Home
Posted By: jedgreen Kimber Classics gone? - 09/20/17
OK, so I must've missed something. When did Kimber discontinue their wood-stocked rifles? I like my 30-06 84L thank goodness. Is this temporary or likely a long-term decision?
Thanks,
Jed
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/20/17
I give up, when?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
Jeez, nobody told me the Costa Rican rainforest was gone.....
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
No end to the cheap and ugly way to do things.
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
They're on Kimberd website. Plain as day.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
What makes you think they discontinued them? http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/rifle-family?layer&corporate_rifle_family=201
Posted By: CP Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
I believe he is talking about the Classic (American Walnut version) not the Classic Select. CP.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
Now you tell me American Walnuts are extinct, too?
Posted By: jedgreen Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/21/17
I was talking about the regular wood Classic model, not the Select Grade. Sorry for any confusion.
Thanks
Posted By: wildfire45 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/22/17
Looks that way, sure glad I bought mine when I did, 84L classic .30-06 with a beautiful piece of DARK walnut with good tiger stripe in it. Its the perfect classic looking mountain rifle. I don't personally like the English walnut, its too blonde for me.
Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/22/17
I'm another one that wishes that had kept them. I'll be hanging on to mine too.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/22/17
Me too. I just dont like ebony forend tips. Not saying that would be an absolute deal breaker for me, just preferred the solid chunck of wood.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/23/17
I say ebony dresses up the stock with a touch of class.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/23/17
Different strokes... for me its just another thing to become wably, be not fitted correctly or worst of all...have a white line spacer installed between.
Originally Posted by TomM1
Different strokes... for me its just another thing to become wably, be not fitted correctly or worst of all...have a white line spacer installed between.

Yes that is correct but Kimbers never had a white line spacer and I've not known one to be "wably". You'd think with the extra work needed to machine and fit the ebony forend, they would have gone to other way. Maybe because they can use a shorter length of walnut, they can get extra stocks out of a chunk of walnut and add the ebony.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I love the ebony too, and it's real wood (as opposed to most manufacturers).
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I love the ebony too, and it's real wood (as opposed to most manufacturers).

Me too. Love my select 06.
Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by TomM1

Yes that is correct but Kimbers never had a white line spacer and I've not known one to be "wably". You'd think with the extra work needed to machine and fit the ebony forend, they would have gone to other way. Maybe because they can use a shorter length of walnut, they can get extra stocks out of a chunk of walnut and add the ebony.

Especially since GOOD ebony is hard to get, actually near impossible.

No real extra machining installing ebony. Maybe a little more time to cut a chunk of it and glue it on before machining the wood.
Pardon for the hijack, but was the black forend on the Rem 700's ebony or plastic?
Posted By: UncleSoapy Re: Kimber Classics gone? - 09/23/17
Plastic
And the finish chips fairly easy
© 24hourcampfire