Home
All my old rifles are getting to heavy. I turned 70 last year, and have a bad Knee from the Army. Possible surgery next month. I,m thinking
a lighter rifle would help. The lightest rifle I have now is a Ruger M77 in 270WSM with a 2X7 Nikon Monarch scope. It weighs about 2lb.
less than my other rifles. I,m thinking Tika 3Tx, Light weight 6 lug Weatherby , or Kimber Hunter. I,m not crazy about the M77 with those
fat shells. Not as smooth a action as my model 70,s and Weatherby Vanguards. I was thinking 30/06 as I don,t have that Cal. What advice
do you guys have?
A Tikka is never a bad idea. My 25-06 is a pleasure to shoot, but a 30-06 would be at the top of the cartridge range that I would want in that light of a rifle. I prefer light recoiling cartridges in light rifles. I've got a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 that I also really like. With the same scope and rings as the Tikka, it weighs just a couple of oz more. It is just as accurate as the Tikka for a lot less money.
CLR?
Browning X-bolt, mine is very light and the ergonomics are nice.
CLR,NULA,Barrett.
Kimber Montana
Tikka T-3 Lite. 30-06. Never a hicup. Shoots great out of the box. With scope and sling around 6.5 lbs. Inexpensive too.
The Kimber Ascent is insanely light but who would want to shoot something that light?
If you have not shot a real lightweight you may want to try shooting one in 06 before committing. For myself about 7lbs scoped is really as light as I'd want a 30-06 and what stock it had on it would play a significant part in deciding if even that was a bit much.
I love my Savage lightweight hunter. It's proving to be pleasingly accurate and it's a joy to handle. The price is right too. 30-06 in a lightweight rifle will get your attention when you pull the trigger. For a not too light lightweight look at the Ruger ultralight 30-06 that CDNN has for $499. I have one and it's manageable. Dressed out with a scope it's about 7.5 pounds. Not super accurate, but certainly deer accurate.
For me personally, '06 level recoil in a 7 lb rifle is too much. Lot's of nice lightweight rifles chambered in 7-08, 6.5cm and 243 out there.
Kimber MT in Creedmoor or 7-08.

"Light" (sub 7lbs all-up) and "30-06" aren't my idea of fun anymore, and I'm younger than 70.
Weatherby Mark V Six Lug ULW 5 3/4 LBS
I bought my 30-06 here on the fire sent it to
Hired Gun also here for complete Cerakote and Micro-Slick
With Leupold FX-3 6x42 with Custom Shop German # 4
Is the best option for this OLD REDNECK from bama!
AMRA
Unless I just wanted to spend more money one of the Ruger Americans in any of the short action calbers will come in under 7 lbs with a Leupold scope. The 7-08 or 308 won't beat you up in a rifle that light. You'll never notice the difference in performance compared to 30-06 which will beat you up in a 7 lb rifle.

Can't say a bad thing about the Tikka. In fact it might be a smidge more accurate, but we'd be talking fractions of an inch in group sizes. The Ruger is just as good IMO for a lot less money in a hunting rifle. If my goal were tiny groups at long range I'd give the edge to Tikka..

The Kimbers are great rifles, I have one in 308. Mine is just a hair under 6 lbs including scope. Recoil is exactly the same as a 7.5-8 lb 30-06, which ain't too bad. The mechanical accuracy of the rifle is every bit as good as anything I own, but I simply shoot something around 7 lbs better. I've chased light weight since a backpack hunt in the 1970's with a 9 lb rifle. The Kimber is a great choice where every ounce counts. But as a general purpose rifle I find a weight of 7-7.5 lbs to be a good compromise.
If deer is the biggest animal then a 243 is plenty I think but if you want to step it up a bit he 7-08 is a great choice. As to which brand you will have to handle them and figure out which fits you best which will help with the recoil. Tikka is great but it seems to be a waste to have a short action cartridge in a long action, I would look at a Sako finnlight or an A7. My dad just did what you are wanting to last year and went to a 243 finnlight which he uses for everything. Light and compact, fits him excellent and little recoil.
If you like vanguards, you could check out the vanguard back country/wilderness.
I guess I'll be "that guy" and suggest a low serial number forbes.
I am now 70 and bought a Kimber M84 in 7mm-08 for the same reason. I have hunted with it for two years and love it. It weighs about 6.25 lb with sling and scope. Great gun!!! Don't get too heavy a caliber for a light weight rifle.
I agree with Jerry. If going light, keep it 7mm-08, 6.5Creed, or something along those lines. I've had a couple 7mm-08 rifles that went under 7lbs scoped, and while they were fairly shootable, I'd really not want any more recoil in a package like that that.
This
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...tion/model-70-featherweight-compact.html

This
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/HawkeyeCompact/models.html

And this
http://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter
I've got a Ruger M77 Mk II RL 30-06 that is reasonably weighted. Thinking of selling it.
I am in almost the same boat minus 10 years but banged up from when I was an immortal kid and fond of doing stupid stuff for fun.

I would think about a light stock for the Ruger if you can ever warm up to being a Chubby Chaser. A Ruger can be slicked up nicely with a little honing and maybe some NP3 or other slick coating. I did this to a M70 Featherweight 270 WSM and really like it now ( it didn't need the coating ).

