Home
Posted By: Bearcat74 Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/17/17

Just snagged a new Model 7 Predator in 243 Win, Talley LW's are on the way so I've not had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm curious about free floating. Several guys I've talked to that own a model 7 say their rifle did not like being floated but none of them owned the heavier barreled Predator. For the guys on here that own one did your rifle respond to being free floated?

Plans are Talleys and a Leupold 3-9 slinging the 80 GMX fast at whitetails.

Thanks
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/17/17
Ive got a Predator in .223

My impulse would be to shoot it first...if its good, leave it alone. If its not up to snuff, buzz out the speed bumps and float it.

Mine is currently sitting in a B&C stock, bedded and floated...

Got a model Seven CDL that would not shoot till it was floated.
Always give them a chance as they come from the factory. You might be pleasantly surprised. Thee have been some crazy good deals on 7 predators lately.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/17/17
I have a pair of Model 7 Predators, both in 223, and had one in 22-250. I didn't touch a thing on mine, with the exception of adjusting the trigger. I played around with different powders and bullets, until I found a load that they liked. The first Predator I bought, in 223, is my go to varmint rifle. It will shoot an itty bitty group of 50 grain VMax's at 300 yards, and I've killed a bunch of stuff with it.

I'm sure I'll get some disagreement here, but I have always gotten good accuracy out of Remington rifles by playing around with different powders and bullets, rather than by messing with the stock and bedding. With that being said, I have changed the stock out on a few of them, although I can't say that they shoot any better afterwards.

I recently ordered my vet a Predator in 243 for his son, and he reported back that it was a very good shooter, with factory loads.
For those that have one, how many inches do you think I could chop off the front of the barrel before touching the flutes?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/18/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For those that have one, how many inches do you think I could chop off the front of the barrel before touching the flutes?

Maybe 2
Posted By: Brian Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/19/17
whats a good deal on a remington 7 predator?
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/20/17

Mine was $549
Originally Posted by Brian
whats a good deal on a remington 7 predator?

New ones can be had for around $450 right now on auction sites.
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/21/17
I got mine for $475 on sale a while back. I mounted a Leupold 2x7 in Talley ex-lows. All up with four rounds it goes 7-3/8lbs. Loving it so far.
Thanks, Tom
What is the twist rate in the M7 Predator 243? MB
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/21/17

1/9.125
Thanks, that ought to stabilize a 105 Amax.? MB
In general, it usually will stabilize it if you don't have difficult atmospherics.
Well they shoot in my Savage 111 and 700BDL guess we will find out on the Predator as well. Traded for a Predator in 243 last night and got into it at $500 even. Picked up a set of Weaver bases as I had a set of med height matte weaver rings. VX2c 3x9 and ready to shoot. It took 2 minutes to bore sight and put 3 shots in a .5" at 50 yds, couple of inches right with 70 gr Sierra Matchkings. Will work up some Amaxes or 95 NPT's for antelope next weekend. All ways get a bang out of last minute gun changes and loads. Been shooting 243 for a long time, it's just a different gun challenge this time.. Magnum Bob
Posted By: mathman Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well they shoot in my Savage 111 and 700BDL guess we will find out on the Predator as well. Traded for a Predator in 243 last night and got into it at $500 even. Picked up a set of Weaver bases as I had a set of med height matte weaver rings. VX2c 3x9 and ready to shoot. It took 2 minutes to bore sight and put 3 shots in a .5" at 50 yds, couple of inches right with 70 gr Sierra Matchkings. Will work up some Amaxes or 95 NPT's for antelope next weekend. All ways get a bang out of last minute gun changes and loads. Been shooting 243 for a long time, it's just a different gun challenge this time.. Magnum Bob

Do you mean Vari-X IIc?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by mathman

Do you mean Vari-X IIc?

The Devil is in the details...
Posted By: mathman Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/22/17
That little c suffix triggers the detail reflex of mine. That said, I have a Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 that I'll never part with.
Yes Mathman ,your right of course............ and it's a silver finish to boot. That way I won't lose the gun if I set it down. I bought the scope a couple of days a go used, with a Tikka ring on the rear complete with stripped out hex socket on one side and a broke off torx bit on the other. As you say the devil is in the details. Took care of that with a drill press and 2 new screws. At $120+ 7.80 tax it was a fair buy for me even with getting the ring off. Got to love a plan when it all comes together. Can all ready taste fresh antelope loin stks. MB
Good luck-mabe!
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/23/17

I got the chance to shoot my Model 7 Predator today. I bedded the action midweek with Devcon and floated the barrel. The trigger won't go below 4.25lbs but as a hunting gun that's not terrible and it has zero creep. Talley LW lows and a Leupold 3-9x40 vx2.

