Hawkeye .275 Rigby
Posted By: Zengela Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Nice, but $1300 is a bit much.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Now that is a gorgeous factory rifle.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
spendy for a factory 7X57 Mauser
Posted By: evans1010 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Not sure on Saturday price but Ruger retails are usually plenty high.
Posted By: tzone Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Well I like the rifle a lot. I'd not pay $1300 for it, but Ruger rifles are usually sold for quite a bit less than MSRP.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Yeah, that's just MSRP. There are two on gunbroker right now, one with a starting bid of $900 (899.99) but an unknown reserve and one with a fixed price of $1,005.93.

With just 250 made they could maintain that circa $1,000 price tag or some dealers could sell lower than that. I'd like to see what someone like Whittaker's would charge. And if they don't sell they could be pretty heavily discounted. Ruger #1's had an MSRP of over $1400 but those models that didn't sell out can be had for $900 or so.

But pricey or not, that's still a really nice looking rifle. Kudos to Lipsey's for ordering it.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Think of it as the answer to the Win super grade
Posted By: deflave Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Pretty cool as far as the 7X57 is concerned.

Not sure how you'd find something similar for less.

Dave
Posted By: 308ld Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I agree, but I would have to see the piece of wood before I put my money down. Plane Jane won't cut it at that price.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
Perfect.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/03/17
I am in!
Posted By: EdM Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Not many factory 7x57's made these days Sam. I am good with the Wisner built Swede and Walther Mauser.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by 308ld

Dave

I agree, but I would have to see the piece of wood before I put my money down. Plane Jane won't cut it at that price.

I'm selling more than buying these days, but I agree with 308ld. That's a hefty price tag for a Ruger with plain wood.

donsm70
Posted By: kingston Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Not many factory 7x57's made these days Sam. I am good with the Wisner built Swede and Walther Mauser.

Ruger made these for the rest of us.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
I LOVE the look of that rifle, and I'd bet it feels just as good. But as hunting goes, my 22" #1A is way too handy.
Not that owning 2, .275's (7x57, 7mm Mauser, a rose by any other name) would be a bad thing, or that practicality should get in the way of such decisions........

I could have bought a Winchester push feed FWT about 18 years ago for the princely sum of $300.00. Was saving for a boat at the time. Still kicking my own a**.
Even with the #1, it sorta left me with a 7 Mauser bolt gun fetish.......
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
Pretty.

Who else thinks Ruger should start offering those sights as an option again on all their CFs?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
Me!

Although realistically they would add a cost most people wouldn't want to pay since most folks would never use them. But I sure hope this limited run sells out so that Lipsey's would be encouraged to expand the offerings to other calibers and, dare I hope, some LH offerings as well. I'd buy one of those, particularly with a nice slender 24" barrel, long before I'd plunk down money for a fugly heavyweight FTW or an ear blasting 16" .308 scout rifle. If they sell enough perhaps Ruger could offer a "super grade" type line as a standard feature.

I know the younger crowd is overwhelmingly buying tactical and precision type rifles but I hope there will always be a market for a fine handling and fine looking classic hunting rifle.
Posted By: las Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
And they still have that lousy Ruger butt pad. First thing I would change, even if it is only a 7X57.

Not to worry tho- that thing is 800$ above of the price I'd pay for any rifle.

Well, maybe for a Win FWT, I'd go higher.
Nice rifle.

Bringing back the tang safety is a nice touch, as is the barrel band.

Is it also controlled round feed, or have they gone back to push feed?

Winchester resurrected the 7x57 in 2014 with a Supergrade featherweight version. Built about 160 of them. I bought one here on the 'Fire.

The only issue might be the .275 Rigby marking. Some countries will inspect the headstamp on your ammunition to verify that it matches the rifle you brought. If you happen to bring ammunition marked 7x57, they might make an issue of it. Trying to explain to a customs inspector that the .275 Rigby and 7x57 are the exact same cartridge could get tiresome. Just saying....
Posted By: ringworm Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
I think I'd rather have. 20" RAR in 7-08 And enough cash for a scope and a pig hunt.
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
ringworm - $1300 is a bit pricey. However, it would sure look nice next to my 9.3 X 62mm Hawkeye 'African'...sort of like its younger brother. Both the 9.3 and .275 Rigby are classic's. Homesteader
Posted By: Benben Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/04/17
No tang safety on this; still the 3 position wing.
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Well crap - just stopped at the local fun store to see if they knew anything about this one. They pulled up Lipsey's site and said there are 78 available and did I want to order one. Now there should be 77 available and I was told it should be here on Tuesday. They made it too damn easy...
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
JGray - "They made it too damn easy... " I know that feeling and so does my wife - LOL. Homesteader
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17

Dave

Exactly
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Does it come in stainless?
Posted By: deflave Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by JGray
Well crap - just stopped at the local fun store to see if they knew anything about this one. They pulled up Lipsey's site and said there are 78 available and did I want to order one. Now there should be 77 available and I was told it should be here on Tuesday. They made it too damn easy...

