Home
Posted By: MarkFed Need to stop casual browsing! - 06/15/17
I had nothing going on at work today so I decided to extend my lunch a short while to swing by my LGS. Last time I was in there I saw an old savage 340 deluxe in .22 Hornet which I should gab bought at their $149 asking price. To my dismay it was gone, as I expected. But..........as I browsed something jumped out at me. A minty Winchester 70 Featherweight Classic in stainless steel with a very nice DARK walnut stock chambered in 6.5x55!

On top of that, literally, was a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 sitting in leupold mounts. The mounts had a little bit of light oxidation but everything else looked to be "AS NEW". After talking to a friend behind the gun counter I was told that the original owner had purchased it there, had them mount the scope, took it home and put it away. Now the owned is in his later years and turning guns into cash.

Needless to say this one came home with me. Perhaps a couple pennies more than I was planning to spend if the Hornet had still been on the shelf but I was VERY happy to find this one. Also, I must say, I was very happy with the price that I paid. Hopefully this rig shoots as well as it looks.
Great classic combo there!
Nice find! What did you end up paying? I have seen only a few of these sell and they have gone for $1,300-$1,600 without the fine scope yours came with.
$900 out the door with a hard plastic case included, no tax and no background check fee.
Sounds to me like a good result - so why stop?
NICE! I had the same thing happen to me when I found my M70 Featherweight Classic 6.5x55.. Don't worry too much about it shooting, mine has been very good with just about anything I have put through it. Congrats on the score!
killer deal! Post Pics if you can.
I will try to get some pics in good light. The stock is so dark that you can hardly see the figure with pics taken indoors.
Great score!
I hear ya. I gotta steer clear of the pawn/gun stores. Just bought a 6.5x55 Swede. Got a 7mm Mauser on lay a way.
Pictures or it didn't happen! laugh
Here she is!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Need to stop casual browsing! - 06/17/17
Very nice!

Your casual browsing paid off well!

Guy
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Those things are no damn good.

Send it to me at once for proper disposal.
Nice looking rifle, how does she shoot?.....Hb
Posted By: jk16 Re: Need to stop casual browsing! - 06/18/17
Yeah..I'd say THAT rig cost you a few pennies more than $149..;)

Nice setup. Enjoy it.
i have a stevens 325 in 22hornet i might see fit to trade ya.
that FW stock just turns my crank. the rest of the rifle just makes my engine race!
That was a great find. I really like everything about that gun and the 6.5x55 is a great round to shoot. Have had great results with the 4350's and IMR 7828 ssc in particular, honestly almost any powder in that range is going to give you excellent results.
Sweet,

Geno
Love seeing 'rescue' guns! Good find and a beauty of a rifle.
Definitely a looker, thanks for sharing the photos!
© 24hourcampfire