Home
Posted By: sandpit 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Evening,
I am fixing up an old enfield,it had an old Lyman 21/2 power Alaskan scope so I had it re drilled for mounts.am ordering a timney trigger,I don't mind a good 2 stage trigger but the original sux. It's still sporting the original barrel and is still accurate as heck and has quite a nice older custom stock.Anyone else like these old gals?
Posted By: GuyM Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Sure! Mine was a favorite until my youngest son decided it was his a few years ago. He's gone on to take bucks & bears with it. I had the barrel cut to 21" and put it in a B&C stock quite a while ago. Topped it with a 6x Leupold too.

Dad originally "sporterized" it shortly after WWII. It's been in our family a long time and continues to do well.

My son practicing with it at the rifle range:
[Linked Image]

And with his first bear:
[Linked Image]

We normally load 165 gr Nosler Partitions for it, with H4350.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Well, I guess....
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Got a pair of them...

Actually the old Enfield is my favorite action...

Have one Winchester Made and one Remington Made..

no Eddystones...
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
I've got a few beautiful M1917 rifles. One even has an Elmer Keith inspection cartouche on the stock, whatever that's worth. But it's an interesting conversation piece.

I'm an lefty so I can't properly run the 1917 or the Brit SMLE type rifles. But I know there's an technique to run the m1917 and you'll understand by looking at the relationship of bolt knob to trigger. It's fun to watch a good bolt gun operator shoot and then reload with an clip. I just wish I weren't an lefty in an world of right handed bolt rifles.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
I have a couple of 1917s in my safe. a 9.3x62 scout and recently completed 458 lott. its a grand old action to build off.

Attached picture 9.jpg
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I've got a few beautiful M1917 rifles. One even has an Elmer Keith inspection cartouche on the stock, whatever that's worth. But it's an interesting conversation piece.

I'm an lefty so I can't properly run the 1917 or the Brit SMLE type rifles. But I know there's an technique to run the m1917 and you'll understand by looking at the relationship of bolt knob to trigger. It's fun to watch a good bolt gun operator shoot and then reload with an clip. I just wish I weren't an lefty in an world of right handed bolt rifles.

I grew up using one and find it very easy to "run".... wink
Posted By: beretzs Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
I have a couple of 1917s in my safe. a 9.3x62 scout and recently completed 458 lott. its a grand old action to build off.

Awesome rifle Josh

I keep my eyes out for a 17 to make into a 400 Whelen.. it’s a horse of an action.
Posted By: viking Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Yeah, I had a minty one. Grease all over it. It was an Eddystone, like a foolish kid years ago I traded it for something I don't have anymore.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/08/17
Old son has two. One in .270 WCF is he "go to" for serious shooting. Many elk, deer, hogs have succumbed to that rifle. The other is a .300 H&H put together back in the day by old time Austin gunsmith, J.F. "Buster" Kreuz. I've seen him take elk with both rifles.

Have you ever had the ejector spring modified? They can be problematic at times.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/09/17
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen

Where'd ja get that stock?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/09/17
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Old son has two. One in .270 WCF is he "go to" for serious shooting. Many elk, deer, hogs have succumbed to that rifle. The other is a .300 H&H put together back in the day by old time Austin gunsmith, J.F. "Buster" Kreuz. I've seen him take elk with both rifles.

Have you ever had the ejector spring modified? They can be problematic at times.

My ejector springs ALWAYS get modified. Only coil spring for me now... Have had too many of the leaf springs break... I was 13 years old when I modified my first one...