Hahaha. I managed to keep rolling past the gun shop yesterday but I was tempted. I still have dies and brass from the last 7X57 I owned.

Tempting.

Dave
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

Bringing back the tang safety is a nice touch.

Might be due for glasses.

Dave

This would be true if your last gun purchase was in the early nineties.

The standard African's retail for $1,279.00.

Clark
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
... Now there should be 77 available and I was told it should be here on Tuesday. They made it too damn easy...

Yep ... 76 ...

This would be true if your last gun purchase was in the early nineties.

The standard African's retail for $1,279.00.

Clark

This one is about $100 more than I paid for my Hawkeye African 9.3x62 a number of years back which doesn't seem out of line.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Has anyone ever seen a Ruger 77 Hawkeye African in 223 Remington?
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Ingwe has one.

Dave
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... Now there should be 77 available and I was told it should be here on Tuesday. They made it too damn easy...

Yep ... 76 ...

You bastards...

Clark
I think this .275 would generate a lot more pleasure and value over a period of years than a high end custom costing 5-8 times as much.
It will also assist in teaching a rifleman to stalk his prey and enjoy "hunting".
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Ingwe has one.

Dave

They are fun to shoot. With the extra weight they have hardly no felt recoil. Kind of like shooting a 22 LR.

I bought one maybe 7 years ago. No idea why, but it is unique and fun.

You won't regret it. Not only an instant classic, but a hunting rifle you will use and enjoy.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Wow! Thank you!
Originally Posted by Homesteader
...it would sure look nice next to my 9.3 X 62mm Hawkeye 'African'...sort of like its younger brother. Both the 9.3 and .275 Rigby are classic's. Homesteader

I had the exact same thought...
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

You won't regret it. Not only an instant classic, but a hunting rifle you will use and enjoy.

When trying to decide which rifle to hunt with on any given day, I'm worse than a girl trying to pick an outfit to wear. This should make it easier (for this fall, at least).
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Only 250 available, I just ordered one.from Don's Hobby guns for $930
Ouch - that's a better price than I got.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Cash price was $939. Have never owned a 7x57. Was pondering one of the SS RSI's chambered .275 Rigby on GB. This solved the dilemma. NECG Peep enroute as well.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Really nice looking rifle, but the stock cross bolt is totally unnecessary. Not worth the time and effort to install, particularly so on a light rifle. But, if you do install one, at least do it right and time the screw slots properly.

Jeff
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Cash price was $939. Have never owned a 7x57. Was pondering one of the SS RSI's chambered .275 Rigby on GB. This solved the dilemma. NECG Peep enroute as well.

I think you'll like that NECG sight. It's unobtrusive and fits the profile of the rifle. Another nice thing I've found is that if you remove it and then remount it so the screw slot is in the same position it comes back to zero. I've switched this off and on about three times now to do some load workup with a scope and then plink at 200 yard steel with the peep. It might not return to exactly .000" on but I'm not seeing any POI changes I can blame on the sight, plus I can't hold +- .000" variance from string to string with a peep sight anyway. wink

Hawkeye weight varies but based on a few samples I'd guess yours will run around 7 to maybe 7 1/4 lbs without a scope. Not a flyweight but not unduly heavy either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow...a beautiful rifle. And I don't see the price being out of line when compared with other wood/blued steel well made rifles, especially in a limited run production. Has the lower end rifles had such an effect on the prices of all firearms that when a rifle like this comes along that we believe it to be priced too high?
Jim,

You done good on that one.

Dave
Posted By: kingston Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
I try to avoid ordering wood stocked guns without seeing them first.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Or,have one made with the wood you picked out for the stock. But,that will cost more than $1300.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but c'mon, folks, this is a mass produced Ruger with a street price in the lower $900 range, not $1300. They aren't Miller/Biesen/Echols Custom Gunmaker Guild pieces. Sure it's a bit more than your average Model 70 or Model 700 standard but it's also a good bit less than an MRC 1999 ASR with a really plain jane Boyd's stock that retails for somewhere close to $1100 (MSRP $1364 for comparison) and which will weigh decidedly closer to 8 pounds w/o scope than 7. People are picking this thing apart because it's not guaranteed to have AAA walnut with the features of a hand made custom while at the same time costing close to a RAR. If we could still pay machinists 35 cents/hour we could still get hand made rifles for $200, but that's not realistic.

