Home
Well, they listened! Ruger did us an exclusive run of 22-250's with a 1 in 8" twist. They notified me a while back, but I didn't have any production dates. I received notification telling me they were ready to ship while I was on vacation. They came in today...

Here are the specs:
Blued Receiver.
Stainless 22" Barrel.
1 in 8" Twist.
Black stock.
Right Hand Only.
$439.99

Here is the link on the website:
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/1704071440207

I plan on taking one home this weekend to play with it a bit. I'll report back after taking some measurements, etc.

I truly appreciate Ruger doing this. Hopefully, it will open some eyes.

Enabler
Good work SAS!

Shame I'm down here... maybe they'll take the hint and make them a mainstream item.

Should be a great shooter!
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Enabler

This. Must not grab wallet must not grab wallet must not grab wallet...
So are there just a few of them...? I've got a bonus coming but it's going to be a while...😐
Thankfully, it's right hand only....
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Enabler

This. Must not grab wallet must not grab wallet must not grab wallet...

This made me laugh...well played.
Enabler

I am!

Seriously though, we complain about manufacturers not getting things right. Opportunities like this give us a chance to show them what we really want. If things like this are a success, it opens industry eyes. Maybe then they'll pay more attention to twist, throating and mag space. It's an evolution in baby steps.

I'll be meeting with them in June again this year. The success of this rifle will determine what else can get accomplished.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Enabler

I am!

Seriously though, we complain about manufacturers not getting things right. Opportunities like this give us a chance to show them what we really want. If things like this are a success, it opens industry eyes. Maybe then they'll pay more attention to twist, throating and mag space. It's an evolution in baby steps.

I'll be meeting with them in June again this year. The success of this rifle will determine what else can get accomplished.

A Lefty stainless Ruger American in 6.5 Creed would be topic to be explored with Ruger in June.

Doc
And maybe a 17 hornet?

Thanks SAS good work!
I'll grab one in a heart beat if there are no magazine issues.

Can't wait to see what's up.
They still messed it up with the blued receiver. I've got an all stainless .223 RAR that shoots great, I might be interested in a fast twist 22-250 but it'd have to be stainless. Living in the Deep South where a blued rifle will rust overnight has taught me that I'll never buy anything blued again.

I applaud them for trying, but I can't understand how manufacturers can consistently screw up things like that.
Blued receiver?
Ruger comes up short again..
Is the mag done right to load the long pointy ones?
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
And maybe a 17 hornet?...

OhpleaseOhpleaseOhpleaseOhplease!!!
Originally Posted by 260madman
Is the mag done right to load the long pointy ones?
It will be the standard .243/.308 length magazine so there will be plenty of room.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
They still messed it up with the blued receiver. I've got an all stainless .223 RAR that shoots great, I might be interested in a fast twist 22-250 but it'd have to be stainless. Living in the Deep South where a blued rifle will rust overnight has taught me that I'll never buy anything blued again.

I applaud them for trying, but I can't understand how manufacturers can consistently screw up things like that.

I chose the blued receiver to keep cost down. Ruger had nothing to do with that. The stainless receiver would have been a longer wait time and the cost on the special run would have exceeded $500.

The stainless barrel was chosen for the inside of the barrel, not the outside.
I love the blued action stainless barrel look. I would have bought one of these instead of the tikka if it had been out at the same time. My blued RAR hasn't rusted on me down here but the SPS Remington's did with a quickness so I started cerakoting them as soon as I purchased.
Hopefully they really are 1 in 8" barrels, and not like the .223 #1's, that arrived with 1 in 9" barrels, instead of the advertised 1 in 8's smirk
Thanks for doing a good deed sas. As the idiom goes, unfortunately, it shan't go unpunished...
i was tracking a sale that a competitor had on various calibers of rar predators this weekend. darn attractive, but i'm a lefty, and have decided that if i can't get a lefty, then ok, i've got enought righties to last me.

Stamped on the barrel...

[Linked Image]
75 A-Max into the lands at 2.606"....

[Linked Image]
Mag box measures 2.862"....

[Linked Image]

Bullet depth in case...

[Linked Image]
Perfect
I cycled several loaded rounds through the magazine without a hitch. I'm planning to shoot it tomorrow sometime. Cooking a birthday meal for the boy this afternoon and won't have the time to mount a scope and load.

More info to come....
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Perfect

I'll set one aside for you and you can pick it up during turkey season. Any preference on last two digits of the serial number?

