Home
Posted By: Reloder28 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0217

This article was quite interesting to me. I have had zero exposure to the 7x57. I have read very little on it save other's comments about it. Never intentionally read or discussed it until I read this article this morning. It impresses me now how cartridges of this caliber - pun intended - brought so much to the table from as far back as 1892.
Posted By: tomk Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
The 57mm case gets a beat down by the increased capacity & fps of the 06 case, which gets the same treatment (in print) by the magnum case--ostensibly better performance on game.

OTOH, reading old hunting literature from the round ball forward, reveals guys getting the job done, fangs or not. Wonder what they could have done with the fantastic optics that we take for granted?

On the fire, the 6mm appears to be killing stuff at quite some distance....anomaly, I imagine...:)

The 7x57 can be a lot more than a deer round.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by tomk

It is the Ultimate, Consummate Cartridge.....
At the very least...

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
The 7x57 is only as good as the person pulling the trigger.
Posted By: skeen Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Reading “Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter” and “The Man-Eaters of Kumaon” when I was a kid is the reason I own a 7x57. Of course, I've never shot anything more dangerous than a whitetail with mine smile
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by ingwe

'Tis the cartridge that says, "No, junior: let's walk down the hill, and ______ ALL the cows."

FC
Posted By: roundoak Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
The 7x57 goes quietly and effectively about its deadly business with out a whole lot of smoke and mirrors.
Posted By: 340boy Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
I keep hoping that Kimber/Sako/Winchester will start offering the 7X57 in regular production rifles. I've never owned or shot one, but would really like to. smile
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by 340boy
I keep hoping that Kimber/Sako/Winchester will start offering the 7X57 in regular production rifles. I've never owned or shot one, but would really like to. smile

Just use a .270 and squint your eyes a bit.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by 340boy

Just use a .270 and squint your eyes a bit.

laugh
I could do that, but then what would be the point of the 24hr Campfire??
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Not trying to be a wise rearend but just get a 7mm08. I have had several 7x57s but they are all gone. The 7mm08 remains here and is my favorite rifle. I don't think the 7x57 will ever be popular enough again to sell many rifles. I saw a used Win M70 Featherweight on GB last week that didn't get a $745 opening bid with no reserve. I was tempted but resisted. It hasn't been relisted so far.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
The 7x57 just works without much fuss. My first centerfire was a 93 Mauser my sporterized for me. Now my 7x57 is an Ingwe inspired Featherweight.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

True, but the same can be said about any other cartridge.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
ive had two 7x57s: ruger tang safety and a baco fwt. the ruger was the most innacurate rifle ive ever laid hands on. the fwt was an accurate MOA shooter. sold both of them on the fire some years back. havent really had any pangs of regret whatsoever ... guess im fine having a .308 and .250 sav.
Posted By: Old_Doe_Shooter Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Most Fire guys are overly-impressed with FPS, BC and the like. That's all fine but when it comes to killing critters 99.3% of game is taken under 200 yards. Some of the "stunt-shooting" is best left to the professionals. My 7x57 is a small ring, Krieger barrel, Sunnyhill bttm, nice wood and seems to be a lucky little thing cause when I pull it out something nice walks in front of it and dies. If I do my part it's close to MOA off the bench with 150-154 bullets and not overly picky. I like easy. I think not pushing the speed thing helps with accuracy too.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
I bought a Colt Light Rifle in 270 a few years back and sent it off to Melvin who reworked it into a CLR/NULA in 7x57.

I have shot from 120 gr ammo to 140 and 160 and they all shot just fine.

It is a keeper and a joy to carry and shoot.

donsm70
Posted By: orion03 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
It is, for lack of better words, a very good thing.
That was a good move. Recall talking to Forbes back at that time and he did elaborate on the difference betwixt his barrels and colts...:)

A 7x57 by Forbes can't be bad...
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by ingwe

AMEN!

I have three. A Ruger #1A, Winchester M70 push feed and a custom based on an FN Mauser action. Stock is semi-European style with schnable forearm and a more modern butt stock shape with less drop than found on European guns, especially of the prewar period. All will shoot one MOA or less. What's not to like?
Paul B.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

True, but the same can be said about any other cartridge.
Exactly.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
The 7x57 just works without much fuss. My first centerfire was a 93 Mauser my sporterized for me. Now my 7x57 is an Ingwe inspired Featherweight.

