Home
Posted By: grovey Bore guides and cleaning rods - 10/13/17
What current production bore guides and cleaning rods do you Rem 700 owners prefer, and why?
Lucas Bore Guide BEST

Possum Hollow

Tipton
Shooters choice 1pc. stainless steel
Tiptons nickel plated jags
Tiptons cheap bore guid kit
Shooters Choice SS and the Tiptons kit when I used to care about cleaning. Now it's Wipe out from the chamber with 1/4" fuel hose extension on the nozzle and a coupla patches and it's done.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Shooters Choice SS and the Tiptons kit when I used to care about cleaning. Now it's Wipe out from the chamber with 1/4" fuel hose extension on the nozzle and a coupla patches and it's done.

Agreed.

Dave
Thinking I heard Lucas doesn't make his guides anymore, correct ? Any of you guys have a link to the Shooters choice rods? Can I ask why those over a Tipton, or Dewey? I'm a cheap bastid , but it's time to get a 21st century cleaning setup together.
I used to to a clean bore freak, the more I read...the more I realize I was wrong.
Dewey rods and I own some wierd @$$ guns so I am married to possum hollow bore guides, they are cheap enough it doesn't matter...
I have a couple of Kleen Bore one piece stainless rods that came with brass muzzle guides that I like. The muzzle guides are handy for lever actions.
Midway or Sinclair bore guides, because they fit. WipeOut is overkill IMHO. (My Remingtons need to be slightly coppered up to shoot best.)
Dewey or Tipton cleaning rods -- they stay smooth, wipe down nicely and being coated means the bore isn't scraped up.
Shooter's Choice stainless type froze up on me / wouldn't spin because their ball bearings got galled, rusted, whatever.
Originally Posted by grovey
Thinking I heard Lucas doesn't make his guides anymore, correct ? Any of you guys have a link to the Shooters choice rods? Can I ask why those over a Tipton, or Dewey? I'm a cheap bastid , but it's time to get a 21st century cleaning setup together.

Nope, Mike is still making them himself, price is now close to $70 though.
That's good to hear, even though it's more than I would spend on one for a factory gun. I run a few patches thru them after say 60 - 75 rds , and only use wipeout / patchout. After reading a few threads on the subject I'm wondering about carbon build up since patchout doesn't remove it, and as I said I need to spring for a modern setup that I can clean with without damaging my rifles.
These are a good alternative to the Lucas Bore Guides; Benchrite
DIY option:

Commercial bore guides are basically just expensive funnels. So....I've made a few bore guides out of carbon fiber golf club shafts. Shafts are tapered so all one needs to do is cut the shaft where it will fit in the breech end of the chamber with a little overlap. Usually, the taper fit will prevent solvent from leaking back into the receiver, especially if the rifle is tilted muzzle down. The overall length has to be long enough to clear the back end of the receiver plus a bit so that it can be removed with fingers and short enough so that the cleaning rod tip extends past the muzzle. On some DIY bore guides, I have had to drill out the hole at the narrow end of the golf shaft so that a patched jag can pass through as well as a patched loop can pass through without wringing solvent from a wet patch.

I can buy used golf clubs from the local GoodWill for a buck.
© 24hourcampfire