I also like my Forbes and CLR/NULA both handle nicely. But one thing that comes with being a Geezer in addition to lower stamina are two other PITA things that can happen. Your tolerance for recoil may drop and your hold may not be as steady as it was when you were younger. Combine this with less sharp eyesight and a medium weight rifle may be a better choice than a real fly weight. Just my thought everyone is different.

All of the given choices are good but I would drop down to a .308 rather than the 30-06 just in case the other old timers conditions set in later.
tikka for the win. you re load? how about good ol 270 win.
I have a tikka 06 and its a pleasure to shoot. pharmseller had a NIB T3 06 stainless fluted for sale.
I turn 73 in a couple of months with chronic tendonitis in knees, shoulders, elbows and wrists so I have to pace myself. My solution is a Kimber 84L in 270. Recoil with a 150 g. bullet at 3,000 fps is crisp. The rifle with scope, sling and 4 rounds is 6 lb. 10 oz. When shot alternately with my 7MM Rem Mag with 175 grain bullets at about the same velocity, it is my perception that the 270 comes back a little faster but no harder. But the 7 Mag weighs 2 lbs more. For me the Kimber stock works very well and while I would not like any more recoil (thoughts of a 30-06 in that rifle make me blanch!) and I've toyed with the idea of having it re barreled to 7X57. Given my age, I won't. I like a 24" barrel because of the reduced muzzle blast, otherwise would have bought a 7MM-08.

The next lightest rifle I own is a 7.5 lb. 30-06 and I would not like it any lighter. I have other rifles with scope that weigh 7 3/4 pounds, but add sling and a magazine full of cartridges and they go over 8 lbs. It is noticeably easier for me to carry the Kimber especially on steep slopes and thick brush.

It is a personal decision that only you can make because we all differ in size, strength, agility, endurance and ailments due to age. All others can do is offer what seems to work for them; but only you can sort though the advice and make the decision the best applies to you.
I'd recommend a T3 in .270. Light weight, plenty of power for most North American game, relatively mild recoil, and you might as well have a long action cartridge if you're getting a long action rifle. The .270 should kick significantly less than the .30-06 in that platform.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
If you have not shot a real lightweight you may want to try shooting one in 06 before committing. For myself about 7lbs scoped is really as light as I'd want a 30-06 and what stock it had on it would play a significant part in deciding if even that was a bit much.

You're right! .........I have a 35Whelen that is a tad over 7# scoped. It does require a bit more attention when firing at the bench.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I love my Savage lightweight hunter. It's proving to be pleasingly accurate and it's a joy to handle. The price is right too.

That is an excellent suggestion. That Savage Lightweight Hunter is one of the best lightweight deals out there right now.
Been there, done that, with a whelen. At something less than 8lb scoped full power 250 grain loads were "enough".
I've got a T3 Lite in 308 and a T3x Lite in 30-06. They're cheap and they shoot well without a lot of the tuning that some other rifles seem to need. Load development on mine was pretty straightforward, especially with the 308.

But with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x42 in Warne rings on a Picatinny rail and a sling, it's really close to 8 pounds. The 30-06 is OK at that weight and I wouldn't want it any lighter. I much prefer to shoot the 308 at that weight.

Okie John
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Been there, done that, with a whelen. At something less than 8lb scoped full power 250 grain loads were "enough".

I was tweaking 250 Hornady (2500+) and 225 TSX (2700+) loads this afternoon in a 7#, 12 oz Whelen.

... maybe that explains my headache...

Originally Posted by JMR40
Unless I just wanted to spend more money one of the Ruger Americans in any of the short action calbers will come in under 7 lbs with a Leupold scope. The 7-08 or 308 won't beat you up in a rifle that light. You'll never notice the difference in performance compared to 30-06 which will beat you up in a 7 lb rifle.

I'd also suggest taking a long look at this setup. While I'm certainly a fan of the Marlin X7 bolt guns, the RAR is lighter. I set up a .308 this winter with Weaver rings and a VX1 2-7. I can't decide whether I like most that it's light & points like a setter, that it prints small groups with Federal blue box 150's, or that it was < $400, all-up.

That being said, I'd not dissuade you from considering a Kimber if it's in your budget. A sample of 1 has given me the opinion that their stock design does an excellent job of dealing with recoil for my particular body.

Let us know what you decide on.

FC
GunTruck50,

You said "advise" so here goes mine. I would forget the .30-06 because it kicks too hard for what one gets. The six lug Weatherby sounds good because I like the "three" lug concept over the two lug idea. I would go with a .243 or .260 or 6.5 something if they make it. If I was going with a two lug rifle I would go with the Savage. They make a 5.5 pounder.
I would go with the Tikka T3 in 7/08 or 308 depending on your cartridge preference, there is minimal difference in recoil between the two, I am old and have shot so much high-power silhouette that I have become recoil sensitive and can appreciate a little less recoil. Although if you are only shooting deer or antelope consider a 243 or 260, they both work great in my experience.

