have to see it to make sure..

I've got a Blue Book that's a couple years old now - and it shows 100% at $450.. But again that's for the Winchester nameplate.. The Ted Williams version was for Sears and will command a much less price..

Just passing info, FWIW.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Well, since the title to this thread is "What To Do".....since you have so many rifles you can't possibly use them all, I'd sell some and book a badasss trip to Africa and hunt your azzz off. grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Make your best investment EVER and give that rifle to a kid of a single mom. Take him to the range and then hunting.
Posted By: ChipM Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
I agree with JG and Fireball. Do both of those things. Hell with over 100 guns you could reduce your collection by 25% and hunt Africa and Alaska and still have the problem of too many to choose from. eek
Posted By: pal Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Make your best investment EVER and give that rifle to a kid of a single mom. Take him to the range and then hunting.

He doesn't need to buy another rifle to give to a kid! smile
Posted By: MarkFed Re: What to do? - 12/07/16
Well, put it this way. I'm a big fan of the old JC Higgins 50 etc. that had the FN Belgium actions. They are amazing rifles and shoot quite well even though they weren't "name brand" rifles.

I'm also into the old Interarms Mauser because my dad always shot one.

I don't really know anything about these Ted Williams rifles so I figured I would ask. You never know what information you might find.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: What to do? - 12/09/16
I'd love to find an old JC Higgins Belgium FN in good shape at a good price. Ted Williams post-64 Winnie? Pass.

If I had 100 hunting rifles I'd probably be looking to sell, not buy.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: What to do? - 12/09/16
I can't imagine the huge PITA it would be having 100 rifles kicking around. A few years back I got to the point where I had too many. My safe and my 6 gun cabinet were full. Beyond that there were guns standing in every corner of the living room and bedrooms and stuffed under the bed and couch. I sold a bunch off until only what would fit in the safe {12} and cabinet {6} were left and life was good again.
Posted By: MarkFed Re: What to do? - 12/09/16
You don't even want to hear about my shotguns, handguns, rimfire rifles, muzzleloaders, muzzleloading shotguns.....

The list goes on an on.

I do have a very nice storage facility and everything stays organized and in sleeves.
I did sell all of my milsurp stuff a while back. At least that's a step in the right direction.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: What to do? - 12/09/16

I'm in the same boat and I'd buy that sumbeech. I like push-feed Winnys, mainly because most of them I've screwed with shoot. And I like messing with rifles.

Like said above-- buy it, play with it, then give it to a kid, gal or guy that wants to hunt but doesn't have the bucks for a rifle.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: What to do? - 12/09/16
You don't even want to hear about my shotguns, handguns, rimfire rifles, muzzleloaders, muzzleloading shotguns.....

The list goes on an on.

I do have a very nice storage facility and everything stays organized and in sleeves.
I do still have a muzzleloader hanging on the wall in the living room and an old shotgun standing in the corner by the woodstove for decoration. Plus a couple handguns stuck in drawers here and there. I have kept the rifles and shotguns limited to what fits in the safe and gun cabinet though.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: What to do? - 12/09/16
A bargain is

"something you don't need, at a price you can't resist",

at least by my own definition.

On the other hand, a good .30/06, even in a 70A, makes an excellent rifle. I shot my first deer with a borrowed .243 in a 70A.

It would make a good rifle for a good kid, though. Do as you wish, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd do like the other guys suggest, thin out your collection and go to Africa or Australia and go shoot furry animals. AND give one to an underprivileged kid who has no mentor. BE a mentor for that kid, take them hunting and get them involved.

THAT would be a good thing.
Posted By: Sheister Re: What to do? - 12/09/16
Let me know if I can help you clear out some of those rimfires.... smile

Bob
They are my first love and tend to hang around...
© 24hourcampfire