Here's one of my favorite rifles. It has a left handed stock on it...:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RyanTX Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/09/17
I've got an Eddystone version that my grandfather sporterized when he bought it. He made the stock himself, and while it's kinda clunky and heavy, it was his and I can't help but think of him each time I take it out. I haven't shot it in probably 10 years, but my boys each want to take it out in the field this year in memory of him.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/09/17
When I was 16 (growing up in East TX) a dying uncle gave me a pristine, full military Eddystone and a bandolier of Garand clips with armor piercing ammo. It shot that ammo to POA and was really, really accurate. It was not regulated, of course, with sporting 150gr ammo. It would shoot them about 15" high at 100. I cut the stock down myself and then left it with a gunsmith who was going to "really" sporterized it, but then he absconded with everyone's guns and skipped town. A year later the Texas Rangers found him and a wad og guns and mine was recovered. He had cut the barrel back to 24"/crowned it, and had ground the ears off/removed the peep and drilled/tapped it for a scope. He also had attached Williams Guide sights/ramp front. I then went in the Army and when I got out we just used it as a spare rifle, none of us ever killed anything with it. About 7 years later I met a friend (and he was my boss) who was into home Gunsmithing and he and I made it a project. It still had the Perch Belly magazine, so I found a "bargain" Enfield sporter stock from Bishops for $20 ( 1980 dollars). My friend inletted/shaped it to what I thought felt good and as slim as I could get it. We put a Traister trigger in it and he filled the big hole on the back bridge with epoxy. I then added a 2 pc Weaver base. Because the receiver was not ground down to Mod 70 specs, it took a Medium ring and a High ring to get the scope on a normal axis. I had a Tasco 4X with a 4 minute Dot from a trade so put it on. I then used Tung Oil, hand rubbed 7 coats on with wet sanding in between coats. I shot all kinds of ammo but only two handloads, bith using the Sierra 200 sbt and the Speer 200HC through that thing. (I really wanted it rebored to the 338/06 like Elmer's! Young family/poor pay held me back, ha) That big Enfield barrel was awesome! I just used the tip top of the Dot as an aiming point and I could wad up the loads it liked. I had other rifles that I used, but I jetted them all but this one when I went off to Bible School, Tulsa. I found a small rifle range with two benchrests in Wagner, about 25 miles from where I lived. I rigged up my RCBS Rockchucker to a board that I C-clamped to the kitchen table and I was in business! ha. I settled on IMR 4350, BR2 primers, Remington cases (prepped) and Sierra bullets. I used 59gr/150PH; 58gr/165SBT; 57gr/180PH; and 54gr/200SBT (like before back in Texas) Later, in Utah, I carried that thing down a huge canyon on an easy Forestry trail. It took me "hours" to get me and that 10 pound booger back up out of it! ha. I ended up giving that rifle to an older friend (lady) who used it to train kids to shoot (she is still around, still helping kids, and her grandson used it to kill a huge 5x5 with his dad along. His dad died a couple years later and it had been a great memory for him. It made me proud. I know my Uncle Bud would have been too). So, yes, they are accurate, they are bulky, they are heavy, they are kinda weird looking (even sporterized) but dang near indestructible, ha.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/09/17
I wish you could still find 1917's and 03'A3's for less than a grand in any shape worth having!!!

Mike
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/10/17
I wish I had a dollar for every one of those things we cut/ground/built on at a Rifle guys’s shop I worked at back in my college days. Pallets full that he’d buy at auction.
Posted By: irfubar Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/10/17
Enfield's are cool,
I came into a Winchester made Enfield action a few years back. The size of the action dictated I should build something large!
So I built a 338 Lapua. It was a awesome rifle , but a young veteran had to have it , down the road it went. I am glad he has it and enjoys it but i kinda miss it.
Posted By: Hook Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/10/17
Picked up this old warhorse a little less than a year ago. Somebody put a lot of work into it, although their purpose was to make a hunting tool rather than a showcase piece. Wish it could tell it's history. Although in really sad shape, it appealed to me and I have every intention of letting it make meat again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Weaver 330 M8 scope was still zeroed when I shot it, although the lens were so milky I could hardly see the bulls eye through it. I took it hunting once last season knowing I couldn't hit anything without a perfect setup and excellent light. No deer appeared but one armadillo paid the price of crossing my path.

The Weaver was sent to L&K to be refurbished and is now clear and ready to go. The Stith mounts are solid as a rock and the old crushed recoil pad is replaced. The finish is in sad shape but it will stay as is. I have 220 gr RN loads for it and it will be used primarily as a mid day walkabout rifle.
Posted By: blairvt Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/10/17
It’s in a Springfield stock. Didn’t know that would work
Posted By: Hook Re: 1917 Enfield - 10/10/17
Yeah, that was another part of the "lot of work" comment. The action was completely scrubbed, I guess while taking off the hump, so I don't know what the origin is either.
Posted By: krupp Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/03/17
I used to abhor the 1917 until I bought a kitchen-gunsmith version for $125. Little did I know what a surprise I was in for.