Rugers are what Rugers are - tough, working firearms (rifles and revolvers) that can be very attractive pieces. Heck, folks pay smiths $1000 or sometimes a lot more to turn Blackhawks into works of art. The M77's aren't as refined as some but they are a lot tougher and less prone to issues than some others made these days. If you know how to use a file or a stone their triggers can be easily rendered to a crisp 3 pound pull, and their out of the box accuracy is still sufficient for all but the most demanding super long range hunter. I had an unaltered straight out of the box M77 .308 out this morning for first load work up and the very first four shots out of this rifle went into .720" with three of those in .496" - that's with the issued 6 pound creepy trigger and speed bump. And while the wood isn't anything to write home about it's not plain at all, it's a decent piece of straight grained walnut with a damn sight more personality that my 1999 ASR with a stock and finish that looks like Walmart office furniture.

I think Lipsey's did real good with the classic design of this rifle at a price that most anyone can afford - those that want one. The folks that get these rifles are going to be really proud of them and you won't see too many on the used gun market any time soon.
Very well spoken, Jim in Idaho.

Some people would bitch at their own hanging unless the rope was the finest available and was bought for cheap.

The age of the RAR and others like them have caused a lot of people to lose sight of what a nice looking and well made factory rifle looks like and costs in today's world. This is just my opinion, but I'd rather spend $900+ for a nice looking rife as opposed to spending $500 for something that might shoot good but looks cheap.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/05/17
I've got one headed my way.
Anticipation is a good thing!
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but c'mon, folks, this is a mass produced Ruger with a street price in the lower $900 range, not $1300. They aren't Miller/Biesen/Echols Custom Gunmaker Guild pieces. Sure it's a bit more than your average Model 70 or Model 700 standard but it's also a good bit less than an MRC 1999 ASR with a really plain jane Boyd's stock that retails for somewhere close to $1100 (MSRP $1364 for comparison) and which will weigh decidedly closer to 8 pounds w/o scope than 7. People are picking this thing apart because it's not guaranteed to have AAA walnut with the features of a hand made custom while at the same time costing close to a RAR. If we could still pay machinists 35 cents/hour we could still get hand made rifles for $200, but that's not realistic.

Rugers are what Rugers are - tough, working firearms (rifles and revolvers) that can be very attractive pieces. Heck, folks pay smiths $1000 or sometimes a lot more to turn Blackhawks into works of art. The M77's aren't as refined as some but they are a lot tougher and less prone to issues than some others made these days. If you know how to use a file or a stone their triggers can be easily rendered to a crisp 3 pound pull, and their out of the box accuracy is still sufficient for all but the most demanding super long range hunter. I had an unaltered straight out of the box M77 .308 out this morning for first load work up and the very first four shots out of this rifle went into .720" with three of those in .496" - that's with the issued 6 pound creepy trigger and speed bump. And while the wood isn't anything to write home about it's not plain at all, it's a decent piece of straight grained walnut with a damn sight more personality that my 1999 ASR with a stock and finish that looks like Walmart office furniture.

I think Lipsey's did real good with the classic design of this rifle at a price that most anyone can afford - those that want one. The folks that get these rifles are going to be really proud of them and you won't see too many on the used gun market any time soon.

I'd also be willing to bet these Lipsey exclusive's look A-OK.

Dave
Posted By: kingston Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
Granted some are going to have super sexy wood, I want to ensure I get one of those. laugh
Posted By: deflave Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
Lord knows you love wood.

Dave
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
TMI
Originally Posted by kingston
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]

Boooooolschit.

Dave
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
I'm a simple old public servant on a pension, but I am thinking that this is a rifle that it definitely worth having.
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
That is one good looking gun, with a fair price tag, even at suggested retail.

With a street price around $900, I'm in. smile
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]

Nice wood.
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]

Boooooolschit.

Dave

Truth.

When Numerich bought Ruger's inventory of Gold Label stocks, they refused to select or match up a set, but had a generous return policy. I ordered dozens of butt stocks and forends, in three separate orders. I selected the best butt stocks and then sought to match forends to them. The stock pictured above is what inspired successive reorders. I wound up ordering every forend they had and couldn't find anything even close. I had so many stocks I opted to drive them back to Numerich rather than pay for the shipping and insurance. After all that work, I wound up keeping the best five sets thinking I'd pass the extras on to a few fellow Gold Label fans.