I grabbed the top one off the stack and the serial number ends in 666. Don't know if that's good or bad!
I wish they would have done that 30 years ago. Gents, we live in the Golden Age.
And I just had a fast twist 22-250 built! frown shocked
I cycled several loaded rounds through the magazine without a hitch. I'm planning to shoot it tomorrow sometime. Cooking a birthday meal for the boy this afternoon and won't have the time to mount a scope and load.

More info to come....

Can't wait to see your report. Are you going to chronograph them too?
SAS, you are a man's man. Thank you for doing what you do. It's a pleasure to do business with you. I have the LH Tikka on order so I'll pass on the Ruger, as I'm a lefty but I am recommending my friends to purchase from you.
Stamped on the barrel...

[Linked Image]

Cool! grin

Wow, I'm tempted!

Do you think Ruger will offer a 22 creedmoor with the same twist? The 6mm creedmoor RAR also has me interested.
Perfect

I'll set one aside for you and you can pick it up during turkey season. Any preference on last two digits of the serial number?

I grabbed the top one off the stack and the serial number ends in 666. Don't know if that's good or bad!

Surprise me.
Duh get 69
SAS, Thanks for putting this together! Looking forward to the report
Thanks again Darrick.
I put my order in last night. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots.
I've not had time to shoot mine yet. I'm looking forward to it as well. Maybe I'll break away from the desk and get to the range before weeks end?

I expect good things...
You wanna play a little? I'll bring a box of 70gr Barnes TSX's to see what it does.
Im anxious to hear your report Darrick. I'll post how mine shoots once it's up and running.

I've got some 62 and 70 tsx to try as well.
You wanna play a little? I'll bring a box of 70gr Barnes TSX's to see what it does.

Yep!

Yep!

I had some of those, sold them then built an 8 twist .22-250.

Oh well...

Let us know how they do. May need to get some more.

DF
So Darrick, have you got a chance to shoot yours yet?

I'm picking mine up today and hope to get it scoped and throw together some loads and shoot this evening or tomorrow
Originally Posted by Dude270
So Darrick, have you got a chance to shoot yours yet?

I'm picking mine up today and hope to get it scoped and throw together some loads and shoot this evening or tomorrow

No. Crazy busy here with turkey season. The new shop is almost done as well. I've been spending tons of time in there as well.
OK guys....

A little snafu on the price. Its our fault and I'll be happy to issue a refund for any of you that paid $439.99. Please send me an email and we'll get it processed.
[email protected]

The new (and correct!) price is $399.99.
Darrik,

Thanks for straightening out the price. That makes me like my rifle even better! I sent an email to you about it.

Hopefully turkey season has been treating you well so far!
If I wait will it be $349.99 wink
I've finally got around to shooting mine a bit.

Accuracy has been good to excellent so far. I've only shot 75 amaxs with rl 15 and while working up loads I never saw a group over 1". The best groups were 1/2".

While accuracy has been great with rl 15 I need to try some different powders as rl 15 isn't giving me the velocities I hoped to see. I'm gonna load up some with 4350 and see how that works.

The only downside to the rifle so far is the magazine. It refuses to function with more than 2 rounds loaded into it and even with 2 it only feeds half the time. The magazine from my 6.5 creedmoor works perfectly in it. I'll call ruger for a replacement soon.

Overall I really like the rifle, especially for the price!

Not on these!
Dude- Try fully loading the magazine and leaving it that way for a week or so. See if that helps relax the spring and tension a little bit.

Nothing wrong with using the 6.5 magazine either.
Thanks Dave.
I think on mine the plastic lips are too wide. The rounds are popping out of the feed lips with almost no resistance.
Anyone have any suggested loads for this rifle and 75 AMAX? I am eagerly awaiting the arival of mine tomorrow.
SAS,

So if the blued reciever is there to keep the costs down, why the SS barrel? Did Ruger have a pile of 8-twist barrels just sitting there waiting to be chambered? Just curious...
I like the blued and stainless combo. It's unique. It makes this special run a truly special run. Even though I have 3 223s and a 22-250, I may end up with one of these. I think they are cool. I also think we are going to see some impressive groups.
Maybe some see the inside of the barrel as the more important part?
Ozarker

In my rifle with the 75 AMAX 35.o grains of RL 15 gave me 3150 fps and 5 shots group measuring .620"

38.0 grains of H414 gave me 3240 fps and .710" 5 shot group

Start low and work up of course
Kaleb,

My thoughts on the SS barrel as well. Blued receiver to keep the cost down, SS where it counts.

I like mine so well that the loony in me is thinking of ordering another and sticking in the safe just because.
Originally Posted by NTG
SAS,

So if the blued reciever is there to keep the costs down, why the SS barrel? Did Ruger have a pile of 8-twist barrels just sitting there waiting to be chambered? Just curious...