[Linked Image]

Mark,
Something like that would be perfect. cool
To me, the "7x57 vs 7-08" arguments remind me of the 6.5X55 vs the 260. Yes, they are very, very similar. Yet, to me, the old fashion "Metrics" just have a certain appeal that others do not.
YMMV.
Posted By: Otis Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]
My little Mark X Mauser in 7x57 will shoot with any of them! Changed the scope , but that's all, loves 139's anything!
good looking rifle--mannlicher w/crossbolt

Thanks Tomk, but pad says "Winchester"
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Looks like a Mark X Mauser to me.

No DSTs or butterknife bolt handles on a Winchester 70.
referring to the wood, Otis
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Not trying to be a wise rearend but just get a 7mm08. I have had several 7x57s but they are all gone. The 7mm08 remains here and is my favorite rifle. I don't think the 7x57 will ever be popular enough again to sell many rifles. I saw a used Win M70 Featherweight on GB last week that didn't get a $745 opening bid with no reserve. I was tempted but resisted. It hasn't been relisted so far.

I have both the 7X57 and the 7-08. I got a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7-08 a few years ago, with the intention of making it into my go-to deer rifle. So far, it just hasn't happened. I'm sure it's a good cartridge, and I'm sure it is all I would ever need, but so far I've not been overwhelmed by what I've seen. I have a Winchester 70 in 7X57, that I've not shot in a good many years, but all this talk about the cartridge has gotten me to thinking about dragging it out of the safe. Performance wise, I wouldn't turn around for the difference between the two, and I do have to admit to liking that short action on the 7-08. But, the 7-08 can't come close to matching the history behind the 7mm Mauser.
Posted By: RevMike Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Here's one of those Florida tigers Pappy was talking about on another thread.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
That's quite an American "warty" there Rev!
Tomk, yes the stock is a Mannlicher my favorite stock on any rifle! Yes it started life as a mark X , barrel cut to 19" and custom stock, it shoots very good!
no sights, right?

where did you snag the barrel band?
? Barrel band, are you talking about mine?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Nice piggy, Parson!

Load?

For me, the attraction of the 7 is the nifty old rifles it's often found in. Regrettably, I havent run into the right one yet. Had a decent sporterized Mauser by Flaigs of PA back in the '70s, but it was kinda clubby and went down the road. My other one was one of those Ruger Number 1s that couldn't put 3 shots in the same zip code. Gotta keep looking.
Posted By: Starman Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by Reloder28
It impresses me now how cartridges of this caliber - pun intended - brought so much to the table from as far back as 1892.

WDM Bell and Jim Corbett sure helped put 7x57 in lights, but Im Inclined to think more game has been brought down with
the .270win than 7x57. The more widespread affordability and availability of rifles in .27Owin since 1925 being one major factor.

The substantially more affordable M70 did the same for .375H&H sales (vs) having to purchase a premium bespoke
British magnum mauser.

About Jim Corbett and his Rigby .275 bore,
- he was given it as a gift after killing the Champawat tigress in 1907, for which he used a .500cal.
Corbett then in 1909 obtained a Jeffery .450/400 SxS ,being the rifle he actually used for the vast majority of his cat kills.
A gun later owned by Elmer Keith.

More interesting than Corbett (re: to .275 bore and big cats ) but relatively unknown, are the Sikh officer father and son
WDM Bell mentions in his writings....With one .275 bore rifle, they collected 90 bounty lions.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
We like to tell the stories of Bell and Corbett, and their use of the 7X57 (275 Rigby), and they're good stories. Back in the early 1900's, there was an American missionary in China who was slaying man eating tigers over there with a 22 Savage High Power. Harry R. Caldwell was his name, and he wrote about his experiences, with one book being "Blue Tiger". Caldwell liked the Savage 99's, and also used the 250-3000 and the 303 Savage cartridges.
Posted By: tomk Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
yes Otis--was interested in the band on front of the stock

James--thanks for the book tip on Caldwell
Posted By: RevMike Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
Nice piggy, Parson!

Load?