I still have yet to fit a set on my gun.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good job on the Hawkeye. I've had one prior NECG peep on a 77/375 that went to the oldest daughter a few years ago. A couple questions on your Hawkeye: (1) Did you have to change the front blade to regulate the peep ? (2) Whose ventilated front hood did you use ? NECG standard or masterpiece ? Or ???
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
The rifle was bought used and came with the NECG Masterpiece banded ramp with a silver bead already installed. I ordered the ghost ring rear separately. Couldn't tell you off the top of my head how high the ramp is but the peep regulated properly with the existing .276" high bead. I like to plink at a 12x12 piece of steel at 200 yards with a 6 o'clock hold that puts the bullet 6" high at 200 and the rear sight had plenty of elevation adjustment to get me there with room to spare. The silver bead had some glare in varying light so it was replaced with a 1.5mm firesight also .276" high. The hood is the NECG Masterpiece banded ramp "window" hood. Generally I take the hood off for shooting since the sight picture gets too busy but transport the rifle with hood on to protect the somewhat fragile plastic sight element. It goes on easily and is locked in tight with the detent on the ramp but can be removed with a moderate push of my thumb.

NECG makes very good stuff and all told the prices for the bigger items are pretty reasonable for the quality you get - especially compared to some other company's products and prices - but IMO they really ding you on replacement beads with a nickel and dime thrown in for shipping - over $8 to ship a .2 ounce bead. Even that said, the beads are made with the same quality as the rest of their products. I've ordered and installed two replacement front sights and both fit perfectly. They only needed light tapping to go in but didn't have to be filed to fit and are good and snug with zero play or looseness at all.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
I have a Lipsey Ruger African Hawkeye in 9.3x62

They are flawless with exceptional fit, finish and wood

I'd buy this new one
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger

I call dibs on this one next time you decide you need another horse. cool
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
I am interested in seeing pics when y'all start getting them in. I have a hunch these are going to sell quickly. Ruger nailed it.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am interested in seeing pics when y'all start getting them in. I have a hunch these are going to sell quickly. Ruger nailed it.

When I spoke to my FFL yesterday, he said availability was down in the 60's by the time he ordered mine on Friday afternoon.

Would love to see Lipsey's do what SAS has done and order a small percentage of their specials in Left Hand... One could hope...
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]

Boooooolschit.

Dave

Truth.

When Numerich bought Ruger's inventory of Gold Label stocks, they refused to select or match up a set, but had a generous return policy. I ordered dozens of butt stocks and forends, in three separate orders. I selected the best butt stocks and then sought to match forends to them. The stock pictured above is what inspired successive reorders. I wound up ordering every forend they had and couldn't find anything even close. I had so many stocks I opted to drive them back to Numerich rather than pay for the shipping and insurance. After all that work, I wound up keeping the best five sets thinking I'd pass the extras on to a few fellow Gold Label fans.

I still have yet to fit a set on my gun.

You wild bitch.

Dave
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Ordered mine yesterday, should be here by end of the week. smile
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
Originally Posted by elkchsr

I call dibs on this one next time you decide you need another horse. cool

I'll keep that in mind......
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/06/17
I think I'll have to get this..
Posted By: DoeSlayer Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Just got two of these for the store. The walnut is what you'd see on a standard 77. The day's of good/great wood on Ruger's are a thing of the past.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
I'm dyin' here, but 7x57 (NUMBER 6!!) is going to have to be something a bit different.
Posted By: JasonH Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
I just had my dealer order one for me. Lipsey's now has 62 left. I just couldn't turn it down.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
That is a beautiful rife! I have irons on two of my Rugers and love them.

If I was in the market for a new rifle there would be one less available. Unfortunately my Ruger .280 and 7mm RM cover the same ground and then some - except in the aesthetics.
Posted By: JasonH Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
I plan on using this rifle for hunting. Ive been trying to decide on the best scope. It is nearly impossible to find gloss finish scopes anymore. I believe Leopold still makes one or two models in gloss. Any suggestions on which make and model of scope would look right on this rifle?
Posted By: old70 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Just ordered mine. Going to try to find an fx3 6x42 in gloss for mine. Second. Choice is a vx2 3-9x. Hope the wood is decent.

Old70
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Originally Posted by JasonH
I plan on using this rifle for hunting. Ive been trying to decide on the best scope. It is nearly impossible to find gloss finish scopes anymore. I believe Leopold still makes one or two models in gloss. Any suggestions on which make and model of scope would look right on this rifle?

