Home
Anyone have one of these in any caliber? Shooter? function good?
I've got one in the much disparaged .270 caliber and it shoots sub MOA for me with Hornady factory ammo. Action is smooth and the trigger is fair without any adjustments so far!
I have one in 300 WSM, the most accurate rifle I own. I tweaked the trigger using an Ernies spring, and it's excellent. I swapped the bottom metal out to PT&G, and I'm going to drop it in Bansner stock to lighten it bit.
I have on in 30-06 and Im thinking of getting another in 7mm RM.

Ive taken 3 moose with mine and it would be one of the last rifles I ever get rid of. I find mine to be sub MOA with lots of different ammo, trigger is good.

Its not light but not heavy either. For moose hunting I find it to be perfect. You might also check out the Montana X2.
I have one in .270 as well, easily one of my favorites in my safe. I about sold it because I hated the B&C club they called a stock. I replaced it with a M70 FWT McMillan stock in edge fill and never looked back. Shoots sub MOA with most ammunition i feed it.

All up 5 rounds 130 grain ammo.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Comparison of B&C stock to McMillan hunter stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some pretty nice guns.
Mine is in 308. I bought it used 8-9 years ago. I didn't care much for the factory stock, but you could do a lot worse. This Edge stock showed up used in the classifieds and I bought it. It was about 8 lbs scoped in factory form. It is 7 1/4 lbs in this photo. I've since changed scopes and it is a couple oz heavier now.

The rifle has become my go-to rifle. I've tried everything from 130 TTSX's in it up to 178 ELDX's and it consistently shoots at or under 1 MOA. Quite often better.

[Linked Image]

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...25/WINCHESTER_EXTREME_30-06#Post11892425
I own a couple in 308 Win. Both are exceptionally accurate.
Originally Posted by Brad
I have one in 300 WSM, the most accurate rifle I own. I tweaked the trigger using an Ernies spring, and it's excellent. I swapped the bottom metal out to PT&G, and I'm going to drop it in Bansner stock to lighten it bit.

Yeah.... I kind of screwed up on this one I think!
I am going to get a SS synthetic 308 to take to Alaska for the next 6 months and this is on my short list.
i have one in 308 win. took several deer and an elk in 2017. rifle is dependable, accurate, and well made.

Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I am going to get a SS synthetic 308 to take to Alaska for the next 6 months and this is on my short list.

Deer season is "only" 5 months long. Suppose that gives you a month to do some fishing. wink
I posted this on another site in a similar thread.

My latest two of several FN M70's were both Portuguese .308 Extreme Weathers. Neither would hold a respectable group with any of several types of bullets. One was returned for the other, and then the second was returned for a refund, so the customer service was pretty good. That said I really don't know if my issues were caused by slipping standards for the Portuguese guns, a bad batch of .308 EW barrels, or even just two rare lemons coinciding at just the right time. That's the problem with small sample sizes. I will say that the ultralight B&C stock that is shipping on the current EWs is much more shapely and lighter than the older B&C stock that came on my previous SC built EW, a definite improvement..

All of that said, i've had good luck with an earlier M70 EW, an M70 Ultimate Shadow SS, and a TSR. I'm sure I'll have another M70 at some point, there are two lightly used EW's on GB with start prices at $750 that sure are tempting.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Deer season is "only" 5 months long. Suppose that gives you a month to do some fishing. wink

Working out of Bettles through October.
I have one in a 325 wsm that's all I use in Alaska..
They are a nice handling factory rifle, IMO. It could do with a little lighter stock, but it ain't bad. Mine started out as a .308. I couldn't get it to shoot anything over 150grns well. So now it's off to Redneck getting turned into a 7X57.
I have this one in 308 Win that I dropped in a McMillan Edge sans checkering. I haven't loaded anything that it doesn't like as long as I use Varget grin
[Linked Image]
That looks great!
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Working out of Bettles through October.

So we aren't going to see you at Quemado this summer?
I have 3, all BACO's, a 7 WSM, 270 WSM and a 7/08. The 7 WSM shoots a little over an inch with HSM 168 Bergers, the 270 WSM shoots bugholes with Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130's and the 7/08 is still NIB. I really like these EW's.
Anyone know what's up with the lack of availability of these rifles? I've been searching online a few times each year for the past few years and none of the big retailers seem to carry these. I've read others saying they have a hard time finding them too. Anyone know why they're so hard to find?
My LGS looked for almost a year for a .300 Win Mag. The only ones he could get were two chambered for the .264 Win Mag, a cartridge that I have never been able to get myself to like.
257Deland: That's a good looking rifle !
Which style McMillan Edge is this one ?
Thank you
Originally Posted by elelbean
Anyone know what's up with the lack of availability of these rifles? I've been searching online a few times each year for the past few years and none of the big retailers seem to carry these. I've read others saying they have a hard time finding them too. Anyone know why they're so hard to find?