The reason for the Tikka is that are pretty much a "plug and play" rifle, put a scope on it, adjust the trigger if you like (easily done - one screw), then go out and kill stuff. I have owned a lot of rifles in my life and none have impressed me as much as Tikka's, they are a great value for the dollar, I currently own four and the only thing close to them are my Cooper's but they are a lot more money.

drover
I would go with either the Tikka or Kimber Montana in .243. Ain't much in North America can stand a good hit by one.

g
I like the idea of the old rem700 Titanium 22" in .270win pushing lighter recoiling mono-metals.

it would scope out to approx. 6.5lb if using a Lpld 2.5-8x36 with steel 2pc mounts.
I would suggest as already mentioned and step down from 06 to 7mm08. a 18" model 7 is 6.5#. Have you considered a single shot like a CVA? They are around 5.2#
I'm turning 78 this fall and also found I wanted a lighter primary rifle. Did a lot of comparisons for a year and worked a trade for 270 Win Kimber Montana. Fast, deadly, accurate, lightweight. As previously stated the Kimber stock helps with recoil. The 270 is fantastic shooting lightweight mono's or almost anything 130 grain. I think I did that's the best I could do. Love it.
If you want light weight you may be looking for low recoil too, I'd get a Kimber Montana in 243 Winchester and stoke it with 100 gr Partitions at an easy 2850 fps, a nice matte finish 2-7 Leupold in Talley lightweight's would finish the package.
The 243 Kimber Montana with a 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest weighs 12.5 lbs.

The 12.5 lb weight shown above is wrong!

That rifle weighed 6:13 5/8 lb on my US postal scale just now!
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 243 Kimber Montana with a 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest weighs 12.5 lbs.

WOW that must be a heavy scope smile
G T

I haven't read other responses so maybe I'll be redundant.

I've had a Tikka T 3 Lite since 2003 and hunt it a lot. It ain't pretty in appearance but pretty is as pretty does.
I never consider selling/trading it.

Jerry
My dad is 8 years ahead of you. He transitioned from a Browning Stainless Stalker in .30-06 to a stainless Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 three years ago.

[Linked Image]

He hasn't missed a beat.

P
Great picture! Send a copy to each of his OLD friends.
To keep recoil down without sacrificing performance, consider a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creed. Then have Melvin build you a NULA while you are still young enough to enjoy it.
Originally Posted by Turk1961
Great picture! Send a copy to each of his OLD friends.

One shot at 225 yards 2015 opening day. The bull walked about 90 feet and fell over. 140 gr Accubond.

P
OP definitely needs a sendero in .300 win mag.
The 7mm-08 even works on elk with a single Ballistic Tip. Who knew...

[Linked Image]
Well, I'm 79 and while I still use 8 to 8.5 pound rifles most of the time, I've gone to a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7x57 for most of my hunting. I can load it up to 7-08 velocity without any problem and the rifle is light enough that it doesn't break down my arches in the field. The rifle has proven accurate with just about everything I've run through it. I'm also playing with a Ruger #1A in 7x57 plus a custom FN Mauser I have put together a few years back. Both of those rifles are also in 7x47. The ruger is probably 7.5 pounds andd the Mauser I'd guess a bit over eight pounds. I'd guess the M70 is 7 pounds even as it is the lightest of the three.
I do have a custom Steyr Mauser in .308 that was an experiment on how light I could go. Five pounds even with scope, sling and full magazine. Hardest gun I have ever shot regarding accuracy. Just can't hold it still. Too light for sure.
I also have a Danzig Mauser that was rebarreled by P.O. Ackley in .270 that must not weigh more than 6, maybe 6.5 pounds. A real pre-war style Mauser than needs the proper scope mount to make complete. Otherwise my gunsmith will have to fill in eight screw holes and a large hole on the rear receiver ring before he can properlu drill and tap for a modern scope rig. Then do a new bolt handle and put a scope usable safety on the gun. My guess would be maybe 7 to 7.5 pounds when done. Many dollars to accomplish. Wonder if I'll live long enough to get that job done.
Oh well, my money'd on the M70 Feathereight in 7x57. I do have a Pachmeyr pad on mine for my wife's comfort for when she was able to hunt with me. My other Featherweight in in .257 Roberts. Love 'em both.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by GunTruck50
All my old rifles are getting to heavy. I turned 70 last year, and have a bad Knee from the Army. Possible surgery next month. I,m thinking
a lighter rifle would help. The lightest rifle I have now is a Ruger M77 in 270WSM with a 2X7 Nikon Monarch scope. It weighs about 2lb.
less than my other rifles. I,m thinking Tika 3Tx, Light weight 6 lug Weatherby , or Kimber Hunter. I,m not crazy about the M77 with those
fat shells. Not as smooth a action as my model 70,s and Weatherby Vanguards. I was thinking 30/06 as I don,t have that Cal. What advice
do you guys have?

Watch your scope weight. Light rifle with big ass scope defeats the purpose of light rifle. Seen it done. smile
My Dad turns 80 this year, he went the lightweight route a few years ago with two:

Ruger 77 RL tang version in 257 Roberts
Montana 84M Montana 7mm-08

The 7mm-08 gets carried when he's walking a ways or during bad weather, even whacked a Dall Sheep with it when he was 73. He's never really warmed up to the Ruger.

If he's sitting, he has an Ithaca LSA-65 in 270 that he has the most confidence in and usually goes with him. Not a bad choice either, it's probably in the 7 - 7.5 lb range.

