Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
Any thoughts? Biggest thing I can see is the barrel may be shorter than it could be.

Were they any good? I came across one that's priced at a grand.
Posted By: kfbarter Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
FN actions and Sako triggers. I think all the barrels were 22", so yes short for .264 WM. Being a Browning adds value to collectors, if it is in excellent condition, but if you're just gonna go shoot it $1000 seems pricey.

Cool looking vintage rifles for sure.

This one has gone thru three time and not sold on GB.

264 WM Browning

Kent
Posted By: hanco Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
Lot of muzzle blast.
Fireball2: I have not owned or shot one of these vintage Brownings in 264 Winchester Magnum but I do own one in 222 Remington Magnum and have had lots to do with friends similar Rifles in calibers 300 Winchester Magnum, 7m/m Remington Magnum and in 22-250 Remington.
All of these Rifles were accurate, dependable, looked great and held their value.
They are kind of rare so I am not up on their current values - wish I could be more help in that regard.
Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
Originally Posted by hanco
Lot of muzzle blast.

That's what I'm guessing with only 22". Stand one next to a .257 Weatherby and you have to squint to see much difference. .007" in diameter.
Posted By: kfbarter Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
I think the .222 would be a Sako action.

Price is all about condition on these. 95% or better condition and $1000 could be a bargain. But as a shooter they are basically just another FN based rifle with an excellent trigger, nice wood and a good barrel that happens to be at least 2 inches shorter than it should be.

Had one in '06 with no pad and I can't say I loved to shoot it. Loud and abusive (Insert exwife joke here).

Kent
Posted By: orion03 Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
Main thing to watch out for is saltwood problems.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
Originally Posted by orion03
Main thing to watch out for is saltwood problems.

Certain years, finishes, models?
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
late 67 to 71 were salt years. Not all guns in those years were salt wood guns. Look under the barreled action or test with silver nitrate. Excellent guns and very accurate. Never understood why they made the 264 with 22" barrel. I have 3 safari grades and everyone shoots great.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/11/17
Long or short extractor?
I think if it was salt wood by now you could tell with out removing the stock
Posted By: hanco Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/14/17
Salt wood just about broke Briwning
Posted By: hanco Re: Browning Safari .264 mag - 02/14/17
Weatherby had issues too
© 24hourcampfire