Mine will likely wear a Leupold 1.5-5...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Originally Posted by JasonH

Zeiss Jena in a saddle mount... wink

OR, you could go with a simple FX-II 4x32 or 6x36. Keeping with the slim lines of the rifle I wouldn't mount anything with an objective bell larger than 40mm and smaller than that would be preferable. The 1.5x5-20 isn't a bad idea if it fits the ring spacing.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Keeping with the slim lines of the rifle I wouldn't mount anything with an objective bell larger than 40mm and smaller than that would be preferable. The 1.5x5-20 isn't a bad idea if it fits the ring spacing.

I have one on a LA M70 XTR (7x57) and it fits fine. I'm not sure about the spacing on M77, though. As an aside, from what I understand, Leupold will put together a scope with a gloss finish if you ask them to.
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
Just got two of these for the store. The walnut is what you'd see on a standard 77. The day's of good/great wood on Ruger's are a thing of the past.

Gosh I hate to hear that the walnut being used on these rifles isn't at least a little better than standard issue. Have one on order now although
I may not have my hands on it for a few months. Hoping that there is a least a shot at some of them having nice furniture.
Posted By: evans1010 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer

Ahhh, Joe. You beat me at my own game...
Posted By: Autofive Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Lipsey's has one less now!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/07/17
Dirty Dogs.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/08/17
Thinking either a 1.5x5 or a straight 3x Big Bore scope. Either option with a German #4 or Post Duplex reticle. Thinking the VXR and VX6 30mm tubes might be a little too thick for a trim rifle. Will have to get the rifle in hand. Can live with a matte scope.
Posted By: old70 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/08/17
Hadn't thought of the 1.5-5x VX3, I have one on my other 7x57 that could easily move. Hmmmmm.

Old70
Posted By: sigguy Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/09/17
I am not usually a Ruger guy (except for single action revolvers), but this looks really nice. If you ordered one, please post a few pics when they show up .
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
Another one has been spoken for.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
My dealer just told me they are out of stock.

Bummer!
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
Few showing up on GB.
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
LGS just called and said they have a package from Ruger with my name on it - should have it in hand shortly...
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
Quick review for now - very nice! Walnut is straight grain though a darker, nicer color than the standard Hawkeye. It does appear more effort was put into the finish than I'm used to seeing - grain is completely filled, etc. Balances nicely - slightly muzzle heavy and overall, a pretty trim rifle. Trigger breaks clean and will not require any adjustment. It does have the Hawkeye plastic grip cap (was hoping for steel like the No. 1, but no big deal). It does have a front sling stud hole in the forend with a filler screw and includes a front sling stud in the box.

A couple boxes of Hornady 275 Rigby brass showed up today so I should be ready to shoot it this weekend. I'll try and get pics up soon but have to relearn that part with Photobucket no longer an option...
Posted By: battue Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
15 years from now-maybe sooner-good chance the .275 people who balked at the price may wish they hadn't. And it sounds like they are going, going, gone.
Posted By: old70 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
Just got a call from the LGS, mine is there, but I am TDY. Damn.
Posted By: deflave Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
Originally Posted by battue
15 years from now-maybe sooner-good chance the .275 people who balked at the price may wish they hadn't. And it sounds like they are going, going, gone.

The people that bitch about that schit didn't want one to begin with.

Dave
Posted By: kingston Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
How about some pics!

If anyone needs them posted PM me.
Posted By: dh84 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/10/17
Anyone looking for a nice 7x57. I ve a nice NIB Model 70 Supergrade light weight that I'm gunna sale. Greg. 931 808 6424. call or text me.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Mine shipped today!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
LGS just called and said they have a package from Ruger with my name on it - should have it in hand shortly...

Same... Pick mine up Saturday... Ammo and NECG Peep arrived yesterday. Anyone know if these will include rings ?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Yes, all Hawkeyes and #1's have shipped with them for several years now. They will most likely be a #4 and a #5 high rings. If you don't plan on mounting anything with an objective over 40mm you can send the #5 back and ask to trade it for a #3 but do that before you mount a scope with it so it's still unused. The 3 and 4 combo will handle 40mm scope bells for sure and maybe a tad larger, but 40mm is the largest I've ever used to be able to say with certainty.

Here is a pic from an online auction showing what's in the box:

[Linked Image]

One thing I'm noticing in the pics is the location of the rear sight, depending on how long a scope is that might crowd the bell a bit. I'm sure it will be okay for most scopes but something to think about before running out and getting a 4.5x20 target scope with turrets... wink

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
How about some pics!

