Home
Posted By: trb696 Opinions on Sako TRG-S... - 12/10/16
Have a good guy that's offering me a deal on a Sako TRG-S in 30-378 Wby Mag. They seem to have only offered this model in 30-378Wby and 338Lapua. I'd rather it was in 338-378 but hey, its still a beast! I have shot.300Wby mag for years and have zero probs with the recoil and reload so cost is not so prohibitive.
My questions are:
Are there any weak points (I've read the synth stock likes to crack around the grip?)
Is it aluminum recoil block/bedded in synth stock?
Is the trigger a quality item or will it need work/replacement?
Does the barrel profile have enough meat for threading and brake, or is it light weight?
Is the Sako factory barrel known for top notch machining?
Chamber/throat charecterisics (long like a Wby or pretty tight?)
Ive also heard the bolt is glass smooth like a Tikka T3, true?

Thanks all for input, never had a Sako before and figure i'd ask the group. Anything else you could add is appreciated!
Posted By: hanco Re: Opinions on Sako TRG-S... - 12/11/16
Son in law has one. He loves it.
Posted By: trb696 Re: Opinions on Sako TRG-S... - 12/11/16
Thats great to hear! Any specifics on likes/dislikes?
I've heard they shoot "1/2" groups at 300 yards".... The guy could never prove it though. I loved taking his money at a centerfire shoot though... wink
Posted By: Nelson Re: Opinions on Sako TRG-S... - 12/11/16
My .338 Lapua is plenty accurate. Honestly bench time is just not that fun. It's definitely minute of elk. It's killed the 3 bulls it was aimed at. I like mine

Nelson
Posted By: trb696 Re: Opinions on Sako TRG-S... - 12/11/16
Hahaha minute of Elk, I like that :-) Someday I'd love to bring an Elk home to meet my grill but at my income level and not knowing any landowners here that dont charge 4 digits to hunt one I dont see that happening for a while, I'll just keep dreaming and watchin Sportsman Channel. BSA, yea like the guys who say they take deer at 200yds with .22lr. Nelson I can see em not being painless with a box of shells at a time, just nature of the beast. I think Im gonna get a small loan to get this rifle before it gets away. And if the barrel ever needs replacing, a .338-378 should be a direct fit! I like the 3 round box mag too. I dont NEED this but dang sure would LIKE to make it the flagship of the collection!
© 24hourcampfire