Home
Posted By: JustinL1 Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/07/17
What kind of accuracy have you folks seen with Mark V's? I am talking about newer ones- if that makes a difference. The reason I ask is I bought a Kimber 8400 in .338 Winchester and I have lost Kimber my first game of Kimber Roulette (it'll be a while before I try again- I've read a lot of Kimber threads on here before and tried all the reccomendations, too). So- I'm looking to replace it with a Weatherby Mark V. I have one in .270 Weatherby Mag.- it shoots really well with factory loads and I worked up a reload it seems to like, as well. So what kind of new Weatherby experiences have you all had lately?
I have had only positive experiences with the exception of a 1995 made Saco Stainless MK V that I bought from someone on the fire and it was totally misrepresented. My Jap made 270wby shoots very consistently
Posted By: ingwe Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/07/17
Weatherby Mark V would bey next to last pick for accuracy..right above Kimber...
Originally Posted by ingwe
Weatherby Mark V would bey next to last pick for accuracy..right above Kimber...
I agree here...I love the feel of Weatherby's Mark V Ultralightweight rifle but I tried 4 brand new 30-06's before I gave up ( none would shoot better than 2" 100yd groups) and they were $1400 a pop at the time so it became a rather expensive endeavor before I gave up....If your looking for a lightweight accurate bolt action rifle I would suggest a Tikka T3X Superlite, I would almost guarantee your rifle would shoot and it may save you a lot of heartache with the Weatherby not to mention almost a grand still in your pocket....Good luck with your choice and keep us posted as you have My interest......Hb
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/07/17
I have had 3, Mark Vs in 300 WBY and my latest is a custom shop Accumark 257 WBY. All of the 300s have shot well with one being a consistent 1/2" gun at 100 yards using WBY ammo. The 257 shoots 3/4-1" with WBY ammo.

I have shot another dozen or so Mark Vs that friends own in assorted cartridges from 240-300 WBYs and don't remember any that were NOT decent shooters. My favorite from that group is an UL in 240 a buddy bought a year or so ago that shoots about 1/2".
Me and my dad have had a LOT of weatherby rifles, I think right now he still has a dozen or so MKVs. He always said that they are pretty unimpressive in standard calibers which I sort of agree with (if im getting a 308 or a 30-06, theres probably better choices).

The ones he has, including a brand new ultra light weight are all in weatherby calibers 240, 357, 300, 340, 378, 338-378. ANd they are all very accurate rifles. He has since sold all the standard caliber ones for one reason or another.
I would take a Vanguard over a Mark-V.

I restocked my USA made 300Wby Mark V with an Accumark stock. Once it was bedded into it the groups shrank and it became a good shooter.

In the factory synthetic it was around 4", I assume it was the POS stock.
I have two Wby Mk V's, a 280 UL & a 7 Wby Fibermark.

280 UL
Took me three to find one that would shoot. Once I found it, does it ever shoot! It is more accurate than even my Lilja barreled custom. A dream to shoulder & a dream to carry.

7 Wby Fibermark
Had it custom stocked, Cerakoted and barrel cut back 2" right out of the box. Weighs 8.2 lbs. Shoots 1/2 moa with all bullet weights Ive tried.
120 TTSX @ 3650
140 Accubond, TTSX, A Frame @ 3400
150 S2 @ 3200
160 Accubond, North Fork @ 3200
Several Weatherby's and all are accurate. Only 1 is a Mark V in a 257. I live in an extremely dry climate and the stock did a little drying and moving over about 2 years. Removed the pressure point and floated initially and it was great. After a year or so I figured out it needed to have the action bedded because it was being stressed. Took care of that and it's a sub minute unit. One can not reach the lands with reloads, and best accuracy comes from seating slugs about neck deep.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/08/17
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have had only positive experiences with the exception of a 1995 made Saco Stainless MK V that I bought from someone on the fire and it was totally misrepresented. My Jap made 270wby shoots very consistently

How bad was the Saco Stainless MK V ?
Was it the one in 270 Win. that was for sale here
years ago?
I have a Saco Stainless MK V in 270 wby that my Wife sent in
to the Wby Custom shop to be made into their Outfitter model
New barrel,stock,action blue-printed,lugslapped the works!
She spent more on it than I could have bought a Brand New NULA
from Mel for!
Wby Custom Shop sent me Factory Test fire targets back with my
rifle when it was done 1/2 in. groups 2 different factory loads.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I restocked my USA made 300Wby Mark V with an Accumark stock. Once it was bedded into it the groups shrank and it became a good shooter.

