Home
Posted By: SCGunNut Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
I’ve had a BLR in .358 Win for close to 30 years but had always had a hankering for a Ruger 77 RS Carbine so chambered. I handled one at a gun show years ago and was smitten. One of my regular customers in the gun shop has a pretty extensive Ruger collection and had talked about thinning the herd. One day I asked him if he happened to have a short barreled .358 with sights, not really expecting him to. He said “I’ve got one new in the box.” So the seed was planted. It took me awhile to squirrel away the funds but yesterday I signed the adoption papers. It will no longer be a safe queen….

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A very unappreciated caliber....congrats on the snag.

Doc
Outstanding score!
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
Congrats! I have an M77 All Weather but, I didn't realize that Ruger had made one in a carbine. Nice rifle and great looking wood.
NICE!
I've been wanting a 358 to hunt in the thick stuff for a while now. My plan right now is to pick up a 308 Kimber Montana,chop it to 20" and have JES bore it to 358 Win.
Wow, didn't even know they existed! What length is barrel?

Really need to put some irons on my Frontier!
Great looking rig. The NECG banded front sights are an easy DIY home addition which adds greatly to the practicality of a rifle. I don't know of if they still do, but brownells used to sell the ruger banded front sights in stainless and blued as well.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
A very unappreciated caliber....congrats on the snag.

Doc

Very unappreciated!!
Nice!!

Steve
Posted By: beretzs Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
Cool score. Neat rifle.
Posted By: Brad Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
The M77 RS 358 Carbine was a limited run of 500 in the late 80's. I got mine in 1990... second from top:

[Linked Image]
Wow. I didn't know Ruger ever offered this package. I've often thought they should offer a .358 Win and .338 Fed in that configuration. What's the barrel length? It looks a little shorter than typical.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
They're typically listed as 18 1/2" but it measures 19".
They're twisted 1/14 whereas the newer Hawkeyes are 1/12.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
I had a couple of 358's and they both were very accurate.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
I bought one NIB when I was stationed in FT Hood, TX in the early 90s. The gun shop had 2 or 3 of them if I remember correctly. I used it in PENN for a year or two and never shot anything with it and eventually sold it to get something better. I would love to own another, but not at the prices they are selling for on the internet.
GOLD!!!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/18/17
The only thing that would make it better would be if it was the REALLY rare "RLS" versions with the black forend tip, but I guess I can live with it as it is....
Indeed. I had Karnis add a hunk of ebony to the forend of my hawkeye .358 and I bobbed the barrel a bit. It's a good looking rig now.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/19/17
A buddy of mine on the Fire here has one with a black recoil pad, he claims only a handful of the black recoil pads were made, something like 87.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/19/17
They were supposed to be in RSI stock's,but they cracked.Put regular stock's on'em and dumped them to Lipsey's.Had 3 nib and dumped 'em.
Originally Posted by sqweeler
They were supposed to be in RSI stock's,but they cracked.Put regular stock's on'em and dumped them to Lipsey's.Had 3 nib and dumped 'em.

Some of the tang safety 77 RSIs in 358 that were restocked and sold in the 77 RLS format got away out of Ruger in the 77 RSI format and WBR had some made up in the 77 RSI format for his friends at Blue Mountain.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/19/17
I vividly remember the .358 RSI being advertised in a Jerry's Sports flyer back in the day.
Posted By: Brad Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/19/17
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I vividly remember the .358 RSI being advertised in a Jerry's Sports flyer back in the day.

Might have been advertised, but definitely never appeared.
Great snag!! Safety right where it needs to be
That is a sweet looking rifle!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 02/20/17
That's a nice looking rig!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 07/26/17
Finally got this one set up and ready for the woods. I had sent an old Var-X III 1.5-5x20 back to Leupold to have the reticle changed from standard Duplex to Post & Duplex. They told me it was too old to swap the reticle, but long story short, they built me a brand new gloss VX-3i with the Post & Duplex in the custom shop. It finally came in last week. I couldn't be happier with the set-up. It handles as good as it looks...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow, that's a beauty! Looks like it would handle like a dream.
How old was the scope you sent in? Is that a Browning Six Mile Sling on it?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 07/26/17
mines set up the same way. excellent little guns and very accurate with the hornady factory loads.
Am I the only one who thinks Ruger should have a Custom Shop?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Wow, that's a beauty! Looks like it would handle like a dream.
How old was the scope you sent in? Is that a Browning Six Mile Sling on it?

