Home
Posted By: OkieShooter Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
Anyone have one of these. Thinking about getting one but haven't seen one to put my hands on it.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
I have had two, a 30-06 and a 7-08. Both were the LSS version. I think now they come in a 'glas stock so this might not be true anymore, but in the laminate stock they are seriously butt-heavy rifles.

My '06 was a 2 MOA rifle and so it was rebarreled. My 7-08 is a shooter and I went all-in on it in terms of lightening it up.

It's arguable that you'd be better off spending a few more $$ and buying a Kimber. Flame suit on.
Posted By: jwall Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

It's arguable that you'd be better off spending a few more $$ and buying a Kimber. Flame suit on.

OR

Less $$$ and buy a Tikka T3X Lite

Jerry
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
I'll go along with the Tikka recommendation, but if you are dead set on the Remington, get it! Ive handled them and like them..and Im a Remington fan. Big Time. I even have a stock off one of the mountain rifles on my 6.8 cause I like the ergos.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
Had one of the recent ones with the B&C stock, in 270. It shot well as long as you did not try more than a couple shots at a time. Well being solidly into an inch with a few different 130 bullets. It was a little light up front so offhand was a bit more of a challenge, fwiw. I had no issues with the rifle, but it did not speak to me so went down the road.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
If you like Remingtons and the ergos of the stock, then they are a very good gun.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/09/17
I have several of the older stainless mtn guns. Damn fine accurate rifles. As stated earlier they are ass heavy and need a light stock.
Posted By: Sillyak Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
I have owned one in 7mm08 for two years. Remington's website is wrong. The LA are 6.5 lbs, but the SA are 6.25 lbs. The B&C stock weighs 34 oz so the rifle is quite butt heavy with the skinny mountain contour barrel.

I sold the B&C stock and bought a Wildcat Composites stock that finished at 19.8 oz with pad, paint and bedding. Now the rifle is 5 lbs 6.3 oz bare.

It's nice that Remington has the option for the skinny barrel from factory, and while the B&C stock is stiff and strong, it is way too heavy for a mountain rifle. The good thing is they are easy to sell as a take off and there are lightweight options out there that can make the rifle really nice and light.

With the heavy B&C:
[Linked Image]

With the Wildcat:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OkieShooter Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
Well I was looking at the .308 win. so will be a short action. Had hopes that the B&C stock would fit it better than the older laminated stock of the LSS. Am a Remington fan from way back and am pretty sold on this one. Try not to take many offhand shots as there are way too many trees to get a rest against here where I'm at.
Originally Posted by OkieShooter
Well I was looking at the .308 win. so will be a short action. Had hopes that the B&C stock would fit it better than the older laminated stock of the LSS. Am a Remington fan from way back and am pretty sold on this one. Try not to take many offhand shots as there are way too many trees to get a rest against here where I'm at.

The B&C is a good stock. It is solid, stiff, tough, grippy and has an aluminum bedding block (still need to bed it like any rifle IMO). It's just fairly heavy. If that's not an issue have at er.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
I've got one in 7-08. Stainless with the B&C stock, about 50 rounds fired thru it. Very nice handling rifle, and not to bad a shooter. For some reason, I just don't use it anymore. I'm thinking about putting it up for sale.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
Originally Posted by Sillyak
\Wildcat Composites stock that finished at 19.8 oz with pad, paint and bedding. Now the rifle is 5 lbs 6.3 oz bare.

With the Wildcat:
[Linked Image]

Could you describe the Wildcat a bit more (more pics maybe?), what did you do to finish it, what pad, etc? It looks very nice for such a light stock.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
I've had mine, a stainless 30/06 with the laminated stock, for 14 years and to me it balances well. When I check my 'scope I usually just shoot pairs and they are usually inside 3/4".

When I first got it and boresighted it, the vertical looked good but I gave it about 8 clicks to the right. The first shots were 2" high and 1" right. Back 4 clicks left and sight in was done. I love it when that happens.
http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

My blank (sanded and filled) was 17.2 oz. As I say it finished at 19.8 oz. I had a gunsmith do the fitting, bedding, painting and swivel install. I don't know what he uses for paint, but I like it. I did the recoil pad myself and this is where I saved an ounce or two. Don't laugh but this has been a recent trend on a Canadian gun fourm I am on, as it makes a very light and functional recoil pad. It's just a plain black flip flop sandal cut and sanded to shape and epoxied on.

As for Wildcat, they are a smaller business so they don't have as many blanks or options like the big manufacturers, but they are very light, strong and stiff. They don't feel cheap or hollow and the ergonomics/design are very well thought out. They are well regarded by knowledgeable members of the Canadian firearms community. In my experience, they are better than a McEdge. Ergonomics can be subjective; but, they are certainly lighter and are just as strong.
Posted By: OkieShooter Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
The little bit of added weight of the B&C doesn't bother me as much as if the rifle balances in the hand. Looking for light but not ultra light. Don't do many backpack hunts in the part of the world I'm in. Mostly just walk from the truck and start hunting.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
IMHO, the 700 Mtn Rifle, regardless of caliber, is a tad heavy with the B&C stock. Add to that, and again, IMHO, the wrist of the B&C stock feels bulky, and makes the stock feel like a club. Replacing the B&C with a Brown Precision, Rimrock (if you can find one) or a McM in a pattern of your choosing w/edge fill is a real difference maker. DAMHIKT
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
I use a vxiii- 2X8 32mm.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
Agree with everything WiFowler said. Personally, a micky hunters edge is my favorite for weight and balance on a SA 700 MR.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Agree with everything WiFowler said. Personally, a micky hunters edge is my favorite for weight and balance on a SA 700 MR.