In the factory synthetic it was around 4", I assume it was the POS stock.

SO there is quite a barrel gap mounted in that accumark stock? I have found no dropoff between a wood, laminated,fiberglass stock vs synthetic stock. They all shoot very well.

There isn't too much of a gap. The stock came with the pressure points removed so the barrel is floated. The original synthetic stock was not bedded but I wouldn't think it would go from 4" vertical strings to nice triangles by simply bedding. All I know is it shot much better just unbolting the factory synthetic and bolting up an Accumark stock.
I have had two: one nine-lug stainless/synthetic in .375 H&H and one six-lug stainless/synthetic in .280 Remington (that eventually got opened up to .280 AI). Both were factory stock, and both were sub-MOA shooters with my preferred handloads. I never tried factory ammo in either.

The .280 ended up in a Rimrock stock after it became a .280 AI, but it did not shoot any better (or worse). The .375 went to Hill Country Rifles for a McMillan stock. I went ahead and had them do their accurizing treatment, as well, and it did approach 1/2 MOA with at least one of my handloads with 260-grain AccuBonds.
Interesting responses...I have fairly full stable of 700s, and while I love them and have yet to have one that won't shoot well out of the box, I wanted my add another Mark V to the safe. I'll ponder over it- as all of my rifles have plans in the next few years already, so even if I got one that needed some work or didn't work out period- I have plenty of time to rectify it!
Originally Posted by BWalker
I would take a Vanguard over a Mark-V.

This is pretty much where I ended up at as well.

For the price, guaranteed accuracy etc I think the vanguards are better.

We have several vanguards but my favorite is the 375HH and the back country.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/09/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

340 bee

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

460 bee factory ammo

[Linked Image]

416 bee

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BTW as of 2017 all bees are guaranteed to shoot moa or less.......not just the range certified ones!
All are WBY calibers

240 Vanguard S2
257 Fiberrmark
6.5 Accumark
270 Ultra light weight
7mm Eurosport
300 MK V Deluxe
340 MK V Deluxe
338-378 accumark unfired
378 Lasermark
416 Classicmark II
460 Classicmark I
Originally Posted by Fotis
[Linked Image]

BTW as of 2017 all bees are guaranteed to shoot moa or less.......not just the range certified ones!

Good!!! thats always bothered me. Buy our 2500 dollar rifle!!! pay an extra 500 dollars and we will make sure its actually accurate....

I try not to bitch too much about companies practices and have no problem spending my money elsewhere but that thing with weatherby ha always rubbed me the wrong way. Another one that always bugged me is Bowen classic arms....pay 1800 for a conversion but we're going to charge you for the ammo we use to make sure we did our work right.....I mean dosent 1800 bucks include the cost of you verifying your work???
I bought a Mark V Ultralight in 6.5-300 a week or two ago. I took it to the range to zero the scope and it shot .800"-1.00" with the factory ammo I had brought along. It was a windy day, and I was just trying to get the scope more or less dialed in before I work up a handload, so no particular care was taken to get good groups. I think it has some potential.

FWIW, I heard that all Mark V production has been moved back to Weatherby headquarters in Paso Robles. I will say that the level of fit and finish on my sample is excellent for a production rifle.
6.5-300! I want one of those.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/10/17
Love mine

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 1minute
6.5-300! I want one of those.

