Home
I've been watching the posts about Dick's, Whitakers and other stores and their deals around Howas, Tikkas, Rem Model 7's, etc. I've got a few friends/relatives who are interested in either getting into, or expanding their, hunting, and they invariably ask "What's the most value for the money?" I tend to steer them toward Tikkas, Vanguard/Howas, or, in a recent case, the Browning AB3. I haven't--for right or wrong--gone the route of the Ruger American or Rem 783.

So, when you line up features (including breadth of chamberings) & accuracy again cost, which brands win?
I have to premise this by saying I haven't owned a ton of rifles. I'm a huge Sako 85 fan, but when I saw how well my buddy's Tikka T3 shot, and for the price they go for, I can't possibly imagine a better value.
I would say the close out T3's. I honestly think they shoot better than Sako on average. You have the same barrel and a stiffer action.
One that seems often overlooked is the T/C venture. Two guys I work with have them, one in .243 and one in .308 and they're both extemely accurate. Right in there pitching with my Tikka for accuracy. I've seen the .308 shoot 100 yd. cloverleafs with my own eyes and the .243 isn't far behind.
I'm a big fan of the Weatherby Vanguards. All three we've had have been accurate. Plus they just feel like a real rifle, much more than the Ruger American, Savage Axis, and others of that ilk. The Vanguard costs a bit more but is well worth it in my opinion.
Fremont

I really don't see how you can beat T 3.

If S S is important I love my T3 SS Lite. I've had it since 2003, killed ALOTTA deer, NO hitches, even STILL using stock rings.

There are cheaper rifles but for accuracy Out of the Box, can't beat Tikka.

Jerry
The Tikka is mighty hard to beat for a hunting rifle at any price.......Hb
Tikka and then savage for second... Hard to beat either one when it comes to price and out of the box accuracy...
Question on the Tikka T3x (any model): Is it offered in 6.5 CM?
Tikka T3 in stainless.

Then add:
-Quality scope of your choice
-Talley rings
-If a heavy kicker, add a pre-fit limbsaver recoil pad.

Works good, last long time.

Mmm
Originally Posted by fremont

AFAIK not yet, but Darrik (Whittaker's) says they will be this next year.
Spend a little more money and buy a ruger hawkeye.. Feels like a real rifle should...
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Mmm
Originally Posted by fremont

AFAIK not yet, but Darrik (Whittaker's) says they will be this next year.

There will be Tikka's T3X in 6.5 Creedmore in 2017. The European equivalent to SAMMI which is CIP had to approve the cartridge which has been done. The former rifle product manager ( Carrie) for Beretta USA had this done in early spring in 2016. Kimber hired her away to become their centerfire rifle manager in early summer which is why Kimber is now offering the 6.5 Creed.

Doc
You can cover a lot of ground for a very reasonable price with the Savage Axis.
Tikka T3
Weatherby Vanguard S2
Those Ruger Americans are cheap and accurate but I don't like the stock
Howas

Best value. Savage 10/11 series. You can get their package series with a useful Nikon scope for around $500. They are running a $75 rebate right now. Savage will shoot right there with a Tikka and in the unlikely event you ever need customer service, you can get it with Savage. Savage is a US company feeding US families and playing an active role in the preservation of 2A. The OP mentioned variety of calibers. Yep, Savage brings it.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP
If your talking straight budget gun, the best deals come off the used rack.

Most gun for the money(IMHO) would be the Savage/Nikon package mentioned above. Another good one would be the Mossberg/Vortex package rifles, I've seen walnut stocked ones in the $435 range. I know Mossberg doesn't get a lot of love around here, but the couple I've had the chance to shoot seemed accurate enough.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Best value. Savage 10/11 series. You can get their package series with a useful Nikon scope for around $500. They are running a $75 rebate right now. Savage will shoot right there with a Tikka and in the unlikely event you ever need customer service, you can get it with Savage. Savage is a US company feeding US families and playing an active role in the preservation of 2A. The OP mentioned variety of calibers. Yep, Savage brings it.