If anyone needs them posted PM me.

Sorry - still fondling it and will have to report back...
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Appreciate the pictures and the feedback. Is the #3 / #4 combination the lowest set of rings? eg: if I choose to put a straight tube 1" or 30mm scope on the rifle, can they go lower ? Or, will I start having interference between the ocular bell and bolt handle? Sorry for all the questions. First Ruger in 20+ years...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
The 3/4 combo is the lowest Ruger offers, they list that pair as "Low" on the ring selector chart on shopruger.com. - it says 32mm bell but that will take a 40mm as long as it's not pushed way to the rear. I've never bought anybody else's rings so wouldn't know if Leupold or someone might offer something a tad lower. The 4 goes on the rear bridge since it is lower than the receiver ring and I've never had any interference with any standard scope ocular bell using the Ruger factory rings since most scope oculars are all a standard size no matter the objective size. Ruger does offer 30mm rings as well in a "Medium" 4/5 pair - I had called the 4/5 "high" in my previous post so my bad on that.

I've bought 7 Hawkeyes over the past several few years and just automatically swap the 5 for a 4. The 3/4 Low pair works for any 1" scope one is liable to use with a hunting type rifle - straight 4 or 6x, 3-9x40, even an old long Leupold 12x40 I use for load workup. Unless a scope has very short eye relief a 40mm bell generally ends up with about 1/8" or so clearance above the barrel, even on a magnum contour.

Ring selector chart

Posted By: tzone Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Quick review for now - very nice! Walnut is straight grain though a darker, nicer color than the standard Hawkeye. It does appear more effort was put into the finish than I'm used to seeing - grain is completely filled, etc. Balances nicely - slightly muzzle heavy and overall, a pretty trim rifle. Trigger breaks clean and will not require any adjustment. It does have the Hawkeye plastic grip cap (was hoping for steel like the No. 1, but no big deal). It does have a front sling stud hole in the forend with a filler screw and includes a front sling stud in the box.

A couple boxes of Hornady 275 Rigby brass showed up today so I should be ready to shoot it this weekend. I'll try and get pics up soon but have to relearn that part with Photobucket no longer an option...

Where did you get the brass? Is it actually .275 Rigby or 7x57?
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Originally Posted by tzone

I think all of Hornady's new 7x57 brass is headstamped 275 Rigby. Check Grafs, Midway, Midsouth, etc.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Yup,Hornady makes .275 Rigby brass.
https://www.midwayusa.com/275-rigby/br?cid=21603
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Very nice indeed. Classy , bought mine in 1976 one of the original run M77R in 7x57, wears an old KW3x Weaver. Shoots 139 gr Horn SP bullets well and 154 gr RN's exceptional has the old long throat. Are these new one's throated long or more normal? MB
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Originally Posted by tzone

It seems to be out of stock at at most places that list it, but Buffalo Arms is where I found it. It is stamped 275 Rigby...
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/11/17
Ammoseek lists Vizards and Wholesale Hunter as well.
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/12/17
Aright, mine finally shipped today. I ordered it online last Sunday. I was beginning to feel like the only kid on the block who Santa skipped putting presents under the tree for.

I'm really excited to see how the stock, balance and handling compares to my RJ Renner Pre-war M77.
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/12/17
Here's a start on pics...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/12/17
SWEET!

Thanks for that photo!

Guy
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/12/17
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Very nice indeed. Classy , bought mine in 1976 one of the original run M77R in 7x57, wears an old KW3x Weaver. Shoots 139 gr Horn SP bullets well and 154 gr RN's exceptional has the old long throat. Are these new one's throated long or more normal? MB

Looks to be a more normal throat - 160's seated to the rifling leaves the bullet bases at or just below the neck/shoulder junction. My No. 1A 7x57 is throated much longer barely holding on to a 160 seated to the rifling.
Posted By: MZ5 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/12/17
Nice rifles! Here's a potentially silly question:
How does one blue, stainless steel? Or are they welding a chrome-moly section to the back of the stainless stainless on these bolts?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/13/17
Picked mine up this afternoon. 7lbs 9oz for bare rifle. 8lbs 10oz with Ruger 3/4 rings and Leupold 2.5x8x36 on top. Have 3 flavors of factory ammo on hand. Hope to punch some paper tomorrow. Only (minor) complaint so far is heavy trigger pull. Have an Ernie spring inbound.
Posted By: sigguy Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/13/17
Thanks for the pic. It looks great.