Yeah, I love everything it stands for. Complete, utter performance, burned out barrels and efficiency be damned!! Like a Ferrari! Sort of the anti-Creedmore.
Never had one that would not shoot. Most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have owned and or used more Weatherby's than I can recall in Weatherby chamberings but never once, saw one that did not perk with handloads.

I have seen one in .338 that I am still working with but that is because I want averages under MOA or it does not stay in the rack.
Originally Posted by ChetAF
I bought a Mark V Ultralight in 6.5-300 a week or two ago. I took it to the range to zero the scope and it shot .800"-1.00" with the factory ammo I had brought along. It was a windy day, and I was just trying to get the scope more or less dialed in before I work up a handload, so no particular care was taken to get good groups. I think it has some potential.

FWIW, I heard that all Mark V production has been moved back to Weatherby headquarters in Paso Robles. I will say that the level of fit and finish on my sample is excellent for a production rifle.

That sounds like a ripper Chet. How's the rifle set up? What's it weigh?
I have a SWFA tactical scope on it now for load development, but I will go with something lighter for hunting.

The rifle weighs 7 pounds on it's own. It should weigh about 8 pounds scoped in hunting trim. I think it will make a nice mule deer/sheep/goat/antelope rifle.

Chet
Chet and Fotis--how is the kick on that 6.5-300 in the Ultralight?
Posted By: Fotis Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 04/17/17
to me? maybe like a 7mm rem mag
I agree. About like a 7mm Mag.
I had a MKV .280 Remington that shot very well. I kick myself for selling it. Stainless with the 6 lug action. It shot Hornady Light Magnum(pre Superperformace) which had the 139 grain BTSP innerlock at 3100 fps. It consistently shot 3 holes touching with that load. Certainly as good or better than any rifle I have ever had including several customs. I liked the bolt lift etc. Decent trigger as well. As many things on this forum.....many turn there nose up at Weatherby. Fascinating bunch of folks here. Like I said earlier should have never let it go. I think that version had a kreiger criterion barrel. I can't speak for any oaths but that was a keeper.
Originally Posted by goodshot
I had a MKV .280 Remington that shot very well. I kick myself for selling it. Stainless with the 6 lug action. It shot Hornady Light Magnum(pre Superperformace) which had the 139 grain BTSP innerlock at 3100 fps. It consistently shot 3 holes touching with that load. Certainly as good or better than any rifle I have ever had including several customs. I liked the bolt lift etc. Decent trigger as well. As many things on this forum.....many turn there nose up at Weatherby. Fascinating bunch of folks here. Like I said earlier should have never let it go. I think that version had a kreiger criterion barrel. I can't speak for any oaths but that was a keeper.

Yeah many bring out decades old tales of woe and cite the same tired examples when it comes to their experience with a Weatherby, I lost count of how many i had/have and only 2 had to be sent back.

Yeah many bring out decades old tales of woe and cite the same tired examples when it comes to their experience with a Weatherby, I lost count of how many i had/have and only 2 had to be sent back.

I think this must be basic human nature. My Dad is still convinced all Toyota cars are terrible because he rented one on a business trip in the '70's and it had a problem with the windshield wipers.

Many guys have similar opinions of rifles based on products built 40+ years ago.

I think this must be basic human nature. My Dad is still convinced all Toyota cars are terrible because he rented one on a business trip in the '70's and it had a problem with the windshield wipers.

Many guys have similar opinions of rifles based on products built 40+ years ago.

I was given the family toyota corolla when I graduated HS in 1971. AT that time it was 3 years old and one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. Rusted easily, starter fell out of it , transmission blew up. Fast Forward 15 years and they were of stellar quality
I have a SWFA tactical scope on it now for load development, but I will go with something lighter for hunting.

The rifle weighs 7 pounds on it's own. It should weigh about 8 pounds scoped in hunting trim. I think it will make a nice mule deer/sheep/goat/antelope rifle.

Chet

That isn't too danged bad at all for that sorta Horsepower.

