Home
Posted By: WDEA Shortening barrel for 7RemMag? - 05/19/17
Hey fellas would you cut a factory barrel down from 26" to 24" or leave it for a 7mm Remington magnum?

Yeah I lose some fps, I get it.

Rifle seems to balance pretty well as it is though.

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by WDEA
Hey fellas would you cut a factory barrel down from 26" to 24" or leave it for a 7mm Remington magnum?

Thoughts?
.....................As you say. If the rifle seems to balance pretty well as it is, then why touch it?.......I wouldn't.....
I love a 26 in barrel... Don't mess with it.. Get a rifle with a shorter tube, and have a spare..
Leave it alone.
I already have a couple handy Woods rifles, I'd leave a 26" 7mm Rem alone.
Thx fellas, I appreciate the info....

Long live 26"!!!!
Why stop at 24

Try 22
Posted By: las Re: Shortening barrel for 7RemMag? - 05/20/17
Leave it. It balances well, you say?

My 27 inch heavy barreled '98 in 30-06 shoots 1 inch groups at 300, with a good rest. Muzzle heavy, steady to hold, recoil is negligible.

Why have a magnum without a 26 inch barrel - that is the design...probably for reason. Those two inches are not going to make that much difference in handling anyway. Conversely, it won't make that much diff in MV, either, but it may in balance and perceived recoil. Leave it alone.

Now, we can discuss my 17 inch barreled RU77 in '06....... smile
Well, I guess the " 23" optimum " barrel length has fallen from favor. - ? ?

Personally, I don't have any problem with 24 OR 26 " barrels.

Rifle balance "trumps" all.

Jerry
I was gonna say- go 23"!
Yup,rifle balance is more important. smile
Or go to 25" grin
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Or go to 25" grin

That's the way I roll!
24" is perfect balance for this set up.

[Linked Image]
Mine wears a 23".

Thoughts?

It seems you can live with it the way it is, by your statement "Rifle seems to balance pretty well as it is".... Why even ask us????
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thoughts?

It seems you can live with it the way it is, by your statement "Rifle seems to balance pretty well as it is".... Why even ask us????

Yep. A couple inches does not make a big difference in weight, but does get you a bit more performance. I love my 26-inch barrels.
7 mags really need the barrel to be 26 to make best use of the powder....if you get too short may as well have a 708 or 280
Bullschit.

How much "performance" is anyone seeing with a 2" of "barrel advantage". Another issue that doesn't exist or matter for jack schit.

Retube it to 30"
carbines 4life
shawties 4life
Originally Posted by 16bore
Bullschit.
How much "performance" is anyone seeing with a 2" of "barrel advantage". Another issue that doesn't exist or matter for jack schit.

Retube it to 30"

Steelhead, is that you ?

Jerry
My barrels have gradually been getting shorter. My 7mm rem mag is 24" and 23" wouldn't bother me. I find the shorter barrel much less unwieldy than the 26" and the performance difference is vastly overblown. My chronograph will show you that it's ain't a 280.
If you like it at 26" then leave it!
Many factory barrels are 24
http://rifleshooter.com/2015/04/7mm-remington-magnum-7-rem-mag-barrel-length-versus-velocity/
I have M70s in 7mm RM and 338 WM. 7mm is 24", 338 is 26". 26" almost seems better balanced in sporter stock and quieter. Shorter is nicer to carry, but 2" of barrel doesn't seem to make that much difference. In the article I liked above it says that the rifle became noticeably louder at 23" Seemed to me that 25" was the sweet spot in the test, but I don't think I'd go through the trouble and expense for an inch or two.
I had a 22" made one time and it ripped. 120ttsx at 3600 fps and 150 at 3100 fps. It was build on a tikka . One of the most accurate gun I've owned. Didn't play with anything heavier than 150 though.
If you don't want enough barrel to burn all that powder, and have the full advantage of a mag, get a .280 Rem.
I have had several Sako Mannlichers with 20" barrels. If you are at the gun range, you won't have to worry about anyone sitting real close. The move fast.

Thoughts?

I hate 26" barrels, despise them.... I'd go 24" in a hot second. That's what my 7 WSM's are. Perfect.
Cut. You'll lose 50fps max.
If the rifle shoots well I'd leave it alone.

Mine is a 24", which is as long as I want for a carry gun in a bolt action.

Then what's the problem ?

Jerry
© 24hourcampfire