For me, the attraction of the 7 is the nifty old rifles it's often found in. Regrettably, I havent run into the right one yet. Had a decent sporterized Mauser by Flaigs of PA back in the '70s, but it was kinda clubby and went down the road. My other one was one of those Ruger Number 1s that couldn't put 3 shots in the same zip code. Gotta keep looking.

That's the Ingwe Special and I was using/experimenting with a factory load, the Prvi Grom, loaded with their 158 grain bullet at (factory specs) 2461 fps. It's mostly a copper bullet with a very thin lead core. Below right is a picture of a bullet I fired into a stack of dry newspaper (Mule Deer's preferred test medium). The one on the left was a Hornady 139 grain Interlock fired into the same stack. Big difference.

Anyway, the pig took two shots to drop. I pulled the first shot, and the pig made his way into the palmetto thicket out of which you can see the drag marks. The second shot went just behind his ear.

I never got an accurate weight since, on the camp cleaning rack, he was too long to lift completely off the ground; but with his head and shoulder still on the ground, the scale registered over 280 pounds. So he probably weighed a touch over 300.

Notice one thing about him though: he'd been cut. Several years ago, the rancher trapped a bunch of piglets, cut them, then let them go. Another rancher on the other side of the highway is always doing the same thing, so I don't know if this pig was one of the original group or one that migrated from the other property, but seeing that he was cut, he went to the game processor. He is one of six or eight cut pigs I've taken in the past few years, three or four of which have come in at about the same size. When they don't have anything to do but eat, sleep, and hide, they can really get big. Cut or not, though, as far as the table is concerned, I'd still rather have something in the 50-75 pound range.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
That's quite an American "warty" there Rev!

Thanks. Those special glasses Pappy was talking about - you know, the ones that put stripes on everything I see - are hanging around my neck.
Posted By: Otis Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
Nice one Rev bullet comparison too! I'm shooting the SST 139 gr. they seem to hold together better than the Interlocks!
Posted By: verhoositz Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
Having backed into a M70 USRAC XTR Fwt 7x57 last month in a trade, this thread is very timely & interesting. I am a life long 270 & 300Wmg shooter, with my 1st 270 in about 1969 & the Wmg about 10 years later.

Some years back I was interested, but not enough to find out why, when the largest volume independent Gun Dealer in Texas, Carters Country in Houston, bought enough Remmy Model 7's in 7-08's, instead of the usual 243's, to use as loaners for his Recoil Shy guests to use at his various Hunting Ranch's shortly after they were intoduced, and wrote it off to Remmy offering Mr Carter a promo deal... and have ignored the small sized 7mm's pretty much since then until recently.

Gonna be a fun learning curve to get into the lower MV 7mm's but I can definitely see the advantages of the old Mauser or it's modern cousin vs the 6.5 Swede /260's I started using about 10 year ago as a sop to my age and state of grace.
Ron
Tomk I don't know as I traded for the gun from a gunsmith in DeQueen AR! I've only owned it for about 4-5 years! Someone did a great job though!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
I bought three boxes of .30/06 GROM for my Sako FN a couple of years back. Never popped anything with them; actually, that rifle has yet to be bloodied, in my hands anyway. That test bullet is impressive, especially at about $16 a box for the ammo!

You shoot a lot of hogs. What do you do with the big old stinkers that aren't suitable for consumption?
I bought three boxes of .30/06 GROM for my Sako FN a couple of years back. Never popped anything with them; actually, that rifle has yet to be bloodied, in my hands anyway. That test bullet is impressive, especially at about $16 a box for the ammo!

You shoot a lot of hogs. What do you do with the big old stinkers that aren't suitable for consumption?

I've used that ammo on several pigs, and with the exception of the one in the picture, they've all been one shot, DRT. And I have yet to recover a single bullet. Even at that low velocity, they've all been pass-throughs. Granted, with the exception of one kill, they've all been shot at far less than 100 yards, but the Grom loads have still performed very well. I suppose they're a sort of poor man's Barnes. I've been thinking about pulling the bullets from a box to see how they perform at around 2700 fps, but in all honesty, except for a difference in trajectory, I doubt I'll see any difference at all. They just work the way they are. And like you said, at about $17 per box (for the 7x57), they're really hard to beat. An added bonus is that the brass lasts a long time. It's a win/win.