Bad luck? I've had 6. Have shot a couple dozen or more. haven't seen one that wasn't accurate.
I guess I've been lucky too. I've owned three, still own one and wish I'd never sold the other two - an Ultra Lightweight and an Accumark, both in 7mm Wby. The Accumark would shoot one really tiny hole with almost any load and the ultralight would break 3/4" with a number of handloads. Letting it cool down between shots finally got to me and I thought the Accumark was too heavy for my style of hunting. I found the action on all of these Mark V rifles to be very smooth and incredibly robust.

I currently own a newer ultralight in .257 Wby and it too is superbly accurate, especially for a lighter rifle. The barrel seems to heat up more slowly than the 7mm did and makes load development a lot more fun. I shoot Weatherby factory loads to fire form brass and have found them to be fast and very accurate. Several handloads average around .6" and easily hit factory velocities over my chrono. The newer stock is much improved over the older Ultra Lightweight and Accumark. All of my Mark Vs have been American made but I'd have no problem with owning a Japanese or German made rifle. The company itself, seems to be a great organization, still being run by the Weatherby family.

Speaking of stocks, I wasn't initially a big fan of the Weatherby Monte Carlo style stock. After shooting the rifles and understanding the reasons behind the design, I'm going to say ol' Roy got it right. Puts your eye where it belongs on a scoped rifle and the shape of the comb does a lot to mitigate recoil, directing it away from your face. Even the 7mm lightweight was very pleasant to shoot.
I had an UL in .30-06, I tried everything. Bedded, swapped stocks, swapped scopes, different powders, bullets, weights, primers, seating depths, you name it. Everything but recrowning. I loved that rifle but it just wouldn't shoot.

[Linked Image]

It was fine inside of 150 yards but I started hunting open country so I sold it and bought a Tikka. Almost as light, half the price, much more accurate.

My backup is a Vanguard Back Country, the original stainless model. It's a shooter, too.

[Linked Image]

P
I had a Euromark in 7mm Weatherby years ago that didn't shoot all that great, but the three MkV's I have now (two Ultralights in 270 Wby and an old Fibermark in .340) shoot beautifully.
I grew up with weatherby rifles, my dad loves them. I hunted with them for years and years without ever knowing anything about accuracy, groups etc, etc.

I don't remember any of them giving us any trouble.

Right now I just have a few mkv sporters, one in 300wby and one in 340wby, both are very accurate. If I were to buy another I'd get that ultra lightweight in 300wby with tha 28" barrel just because it's cool.
My Wby Mk. V .257 Wby. is not new, being one of the early ones when Weatherby began making the Fibermark model- but it is a shooter, for sure. Really likes the Barnes TTSX and RL22, and shoots sub-MOA groups consistently. It now wears a McMillan Edge stock, which shaved a few ounces off the weight and improved the looks.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I grew up with weatherby rifles, my dad loves them. I hunted with them for years and years without ever knowing anything about accuracy, groups etc, etc.

I don't remember any of them giving us any trouble.

Right now I just have a few mkv sporters, one in 300wby and one in 340wby, both are very accurate. If I were to buy another I'd get that ultra lightweight in 300wby with tha 28" barrel just because it's cool.

"Cool" is the new 6.5-.300. If i was getting a new 9 lug that would be IT!
Years ago if I shot 20 continuous rounds into a 1 1/2”(even 2”)group at a 100 yards with a deluxe factory hunting rifle, I was satisfied it would be good enough for 300 to 400 yard shots from a cold bore (if sighted in). But nowadays standards are higher for more precision. Sub moa , even sub half moa is all the rage. It has put a damper on many older rifles some of us used to appreciate. Considering I was never overly particular other than having a relatively well made good looking deluxe rifle that shot decent groups, I’m changing. Even I want to shoot clovers most of the time. So it’s custom rifles and reloading, unless your luck of the draw on a factory works out well. It is what it is. Besides, what used to be long range is now mid range. The further out you go, the more precise your gun may need to be.
No issues with either of my two. Deluxe in 300 wby and Accumark in 270 wby. Been a while since I shot either. Fit and finish are excellent. Not sure why I own them but they are in the safe.
Posted By: ERK Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 10/13/21
Depends on the load of course but the one bought six months ago is good. 130 grainers with 7828 powder shoot one inch at two hundred yards. The 150 with re22 shoot inch and quarter at two yards. Not bench rest but the 150 grain average 3295 FPS. Edk