But if you can shoot a Ruger in a WSM off the bench and it weighs 2 lbs less than your other rifles, you can do pretty much what you want! Used Colt Light Rifles would be a good place to look, 30-06 is the most common caliber, and are more budget conscious. Of the rifles you listed, the Kimber would be my choice.
Originally Posted by Bisley
Browning X-bolt, mine is very light and the ergonomics are nice.

Another vote for the X-Bolt. I have the Stainless Stalker in 30-06 and the recoil isn't very noticeable. Good ergos and recoil pad. As has been said, a .308 or 7-08 would kick even less.
Originally Posted by Brad
The 7mm-08 even works on elk with a single Ballistic Tip. Who knew...

[Linked Image]

If you keep shooting the first bull you see you'll never get a big one.

P
I have a Savage lightweight hunter in .308. About as light as I want to go unless I was to go down in caliber.
If I were to do it over I would get a NULA in 6.5x55 or possibly a model 20 in 6.5x284 and be done with it. But then there is the 6.5x55 AI that is a great round if you don't mind fire forming. Any of the 6.5's would be ideal.
One man's pussycat is another man's mule. I have found stock fit is the main determining factor in perceived recoil. Tikka stocks fit me so poorly that shooting a T3 Lite in 308 was simply punishing. However, shooting a skeleton stock Ruger 30-06 with heavy loads seemed almost pleasant. Find a good rifle under 7lbs bare that fits your properly, preferably in 7mm-08 or similar and you will have found what you are looking for.
Originally Posted by Tejano
If I were to do it over I would get a NULA in 6.5x55 or possibly a model 20 in 6.5x284 and be done with it. But then there is the 6.5x55 AI that is a great round if you don't mind fire forming. Any of the 6.5's would be ideal.

IMO - Reloading is required for performance in the Swede

I know Other opinions vary.

Jerry
I have two fairly light rifles; a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 Win Mag and a Tikka T3 7mm-08. Both are easy to carry, whether chasing elk in CO or deer hunting in SD or elsewhere. One of the most balanced rifles I own, is a heavier Ruger All Weather M77 short action 358 Win.

Just my opinion, but a good balanced rifle, sometimes trumps a lighter rifle, especially when strapped to a backpack. I use a Crooked Horn Gun Commander on my packs for carrying my rifles. The ability to quickly adjust it's position on my pack's shoulder strap makes a huge difference in comfort, regardless of which pack I use. By the way, I'm an older hunter (soon will be 66 yrs old) with a bad back, nerve damage in one leg and an arthritic knee on the other. Getting old sucks, but it sure makes one creative in finding comfortable ways to hunt.
At 72 going on 73, with a bum shoulder from a rough surgery in '06 that took 18 months of rehab to regain 75/80% mobility I am finally giving up on the idea that I am still 10 feet tall and bulletproof when it comes to rifle recoil.

So...I've been letting my fingers do the hard work on the keyboard shopping possible alternatives. Back after the shoulder surgery and the beginnings of the recovery I bought a T3 Lite SS 270, and proceeded to load up my usual maxmax 270's loads and the lil gun shot 'em all in one hole, but the side of my face, neck and shoulder turned black and blue by the time I got home and freaked the wife, from the plavix I'd forgotten about did that when I was least expecting it. The T3 Lite weighed 6lb's 2 oz's and the all up with a Burris FF II was about 7lbs 4oz's . I know it was the T3 Lite that did the dirty deed 'cause I'd been shooting a 9.3x62 CZ 550 & 300WMg M70 Classic tupperware off the bench and never felt a thing even with the big Winnies loads reduced by 3 grains & the 9.3 & a max load of 270gr'ers had never bruised me even right after the 4 stent's were put in....just pushed me around a little. A PAST pad helps in bench work too.

So for a solution, I went and found one of the last T3 6.5 Swedes left from the 1st shipment in the Gander Mtn system about 150 miles from home and was a happy camper...as the Hunter Grade wood stocked rifles weigh 6 5/8ths lbs bare nekkid and the stock fit me like it was made for me personally. 47+r's of RL19 loads under a 6.5 120gr Sierra PH's & 130gr NAB's roll Texas WTails just like the T3Lite 270 I had done for years in Max'ed 130's did..and never left a mark on me.

Fast forward to today ...I had already bought a T3 Hunter 260 last year realizing that I am winding down in my hunting career and swapped off all of the belted boomers, then just picked up one of the last of Whittakers 6.5 Swede Superlites, and last fall had backed into a XTR M70 7x57 Fwt too, and am just now putting the rigs together to go spend some quality time at the range. I trust one or all 3 of these rigs will get the job done on anything I can get a crosshair on without any issue's.

Hope this'll give you some ideas about how I addressed the same issues you are facing. FWIW I just spent some rainy day time earlier this week in Europtics website looking at their T3 closeouts & specs...all the T3 & T3x wood stocked Forests & Hunters weigh 6lb 13oz's for almost all of the calibers still left. The Swede's in both wood stock styles also weigh the same @ 6lb 5/8's and the T3 7Rmg and 270WSM's weigh 7lbs even as I recall....a downloaded 7Rmg at beginning powder levels in the Nosler online manual, and give about the same MV's as a 6 3/4lb M70 Fwt 280 too...and IMO would make a good choice if you can take the small increase in recoil over the 7-08 & 7x57's.