The scope was pre-1974, don't know exactly what year. The sling was made by a friend/customer of mine who makes all sorts of leather goods. I like the old school leather slings with the slide that allows them to be cinched up tight, or loosened without fooling with buckles. He copied an old one I gave him as a pattern and has made several others for me and friends who have seen mine.
I'd have to get lower rings, that scope is too high for me.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 07/26/17
A few years ago, I was lucky to find an M77 Hawkeye all weather in a 358 Win. Love the rifle, it's accuracy and how it handles. But, it is not nearly as classy as your rig. Beautiful rifle with great looking wood. Congrats!
FWIW for those of you who like the 358.

https://www.gricegunshop.com/rug47167-ruger-hawkeye-358-win-22-walnut-basketweave-stock.html
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Those are low Ruger rings, don't know how I'd get it any lower....
I've got a 22'' tanger that I dont think has ever been fired. Have the velvet bag for the rings and all paperwork. I'm about to PCS overseas and thinking of selling it. It is pretty much brand spankin new. When I look at the bolt face, I dont think its ever been fired. I used to have the box and plastic sheath it came it, but the last time I was overseas my dad threw away the box... "we dont keep rifle boxes." I told him that he threw away a $100 bill for me.

Anyway, what do you guys think it would be worth?
Posted By: DMc Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 07/26/17
One of my favorite calibers! Used to tinker with tons of 308 brass reformed to 358. For a bucket load of fun, load up some plinker rounds using 158 grn. 357 jacketed hollow points running at 2000 fps. Be sure to crimp into the pistol bullet cannelure firmly. Most fun rifle plinking I ever had. Like shooting mini hand grenades.

DMc : )
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Those are low Ruger rings, don't know how I'd get it any lower....

Leupold
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Oh you're just EVIL eek
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Oh you're just EVIL eek

No [bleep].

I'd love to have one with the upgraded wood. Luckily I'm broke and already have a 358 All Weather Hawkeye. As Meatloaf said two out of three ain't bad crazy
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Oh you're just EVIL eek

No [bleep].

I'd love to have one with the upgraded wood. Luckily I'm broke and already have a 358 All Weather Hawkeye. As Meatloaf said two out of three ain't bad crazy

Same here. Also broke but have a 1979 BLR in .358.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 07/30/17
I'd love a #1RSI in 358. Blue and walnut with a gloss 2-7 leupy
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'd love a #1RSI in 358. Blue and walnut with a gloss 2-7 leupy

That looks like an easy job for JES.
Posted By: 35 Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 07/30/17
Here`s a 308 in stainless ready for a rebore.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/view/_961088684.aspx
I love the 358 Win cartridge but I've only had Winchester Model 70 FWTs in that caliber. The darned steel-butted things kicked hard w/o a recoil pad... biting my cheekbone and my shoulder. I'm curious to know whether the Ruger 77s in that caliber have a better stock design or are fitted with a good recoil pad.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Ruger 77 Carbine .358 Win - 08/01/17
LCHunter1, I've not had an opportunity to shoot the older tang safety 77's but, my newer M77 Hawkeye all weather model has a decent synthetic stock with a good recoil pad. While you will feel the recoil, it is not unpleasant to shoot even off a bench and I have never had a problem with cheek bite. In my most accurate hand load, I use 225 grain NP's over a stout load of TAC. I'm sure the 250 grain loads would kick a bit more.
Thanks Biggs300. I've been considering (cautiously) re-barreling a Rem Mod 7 in 358 Win. Would need a premier recoil pad at least. I have one in 308 Win and it shoots just fine with its pad so may go ahead after this coming elk season.
© 24hourcampfire