Not that I'm aware of?

Originally Posted by Kaleb
Maybe some see the inside of the barrel as the more important part?

This is and was the exact reason.

Not on these!

If Dan would please hurry and place his order so can take advavtage of the inevitable price drop? Thanks - it'll get me off the fence!

Damn ... @ this price its cheaper than putting a fast twist barrel on my VG2 .223 ... demons are speaking.

g
Originally Posted by avagadro
Damn ... @ this price its cheaper than putting a fast twist barrel on my VG2 .223 ... demons are speaking.

g

No kidding...

I spent more on a Shilen SS tube for my Mohawk than this guns costs...

8 twist .22-250 is uber cool, will handle about anything and do it well.

My gun shoots half inch, but so does this one...

DF
Don't be shy....it won't last long! First Winchester 22-250 brass we've had in a while....

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1706051138123
I got one of these sumbitches and it shoots like crazy.

50gr. V-Max is a constant fave.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Two questions. One, are you ready to trade it yet? Two, whose sunglasses are those?
Depends what you got.

The guy next to me left them. They're yours for $20.

Clark
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot anything 60+ grains through it yet?
Yeah I tried the 75 A-Max but they didn't group very well.

I had to seat them deep to get them to function 100% in the mag.

I'll try the 75gr BTHP next.

It shoots 40gr Nosler BT's as well as the 50gr V-max.

Dave

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Give you $175 and two jars of kimchi for the rifle
Sold.

Clark

PS-What's kimchi?
Sold.

Clark

PS-What's kimchi?

It's Korean version of sauerkraut but better ...
Kimchi is far smellier than sauerkraut. My buddy smelled for months after TDYs to Osan...
Looking for a few more accuracy reports on these before I jump in on a couple. Anything else to report with 75 or 80gr A-Max/ELD's or 62gr TTSX's?

X-VERMINATOR
tag
mtcurman and his brother have this right now.

They should probably get off their ass and go shoot something with it.
Originally Posted by xverminator
Looking for a few more accuracy reports on these before I jump in on a couple. Anything else to report with 75 or 80gr A-Max/ELD's or 62gr TTSX's?

X-VERMINATOR

I didn’t shoot any 62gr bullets with it but I shot about 97 rounds of 60gr federal NP’s through it and it was MOA at 300.
Just ordered one at $300 from Whittakers. I hope y'all still like it?
I'm having fun with mine.

I could have saved a couple bucks gambling on a sale but this way I got a load worked out early, for antelope in Wyoming.

62gr TTSX and Superformance is working fine.

Tremendous sale price!
Tag.
I just ordered one of these from whitakers. Anybody have any load data for these that they would share. Hoping to shoot 60-75 gr bullets.

Here are some answers I received to the same querry.

Some ideas with 62 grain TSX

FWIW, I worked-up Sierra 63 SMP's to 3,450-ish in my Whittakers RAR 1:8, using Hornady brass with 36.0 grains of Varget and CCI 200's. Nice groups, and this bullet has been reported to hold up surprisingly well, even at these speeds. I figure that between this bullet, the 62 TSX, and 75 BTHP, I could take any reasonable critter at far more than any distance I have any business shooting.

I'm sure some Googling will bring you some other ideas.

Good Luck!

FC
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Kimchi is far smellier than sauerkraut. My buddy smelled for months after TDYs to Osan...

Pretty spicy too, based on what I've tried, and garlicy.
I couldn’t resist I just ordered one too
I just traded into one yesterday. Seems like a fun rifle to play around with. I am surprised that Whittaker's still has some of these left, and at crazy low price right now. I would have thought these would sell out quick. Does anyone know how many were actually made in this run?
I've had one of these for about a year now, puts 75 eld-m over 36.5 g of H4350 sparked by a federal large rifle match into consistent .5" at 100 yards.
An 8" 224/250 is a GIANT Killer.

Pass the Re-15,200's,Lapooey brass and 75 ELD's.................
I had to order one at $280 shipped. Crazy!
There seems to be a race to the bottom on inexpensive, accurate synthetic rifles.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I had to order one at $280 shipped. Crazy!

I couldn't either. Just ordered mine
Got mine today! It won't win a beauty contest, but it should shoot!

[Linked Image]
Just ordered another. I installed a M Carbo spring in the one I have now and the trigger is much mo' betta! $35 EGW 20 MOA rail is also on the way and there's another SWFA 6x42 waiting in the safe. It's a no brainer for less than $600 all in.
Wow. Be a fine pig rifle with a 62 Barnes!!
Gonna try another with the bushmaster mag. 80 eld's should do the trick
Will one of these work in the new predator AICS mag stock?

