Home
Posted By: MadMooner Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/26/17
What changes were made? Any reason to seek one instead of the other?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/26/17
Steel recoil lug, metal bolt shroud, wider ejection port, modular stock.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/26/17
The lug and shroud are available from Beretta or aftermarket. The port is a non issue and the modular stock is non essential. But you cant go wrong with either model at the right price.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/26/17
Gotcha.

What was the original lug made from? Aluminum?
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/26/17
On the T3x, what is the shortest length of pull.
Posted By: Konnari Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
A new and better recoil pad plus everything Jordan said. P.s, the old recoil lug is aluminium.
Posted By: SD65 Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17

For $250 less, I feel the T3 to be a better value.

SD
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
I ordered a T3x bolt shroud and put it on my T3 SL, its a nice piece, I like it better than the Mtn Tactical. Guess its a "faux T3x" now:)
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
One thing to look at is the new checkering pattern on the wood and synthetic stocked models. I have a synthetic stocked T3 SS Lite and a new T3x Hunter with a wood stock. I don’t know if they changed the profile of the pistol grip that much, to me it seems like they did, but I much prefer the new checkering pattern on the T3x, it feels more secure and “grabby’. The feel of the new stock alone was what made me choose a T3x even with the great closeout deals on the T3. I don’t know how important that is to you but it might be worth your while to compare the two if you have a chance.

Most folks are charging in the $800’s for the new models but more than one on line dealer is charging in the lower $700’s so it pays to look around.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
The price increase is the biggest change I can see.

I just bought a T3 Hunter in 222 for $499 that I suspect will be just as accurate as the new model.

You can buy a lot of do-dads with $300.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
As a Tikka outsider, I think the new one looks better. I still wish they'd either offer a blind mag version, or a flush-fit mag.

I came pretty near buying one last week, but got snared by another falling block single-shot. That bug is hard to shake.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
As a Tikka outsider, I think the new one looks better.

I'm also a Tikka outsider but I can tell you, I wouldn't have bought either model based on looks. I'm simply a sucker for accurate wood stocked 222's so for $500 I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about.

Haven't even shot it yet but I doubt that I'll be disappointed.

I'm also a incurable tinkerer but if I decide to keep it I might change the recoil lug but other than that I ain't spending one thin dime on it. It'll have to sink or swim on it's own.
I doubt you would see any difference in accuracy between the T3 and T3x, both should please you equally in that department.

I go back and forth on building up to what I want and just thinking it’s not worth the effort when you can buy a Tikka, take it out of the box and it will shoot right alongside custom trued/rebarreled/restocked rifles that cost 3 or 4 times more. And that’s not hyperbole. Some of my custom sporters (not heavy barreled stuff) can shoot in the .2’s with good loads but so can my Tikka .223 T3 Lite which hasn’t had a thing done to it except turning the trigger screw to lower the pull weight. What’s a real pisser is that some of my custom reworked sporters won’t shoot as accurately as the box stock Tikkas.
Posted By: Mtngroan Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by KenMi
The lug and shroud are available from Beretta or aftermarket. The port is a non issue and the modular stock is non essential. But you cant go wrong with either model at the right price.

What do they charge for these?
Thanks
Whatever Beretta charges it will be about three times higher than anyone else. You can buy a steel replacement from Talley for $20, probably other folks as well. Whatever you look at make sure it's steel, Brownell's sells a replacement but it's aluminum. They may offer a steel one but a quick search didn't find it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I doubt you would see any difference in accuracy between the T3 and T3x, both should please you equally in that department.

I go back and forth on building up to what I want and just thinking it’s not worth the effort when you can buy a Tikka, take it out of the box and it will shoot right alongside custom trued/rebarreled/restocked rifles that cost 3 or 4 times more. And that’s not hyperbole. Some of my custom sporters (not heavy barreled stuff) can shoot in the .2’s with good loads but so can my Tikka .223 T3 Lite which hasn’t had a thing done to it except turning the trigger screw to lower the pull weight. What’s a real pisser is that some of my custom reworked sporters won’t shoot as accurately as the box stock Tikkas.

I went to the range yesterday for load development for my ss T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. I brought my new-to-me ss T3 1-8" .223 to try a few loads using Nosler's new 70 gr RDF over a max charge of TAC. I bought this rifle back in September from a guy here on the 'fire.