So, 6.5s & 7-08's (about 50 fps faster than a 7x57 with about the same load) is where I would suggest you concentrate. until you decide what other options you want to follow...however with better bullet choices than any of the smaller diameter shooters. 6.5's & 7mm's are where I am going to go for a "long term" solution...but then I did do a Texas Management Lottery Hunt one time with a 86 year old wearing a pacemaker that filled his tag complete using a 250 Savage so I KNOW that it can be done.
Ron

I love my Kimber Montana but if I had my druthers and could get the permission of my wife, Id order up a NULA.
I hope to turn eighty in September. I was much of a man until at seventy two, I lost my heart rhythm. Two cardioversions and a pacemaker later, has changed the way I hunt. Fortunately, I already had two lighter rifles in the safe. A matched pair of Browning Safaris in 243 and 308, built on the small ring FN Mauser wearing pencil barrels. Of the two, my favorite is the 308 wearing a 4X Zeiss. If the 308 becomes a bit much, I have confidence in the 243 loaded with 95 or 100 Nosler partitions.

Part of my problem is defective heart valves. I can't get enough blood flow to get in hunting shape anymore. Chasing desert mule deer in the foot hills is no longer feasible. The Brownings are a bit lighter than the Winchester featherweight's, but that is no longer much of an issue. Texas legal, my hunting vehicle is a Kawasaki Mule, equipped for hunting. Most of my hunting now is from a box stand overlooking a feeder, food plot, water, or all three. I sometimes take the Mule to a remote place then build an improvised hide or stand. Food plots, water and game trails usually dictate where. For this purpose, I'm glad that I kept most of my standard rifles. All the magnums are long gone. Since my carry distance is short, I find an old Browning BAR Gd III to be welcome. Due to weight and the gas system, the 30-06 doesn't bruise me up. Due to a life sentence of blood thinners, a 20 ga shotgun that does not produce unpleasant recoil never the less, leaves me bruised. Not so with the BAR.

It sounds like you are not otherwise handicapped. My suggestion to you is a T3 in something between 243 and 7-08. If elk are on the agenda, go 7-08. Keep one or two of your standard guns. If you get to where walking is no fun, weight is not critical, they may become useful again.

Modern bullet construction has put lighter calibers on steroids.

Best wishes,

Jack
In the Free Classifieds, Onpoint has a Tikka T3 SS .308 for sale $585. NIB. Might want to look at that.
Forgot to add the easy cure for my T3 270 Lite's bite was to get rid of the truck tire non slip butt pad on the T3's, and pickup a ready fit Limbsaver. Just use a bit of vaseline on the shaft of a #2 Phillips head screwdriver to keep from tearing the soft Limbsaver screw holes, and spend 5-10 minutes for the changeover...the difference in felt recoil is mindboggling. I still felt the 270 Lite's jump, but the owie pinch factor was all gone and had no more bruising anywhere.

That 1st T3 Swede HunterGrade was left deadstock and had so little felt recoil I prolly could have shot it off my forehead with no ill effect....and would expect a 7-08 to be the same. It'll be interesting to see if the new T3 Superlite Swede will need some Limbsaver help, but I doubt it, and I am planning on it becoming my everyday allday go to critter gitter
Ron
Here's what I got for my newest son-in-law. The cdnn specs say 7.5lbs but that is the weight for the walnut stocked version. I suspect the weight is about .6.5 lbs.as my 16.1" Ruger Scout .308 Win is 6.25 lbs per Ruger.

Hated to ship it off to my son-in-law as I really enjoyed the way it handled and shot. (SOMEBODY has to mount the scope and zero it...) smile

20" .30-06, all Weather M77, $499.99

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.WSoXUGjyuUk.
As the owner of a really bad back and a T3 6.5X55 and a ruger Ultralight 257Roberts, I'll advise to avoid rifles that became light by using a pencil-thin barrel. The T3 is easy to shoot accurately, the UL Ruger came with a long learning curve.
Tikka. T3 superlight in 7-08, 270, 30-06 etc. Mine is a '06
verhoozits

Pardon me for not quoting you. I'd like to comment on just a small part of your post. I don't intend or mean to be critical in the least.

You said the 'plavix' caused the bruising on your face, neck & shoulder. I didn't know about that side affect so I'll make a mental note. I've been on the generic of that and haven't had those 'assets', I'll be watching close, thnx.

Also I've had a T 3 Lite S S 270 since 2003 and the recoil hasn't been that noticeable to me. However I guess I'm somewhat recoil insensitive.
One of my fav rifles is a Win 70 Black Shadow in 300 WM. YEP it has recoil but I've killed quite a few deer with it. It's a pleasure to carry and hunt it so ...For Whatever Reason recoil doesn't bother me as it does others --so far.

I'm glad you found a solution in more than having to stop shooting. Keep on the firing line.

BTW I'm 67 yo.

Good Luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by Wyogal
In the Free Classifieds, Onpoint has a Tikka T3 SS .308 for sale $585. NIB. Might want to look at that.