RP brass sized for another rifle
95 NBT
41.5grs imr4350
CCI200

.0010" off the lands

1st shot from a cold clean barrel hit 3/8" from the next 4. The next 4 shots made a .51" group at just over 100yds.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/23/17
Looks like you got a great shooting gun there, nice when things come together quickly.

Yes, very nice when things just work out.

I shot the 80 GMX this evening up to 36.0grs of imr4064. 36.0grs gave me 3 shots into 1" exactly 2" high at 100yds. I am going to load 5 at 36.0 and 5 at 36.5 to see how they do.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

The trigger won't go below 4.25lbs but as a hunting gun that's not terrible and it has zero creep.

I had the original Mark trigger in mine...it went from 4 lbs to 16 pounds all by itself overnight! I replaced it with an old style Walker trigger ( horrors!) and have been happy ever since .

They have since replaced their triggers with the Mark Pro trigger, and a bigger piece of schitt never existed...

Sounds like you got it shooting though!!!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

The trigger won't go below 4.25lbs but as a hunting gun that's not terrible and it has zero creep.

I had the original Mark trigger in mine...it went from 4 lbs to 16 pounds all by itself overnight! I replaced it with an old style Walker trigger ( horrors!) and have been happy ever since .

They have since replaced their triggers with the Mark Pro trigger, and a bigger piece of schitt never existed...

Sounds like you got it shooting though!!!

I looked in my crystal ball and I see a new trigger in the future. This one is the Mark Pro trigger and so far I'm not real impressed.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/23/17
Ive had four of those triggers.....One would not adjust, one broke at the screw before it was ever fired, and the other two made a sweet sound hitting the bottom of the trash can before they ever got used...

I can't believe you didn't give the other two a chance...........
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 09/24/17
The broke ones sounded so good hitting the trash can, I simply couldn't wait to hear the sound again!
Haven't had any trigger issues yet and it is set at 3.5#. It shoots really well with 95 gr NPT's and NBT's. Come the 30th and it will get used on antelope. MB
The 30 th arrived and my date with a nice buck antelope was right on time. I scouted several pieces of public access land and found him 3 times hanging in about the same area. 10 minutes after sunup 1shot at a laser rf range of 396 yds he went down for the count. Load was a 95 gr NPT ahead of a max dose of IMR 7828 in RP brass and RP 9 1/2 lr primer. The M7 Predator is a sweet handling rifle and easy to shoot well. Couple of deer tags in frt of me so it will get some more exercise. MB
Good going Bob!
Nice. How did the 95 Partition do for you? What kind of terminal performance?
DD the 95 NPT is a go to bullet in the 6mm Rem and 243. This is not the first time I've used them. I broke his neck in frt of the shoulders ,exit hole was the size of a quarter with major blood loss, he dropped instantly where he stood. I like this bullet better than the 100 gr NPT but my all time favorite 243 bullet was the 100 gr Hornady SP which they discontinued. 100 gr Corelokts were also very good as component bullets in my own loads, seems to me RP factory loaded 100 gr Corelokts are a little slow but they do kill well. I've got some of the 95 gr NBT's for Prairie deer and going to come up with a Hills load featuring the way old and discontinued 100 grain Hornady Round Nose bullets just to try them. The buck was full sized and sported 13 5/8" x 13 7/8" horns so probably 3.5 year old, ok for public land access in SD but would probably be ignored in Mt or Wyo. All I wanted was a good broadside shot on a mature animal and I did that. The rifle is a little sweety to handle and shoot. The factory trigger worked fine and the bolt handle did not fall off so on the way home I stopped and bought a lottery ticket, MB
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/04/17
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The rifle is a little sweety to handle and shoot. The factory trigger worked fine and the bolt handle did not fall off so on the way home I stopped and bought a lottery ticket, MB

Yeah, you should really consider yourself to be lucky. I've got 2 of them, both in 223, nice factory triggers, and both tackdrivers. One of the best factory rifles available today IMO.
If only they would have made the 223 in 8 twist.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/06/17

Theoretically they made some in a 9 twist, and in the regular 12 twist...