Elelbean: any interest in a very lightly used EW IN 270?
Tons of them on gunbroker. No shortage of them there. My dad just got one recently.
Good friend of mine has one in 270. It works perfect and shoots lights out. The bore in these appears rough with a lot of tool marks if you get the chance to scope one, but again, it shoots great and really doesn't seem to foul much. Probably the best buy in a factory out of the box accurate rifle I have seen in a while.
I got inspired and just ordered a new 30-06. My dad loves the one I have so much that I figured he should keep it and Ill get a new one.

paid 1030.00 shipped.
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I will say that the ultralight B&C stock that is shipping on the current EWs is much more shapely and lighter than the older B&C stock that came on my previous SC built EW, a definite improvement..
Good info here...I was not aware of a stock change on the EW's.....if this is true it would be a huge improvement over the club 2x4 POS that were calling a stock in the old models....this is a gamechanger for Me, I now have new interest in these rifles as the original stock was always a dealbreaker for Me.......Hb
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I will say that the ultralight B&C stock that is shipping on the current EWs is much more shapely and lighter than the older B&C stock that came on my previous SC built EW, a definite improvement..
Good info here...I was not aware of a stock change on the EW's.....if this is true it would be a huge improvement over the club 2x4 POS that were calling a stock in the old models....this is a gamechanger for Me, I now have new interest in these rifles as the original stock was always a dealbreaker for Me.......Hb

When my new one gets here, Ill put some side by side photos with a new and an old one.
I have one in 270. I ditched the B&C stock in favor of a McMillan Sako Hunter. It's the most accurate sporter weight barreled rifle I own.

I've shot several 1/4" 3 shot groups with it using 140 Bergers over 4831.
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I have one in 270. I ditched the B&C stock in favor of a McMillan Sako Hunter. It's the most accurate sporter weight barreled rifle I own.

I've shot several 1/4" 3 shot groups with it using 140 Bergers over 4831.

Im considering getting a mccmilan stock for my new one, Im trying to cut the collection down to 3-4 guns when Im out in the sticks and the new 70ew is going to be one of them.
I've been playing around with 178 ELD-X's in mine. Shot this group at 200 yards Friday.

I have other rifles, but since putting the Edge stock on the EW it is the only rifle I've hunted with.

[Linked Image]

That's not too hard to take at all.
I ended up ordering a Tikka laminated stainless since there were so many negative comments about the stock on this rifle. Maybe when I get back I will re-visit this.
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

When my new one gets here, Ill put some side by side photos with a new and an old one.
Excellent! That would be outstanding.....Thanks .....Hb
Bringing this 7 month old thread back to life.

Curious how people are fairing with EWs in 7mm-08?

I'm on my second one, first one was SC made and wouldn't group. Replacement is Portuguese and I agree with others that the stock is slimmed down on the newer ones. This one shoots better than the first but I still haven't found anything that it really likes.
I have one, it shoots everything great
Originally Posted by Travis13
I have one, it shoots everything great

Any factory ammo that stands out?
I have had a SC version in 300WSM for somewhere around five years. I could not like the 2x4 Bell and Carlson suplied for the stock so I put it in a take off walnut featherweight stock. I like i a lot more now days.
Mine likes the cheap hornady whitetail better than anything I’ve tried, including some hand loads. After limited experimenting, I’ve all but counted out big game. On to varget next, after deer season
Originally Posted by BATSCH30
Mine likes the cheap hornady whitetail better than anything I’ve tried, including some hand loads. After limited experimenting, I’ve all but counted out big game. On to varget next, after deer season

The 139s? How well do they group for you?
Got one in 7mm-08 that shoots unbelievably tight groups with hornady whitetail ammo which is the first and only ammo I've tried.
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Got one in 7mm-08 that shoots unbelievably tight groups with hornady whitetail ammo which is the first and only ammo I've tried.

Just picked some up. Fingers crossed for good results.
Yep, the 139’s. Easily under moa 5 shot groups at 100. I’ve decided to hold off on reloading for now after yesterday’s range performance. When I can buy the rounds for about the same price as brass alone (especially when found on sale), it makes no sense for me to waste my time.
I have one in 7WSM that shot great until something happened this year.

I've done everything I know to do and still can't find the problem. Looks like it's going to the gunsmith next week to see what I missed.
Scope????
I have one I bought this past summer in .30-06, and it’s a tank. It’s the heaviest gun I have. It shoots OK, haven’t tried any reloads for it yet. I’m either going to sell it or get a new stock. Haven’t decided yet.
Originally Posted by tzone
I have one I bought this past summer in .30-06, and it’s a tank. It’s the heaviest gun I have. It shoots OK, haven’t tried any reloads for it yet. I’m either going to sell it or get a new stock. Haven’t decided yet.

Put it in a McMillan Hunters Edge stock you wont regret it.
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Scope????

I wish. Tried three that I know are on and still getting the same walking pattern. First shot is perfect, second shot is within MOA, then they start stringing up the target getting farther out each shot. I shoot five shot groups and I don't mind a fifth flier, but this thing goes down hill fast. After it cools, the first shot is off and it is barely 3 MOA
I have two. A 264WM and a300WM. No problems with either one so far.
I had a .308 Win and a .300 Win Mag that I bought new about five years ago. I really wanted to like them but the poor machining, average to poor accuracy/precision and excessive weight were too much to deal with so I sold both. I bought a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM the same day I bought the EW in .300 WM but I still have the Kimber.
I bought two new Extreme Weather M70s (.308 and .30-06) at the same time about three years ago. I've always like Model 70s and have had several including pre-'64s. While my Extreme Weathers could be called accurate as they were capable of 100 yard groups under an inch, they were quite picky about bullet selection. I tried many bullets, all in the 150-180 grain range that these guns did not shoot well, though most would have been adequate for hunting use.
© 24hourcampfire