Sounds like a great price to me. I gave @ 550.00 for mine in 2003. At the time they were not readily available in my area. I had to have it ordered so I didn't get to price haggle. The only diff is mine is 270.

Jerry
My 98 with heavy barrel an Leupold 3.5x10 must weigh close to 10 pounds loaded and slung. I'll be 69 in late August and hardly notice the weight. And it shoots great! Off the handlebars of the ATV or windscreen of the sno go. smile

For walkabout l take the .260 Rem 725 with 2-7 Leupold... smile
I would suggest a Weatherby Ultralight or a Tikka Superlight. The Weatherby's are both 30-06 and I usually shoot 150's or 165's, if you think the recoil might be too much I believe they are made in 308, 270 and 7-08. My SL is a 308 and doesn't kick much. For a scope I like the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36, some of the guys on here like a Leupold fixed 6x. Good luck!
Jwall..."Plavix" was a registered protected trade name that has now moved into a generic status under the name "Clopidogrel"., and is a anti clotting agent and NOT a blood thinner as I had thought initially. Only downside I've found is that I am no longer eligible to donate blood, with the anti clotting agent in daily use.

A common side effect with no other side effects expected, I was told in 2009 when I opted to try 4 stents instead of a Triple By Pass, included easy and extensive brusing that would take weeks or even months to fade when they occurred.

Daily consumption of OTC Tumeric aka Circumin which is the active ingredient, has been the only thing I've found that helps to clear up or prevent this bruising. as tumeric is an circulation enhancement herb among other things, including help with arhritus and gout.

Gout is another form of arthritus according to Dallas Cowboy legend Emmitt Smith. My gouty right big toe joint is half the size it was before starting Tumeric in '11, and has regained most of it's rotational ability too, with frequent "pops" of the joint as it releases tension.
Ron

Originally Posted by Sako76
I would suggest a Weatherby Ultralight or a Tikka Superlight. The Weatherby's are both 30-06 and I usually shoot 150's or 165's, if you think the recoil might be too much I believe they are made in 308, 270 and 7-08. My SL is a 308 and doesn't kick much. For a scope I like the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36, some of the guys on here like a Leupold fixed 6x. Good luck!

I'm going to second the Weatherby. I'm only 64 years old, pretty good sized and in great shape, so I don't feel like I have any physical limitations. However, I happen to like the Wby ULW, mine's in .257. Not the very lightest but for a long rifle, balances well and the stock design is the best. It directs recoil away from your face and puts your eye where it belongs on a scoped rifle. It has it's detractors, to be sure but I suspect that few have actually fired one. A couple years ago, I had the same rifle in 7mm Wby mag and it was still pleasant to fire, even from the bench. I often wish I had the 7mm back. Accuracy with the ones I've owned was exceptional.

The other thing I'd suggest, if you feel you have physical limitations is to take the money you'd spend on a doctor (or a new rifle), hire a knowledgable trainer and get a gym membership. You might surprise yourself. I rehabilitated my right shoulder at the gym, slowly and carefully, after being told it needed surgery.
This was said before, but the Ruger American is hard to beat. I have the Stainless version in 7mm-08, 22 inch barrel. Around 6.5 pounds without the scope, very easy to handle and shoots the 162 grain Hornady ELD-x into one hole. Some complain about the stock, but I have no problems with it. I did end up ordering a compact stock to replace the standard stock as I require a shorter length of pull.
Sounds to me like you need a Tika T3.
I have the Hunter model with wood stock.
The wood stock makes all the plastic parts tolerable.
Fischer, the surgical damge to my shoulder was the result of a large 23oz non malignant tumor being removed from the side of my neck, and during the removal of the tumors roots from my spine, all 5 major nerve trunks coming out of my head and into my upper back and spine were cut or torn in 2006. I had wrongy presumed the rampant uncontrollable skin cancer on my face had spread to the side of my neck, becme concerned with losing the big house to medical bills and we sold off the big house in North Dallas and any extras that would not fit in storage and moved to the lake cabin to get ready for the Last Roundup.

The next spring my neighbor talked me into enrolling in the VA ,to claim whatever benfits I had coming , for my wife to use after I was gone...and Dallas VA started cutting on me aggressively for a couple years, 5 major surgeries and lots of little ones for various stuff over the next 11 years. At the VA in Dallas you are a living cadaver for their Dr's to practice their learning curve on.

3 of those operations were sucessful as planned, but 2 of them gave me major permanent damage issues I did not have previously as a result. ..and again sold the lake cabin that was a planned keeper in retirement and moved out of the Dallas VA Service Area to escape their Quality of Services. .

Following the tumor surgeryin Fall '06 My PT Mgr's hour long survey with a muscle stimulatorin Spring '07 resulted in her original diagnosis of my condition as a Life Time Upper Right Quadrant Cripple, that later was changed after the 18 month rehab effort, and having about 75-80% mobility and functional strength when she said she couldn't so anything more for me. Lots of work went into that 18 month effort, with 3 unrelated Pain Dr's sending me 5 different kinds of unlimited quantity's of opiods as I ordered them, but 11 years later at 72 going on 73 the local County VA Service Officer has recently certified me to apply for muliple cause's of DV status from the work done in the 2 failed procedures, that was the final result at Dallas VA Hospital, that left me more damaged than I was before they worked on me. That's where I am today.