Paul convinced me here. He is correct and I go back on my Tikka recommendation. Savages are crazy accurate as well. And they are made here. You can keep the Nikon scope though.
Sportsmans Warehouse has 10% off right now on almost all rifles. I had some time to kill yesterday so ended up in the gun section and walked out with a new Tikka T3x Superlite in 7MM-08. The new model does have a slightly nicer factory stock than the old T3, the grip are has some nice texture to it, the recoil pad is maybe a bit softer, the new metal bolt shroud is also nice. For the price at 10% off its a heck of a nice rifle, and I expect it will shoot as well as my other Superlite 7MM-08.
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM that shoots incredible.
Originally Posted by RAS

Paul convinced me here. He is correct and I go back on my Tikka recommendation. Savages are crazy accurate as well. And they are made here. You can keep the Nikon scope though.

Lay a Savage and a Tikka side by side at the range with a couple boxes of ammo..... ain't no one picking the Savage.
My vote is to shop the used rack for the best values.

Interarms Mauser action rifles come to mind.
Until they run out, the best deal IMO is the 243 and 7-08 Marlin XS7 at CDNN. $280 gets you an accurate rifle that doesn't feel cheap like the Axis or Ruger American. If you want to get up into the $500+ range, then definitely Tikka or Ruger Hawkeye.

That's in new rifles. I agree most of the best deals are found in the used racks.
Type of hunting? I am impressed with the Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor I just got. Much nicer than my RAR's, but also heavier.

For barely over 300 bucks, it's a great rifle. For a little more, my Tikka T3 lite in .308 shoots rather nicely.
Not one mention of a 700. Has anyone bought one this year that can speak of quality/accuracy?
Tikka followed closely by a Kimber Montana.
Keep in mind there isn't much value in junk.

I'd say anything you'll buy and be proud to hand down to your kids after a lifetime of hunting with it.
I have had many Savages in many configurations and calibers. They have all shot well. I have also owned Coopers, Kimbers, Nosler 48, Sako's, Weatherbys, etc. I usually reach for one of my Savages when I head out hunting. Just a darn good tool that you are not scared to scratch or hunt in bad weather with. That being said, I recently bought my first Tikka, and this will not be my last. very impressed with the rifle! Either I would consider a good rifle for little money.

HeavyBarrel
Ruger Hawkeyes at cdnnsports.com for $499.
I like the 700's. also take a look at the Bergaras. Thats my next one. Tikkas shoot great but i had to let mine go just couldnt warm up to it
$500: Tikka

$1000: Kimber

$2000: build a custom
Browning X-Bolt micro hunter. 6.2 lbs. Handles like a full sized rifle. Sub inch groups from 20 inch barrel bone stock with my Hornady GMX 139 gr. reloads.
The deer I hit with it rock back and dirt nap.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

For the win.
Howa and Ruger
Originally Posted by winchester88
Spend a little more money and buy a ruger hawkeye.. Feels like a real rifle should...

Well said!

......this statement should end this thread
Grab a Tikka T3 Lite .308

Add Talley Lightweight rings

Add scope of choice, depending on budget. The SWFA fixed 6X makes a ton of sense, especially if money is an issue, and you can't rock a compact Nightforce.

The T3 .308/Talley/ Fixed power SWFA combo would be a rig that you could hunt everywhere in the U.S. for pretty much anything a centerfire rifle is commonly used for, and be content that it will easily do the job, if the shooter can do his.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Add scope of choice, depending on budget. The SWFA fixed 6X makes a ton of sense, especially if money is an issue, and you can't rock a compact Nightforce.

The T3 .308/Talley/ Fixed power SWFA combo would be a rig that you could hunt everywhere in the U.S. for pretty much anything a centerfire rifle is commonly used for, and be content that it will easily do the job, if the shooter can do his.