Ive never seen or heard of a 9 twist in reality though.
I know....I've emailed just about everyone who's ever advertised a 223 if it has a 9 twist. No one has ever answered in the affirmative.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/07/17
The only problem I've had with my M7 Predator has been that the rear action screw broke. The rear action screw is a skinny little bugger. I haven't messed with the rifle for a couple years, was rummaging around in the safe and noticed that screw half in half out. After looking it over I realized the screw had snapped off flush in the receiver tang hole. The only reason I can figure that happened is that maybe I also noticed the recoil lug recess is huge and allows the action to shift back and forth under recoil? Maybe that stressed that skinny little rear screw enough to cause a brittle one to break? I dunno, I cleared the hole, got a new screw, bedded the recoil lug in the recess and we'll see how it goes.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/07/17

I bought a Predator in 223 when they first came out, 1-12 twist. Started playing around with different bullets and powders, shooting not only for groups, but also chronographing them for speed and consistency too. I settled on the 50 grain VMax and surplus WC846 powder, Winchester brass, and Reimngton7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primers. This load is running between 3350-3375 fps, less than MOA at a 100 yards, and has killed a bunch of chit. I have no desire to shoot anything else in this rifle, because it's strictly a coyote, bobcat, crow, groundhog, and anything else that needs shooting in the category.

My other Predator in 223 is also a 1-12 twist, and I bought it just in case I ever wear the other one out. It shoots 52 grain Speer HP's into little bitty groups, so I suspect that it will work if needed.

I have a Model 7 stainless 223, 20 inch barrel, with the 1-9 rate of twist. It loves Sierra 60 grain SP's, which is the heaviest bullet I've shoot thru it. I know that a lot of people shoot heavier bullets in their 223's, and use them on game far bigger than I do. I don't have much of a desire to shoot deer with my 223's, mainly because I have rifles in cartridges that I consider better for deer sized game. That's why I don't shoot heavy 223 bullets, and don't have a not of use for a 223 with a faster twist rate.

I'm not here to argue the merits of the 223 as a deer cartridge. If someone likes it, fine with me, go for it. My biggest reason for choosing the 223 is that I like to push a 50-55 grain bullet as fast as I can, while still maintaining accuracy, and use it to kill coyotes. That's why I don't consider a 1-12 rate of twist to be a hindrance for me.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/07/17

My trigger decided to workout and beef up to 6.75lbs over the past week or so. I pulled everything apart and retuned it down to 3.5lbs.....Timney on order.......

Working with the 80 TTSX right now and I'm getting lots of groups in the 1-1.25" range which is good enough but I'd like mo betta. 45.5grs H4350 and I'm working with seating depth.

I shot the 80 GMX blems I got from midway and they showed promise with 4064 but I shelved them for the TTSX right now. I had my target backer setup against some old 24.5" 18 wheeler tires and I recovered one of the GMX's hanging out of the tread after shooting through 1/2" plywood, top, and bottom of the tire. The slug weighed 74.8grs, which I thought was impressive.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/07/17
Bearcat: if you haven't already, give your TTSXs a bit of a 'jump'. seating depth is critical with them, and they like to jump.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/07/17

They are jumping and the more I jump them the better.

They are .105" off and 45grs H4350 stayed between 1/2-3/4" back to back for 3 shot groups shooting from a picnic table with a crappy bag sitting on an old jacket. Surely I can slay a whitetail with it in the East TN woods.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 Predator 243 Win - 10/11/17

Question on 3rd round flyers.

When I shot the back to back small groups I would fire a round, work on the smoker, fire a round, get more food ready, etc so there was time between shots for some cooling. Yesterday I fired four 3 shot groups quickly and had 2 touch and the 3rd round is out low left 1" or so every single time. I laid all 4 groups over one another and they are mirror images. I'm assuming heat is the culprit, the rifle is bedded, floated and torqued 35/25 in/lbs.

I plan on making my 1st one count but what could be the cause of the 3 round out every time? Bedding issue?

Thanks
© 24hourcampfire