I had a couple of older Japanese Mark Vs that didn't shoot great. Have had several of the newer American guns, including Ultralights, and they've all shot great. Same with Kimber. I've had 8-10 and all but one was consistently 3/4" or better with numerous loads.

First impressions are very long lasting.
Originally Posted by AMRA

How bad was the Saco Stainless MK V ?
Was it the one in 270 Win. that was for sale here
years ago?

I have a Saco Stainless MK V in 270 wby that my Wife sent in
to the Wby Custom shop to be made into their Outfitter model
New barrel,stock,action blue-printed,lugslapped the works!
She spent more on it than I could have bought a Brand New NULA
from Mel for!
Wby Custom Shop sent me Factory Test fire targets back with my
rifle when it was done 1/2 in. groups 2 different factory loads.

No it is a 270 WBY. The Chamber was undersized and it was extremely hard to close the bolt on factory ammo. Previous owner attempted to remove the firing pin and left it adjusted wrong with no gas check ball. I found it out at the range after it would not fire a round. I took it apart and found the problem and I had to buy gas check balls from Wby at 5 bucks a shot. Previous owner said it shot under an inch. grin

I can believe that, current MkV is a 270 fluted barrel all stainless made in Maine. TT trigger and a new stock from weatherby and it is a hammer. I have a German 257 on the way, should get it this weekend.
Posted By: JGray Re: Weatherby Mark V Accuracy??? - 10/13/21
I've had a MKV 270 Wby for around 10 years - from the Minnesota factory. It shoots fine - sub-MOA consistently. Kills stuff, too...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have 4, a 240, a 7mm Wby, a 338 and a 300 I bought a few weeks ago. The 240 usually goes 1/2 -3/4”. The 7 Wby goes 3/4-1”. The 338 took a good bit of tweaking with loads but it’s good for 1 1/4” and better on occasion. I haven’t shot the 300 yet ‘cause it’s been so warm and/or raining.

With the exception of the 338, they all have the slim 24” contour. The 338 is 24” but seems to have the contour that 26” tubes usually have.
Originally Posted by JGray
I've had a MKV 270 Wby for around 10 years - from the Minnesota factory. It shoots fine - sub-MOA consistently. Kills stuff, too...

I like that stock.
You people posting ACTUAL pictures and experiences with Weatherbys should stop. You're making the hyperbole crowd nervous...
I only have 2 Mark V’s, both Ultra Lights. 300 Win. Magnum and a 22-250. I do not reload and only use factory loads, Hornady and Federal Premium. Both shoot lights out, I zero at 200 yards, I use good Scopes. I have never been a 1 inch group or better at various distance’s kind of shooter. I’m a hunter, after a gun is sighted in I’m done with the range. Weatherby’s give me the confidence I need at longer distances which is key to me, there may be other good rifles you can buy but to me a Weatherby Mark V is cream of the crop. I respect the people that cover the various bullets and loads at various distances, I just want a great shooting gun that does what I bought it to do, Mark V’s do that for me very well and the weight is nice when hunting up high.
Good luck with your search Justin, Browning’s are great at a lower price point as well.
Fast forward to 2020 I picked up a MKV weathermark in a 6.5 rpm! 24” criterion barrel, trigger tech trigger b &c stock and cerakote for $1339.00. It shoots120 nbt, 130 stgk, 143 eldx right at 1/2” for 3 shots. Trigger tech is much better than older MKV trigger. The 6 lug action is tight and smooth I like but the 54 degree lift.some don’t like B&C stocks but I’m a fan. I’ve only had 2 MKV s over the years but I like them .
© 24hourcampfire