Now I have 2 Remingtons, 1 Winchester and 2 Eddystones one in fact being purchased just this last Friday for $190. All are sporters and none cost over $300. I am a hardcore fan now.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/03/17
I have a 1917 sporter done by Glenn Gregory with a bishop sporter monte carlo stock with a douglas #4 contour 25/06 douglas barrel.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/03/17
I love the things... I have one, a gunsmith screwed up the action..

now the bolt hangs up... its in pieces and waiting for me to getting around to
finding someone I trust to fix her up....she was accurate that's for sure...
1917 Win Action and 1918 Rem barrel on it...

picked up another one, freshly sporterized up at Cabelas in Potland...
Brand new heavy contour barrel on it, nicely done... and has Lyman
sites.. guess it was built to compete with...$300 less my military discount..

I love them, because they are built like a 53 Buick... big heavy and solid...
Posted By: hanco Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/03/17
I had one in .333 OKH belted, by CM O’Neil. Sold it last year
Posted By: GuyM Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Originally Posted by hanco
I had one in .333 OKH belted, by CM O’Neil. Sold it last year

Oh my! That's a pretty cool rifle.
Posted By: hanco Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Yes. It is, sold it to a member here. I had another that has a Buhmiller Barrel on it. I gave it to another CF member who bought a couple rifles from me. He’s going to have it made into a 416 Rigby.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
I also love them. Started out on one when I was 12 and have been using them religiously since then. The one I have now is my go to rig. I've also had the one Seafire bought from the Tualatin cabelas, in my hands.
I actually inspected that rifle a few times.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I also love them. Started out on one when I was 12 and have been using them religiously since then. The one I have now is my go to rig. I've also had the one Seafire bought from the Tualatin cabelas, in my hands.

Glad you passed on that one BSA...

Took me about 5 seconds to decide on it at that price....

The close to 45 minutes wait, to get the state background check..

they were telling me the computer system was having issues..

if it hadn't been that Enfield I wouldn't have waited...

but instead I went across the parking lot to Wendy's and had a fast
burger and a Frosty....

you saw it.. for Cabelas I thought it was a real nice rifle for that price...
barrel looked brand new...she shoots real well also..
Posted By: rockdoc Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
I have a P14 actioned 404J by Cogswell and Harrison. Nice rifle and weighs a bout 8lbs 2oz! Perfect weight.

Lots of high-end English rifles were made on this action post WW2.

Something attractive about that old action.
Posted By: Judman Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Boy they are a tank!! My first custom was a 17’ enfield whelen pac nor snout, shot good too.
Originally Posted by Seafire

burger and a Frosty....

Yep, the rifling on that one was damn sharp. I'm sure it is a tack driver. Cool that you ended up with that one..

burger and a Frosty....

Like I've said before, my lefty stock enfield does everything I need it to do. This is the one I grab most of the time, when I'm heading out to hunt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Timney trigger, re-contoured stock, coil spring ejector mod, new red pachmayr decelerator and pre 64 model 70 extractor...
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
I like mine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Butch and Lawrence...

both of ya got some real nice gorgeous Enfields...

I love both Enfields and Springfields...

and not so easy to find a nice one anymore...
Posted By: Cougarz Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Butch,

I just knew you would show up sooner or later with that fine rifle! 😉
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17

burger and a Frosty....

Like I've said before, my lefty stock enfield does everything I need it to do. This is the one I grab most of the time, when I'm heading out to hunt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Timney trigger, re-contoured stock, coil spring ejector mod, new red pachmayr decelerator and pre 64 model 70 extractor...

Well, he is way ahead of me. He has bloodied his.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 1917 Enfield - 12/04/17
Stopped in a local shop I frequent today and they jus took one in. Looks all original although the stock may have been lightly sanded and oil put on. Bluing is very nice for what it is. It’s an Eddystone if anyone is interested I can give you the info.
© 24hourcampfire