You guys are all enablers. Mine is on the way as well!
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/13/17
Would someone mind measuring the twist? I'm curious to see if they stayed with 1:9.5 or went with the European 1.866 (1:220mm).

Thanks.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/13/17
Twist is listed as one in 8.75
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/13/17
Bolted a Leupold 2.5x8x36 on top. 10 rounds of Blue box Federal to get on target. Shots 11,12, and 13 shown below. Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr NAB. 3 shots at 100 yards. 4.5lb trigger. No barrel prep/cleaning. No excuses.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12205215#Post12205215[/img]
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/13/17
Originally Posted by Autofive
Twist is listed as one in 8.75

Thanks. I have a Zastava M98 with a 24 inch No 1 contour barrel, 1:866 inch twist. It will group 175-gr. bullets into little clusters. If you're shooting heavies in the Ruger, you'll be happy with that twist.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/14/17
I shot my new .275 Rigby/Ruger today at 50 yards, open sights. Remington 175gr pspcl from hand loads went into two inches as did hand loaded 160 grain Speer deep curls,which is about all that these 66 year old eyes can muster on most days! A Leupold 2-7 will be mounted later this week. The trigger pull is about 4 lbs. with very slight creep. All in all I'm happy with the rifle, fit and finish is very good. The gun weighs 7lb,7oz.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/15/17
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Looks to be a more normal throat - 160's seated to the rifling leaves the bullet bases at or just below the neck/shoulder junction. My No. 1A 7x57 is throated much longer barely holding on to a 160 seated to the rifling.

J Gray a buddy of mine has one of those 1A's in 7x57 it absolutely loved factory WW 175 gr RN's. I had a box and we tried them they grouped well and I gave him the box for a cow buffalo hunt , he only had to shoot once. They'll probably kill some depredation whitetail does this winter. MB
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/15/17
Sweet! I hope to see mine delivered today.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/17/17
Ok I am impressed! I am extremely happy with the wood!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/17/17
I'm very pleased with mine too! This gun is a great value. I threw a Leupold VX-3 1-5 on it, for now, and an Andy's Leather Rhodesian sling. I also ordered a #3 front ring to lower it a tad. I know you can trade 'em, but last time I did that with Ruger on a No #1 it took like a month.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/17/17
Great!
Posted By: JasonH Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/17/17
I picked mine up yesterday. I'll try to post some pics soon. The wood is about the same as the others that have been pictured. The one blemish on the whole gun is the rear sight base. It appears to be canted ever so slightly to the left if you are looking at it from above. There is at least one more on gunbroker that appears to be the same way, as there is a good picture of the rear sight from above. It isn't enough for me to bother with sending it back to ruger. I'm not going to risk getting the bluing scratched or the stock messed up when they go to "fix" it. Besides, I'm gonna put a scope on anyway and I'll probably never use the irons.

Overall it's a really nice rifle and I'm glad I picked one up.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/17/17
Went to the LGS and picked up mine yesterday. Must have been a great day for us "loonies"!
Had an FXII 6x36 begging for something to do and I obliged. Used a 3 & 4 ring set. The rifle came
w/ 4 & 5 rings. May even look for a 2 to lower the scope. Looks like there is plenty of room.
And since then the wind has blown 15 +; just the way of things. Hopefully elkchser can get
a couple pics posted for me.

I like this rifle!!!
Posted By: deflave Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/17/17
Those all look good. Congrats.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/18/17
Went to the LGS and picked up mine yesterday. Must have been a great day for us "loonies"!
Had an FXII 6x36 begging for something to do and I obliged. Used a 3 & 4 ring set. The rifle came
w/ 4 & 5 rings. May even look for a 2 to lower the scope. Looks like there is plenty of room.
And since then the wind has blown 15 +; just the way of things. Hopefully elkchser can get

I like this rifle!!!

You sleazy whore!!!
shocked

At least now you''l have a valid excuse to get rid of all those .308s....

I'm waiting for Dave to sell his .275 off, and I'll pick it up second hand...should take a month or so....... grin
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/18/17
... May even look for a 2 to lower the scope. ...

Would appreciate if you could post up if you find more than one #2 Ruger ring. Currently have a 3/4 ring set, with extra daylight under the scope. Not huge. But, pretty sure I could come down one more step. Thx...
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/18/17
Just got back from shooting mine for the first time. It's showing good accuracy potential but I'm getting misfires so didn't get to finish what I wanted to shoot. I'll strip the bolt, clean it and try again (I had the exact same issue with my Hawkeye African 9.3x62 and a good bolt scrubbing cleared it up).
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/18/17
I know there's some RJ Renner fans on the forum, and this post, so I thought I'd take a pic of the 2 side by side. It's not apples to apple as the Renner is a M77 PreWar vs. the Rigby styling.