Or, in the MDT stock with AICS mags?

And, how hard to rechamber to 22 Creedmoor?
Originally Posted by KH1473
Gonna try another with the bushmaster mag. 80 eld's should do the trick

I am going to try a few of these as well.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Not sure on the stocks. But why rechamber when the 22-250 is basically the same cartridge? I believe the barrel would have to be set back. More expensive dies. More expensive brass. I'd stick with the tried and true 22-250.

Not sure on the stocks. But why rechamber when the 22-250 is basically the same cartridge? I believe the barrel would have to be set back. More expensive dies. More expensive brass. I'd stick with the tried and true 22-250.

Good points.

If it worked with the AICS mags, this would be a no brainer.
I'd happily rechamber,to drive Alpha brass and the vastly superior case design in conjunction....................
Maybe SAS could get Ruger to make a run of 1-8" SS 22 CM's. Just looked up Alpha brass. Never heard of it.
I hear good things.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Especially wit TiN bushing and .003" constriction.

Formed 22-250AI to left of frame, 22 Kreedmire Virgin to right.

[Linked Image]

Virgin 22 Kreedmire 75's on left of frame,freshly formed 22-250AI to right.

[Linked Image]

I'd like the 224 Kreedmire,to being akin to 95%-ish of a 22-250AI...turn key. Mainly because I shoot both.

[Linked Image]

Hint...............
Does the 1-8 stabilize the 88 grain ELD?
At Kreedmire velocities...100%........................

Anyone tired either of these? Drop a Ruger rotary mag American into a AICS pattern Predator stock or drop into the MDT AICS chassis?

Disregard, I found Buildng a Custom Ruger American Rifle over on rifleshooter.com which shows that it will work.

I also called MAGPUL, and they said their stock will work without modification to the rifle.

Dang. 5% off store-wide, but they have been out of stock for a few days.
It'd be worth it,just to punch the bitch out to Kreedmire.................
Is that what the guy across town thought? Sugar tits!! 😎.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It'd be worth it,just to punch the bitch out to Kreedmire.................

Please post pictures of your fancy range just out the front door. LOL. Lying sack of do nothing is priceless.
Sugar tits hope you have a murrderry Christmas. Grin. Buy the mongloid something nice
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Living in the Deep South where a blued rifle will rust overnight has taught me that I'll never buy anything blued again.

They got rid of most of the stainless models as a cost cutting effort.

What did they do in the Deep South before stainless steel rifles were available? Hm.
Joe Average...is fhuqking HILARIOUS.

Laughing...............
I called the store. They are out and will not be reordering.
Yesterday I received an email with a stock update.

Ruger American 22-250 1 in 8" twist

25 available, but not in the store.
But they're $429.99 now.....less 5% through the end of the year. Damn!
Perfect timing. I was thinking about a ruger american predator but jumped on this instead. 24 in stock now.
Guess I was lucky - I bought one at $279 - Now they're back up to $429... Ouch !
Trigger is god awful on mine. Yes I tuned it down as low as it will go.

Just started shooting it with some factory 64 grain Winny PP's. Accuracy is decent, not great.

Never seen a barrel so dirty when it came new in box. Foaming it for a second time.

My initial thoughts is I should of bought another Match Grade Machine barrel for my Encore.

I'm sure you could trip it for $280 + shipping if you hate it so much. I put MCarbo springs in all of mine. They help muchly for cheap.
I'm sure you could trip it for $280 + shipping if you hate it so much. I put MCarbo springs in all of mine. They help muchly for cheap.

I would hope so, probably will
I put MCarbo springs in all of mine. They help muchly for cheap.

I can admit when I'm wrong and I am certainly wrong about the American trigger now that I installed the MCarbo spring. Night and day difference.

I'm pleasantly surprised how crisp and light it is.

I must admit, I did not know these springs existed until your post. Very easy to install too.

I have the bore clean as a whistle now too. 450 Bushmaster mag ordered up to replace the rotary style one that comes with the rifle

I'm pretty darn happy now
I took mine apart, cleaned it thoroughly and sanded a bit of material outta the stock for a better fit, ditched the mag and picked up a bushmaster mag and the damn thing's a pearl with 75/80gr eld
This was really the best bargain in 2018.
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I put MCarbo springs in all of mine. They help muchly for cheap.

I can admit when I'm wrong and I am certainly wrong about the American trigger now that I installed the MCarbo spring. Night and day difference.

