Home
Putting price aside, which would you choose if someone told you they were buying? 6.5 Creedmoor only.

You opinions and reasons are VERY welcome grin
Barrett if it was a gift because it seems to excel everywhere that the Tikka is a compromise.
And where would the Kimber Montana fit into the equation?
The Barrett is a much more expensive rifle, these two are really hard to compare fairly....There are things I like about both rifles, I like the Tikka for its short bolt throw and very convenient drop out magazine (I hate a blind magazine rifle) I am also a whore for a flutted barrel and unlike most guy's I like the checkered tupperware stock as I have owned a pile of rifles with these and never had a single issue....On the other hand the Barrett has a 90 degree bolt lift and a blind magazine and I am not crazy about either but the Fieldcraft is American made and fit and finish on the one I saw was superb, but it is a $1600 rifle so I would opt for a Tkka T3X Superlite and doctor it up with Mountain Tactical bottom metal and stainless action screws then a stainless bolt shroud from Glades Armoury, Heck I could even add Talley lightweight ringmounts and a brand new Leupold VX i 3.5-10x40 and still be in just under the price a Barrett fieldcraft rifle bare.........Hb
Originally Posted by huntsonora
And where would the Kimber Montana fit into the equation?

Drum...you probably already know my opinion of Kimber rifles, and Im sure you know my opinion of Tikka Superlights wink

There is no comparison....Tikka, hands down.
price is not a consideration

just quality and mainly Accuracy
You guys have expressed my self imposed issues, but I did go ahead and pre-order a Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM.

My last experience with a Tikka was not a good one and I did not expect to buy another, but I have changed my mind with this offering. As they say, "one more time".

donsm70
This is what I'm going for. shortaction has a great deal lining us up for the tikka. this being said, he also, I'm sure has 21" Barrett's on order.

so , cost out the window which one would YOU choose?
I have both in 308 and I much prefer the stock and trigger on the fieldcraft. I ordered the fieldcraft in 6.5 cm and liked it so well I ordered the .308 with a 18" barrel for my suppressor. I plan on getting a third in 6.5x55 as soon as it's in stock at Whittakers. I think the tikkas are a great value if the stock works for you.
Cost no issue, Barrett for me.
That's the first good answer, Thanks DD
Apples to oranges, but no price difference would be Barrett.
ok this is what I was thinking.

what size groups with the tikka
Barrett.

Zero doubt.

A Tikka in a McM Edge would start adding doubt, but the Barrett would still be out front.
Thanks Higbean
Originally Posted by donsm70
You guys have expressed my self imposed issues, but I did go ahead and pre-order a Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM.

My last experience with a Tikka was not a good one and I did not expect to buy another, but I have changed my mind with this offering. As they say, "one more time".

donsm70

What was the problem with your last Tikka? Did Beretta get it resolved?
Different animals, but both great in their categories. We can't get the Superlite's (currently) and I'm a huge Barrett fan. My Tikka in 6.5 is a CTR, but I have a Lite coming from the preorders. My Barrett is a 7-08 and the fit/finish is excellent. The Barrett is more of a semi custom. Without ever shooting a production Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor (and I'm guessing nobody on here has either!), I'm going to say accuracy is a push between the two rifles. And without knowing the new COAL in the newly designed Tikka magazine, I'm still giving Barrett the nod with the 3" mag box.

I think the Barrett is a "nicer" rifle, but I'm a huge Tikka fan. I'd give the nod to Barret in this comparison.

Or just do what I'm doing and buy both!
Find these one brand vs another brand question completely stupid. The price points are so far apart it's stupid. If you like what you like who cares what others think. Then throwing in the Kimber later is questionable. I love blonds you might like redheads so what.
thanks for your input sidepass////even though it was useless
As was your question. Two rifles separated by a $1000.00 are two different animals. The Tikka performs much better than it should for it's price. And my Kimbers perform up to my expections which is high. Just my honest opinion, have both Tikka and Kimbers in my safe no Barrett yet.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

What was the problem with your last Tikka? Did Beretta get it resolved?

I ordered a 6.5x55 Swede from Whittakers and ended up trading it for a 308 Win before I even received it. I did not care for the 308 Win and sold it.

I will give the Tikka in 6.5 CM one more chance.

donsm70
As was your question.
I have a Barrett in 6.5 Creed and a Kimber Montana in 223. I like both but the Barrett is plug and play. The trigger is adjusted, its superbly bedded, and test fired. I also like the more closed grip on the stock. Tikka's are great shooters and a lower price point but IMO the discerning shooter with some extra $ would always go Barrett.
IMO if it's a tool, get the Tikka. If you really like rifles, get the Barrett.
I own both. A Barrett in 6.5 and a Tikka T3X Super Lite in 308. Do you want to spend $700 or $1,700? They both are superbly accurate. Metal work on both is flawless. The stock on the Tikka is ok, not bad enough that I would justify spending another $600 on a McMillan edge. At that point might as well buy the Barrett. One thing, at least IMO is that Tikka stocks SUCK when it comes to recoil. I swear they all magnify it. I also have a T3 Super Lite in 7mm-08 and was shooting it side by side with my Barrett. Both it and the 308 felt like 338's next to the Barrett. They do not absorb recoil well and really need a Limbsaver added. The design of the Barrett stock just soaks up recoil. I've shot a Barrett in 30-06 and felt it kicked less than a Tikka in 7mm-08. The Barretts also lighter.

As for Kimber Montana's, I've had a bunch. I love them. What I don't love is that sometimes you have to do a little extra work out of the box to tweak them. Also, the controlled round feed is sexy and all that, but I've never really NEEDED it. I'm not hunting grizzlies or shooting upside down and don't plan too.
Thanks STS45
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
I have a Barrett in 6.5 Creed and a Kimber Montana in 223. I like both but the Barrett is plug and play. The trigger is adjusted, its superbly bedded, and test fired. I also like the more closed grip on the stock. Tikka's are great shooters and a lower price point but IMO the discerning shooter with some extra $ would always go Barrett.

This would be a deal killer, for me. I handled a Forbes briefly, and this was the reason I didn't look back.
© 24hourcampfire