I have the 6x on one rifle and the SWFA SS 1-4 "Illuminati" on the other.
I have no experience with the Vanguard, but a friend has one and it shoots very well. It's a stainless MOA in 300 Weatherby, so it's probably more expensive than the other rifles discussed. I have always been a Remington man (since 1958, when I got my first 22 rimfire), but now my favorite brand is Tikka. I have owned four, and all are exceptional shooters. The only work which needs to be done on a Tikka is trigger adjustment. I have owned three Savages, and they are/were so-so shooters. Two are the Axis model, and I switched out the barrels for E.R. Shaw barrels, which shoot very well indeed. I still like Savage rifles, but they're not in the same league as Tikka. I didn't care for the Ruger American Rifle I handled in a gun shop. I can't offer an opinion as I haven't shot one. Mule Deer seems to like them fairly well - he owns 5.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I shipped off a Superlite in .308 this morning, I'm already wishing I hadn't. I was gonna list a Superlite in .30-06 but I came to my senses.

P
Originally Posted by bwinters

For the win.

They have the blued, synthetic Hawkeye in 280 Rem for $449 at the moment. I messed around and let the all weather stainless 7mm-08s sell out before I snagged one for $499.
That is a good deal, saw that this morning. I just wish they still had the aluminum floorplate though. Thats the one change I really didnt like on the hawkeyes. That piece of steel on there feels like they hung a weight from the magazine and branded it with the Ruger Logo. The original shiny stainless MKII's with aluminum floorplate was about as close to indestructible as they come. I'd love to find one with iron sights.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by bwinters

For the win.

They have the blued, synthetic Hawkeye in 280 Rem for $449 at the moment. I messed around and let the all weather stainless 7mm-08s sell out before I snagged one for $499.

I picked up one of the All Weather .280 Hawkeyes for myself, an All Weather .30-06 for a wedding present and Daughter #1 picked up a lefty walnut .308. Also got a walnut .30-06 for a wedding present but that didn't work out and the rifle is back in my safe. They all shoot great. If I wasn't in the middle of (probably year long) build of a .308 AR I'd probably get another.
They are available now. I sold 2 last month.
Savage. Cheap, they shoot really well.
Tikka, you won't be disappointed in an accurate rifle. It's also well made.
Whats the deal with the new Hawkeye stainless finishes? When the hawkeye came out, they all had that gritty matte finish, I know they changed the blued ones to a very nice satin, what if anything was done to the stainless?
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Sportsmans Warehouse has 10% off right now on almost all rifles. I had some time to kill yesterday so ended up in the gun section and walked out with a new Tikka T3x Superlite in 7MM-08. The new model does have a slightly nicer factory stock than the old T3, the grip are has some nice texture to it, the recoil pad is maybe a bit softer, the new metal bolt shroud is also nice. For the price at 10% off its a heck of a nice rifle, and I expect it will shoot as well as my other Superlite 7MM-08.

Frank you know your gonna drop that bad boy in a McEdge....you don't care about that factory stock😏 Hope you're doing well...
hanco - "Cheap, they shoot really well." Please clarify "cheap" for me as nothing today is "cheap"...less expensive maybe but not cheap. I've several Savage short actions and they provide good value for your $$$ and are accurate. Have no opinion on the AXIS models as I've not handled any. Homesteader
We are in the golden age of accurate affordable rifles and superior optics a working man can afford. Other than Remington's POS bargain model you almost can't go wrong buying one. I didn't like the feel of my Ruger American it was too flimsy and barrel light for me but it shot quite well. I've bought a couple of Savage Axis rifles without accutrigger and the need trigger spring tweaking to shoot well but they do. I bought a Howa this week for $330 in 25-06 and I'm guessing it will shoot and feel good. The Tikkas are nice but to me the Weatherby Vanguard is the best bang for the buck today. The idea that you can buy a 300 or 257 Weatherby for under $500 is hard to fathom when you compare performance and cost vs a MK V or custom, I love my 300 and it really shoots. A VX2, Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro, SWFA SS, Burris FF2, Sightron S2, and a bunch of others for under $350 mean that we have great choices today.

Some good advice there...I still think Tikka's are tough to beat. If you cant warm up to the plastic, the Vanguard is a solid rifle. Throw a FFII on there and your set. Its almost unfair for what you pay.
Where can you find a good deal on a Tikka SS Lite 308?
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by RAS

Lay a Savage and a Tikka side by side at the range with a couple boxes of ammo..... ain't no one picking the Savage.