I'm pleasantly surprised how crisp and light it is.

I must admit, I did not know these springs existed until your post. Very easy to install too.

I have the bore clean as a whistle now too. 450 Bushmaster mag ordered up to replace the rotary style one that comes with the rifle

I'm pretty darn happy now

It beats the heck out of spending for a Timney. Glad it worked out for you. But if you ever want to trip it for $280 + $15 + shipping, let me know. Ha.
You want one? Just a PM away. NIB Can ship today. wink
Good times. Oh, they're not on sale? Fine $500!

===================================================================

Alright, here's my best deal. LOL grin
I have the $283 plus $20 into it. It's NIB. Shipped $300
SOLD Pending. Love this place.

Back up. Still love it. LOL
The factory mag in my rifle wouldn't feed if I loaded more than two rounds in it. I ordered a .450 bushmaster mag that came in the mail today, I highly recommend it. Holds 4 rounds and feeds flawlessly.
Originally Posted by KH1473
I took mine apart, cleaned it thoroughly and sanded a bit of material outta the stock for a better fit, ditched the mag and picked up a bushmaster mag and the damn thing's a pearl with 75/80gr eld

KH, do you mind sharing your 75 ELD load? I've been playing around with these and I'm not getting the consistency I would like. Varget is the powder I have been using.

The lighter bullets are shooting fantastic in this rifle.
Cooper if it helps I shoot a 75 eld-m over 36.5 g of H4350 and a federal 210M. 2.62 o.a.l is where mine likes it.
I picked up some H4350 today. Thank you
Anybody know how many of these RAR's were made for SAS?
I took mine out to the range today to sight in a Burris 4X 1.5-6x Illuminated scope from Doug at Cameraland.

Nothing long range just playing at 100yds.

The interesting part was it grouped all loads in a 2" circle including;

32gr Hornady Hornet, tipped bullet, Bluedot
45gr Hornady HP Bee, Bluedot
50gr Z-max 4895 reduced
50gr Z-max 4895 standard speed
62gr Barnes TTSX Supeformance, my Antelope load

Sorry, I didn't have the chronograph along...

It should do all I want for a varmint to coyote calling to Whitetail and Antelope rifle. I grinned all the way home grin
I know this is an old post but does anybody know if they are going to try to get more of these?
Doubtful. They fire-saled them at the end to bleed off inventory. Something like $250-275 each, if I recall.
I bought one from somebody on this site for $325 in 2019. I felt a little sorry for SAS after he went to all the effort to help folks out and then had to fire sale them when only a few of the people who said that they wanted them actually bought them. Same/same for the 17HM2s he special ordered.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I bought one from somebody on this site for $325 in 2019. I felt a little sorry for SAS after he went to all the effort to help folks out and then had to fire sale them when only a few of the people who said that they wanted them actually bought them. Same/same for the 17HM2s he special ordered.

I tried to buy one when they closed them out , but couldn't get the website to work and they wouldn't call me back... I have a rule if a company makes it hard for me to spend money I will go somewhere else.
Oh and I PM'd SAS and he said someone would contact me.... yeah right
Originally Posted by irfubar

I tried to buy one when they closed them out , but couldn't get the website to work and they wouldn't call me back... I have a rule if a company makes it hard for me to spend money I will go somewhere else.
Oh and I PM'd SAS and he said someone would contact me.... yeah right

I have had nothing but good things to say about SAS. He has always treated me like a friend despite the fact that we've never met.
The communication is a bit lacking at times. I didn’t buy a $900 pistol from them because I never received a reply to my email. Last fall when I ordered rifles they were Johnny on the spot with an inquiry. Guess it depends on who’s working. Oh well.
Originally Posted by JPro
Doubtful. They fire-saled them at the end to bleed off inventory. Something like $250-275 each, if I recall.

Wish I had caught that.
SAS is a good dude

Ruger screwed that up for SAS. The quality control on those HM2s was lacking. It seemed like sales took off until the reports of poor accuracy, split cases, stiff bolts and other issues started coming in.
4451 under the 75-80 grain bullet you like. GD
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Ruger screwed that up for SAS. The quality control on those HM2s was lacking. It seemed like sales took off until the reports of poor accuracy, split cases, stiff bolts and other issues started coming in.

I agree. I bought a couple of the RARs in 17HM2 and the one that I shot has been my least accurate 17HM2, very significantly less accurate than any Marlin or Savage that I've owned or shot.
Remember that thread we all called him different names starting with D?

Like Darrel, David, Darwin, Denzel?

He hasn't been back very much since. I liked Denny and hope to see him.
© 24hourcampfire