Since you are now at about the same age I was at 64 when I started having mutliple surgeries or procedures for different stuff, you will be amazed at how fast you will deteriorate when you get past 70-72. I've lost more mobility and strength in the last 3 years than I have in the last 10-15 years.
Ron .
FG +1 on the wood stocked Tikka's being Lil' Red Riding Hood just right weight wise at a scootch under 7lbs bare nekkid. Most of 'em I saw in Europtics site spec sheets weighed 6lb 13 oz's in either Hunter Grades or Forest Grades, with a 7Rmg Forest at 7lbs even and the 270WSM Hunter at the same 7lb weight. Interestingly both of the 6.5Swedes weighed the same at a little less, 6lb's 5/8'th's. according to the sperc sheets in each caliber.

Also looked hard recently at BACO M70 Fwt's and the short actions come in about 6 3/4's and the LA's about 7lb's even from what I remember. Dinnit look at the Sporters though.
Ron
Originally Posted by verhoositz
FG +1 on the wood stocked Tikka's being Lil' Red Riding Hood just right weight wise at a scootch under 7lbs bare nekkid. Most of 'em I saw in Europtics site spec sheets weighed 6lb 13 oz's in either Hunter Grades or Forest Grades, with a 7Rmg Forest at 7lbs even and the 270WSM Hunter at the same 7lb weight. Interestingly both of the 6.5Swedes weighed the same at a little less, 6lb's 5/8'th's. according to the sperc sheets in each caliber.

Also looked hard recently at BACO M70 Fwt's and the short actions come in about 6 3/4's and the LA's about 7lb's even from what I remember. Dinnit look at the Sporters though.
Ron

The 6lb 13oz is what my Mark V 6 lug weighs with a Bushnell 4200 4-16X 40.
verhoositz - sounds like you've been through it. Sorry for your troubles. My wife has tried to get me to use the VA, but that's an "over my dead body" deal. My point was a general one. I've had a couple of the surgeries you talk about, right front trapezoid, under the collar bone. I'm lucky though, just a little asymmetry. Anyway, my point was that most folks could benefit by getting in shape and then carry whatever rifle they want. I also hunt with a BAR and it's not light. I can hump it all over the place all day long. There are people a lot older than me at my gym; my trainer works with a married couple who are 85 & 83 years old. I see them there, working hard and looking surprisingly good. I see guys in wheelchairs, guys missing limbs, etc. I've also gotten myself completely off blood pressure meds, by going to the gym 3-4 times a week and leaving everything right there. I had several TIAs and a heart attack, all while under a "doctor's" care. I'm done with that crap. Getting in shape and eating clean fixed all of that and I don't take any prescription meds. So, don't write yourself off. I still think you could surprise yourself. Oh, and I still recommend the Wby ULW, perhaps in a standard caliber, like 7mm-08. A pound lighter and still has that great stock. Not a bad looking rifle either.
I know that lots of VA hospitals deserve to get a bad rap, but there are exceptions, the CenTex VA Sytem based in Temple & Waco is IMO one of those too rare exceptions.

The reason I moved was to get into Temple VA's System and access to their primary resource for their national quality specialty Dr's at the Scott& White HQ location in Temple, 6 blocks away, and they work hand in glove with each other from my experiences.
Ron
Truck,
I just turned 72 and get what your saying. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 and it is a very smooth operating and accurate rifle, as accurate as my Vanguard or M700 except lighter. Great barrel and trigger. I think you would enjoy one of these a lot.

Here's the thing about Tikka, the recoil pads are crap. When you take the screws out and remove the pad you will notice it is a hard plastic material partitioned in a way that you can see the plastic is almost as deep as the total pad thickness. These factory pads are simply plastic and covered with a thin approximately 1/8 " thin veneer of rubber!

The good news, you can buy a "Limbsaver" recoil pad made to fit perfectly from Brownell's or Midway and it will turn your Tikka into a very comfortable rifle, even in 30-06 or larger caliber.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Verhoositz, you sound like me, all my loads are as hot as is safe according to Quick load. I have 270s, 7mm mag, 257 Roberts, 270 WSM, 22-250, and a 338 mag.
all of them the heavy model except the 270 WSM Ruger. Last week I looked at the Tikka T3x, the Kimber, and couple of others at Sportmans Warehouse.
I like the Weatherbys but haven,t seen one. Got to check out the ULW and Weathermark. I guess I could download the short mag, but have not tried. I
do have several light scopes, so that's a start. Forgot to mention I had both Shoulders done, one 4 years ago and one 2 years ago. I think I may look
at a few rifles in 7mm-08. I,m retired military so I have Tri-care, and go to my local clinic. I do get my hearing aids from the VA. Got my Elk in 2016
with Vanguard S2 270 Winchester shooting 150gr Partitions and Norma MRP 59.2gr. I only put in for a Mule deer tag in Colorado this year had 7 preference
points so hope to get a tag, 3rd season.
Originally Posted by verhoositz
I know that lots of VA hospitals deserve to get a bad rap, but there are exceptions, the CenTex VA Sytem based in Temple & Waco is IMO one of those too rare exceptions.