What would a SA weigh in an Edge with light weight bottom metal and fluted bolt and handle?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
I have SA 700 LSS-MR barreled actions installed in McM Compact and Mountain Rifle style stocks, 700 Ti stocks, and a Bansnar/HTS stock. Although the McM MR style stocks aren't edge-filled and are a little heavier, I like them the best. I prefer a raised cheekpiece on my stocks and although I don't like open, shallow radius, pistol grip geometry, I can tolerate the 700 Ti stocks.
Posted By: JPro Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
I think the only way I'd have another MR barreled action would be in a McMillan MR handle with edge fill. The Ti stocks don't work for me due to ergos. And to be honest, I'd rather have a standard SPS/BDL SS cut back to 21-22" and put in an edge, being either the Classic or MR. It'll still be light, but can balance better than the pencil tube.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/10/17
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

What would a SA weigh in an Edge with light weight bottom metal and fluted bolt and handle?

5 # 10 oz give or take depending on weight of bottom metal
Posted By: tkinak Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/11/17
I've had several, including this one ( https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12096410/3 ) the B&C stock is tolerable, until you shoulder a real quality stock. I purchased a Forbes and couldn't go back.

I recommend that mountain Guide, it's a steal! Easily worth $800 not including all the extras. Then keep an eye on the classifieds for a used Edge to show up.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/11/17
Tikka T3 superlight. Ss fluted in 30-06. That is what I have
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/11/17
Originally Posted by Fotis
Tikka T3 superlight. Ss fluted in 30-06. That is what I have

That's what I would go with...Looking at a 7mm Rem mag at SW
Posted By: OkieShooter Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/11/17
Have looked at the tikka. May be a good rifle but I'm a Remington 700 action fan. Plus don't like magazine, one more thing to lose or forget in my opinion.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/12/17
IVe always wanted a remington mountain rifle, I dont know why. I may get one even with the gamble on their QC just to scratch the itch.
Posted By: jwall Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/12/17
Okie -

I've been hunting a T 3 since 2003. Magazine (clip) has never come loose or dropped out.
It's made secure.
I understand the 700s, I have and like them too.
Good Luck

Jerry
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/12/17
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I have had two, a 30-06 and a 7-08. Both were the LSS version. I think now they come in a 'glas stock so this might not be true anymore, but in the laminate stock they are seriously butt-heavy rifles.

My '06 was a 2 MOA rifle and so it was rebarreled. My 7-08 is a shooter and I went all-in on it in terms of lightening it up.

Jeff,

The current M700's are generally more accurate than the M700's of the laminate stock era. Have a friend with a current Mtn rifle/synthetic in 280 and it shoots 160 NPt's into an inch.
And that was 5 rounds.

Casey
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/12/17
Originally Posted by Sillyak
http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

I did the recoil pad myself and this is where I saved an ounce or two. Don't laugh but this has been a recent trend on a Canadian gun fourm I am on, as it makes a very light and functional recoil pad. It's just a plain black flip flop sandal cut and sanded to shape and epoxied on.

The flip flop recoil pad was practically invented here on the Campfire over a decade ago. It's all I have on my serious hunting rifles.............

Casey
Posted By: woodson Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/13/17
Using the McMillan MR edge stock will be what I use for all my builds going forward.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/16/17
I've got a stainless MR .308 that I bought new about three years ago. Didn't really care for the fullness of the B.C. stock in the grip area or the forearm. Replaced it with a McMillan MR stock that I bought off a member here, much better fit for me and my favorite stock design by far.

The base holes are evidently out of line . The first set of base, ring were cheapo's that I had on hand and the Leup maxed out on windage. I forget to which side. Then I tried a set of Talley lightweights with the same result. After that I went to Leup windage adjustables and worked around the problem.

Never did get serious about working up a load for it, just tried some I had on hand and maybe put a couple different ones together to try. Best as I remember all loads tried were around 1" or a little over at 100 yards for three shots.

Only killed one deer with it so far. The shot was a long one, every bit of 20 yards or so. Guilt edged accuracy wasn't really a concern. smile
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/19/17
I have a Remington LSS in 280 and it shoots 3/4" all day long with a 140 Barnes TTSX. I sold a buddy of mine a NIB 308 and it's a one hole rifle with 185 Bergers! I have yet to see a Remington that doesn't shoot!
Posted By: GeoW Re: Rem. 700 mountain ss - 07/19/17
Swampy?
© 24hourcampfire