Who cares what others think....spend your money on what you want.
The other day I wanted a new rifle. I looked at several brands including the Savage and the Tikka. I purchased the Savage. To me it's a better value.
About half my rifles and handguns were acquired gently used.

Hard to beat that for value when you get them at the prices I've paid.
Just about the best value in a rifle, today, is a pre-'64 Model 70, in a commonly produced chambering (such as .30-06) that has had a minor modification, like a non-factory recoil pad added. Bought my Featherweight for $700. It isn't likely to depreciate. smile

[Linked Image]
pal, I'll give you $705.00 for that fine rifle.....
Give me a moment to think about that....NAH! smile

But I'm right about the best value being a rifle that you can always sell for MORE than you paid for it.
Originally Posted by pal

But I'm right about the best value being a rifle that you can always sell for MORE than you paid for it.

Amen brother. You got that right. Try going on down to the next gunshow and selling a Remington 783, 710 or RAR. A couple of my buddies only buy the really cheap rifles like these and they have had the pleasure of TRYING to sell a used cheap rifle and it didn't go too well for them. I don't think they will ever understand, but it was an eye opener for them nonetheless.... wink
Originally Posted by prm
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM that shoots incredible.

Add a SWFA and you're out the door for around $700 and can slap a lot of stuff silly with factory ammo
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by pal

Amen brother. You got that right. Try going on down to the next gunshow and selling a Remington 783, 710 or RAR. A couple of my buddies only buy the really cheap rifles like these and they have had the pleasure of TRYING to sell a used cheap rifle and it didn't go too well for them. I don't think they will ever understand, but it was an eye opener for them nonetheless.... wink

I'm going to disagree a bit, although I do prefer that my rifles will sell for more than I have in them.

'Value' is a qualitative measure. Some of my firearms have sentimental 'value' that far exceed their monetary worth. Others I may have paid 'too much' for at the time but bought because I wanted them and couldn't find them for less.

My custom 6.5-06AI cost more than I'll ever get out of it but I don't care at all - I had it built for a purpose and it fills that role well. When I told Big Brother it was my '600-yard clay pigeon shooter' his response was 'I hope it does more than that.' It is and it does, but if that was all it was good for I'd be happy with it.

I'm the kind of guy that scratches his itches and generally finds that doing so is very satisfying. If the scratch produces the desired results, I really don't care about some hypothetical sell price.

Coyote_Hunter,

I'm the kind of guy that scratches his itches and generally finds that doing so is very satisfying. If the scratch produces the desired results, I really don't care about some hypothetical sell price.

Same here. My Weatherby is on the forth barrel. My Klienguenther is on its third.
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'd say anything you'll buy and be proud to hand down to your kids after a lifetime of hunting with it.

This^^^^^

Might add that cry once or a few times , you will be happy you did grin
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Calvin

This^^^^^

Might add that cry once or a few times , you will be happy you did grin

I had a buddy cry once when his Remington bolt handle fell off... Does that count? whistle
I recently read an article by I believe Terry Weinland about how he had purchased a nice custom Mauser nicely done but not necessarily by a known gunsmith for a fraction of what the work would cost today and how these type guns are fairly easy to find as they often don't reflect the current trends .
Guys I've read the whole thread.

We ALL have different opinions. They vary and sometime a whole LOT.

I 'think' the best value is the rifle YOU like/want, in the configuration YOU prefer, in the caliber(cartridge) YOU want, and AT the BEST price you can get it.

In yrs. past I have 'settled' and NEVER was satisfied till I got what I wanted. Value is MORE than a cheap price.

I no longer have ANY rifle that I am NOT happy with.(sorry Ingwe).

Jerry
What pal said. My five bolt guns were made between 1938 and 1962. A collector would turn up his nose at three of them as not original, but as shooters, they are far ahead of current production.

You have to sift through a lot of junk, but they are there.

Best,

Jack
700 ADL
© 24hourcampfire