Home
Posted By: 308ld It's good to be young! - 10/17/17
So I change the Leupold VX 2 2-7X33 LRD on the Ruger Hawkeye .308, my old eyes seem to need more. Back to an old VX I 4-12X40. Off to the range with my 14 year old grandson.

100 yards, one inch dots on 8X11 sheets of paper. So he's pounding everything with whatever he puts through his Savage 243, 2-7 Redfield. I'm over there trying to keep it to a 2-3" minimum eek thinking what has happened to this Ruger. Long story short. He says "can I try that 308"? Sure, knock yourself out, see what you can do with it. First 3 go 3/4", 1.5" high, dead center above the black dot. He stands up and says "I'm tired"......Yah, me too, lets call it a day! laugh
Kids these days lol
Posted By: mathman Re: It's good to be young! - 10/17/17
If you prefer a smaller scope for hunting purposes you can change your sight in targets to better suit. I mounted a 1.5-4x20 on a Remington 40X and shot a number of half moa 300 yard groups with it. For a target I used a large + symbol of a size to match the reticle.
Posted By: hanco Re: It's good to be young! - 10/17/17
I can’t shoot as good as I used to either. It happens
Posted By: Bbear Re: It's good to be young! - 10/17/17
Kids, no respect for their elders! wink
Posted By: las Re: It's good to be young! - 10/21/17
Instead of dots, use squares (perhaps somewhat larger than 1" ?) of white paper on a darker background. I'm using 4" white squares on 2' square cardboard sheets at 300 yards, with the Leupold VXIII set on 10X. It helps having those black crosshairs against a white background.
Even with 69 year old eyes, the rifle will keep 3 shots under 2" - usually around an inch - assuming I do my part.

Another target I favor is a 4 inch black circle with inch and a half diameter white center. Mostly I use this at 100 and 200 yards. Of course, I have access to a lot of used, one-sided letter-size sheets and a copier.... smile
Posted By: Windfall Re: It's good to be young! - 10/21/17
Some things get better with age, but eyes ain't one of them.
Posted By: Jayhawker Re: It's good to be young! - 10/22/17
Try using different targets. I like heavy reticles on scopes and find a simple X makes a great target. It's much easier to align and hold on.
© 24hourcampfire