As for the big boars, I normally just let them go. I know it's bad conservation, since Florida is second only to Texas in having a feral pig problem, but here's the way I look at it. 1) They're breeders. Again, poor varmint control on my part, but they keep us supplied with this 50-75 pounders that I do like to eat. 2) Frankly, they're just too hard to handle (loading, cleaning, etc.). 3)We often have guests out on the property, many of which don't get to hunt very often, so those big boars often wind up being their trophies (they make nice shoulder mounts). 4) This one is important to me: You should see the eyes of a kid when he/she drops a big old boar that easily outweighs them by 250 pounds. That makes for some serious class-room talk on Monday morning, especially with pictures.

So, as I said, I generally just let them walk. I figure that someone will eventually harvest them, not to mention that the fellow who runs the cattle will drop them on sight, regardless of size.

Of the 30+ my BIL and I generally take each year, the vast majority are under 100 pounds, so they all get used (eaten), either by us or by folks we sometimes give the meat to. Considering that in some parts of the country, guns get cleaned and put away at the end of hunting season, having access to these critters 24/7/365 ain't all that bad.

Originally Posted by Otis
Nice one Rev bullet comparison too! I'm shooting the SST 139 gr. they seem to hold together better than the Interlocks!

I haven't loaded the SST, but the Interlocks seem to do well on game. Maybe it just wasn't up to the test medium - tightly packed dry newspaper. I have that bullet in front of me right now and you can still see pieces of the paper in it. That inexpensive Prvi Grom came out exactly as you see it in the picture.
Posted By: captdavid Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
Have you tried the ones you call stinky? I'll admit my experience on over 200lbrs is limited, only 4, some have smelled pretty bad. Even those tasted OK. You might try one. I think you and I pretty much are old school. If I shoot it I eat it. Exclusive of coyote and crows, of course. I'll never understand those that intentionally gut shoot one, only to let it die a miserable death. You might try splitting the differences. Try just skinning one ham and both backstraps. Give them a try. You might be surprised. If they're awful give them to your dog or an annoying neighbor. smile Captdavid
Posted By: mart Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
One interesting summation of the 7x57 was made by, I believe, Pete Brown of Sports Afield in an article I recall reading as a kid. He described it at being "like a boat that was 40 feet on the outside and 80 feet on the inside."

That quote stuck with me all these years. He also did an article on the 300 and 375 H&H and started me down the road toward my fondness for the old 300.
Posted By: captdavid Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
I believe the H&H one was in Gun Digest. Captdavid
ok, thanks Otis

the 7x57 and 300 H&H would make a nice pair of big game rifles...a little redundant...:)
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
ok, thanks Otis

the 7x57 and 300 H&H would make a nice pair of big game rifles...a little redundant...:)

Stay all metric;

7x57 and 9.3x62 in matching Mark X Mannlichers.
may have that covered...but in Grrman actions...:)
My Husqvarna 46 is my 9.3x62
Originally Posted by captdavid
I believe the H&H one was in Gun Digest. Captdavid

The one I recall was from Sports Afield. Sports Afield, Outdoor Life and Fur-Fish Game were the only magazines I got back then.
ok, thanks Otis

No more redundant than some the collections I've seen on this forum. That's what makes us looneys.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
I thought that possibly you might send them to the protein plant as fertilizer. I heard a podcast recently that featured a Texas hog trapper that sends hundreds to a processor that sells the meat overseas because it's not legal to sell commercially here.

Given their reproduction rate, I doubt that anything your club could do would affect the overall problem to any degree. Don't look for any moralizing on your pig popping practices from this quarter.😜

Have you by any chance watched any driven boar shooting videos on YouTube? Those guys can shoot! Well worth watching, but prepare to feel like a dub after watching those boys sling lead at boars on the scoot. The Aimpoint videos are probably the best.
Posted By: EdM Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/17/17
My favorite of two I own is this Swede based one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My youngest has all but confiscated my other, a Walther Model B Mauser.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Starman Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/18/17
In its British guise the 7x57mm Mauser was known as the .275 Rigby, and in the hands of some talented hunters like W.D.M. Bell and Col. Jim Corbett,
the cartridge would go on to inspire the world in the classic hunting tales like “Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter” and “The Man-Eaters of Kumaon.

