Home
looking at these two rifles for shooting steel at long range and maybe some hunting. I've been wanting a tikka but i checked out the begara yesterday and it seems awfully nice with the adjustable cheek piece A5ish stock and aics compatible mag system. Any opinions?
Run both bolts on the guns. Tikka is much smoother. That's what I'll be going with.
The Bergara is nice, but I like the Tikka action more than even an improved 700 type action. I have CTR in .308 and it's a great rifle, neck in neck with my 6.5 RPR for accuracy while being a few pounds lighter. I'd love to pick up CTR in 6.5 sometime, but I'd opt for the 24" version in a range rifle for the higher velocities.
I picked up a CTR in the 6.5 about 2 months ago. I'm getting close to having to rebarrel if that tells you anything (almost 1800 rounds). I hated Tikka's but took a flier due to Whitaker pricing. It has supplanted my AI as my daily driver and shoots slightly less than an inch with 10 shot groups. I liked it so much I bought the .308 version as I have a metric ton of loaded .308 ammo to shoot (also sub-MOA with 10 shot groups).

With that being said, I shot a Bergara last month and shot a 0.5" ish group right off the bat with 5 rounds. I was impressed. You have a tough choice.
I only have experience with the CTR but mine is insanely accurate! It's about the only rifle I've been shooting the last several months.
The Tikka was my choice, I have no regrets.

(10rds of hand loads on the left, 10rds of factory on right)

[Linked Image]
Nice! I'm leaning tikka
Tikka is so under rated.....a great rifle. I have the 6.5 and love it so far.
I'd lean Tikka in stainless.

They are both great rifles though.

#creedmoore
Well, reading this thread it's pretty clear what you need to do.

Buy the Bergara.

Then you can come back and tell us how awesome it is so everyone has to go out an buy another rifle. smile
I've had both and much prefer the Bergara.

Both shot equally tight though.

Dave
If it matters, there seems to be a couple pound difference between the two. Rings and scope on the Bergara could put it up near 11 pounds.

While I haven't handled the HMR, I do like Bergaras other stocks better than Tikkas.
Originally Posted by BravoFoxtrot
I picked up a CTR in the 6.5 about 2 months ago. I'm getting close to having to rebarrel if that tells you anything (almost 1800 rounds). I hated Tikka's but took a flier due to Whitaker pricing. It has supplanted my AI as my daily driver and shoots slightly less than an inch with 10 shot groups. I liked it so much I bought the .308 version as I have a metric ton of loaded .308 ammo to shoot (also sub-MOA with 10 shot groups).

With that being said, I shot a Bergara last month and shot a 0.5" ish group right off the bat with 5 rounds. I was impressed. You have a tough choice.

Can I assume its fairly easy to rebarrel a Tikka CTR? Anyone know? I opted for one in 6.5 Creedmore and 1800 rounds thru a barrel seems a bit low, I was hoping more like 4-5000. The begara is nice just not for me as I will hunt with my rifles, walk, climb trees, etc.
From what I have read, Tikka barrels are on tight, real tight. Sako also likes to glue stuff together so make sure whoever is doing your barrel work has done plenty of them in the past.

There is also the option of pre-fit barrels, $550 isnt too bad.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/replacement-tikka-t3-ruger-american-pre-fit/
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Can I assume its fairly easy to rebarrel a Tikka CTR? Anyone know? I opted for one in 6.5 Creedmore and 1800 rounds thru a barrel seems a bit low, I was hoping more like 4-5000. The begara is nice just not for me as I will hunt with my rifles, walk, climb trees, etc.

There's no issue rebarreling a Tikka. And a good average for barrel life is 3-4,000 if it isn't a match gun.
My wife's 20" Tikka CTR .260 has over 2000 rounds through it.... and still shoots like a champ.

I've had several pretty nice custom/semi-custom rifles displaced by CTR(s)....

Never fingered a Bergara HMR.... but it would have to be one bad-ass rifle to beat out the CTR.
It’s spelled “kreaidmoure”.
Tikka, no question. I wouldn't mind a CTR in a standard stock/mags.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Got a stock and a LA Mag sitting here for that very thing.... I've long thought that a CTR in a spotter stock with the standard mags would be a sweet rig. Just need some factory bottom "metal" to get her all assembled.
Get some pics up and details when it's all together. I'm thinking that combo would have just the right amount of weight in the nose.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by 16bore

Got a stock and a LA Mag sitting here for that very thing.... I've long thought that a CTR in a spotter stock with the standard mags would be a sweet rig. Just need some factory bottom "metal" to get her all assembled.

Don't forget the mag retainer spring that attaches via the trigger screw. I believe you'll have to use it with the t3 plastic DBM
[Linked Image]
Yup.... got one of them too.

16..... I like the way the 20" CTR balances now.... but that 10-rd mag can make it a little clumsy when packing it in-hand.
That's what I hate about my SL 223, especially with a 6 rounder. I've got a big honkin SWFA on it though.
Dogshooter,

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in selling the CTR mag and trading for a standard bolt stop.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
It’s spelled “kreaidmoure”.

That sounds like a name that would be found in the local paper's arrest report.
The Bergara I have is smooooth. Stock has flush cups and adjustable cheek piece and is more rigid than the CTR. Love the mag set up more better. Especially since I can buy them in every gun shop I stop in.

All in all I think the Bergara is just more bang for the buck. And yes it shoots just as well as the CTR I owned.

Travis
I like the looks of the bergara over the tikka but have never shot the bergara
Is the Tikka not AICS? If no, what do the Tikka mags go for?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Is the Tikka not AICS? If no, what do the Tikka mags go for?

I don't know WTF they are. Tikka specials I think.

If I remember right they're over $100.

I know they ain't cheap. And I know when they get dirt in them they don't work for schit.

Travis
MDT ACIS style mags work fine in the CTR and are $39.99 everywhere.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
MDT ACIS style mags work fine in the CTR and are $39.99 everywhere.

https://mdttac.com/magazines-polymer.html so these will work in a Tikka CTR 6.5 KriedMooore.
Now they tell me...

Oh well. I like the Bergara more better.

Dave
CTR uses Sako TRG mags.... and they're about $150.

The MDTs will limit you to 2.8" COAL... the factory mag allows for 2.95".

I'm not cool enough for flush-cups.... so that doesn't matter to me.

3 beers, 10 minutes with a Dremel (Flave Precision style).... and Em's CTR has an "adjustable" cheek piece too.
Tikka is now making CTR specific mags that are cheaper than the TRG version

http://www.eurooptic.com/S54065122-Tikka-T3-Compact-Tactical-Rifle-CTR-Magazine-260.aspx

They're kinda like intermittent wipers and the backup camera on your pickup. You think they're worthless at first, but after I used them I see their value.

Travis
Backup cameras have saved me a lot if $$ and headache!!
Originally Posted by deflave

They're kinda like intermittent wipers and the backup camera on your pickup. You think they're worthless at first, but after I used them I see their value.

Travis

I drive a Subi.... Hybrid
I ordered a tikka ctr stainless. Got a swfa 3-15x42 comming for it and some tps rings. anybody got a 3-15 swfa?
I've got several pards that run CTRs with 3-15 SWFAs atop...... one of them in an MDT Chassis. I know two of them are running SWFA Low rings on the factory installed Pic-rail, and they have enough travel to get well past 1000 yards.

I love the fixed SS series, and the SS 3-9x42 is a great all-around scope.... I just don't have much love for the 3-15 and 5-20 SS scopes.
I've got several pards that run CTRs with 3-15 SWFAs atop...... one of them in an MDT Chassis. I know two of them are running SWFA Low rings on the factory installed Pic-rail, and they have enough travel to get well past 1000 yards.

I love the fixed SS series, and the SS 3-9x42 is a great all-around scope.... I just don't have much love for the 3-15 and 5-20 SS scopes.

Yep, had the 3-15 for about a week and tripped it to my brother. He likes it. One of the least favorite of the SWFA line for me. Bryant, if you don't like it, they're pretty easy to sell.
Originally Posted by Bryant
I ordered a tikka ctr stainless. Got a swfa 3-15x42 comming for it and some tps rings. anybody got a 3-15 swfa?

I have the 3-15 FFP on my RPR, and have been quite satisfied with it for the price. I use that rifle for local matches out to about 850yds, and the SWFA 3-15 works very well for that. I also have the 3-9 and the fixed 12x, the 3-9 looks a little better, but I prefer the 3-15 for the kind of shooting I do overall.... I really don't know what you could buy for a similar price that would offer the same features while still being totally reliable.
© 24hourcampfire