Three shots might not tell some people much, but I saw all I needed.

[Linked Image]

That's 0.103" if anyone was wondering. Stock T3.

P
Geez, now you're just showing off.. wink

Agreed.....I think you could say the same thing about CZ's. Adjust the trigger, clean the used wheel grease they use for packing out of the barrel, and go to work.

I do think that everyone should experience the joy of a custom barrel at least once in their lifetimes too though but you shouldn't have to spend a ton of money to get acceptable accuracy out of a factory rifle.

I've talked about it before but I have a Remington SPS 223 I bought for $369 + a $50 rebate that I had my gunsmith true and recrown/rechamber to 222 ($175), pillar bedded in a Boyds Classic ADL stock ($90 back then) and installed an old school Walker trigger I had on hand.
This new Tikka's gonna have a hard time keeping up with it but even after doing a lot of the work myself and selling the craputrigger, stock, and BDL bottom metal I still have more in the Remington than the Tikka. Not much more, but more none the less.

I'll be happy if the Tikka shoots half that well but I suspect it'll do better than that.

[Linked Image]

Here's both rifles, they both look pretty good as far as I can tell.

[Linked Image]

Anywayyyyy......just my story/2 cents.....sorry for the hi-jack MM....
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I just bought a T3 Hunter in 222 for $499 that I suspect will be just as accurate as the new model.

I just purchased a NIB T3x Lite, stainless steel in 7mm Rem Mag for $569. I was about to buy a used Hunter on this site but backed out. Made the "mistake" of surfing around on Whittaker's and found the T3x. I could not turn it down.

I took it out a few days back and was quite pleased. I don't really like to shoot a 5 shot group with a lightweight rifle but I did it anyway. Had a pretty good 3 shot group going but the last 2 shots took off a little. This was shot with factory Remington Express Cor-Lokt in 150 grains.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
Nice! And a great deal for a stainless T3x...........Enjoy!....Hb
Posted By: cdb Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
The port is a non issue.

The port is an issue to me. I can't stand tiny ejection ports.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by cdb
The port is a non issue.

I can't stand tiny ejection ports.

thats what she said
One thing to look at is the new checkering pattern on the wood and synthetic stocked models. I have a synthetic stocked T3 SS Lite and a new T3x Hunter with a wood stock. I don’t know if they changed the profile of the pistol grip that much, to me it seems like they did, but I much prefer the new checkering pattern on the T3x, it feels more secure and “grabby’. The feel of the new stock alone was what made me choose a T3x even with the great closeout deals on the T3. I don’t know how important that is to you but it might be worth your while to compare the two if you have a chance.

Most folks are charging in the $800’s for the new models but more than one on line dealer is charging in the lower $700’s so it pays to look around.

From the few pics I've seen, the checkering and the wood looks like an upgrade. I really like the stainless hunter with the fluted barrel.
Posted By: tomt53 Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
The T3x does not come with scope rings.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I just purchased a NIB T3x Lite, stainless steel in 7mm Rem Mag for $569.

How much was is the T3x Hunter model in the same chambering?
Posted By: cdb Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by tomt53

Tikka factory rings leave me seriously underwhelmed.
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by tomt53

Tikka factory rings leave me seriously underwhelmed.

They leave a lot to be desired but they'll probably hold for a 222's recoil.

I keep hearing about replacement screws for them.
Anyone know where you can actually get your hands on some.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/28/17
Any hardware or machine supply store that sells small machine screws should have some suitable replacement. I agree that the rings are underwhelming, Tikka probably dropped them from the T3x for the same reason S&W went away from wood stocks - the first thing people do is get a different set.

But that said, I have the factory rings with factory screws on a T3 .223 with zero complaints. They do exactly what scope rings are supposed to do, they hold the scope securely in place.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/28/17
Yep, the checkering on the X is much better, I much prefer it over the T3...........Hb
Posted By: STS45 Re: Tikka T3 vs Tikka T3x - 02/28/17
I have both. I prefer the new stock just because of the checkering. That said, you can get NIB T3's for dirt cheap right now and I would highly suggest doing that and saving $300. I just got a NIB T3 Lite Stainless 223 off gunbroker for $499. I picked up a NIB T3 Lite Stainless 7mm-08 from Whittakers for $450.

You can easily stipple the stock with a soldering iron and upgrade the other things if you want.
© 24hourcampfire