I wanted to echo that the Temple/Waco VA system is incredible. My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2007 and passed away in 2010 including the last 2 months in the hospital (2 stints in ICU). His care was exceptional and other than the last 2 months his quality of life was incredible. He even got a second opinion from one of the leading oncology doctors at MD Anderson who flat out said the VA treatment program was as good as what he would have gotten anywhere.

Also, I would like to thank all of you gentlemen for sharing your stories and renewing my desire to hunt. I haven't hunted much since my dad passed away, but decided I needed to get back to it. I am looking to do Elk next year and Africa within 5 years. Because that involves lot more walking than traditional stand hunting in Texas, I think light is the way to go. I am already an ultralight hiking devotee (even using tarps instead of tents), so ultralight makes sense to me. I am going to trade in my 7x57 Steyr M Professional for a Fieldcraft 308 this year and stick a 10oz Leupold FX2 6x36 fixed power scope on it. All up should be just over 6 pounds fully loaded and not a lot of recoil.
How are the Sako M85 Finnlight? Still looking a 7mm-08. Just have not taken to that M77 Ruger in my safe. I,m afraid anything Hotter will be
to much like what I have. I can shoot the 257 Roberts all day and the 270 but both are a little on the heavy side. May go down to 130gr
accubonds for deer hunting with the 270.
Originally Posted by GunTruck50
How are the Sako M85 Finnlight? Still looking a 7mm-08. Just have not taken to that M77 Ruger in my safe. I,m afraid anything Hotter will be
to much like what I have. I can shoot the 257 Roberts all day and the 270 but both are a little on the heavy side. May go down to 130gr
accubonds for deer hunting with the 270.

The Finnlight is OK, but for close to the same money I would try the Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Barrett has a better stock, is lighter,no Sako dovetail to complicate life,and is likely just as accurate. Recoil won't be an issue with a 7-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor.
I will look at the Barrett Fieldcraft.
I turned 70 in Jan. Last year I quit using a heavy Model 700 in 7 Mag on Elk (which I'd used for 35 years) and went to a Ruger American Compact in 7MM-08. Mine is stainless and Left Handed. I mounted a 2X7 Redfield Revolution with steel mounts and the whole thing is 7 lbs. Not only that, but the rifle is around 37" long with its 18" barrel.--- very handy. I get right at 2800 fps with a 140 grain Partition.
So many great lightweight rifles available today! My short list is as follows, choose based on your available budget just how Uber light you want to go and stock fit.

NULA
Barrett Fieldcraft
Kimber Montana, Mountain Ascent ect.
Savage Lightweight Hunter
Tikka Superlite

For me personally the CLR/NULA hybrid is the perfect answer all up weight 7lbs 3ounces (rifle scope ammo sling) the stock fits me so well and they are the most consistently accurate rifles with multiple loads.

A step down big time in price I like Tikkas and put up with their factory stock. One day I might get a McMillian for my superlite.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
So many great lightweight rifles available today! My short list is as follows, choose based on your available budget just how Uber light you want to go and stock fit.

NULA
Barrett Fieldcraft
Kimber Montana, Mountain Ascent ect.
Savage Lightweight Hunter
Tikka Superlite

For me personally the CLR/NULA hybrid is the perfect answer all up weight 7lbs 3ounces (rifle scope ammo sling) the stock fits me so well and they are the most consistently accurate rifles with multiple loads.

A step down big time in price I like Tikkas and put up with their factory stock. One day I might get a McMillian for my superlite.

Pretty good list Matt. Are McMillans available for the Savage? The position of the last 2 may be debatable, but other than that I would completely agree with you. I wish I would have bought a NULA 20 years ago and skipped everything I've bought since. I bought a very early Forbes last year,one of the first 20 made, and it is excellent in every way.I still want a NULA but I don't see how it could be 4 times as good as this Forbes.I'm afraid I would only get a lot better fit and finish for my money.
I like the T3 over the savage personally mainly bc of how boringly accurate they are. I'm not sure about McMillians for savage lightweight hunters...

The best value imo is to find a used Colt Light Rifle and send it to Melvin for his NULA conversion. ~$500 for the CLR and about $650 for Melvin's famous stock, bedding trigger and something else I'm forgetting at the moment.

I'd love a full blown NULA but can't justify the price considering how good his hybrids fit me and perform.

I,m loading some 270 WSM loads today that use 110gr Barnes TTSX bullets to lessen recoil. Added a Limbsaver pad
last fall. Only trouble with weatherby is I can,t find where they make a 7mm-08 cal. Is there a Mark V in that cal. ?

Shot the Ruger 270WSM Sunday, the Best load/ most accurate was 59gr of RL19 at 3057fps with 130gr Barnes TTSX. Recoil was ok
and accuracy was very good. Some of the hotter loads were around 3150fps with slower powders like MRP,and RL23. Didn, try RL26.
Got about 3300fps with the 110gr Barnes TTSX, bad accuracy, 1.5 to 2" at 100yards. Going to try Superformance with the 110gr and the
130gr TTSX. I like my hunting loads to shoot under 1 inch at a 100 yards. Thanks for all your help. Going back and look at several rifles
again.
© 24hourcampfire