I don't have a scale to weigh them, but, I assure you the Renner is lighter, even with the FX-3 (which looks like a Hubble compared to the VX3 1-5).

As you can see, the stock is a couple inches shorter on the Renner and quite narrower on the fore-end. The Pre-War feels much more, uh, svelte (can I use that word on a gun forum shocked?). But, to be fair, the Renners will set you back quite a bit more.

Overall I really like both rifles and won't change a thing on the Ruger African .275 other than switch out the matte 1-5 with a gloss VX3 1-5.

I like it enough I'm going to delay having a M77 turned into a Faux Rigby by RJ.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 308ld Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/19/17
... May even look for a 2 to lower the scope. ...

Would appreciate if you could post up if you find more than one #2 Ruger ring. Currently have a 3/4 ring set, with extra daylight under the scope. Not huge. But, pretty sure I could come down one more step. Thx...

The lowest ring Ruger makes is a #3.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/19/17

I like this rifle!!!

Better late than never!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/19/17
Nice rifle.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/19/17
very nice!
Posted By: Disseminator Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/20/17
That is one nice looking rifle. Must resist new rifle purchase.......
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Interesting new .275 - 08/20/17
Thank you elkchser!!!

I resisted for a little while......
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/05/17
Just got a text from Cabela's- "New Gun of the Week." I'm not sure what, if any, differences there are from the "Lipsey’s Exclusive Ruger 77 African 275 Rigby."

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-HAWKEYE-CLASSIC/2582291.uts?slotId=0
Posted By: JEC Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/06/17
Same rifle, they just now put theirs on the shelf.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/06/17
Originally Posted by skeen
Just got a text from Cabela's- "New Gun of the Week." I'm not sure what, if any, differences there are from the "Lipsey’s Exclusive Ruger 77 African 275 Rigby."

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-HAWKEYE-CLASSIC/2582291.uts?slotId=0

Sweet looking rig.
Posted By: PS1080 Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/24/17
Has anyone found a 160gr. Load they like yet. Mine shoots great with 130gr. Speer fat bases, but it doesn't like my 160gr partition load I shoot in my Whitworth 7x57.
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/24/17
The best shooting load I've found for mine is 50.0 H4831 with 160 Accubond - right around 1 MOA or a bit better.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/24/17
Yup
49.6 gr. Reloader19 and 160 gr. Nosler Partitions.
1 DOA 5pt. bull elk 2 230 yds.
Posted By: JGray Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/24/17
...1 DOA 5pt. bull elk 2 230 yds.

Excellent! You didn't waste any time getting it broken in - hope to do same with mine soon...
Posted By: hanco Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/24/17
Good looking rifle!!
Posted By: PS1080 Re: Interesting new .275 - 10/24/17
Thanks for the information and report. I have a cow elk tag I'm wanting to fill with this rifle(I'm reserving the bull tag for the 300H&H) plus my deer tags. I'm hoping to get to shoot tomorrow if the wind cooperates.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Interesting new .275 - 06/18/18
There is one of these sitting on Gunbroker right now, NIB and the bid now stands at $1750. Man, I should have bought three or four when Darrik could get them for $950 each!
Posted By: PS1080 Re: Interesting new .275 - 06/20/18
No way I would sell mine for 1750$. Last year I shot 10 pigs,4 deer, 1 cow elk, and a coyote with mine. I really like this rifle. The 7x57 and 160gr accubond are awesome. I can't wait to take it to Namibia.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Interesting new .275 - 06/20/18
I have a limited run Lipsay's Ruger African Hawkey in 9.3x62 that I would sell.

It would be a great match to that Rigby
Posted By: skeen Re: Interesting new .275 - 06/20/18
Originally Posted by PS1080
No way I would sell mine for 1750$. Last year I shot 10 pigs,4 deer, 1 cow elk, and a coyote with mine. I really like this rifle. The 7x57 and 160gr accubond are awesome. I can't wait to take it to Namibia.

I got one around here, somewhere, unfired and in the box. If anyone wants to pay $1750 for 'er, just PM me. smile
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Interesting new .275 - 06/22/18
That's a really nice looking rifle. If I was in the market for another 7mm I'd be tempted. I agree with others here, though, I'd want to see the wood before plunking my money down..
© 24hourcampfire