Home
http://www.kimberamerica.com/montana
Nice... about the only thing they've done to the MT in recent years that's not stupid.
Did you see the other new rifles what's the differences ?
I like that. Maybe they cold try brown too...
This looks even better. Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a heavier barrel?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/open-country
And a big ass bolt knob <--- I like it. But that ---> $MSRP+P
And bottom metal on the Open Country.
Most things evolve. Some better than others.

I prefer the older originals.

donsm70
I like the green paint!
Looks like nothing but positives...

Heavier Barrel...Positive

Bottom Metal...Positive

Colors...Positive

Threaded barrels...Absolute Positive.

Move over Montana - The Subalpine - arguably the world's best production elk rifle!

Brad?
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Looks like nothing but positives...

Heavier Barrel...Positive

Bottom Metal...Positive

Colors...Positive

Threaded barrels...Absolute Positive.

I see none of these as positives. They are simply there to make the Field and Stream readers open their wallets.

Although I'm not seeing bottom metal and bbl contour changes stated.
I'm a visionary.
[Linked Image]
Bottom metal and heavier contour on the Open Country...
Open Country

7 pounds (6-15) and MSRP of $2,269.00

OUCH

Jerry
Was hoping for a 223 Hunter.
Threaded barrels are always a win, there really isnt a downside. If you dont/wont use it, they dont cause any issue. For those who do, however, the value of not having to have it threaded is immense.

Is the barrel really heavier on the Montana? Says weight is 5lb 2oz for a .308 Win.

Ahh, I see. The Open Country has a larger contour. I started drooling until I saw the MSRP. Gulp...

I like the color of the Montana. A brown would be nice too.

Edit:What's the difference between a Subalpine and a Mountain Ascent? They are both, in 308, 22" barrels with a weight of 4 13. The contour appears different and a brake vs. threaded cap. Anything else?
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Threaded barrels are always a win, there really isnt a downside. If you dont/wont use it, they dont cause any issue. For those who do, however, the value of not having to have it threaded is immense.

Yeah, I suppose you have a point.

Somehow was missing the Open Country version.

I think it's great they are expanding on their line. My kids will be delighted to see they can now buy a Minecraft version of a Kimber rifle!
I don't think I've ever seen the end of my barrel after the first tape job. Threaded barrel, who cares?

Looks like a good lineup from Kimber. They have light, done right sewn up and making a model with a heavier barrel is a good call. Looks like they are offering the Open Country in Creed only, as a LR Mule Deer/Antelope rifle probably off a bipod.
I like the green. If I were too paint a MT stock, it'd be green.
If they would just tighten the twist on the .243..........

Like the grey better . . .
Originally Posted by WTM45

Odds are better they'll come out with a 6 Creed in 8 twist. Not sure what the hang up is with tightening the twists on what is already out there, but hopefully "Creed" will give us a 6 and 22 in appropriate twists on the Montana platform.

Imagine a 22 Creed, 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, and 300wsm in Montana. One hell of a battery IMO.
I like the grey better and that'd probably be my last pick for shade of green. Would look better OD green IMO.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Odds are better they'll come out with a 6 Creed in 8 twist. Not sure what the hang up is with tightening the twists on what is already out there, but hopefully "Creed" will give us a 6 and 22 in appropriate twists on the Montana platform.

Imagine a 22 Creed, 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, and 300wsm in Montana. One hell of a battery IMO.

A 6mm Creedmoor 8" could fill my .243W fast twist desire to shoot longer and heavier pills.
Otherwise, my .308W Montana does just what I need.
Originally Posted by turkish
Was hoping for a 223 Hunter.

+ 2 👍
Loving the green!!!!!

I am thinking I'll let the .308 patrol rifle on gunbroker go one down the road and pick it up when they are available instead....

And maybe a green 300, I've got a 308 adirondack with a .30 cal brake so i can move that over when kimber restocks their muzzle adapters and then I'll run my suppressor on it...

Whuddya think??? should i go full win mag or WSM for my "Big Green Gun"?

(I have an Adirondack 18" 308, a 264 win mag in a montana 1999 action , and a kimber Montana in .338 federal as my other go to hunters)

Originally Posted by Calvin

Talked with an upper management guy at Kimber a few years back about hamstringing their 10-twist .243's. He understood the value of more rpm's but is seems that their lawyers make them stick to the 10" SAAMI standard for their .243 to avoid product liability claims. He didn't have an answer as to why Big Green can go 9.125 in their .243 tubes.
I like the green. I had a few of the mouse gray Montanas. A new color gives a guy an excuse to buy one, right? Not quite as good as a different caliber, but what the heck?
Originally Posted by 340boy
I like the green. I had a few of the mouse gray Montanas. A new color gives a guy an excuse to buy one, right? Not quite as good as a different caliber, but what the heck?

HE LIVES! Nice to see you Tim!

Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by 340boy

HE LIVES! Nice to see you Tim!

Thank you sir!! Good to see you are still about, also!
PM inbound.

It seems Kimber plays with several options.....a few years ago we had a thread about 35 Whelen chambering that someone saw. Now there is supposedly the Afognak model that sports a 16" barrel in 358 Winchester.....

Where is that 9.3x62?
Originally Posted by VernAK
It seems Kimber plays with several options.....a few years ago we had a thread about 35 Whelen chambering that someone saw. Now there is supposedly the Afognak model that sports a 16" barrel in 358 Winchester.....

Where is that 9.3x62?
I would love to see a 9.3 x 62 from Kimber. I'd have that visa card out so fast I'd throw my elbow out of joint! 😀😀
Originally Posted by VernAK

Where is that 9.3x62?

I'll believe the Afognak when I see it, they were supposed to chamber Adirondacks in .338 federal last year and that got cut from the production line even though they advertised it to stocking dealers.

but if it comes out in a mountain rifle I'll probably buy one =]
© 24hourcampfire