Home
Looking to pick up a new heavy barrel 308 for deer hunting and some target shooting. Don't want to make a lot of upgrades, just mount scope and start shooting. Which is a better out of the box rifle?
Vanguard s2 varmint 308 in griptonite stock for $500
Or
Remington 700 sps tactical 308 in hogue for $600

Have a vanguard s2 in family already we are happy with. Haven't owned anything made by remington in last 10 years.
Hard to say which will shoot better, but my money's on the Vanguard for quality. Vanguards feature forged actions, one-piece bolts that take down without tools, and safe, two-stage triggers, but you know that already. Why take part in the Remington lottery?
I HAD a heavy barrel Vanguard that shoot very good.....I HAVE a Model 700 heavy barrel tactical that shoots better.
What's the griptonite like? I hate the rubberized Hogue.
Vanguard please.

Dave
I'd bet on the V2 being more accurate out of the box and think that the V2 stocks are at the top of the heap in their price niche.

If you want to do an inexpensive stock swap the Boyds laminated Prairie Hunter or Heritage styles are only a few clicks away.
Your criteria scream Vanguard S2.
I have decided to get the vanguard s2.

It comes with a 20" or 22" barrel.

Thinking the 20" is way to go for maneuverability within stand.
Originally Posted by mathman
What's the griptonite like? I hate the rubberized Hogue.

The Griptonite is non-slip, but not tacky like the Hogue. The Hogue I had not only picked up all kinds of assorted fluffy stuff, but also pulled at my baby-soft face under recoil. Another issue was that hook on the end of the grip. Looks like some kind of Bat-gear.
© 24hourcampfire