Interesting that people have been so inspired by Bells .275 bore but not much his great exploits with his .256 Mannlicher
which he also credits in his book.

"For years after that I continued to use the -275 and the -256 in all kinds of country
and for all kinds of game."
-Bell (page 6.)

"I was using at that time a very light and sweet- working Mann.-Sch. carbine, -256 bore and weighing only 5\ lb.
With this tiny and beautiful little weapon I had extraordinary luck, and I should have continued to use it in preference
to my other rifles had not its Austrian ammunition developed the serious fault of splitting at the neck. After that discovery
I reverted to my well-tried and always trusty 7 mm. Mauser."
- Bell , (page 94.)

His favored rifle above all his other weapons, was satisfied with its bullet performance on everything from elephant down,
(killed 300 odd bulls with it)....but all people ever seem to associate will Bell is the .275 bore.

The thing that Bell notes most about .275 is the reliability of DWM ammunition, he certainly doesn't put the Rigby rifle
or .275 performance on game above that of his Daniel Fraser .256 Mannlicher carbine.

All the more strange is that when some people see Bells own Rigby .275 bore rifle they make out like its the holy grail, and some
will say things like "If only that rifle could talk" - yet that 1923 purchase rifle people are seeing hasn't kill a pile of elephant, since
Mr. Bells elephant hunting career was over by then. It is merely one of six(6) Rigby .275 bores he owned at one time or another.
However, the .256 bore workhorse rifle that did kill 300 bulls,lions,cape buff etc, and that still exist today and that can be viewed
in photos just the same, really even rates a passing mention when the subject of Bell is discussed.
Posted By: RevMike Re: 7x57 Mauser - 02/20/17
I thought that possibly you might send them to the protein plant as fertilizer. I heard a podcast recently that featured a Texas hog trapper that sends hundreds to a processor that sells the meat overseas because it's not legal to sell commercially here.

Given their reproduction rate, I doubt that anything your club could do would affect the overall problem to any degree. Don't look for any moralizing on your pig popping practices from this quarter.😜

Have you by any chance watched any driven boar shooting videos on YouTube? Those guys can shoot! Well worth watching, but prepare to feel like a dub after watching those boys sling lead at boars on the scoot. The Aimpoint videos are probably the best.

No, there isn't much we can do to slow them down. I was reading somewhere that about 70% of the annual yield (piglets) would have to be culled just to stay even. I don't know how accurate that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That fellow you're talking about - shooting the Merkel Helix - is incredible. When my BIL bought his Aimpoint he got a year's subscription and could watch the videos for free - Wild Boar Fever, I think they're called. Those boys can shoot! There was also an episode where they had an interactive range where live-fire hits on a huge video screen are registered. That would be a lot of fun to try.

It's too bad we can't give the meat from the pigs to the local homeless shelters, but the Health Department won't let it pass through the doors unless it's processed through an approved processing facility. I think we have two in the entire state. That's a shame: there is a lot of meat running around that could be used. Oh well; the government always knows best, right? frown
I always enjoy seeing those pictures, Ed. You son did an outstanding job harvesting those critters with that outstanding rifle.
Originally Posted by captdavid
Have you tried the ones you call stinky? I'll admit my experience on over 200lbrs is limited, only 4, some have smelled pretty bad. Even those tasted OK. You might try one. I think you and I pretty much are old school. If I shoot it I eat it. Exclusive of coyote and crows, of course. I'll never understand those that intentionally gut shoot one, only to let it die a miserable death. You might try splitting the differences. Try just skinning one ham and both backstraps. Give them a try. You might be surprised. If they're awful give them to your dog or an annoying neighbor. smile Captdavid

A lot of the time the stink is from either peeing themselves when shot (or soon afterward) or rolling in wallows where they've been peeing. I've eaten the meat from some big boars as well, but I find those less than 100 pounds are just a lot milder, as well as a little more tender. In a big batch of BBQ, though, I don't think anyone could really tell the difference. I've had deer that has been tougher and tasted worse that the backstraps of a really big boar.
Posted By: Savuti Re: 7x57 Mauser - 03/02/17

Beesties are not fond of the 7.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nor Kudu.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire