Home
I have a custom rem700 in.270 win that I have been entertaining the idea of turning into a .270 weatherby for elk hunting. It has a 24" magnum size barrel so it's ready to go. I would like to add a PTG one piece bolt but that would be it. I see some impressive ballistic advantages written on paper compared to the std Win.
The recoil will be more. Killing effectiveness..... Meh
R26 and 150s transform the standard .270 Win into another (bigger) class of rifle imho. I'd skip the Weatherby, but that's just me...

Dave
Originally Posted by iddave
R26 and 150s transform the standard .270 Win into another (bigger) class of rifle imho. I'd skip the Weatherby, but that's just me...

Dave

I've got to agree with you Dave.
In no particular order:

Velocity - potential for more
Case capacity - add 15 grains, from 68 to 83
Loaded ammo and component availability - 270 Win lots of it everywhere, 270 Roy scarce everywhere
Cost - everything about the 270 Roy costs more than the 270 Win

You have to do a cost to benefit analysis based on your needs and wants.
As others have pointed out, the actual increase is less than it seems on paper.

If you specialize in hunting the Edwards Plateau, then it might make sense. For everywhere else, not so much.

Okie John
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Dave

Me three.
I have both a 270 Win and a 270 Bee. If all your hunting is under 300 yards it is not worth the effort. On the other hand if you want to stretch things out the Bee has a distinct advantage. Just like a 300 Win will outclass a 30 06, same deal in the 270 calibers.

I like my 270 Bee and find it worthwhile owning. I feel it gives me an advantage on hunts like elk where those advantages can be utilized. Those type hunts are special to me as I only get to go every few years. Only you can decide what works for you.
I have both, buy a 270 Wby. Then you will have two. You can’t own too many rifles.
Have both, love both.

The 270 Win is a classic. Great for open country or the thick stuff.

The 270 Wby makes an absolutely wicked killer out of 150gr bullets. The penetration it provides is extremely impressive.

I don’t really notice a difference recoil-wise, and I can shoot the 270 Roy comfortably from a bench for as long as necessary. It just takes a rather substantial withdrawal from the bank account to do so.

With about 15 heads down, I’ve never recovered a bullet shot from the Bee, including one 150 gr NP that entered an almost straight on bull elk of around 700-800 pounds right at the point of the forward left shoulder and exited the right ham. The shot was at 175 yards.

Like I said.....wicked.

I’d take the Weatherby on any expensive hunt or for trophy bulls but would be just as happy with the 270 Win for anything else.
Question for you .270 Wby owners what ammo are you using for Elk
Hand loads with the 150 Nosler PT.
140 Accubond
150gr Nosler Partition shoots Sub 1.0 MOA in my rifle. Not much need to use anything else but I do want to try a heavy copper bullet someday. Maybe the 140 or 150gr TSX or even 130gr TTSX.
I've got a couple of each now; and a pile of .270 Wins in the past.

Real world examples;

I shoot 130s in the Wins, and with the not uncommon 22" barrels they cruise out at a bit over 3000 more or less. I like the B&C reticles and the .270s match up real well with the highest magnification and a 200 yard zero. The post makes a fine aiming reference for my rectangular 500 plate on my personal range. Used like this the trajectory curve is about the same frankly as just about everything. A .375 H&H of mine that I shoot 235 grain Speers out of can do that. They could be sighted for MPBR, but then the reticle wouldn't work.

My .270 Weatherbys are quite capable of taking a 130 grain bullet to 3500 with a listed load of 7828 and the 140 Accubond up to 3360. The one will shoot factory Weatherby Spitzers at 3700 fps at some unknown but probably to high pressure. Wouldn't know about it with-out a chronograph, pressure signs are nothing. The 26" barrels don't hurt, but in the real world that's what they have. They respond very well to being sighted in at 325 which also works out to 3" high at 100. When I'm down to aiming with the post (Infinity pin), its at a set of 3 IPSC silhouettes that I have set up at 650 yards. The one that uses the 140 Accubond has an old LPS with a mildot, and the nearly identical 2 Mils works the same way at that distance. The next dot enables me to terrorize the silhouette and plate I have up on the hill-side at 780 yards. They are in somewhat in a different league than the Wins, with much in common with STWs with hunting bullets, the .257 Weatherby, .264 with 120 NBTs, 7-300 Win with VLDs, .28 Nosler with a few, my sadly demised .300 RUM and a couple over-achieving .300 Wins that like 190 grain ABLRs quite a bit. The 6.5-300 Win would be in the same company if I didn't have that one set up with 140 VLDs and an engraved M3 knob.

In the real world my .270 Weatherbys are heavier, and recoil about the same as the .270 Wins. That is to say, not much of anything.
If you don't reload, the 270 Win is probably a better bet, unless cost is not an issue. Either way though, the Weatherby pretty much spanks the WCF. It's loud and burns lot's of powder, but the return on performance is without question. 130's at 3500 fps are amazing. Sure, RL-26 will give the WCF a boost in performance with the 150's, but it will do the same for the Weatherby. Plan on 200 -300 fps advantage over the WCF in most bullet weights. Also, you'll find the recoil on the Wetaherby to be very manageable. I would equate it to a 30-06 shooting 165-180 gr bullets.

If you want the ultimate 270 and cost is not an issue, the Weatherby is the way to go. Additionally, you won't wont be like every other hunter in the deer camp who's toting a 270 or 30-06. smile

Have both. Love both. But the Weatherby hits harder. We hunt pretty open ground for Whitetails and Mule Deer. 140 gr AB does the job great with a 300yd zero.

Dave

So with the R26 with 150s what are we talking about with ballistics
Keep the 270 and buy a 300 magnum of your choosing.
Excellent advice Super... The more I use my .270 the more I like it, but the .300 is even better..
Originally Posted by bwinters

Dave

Me three.

Me also........

The difference in velocity between a 24" bbl 270W vs a 24" bbl 270Wthby will probably be smaller than it appears on paper. That's what my chrono says anyway...........
I owned two .270wins, .270wby and 300wby all at the same time ..
found myself mostly always reaching for .270 Wby

top velocities people typically try to 'race' out of their Win
is just a walk in the park for Roys first belted magnum.
Originally Posted by Starman
I owned two .270wins, .270wby and 300wby all at the same time ..
found myself mostly always reaching for .270 Wby,

Same here. I owned all three at the same time and greatly preferred the .270 Wby.

It’s as easy to shoot as the .270 Win and easily equals the .300 Roy when it comes to killing things quickly and spectacularly. I’d even go out on a limb here and say (with only anecdotal evidence to back this up) that my .270 Wby “out killed” my .300 Wby in my hands.

Of course, it’s because the .270 Wby is easier to shoot from all positions than the .300, but there has never been a time when the firing pin dropped on my .270 Bee when the bullet didn’t hit exactly where I planned it to.

Freakin’ laser beam death ray, that one.
back to the OP's question...

about 100 yards

The Roy does at 100-150 depending on the load what a 270 winchester does at the muzzle.

If your ranges are long thats good...

If your ranges are short the difference is inconsequential...
Yes, the the 270Wthby will have higher velocitiies than the 270W. Often when comparing the Weatherby's to standard chamberings barrel length is forgotten. When comparing velocities it helps to compare equal bbl lengths.

Carrying my heavy-azz MkV's hunting never appealed to me (although you're talking about revamping a M700), and shooting a 270Wthby in a sub 7lb rifle has never appealed to me either.

The highest velocity with a 270Wthby and 150gr NPt in the Nosler manual is 3207 fps with a 26" bbl. Nosler velocities are rather consistently....ah....optimistic.

As others have mentioned, RL-26 in the 270W has upped the ante a fair amount. Given Alliant's data and what I have chronographed, the 270W may be the biggest beneficiary of RL-26, consistently clocking over 3000 fps out of 22" bbls with 150gr NPt's

In other words, when comparing equal bbl lengths--and reasonable pressures--there is about 150 fps max difference between the two cartridges, often less.

I have a 25" Douglas barreled M700 in 270W that already thinks it's a 270Wthby. It is on my short list to get the RL-26 treatment.
I have a 270 Win that I like a lot and is going to stay, it's a wood stocked Sako. That 270 Wby keeps calling though, thinking of a fast twist and running 150's-170's. Gun is my fibreglass stocked Rem 700 that will need a new barrel soon which would be used for rougher terrain and weather than the 270 Win. Any of you use the 160 gr Partition in your 270 Bee's and what kind of speed do you get? That's one of my favourites in the 270 Win, load runs 2817 fps average.
3500 fps with a 130gr TSX out of my old 270Wby on Mule deer was a sight to behold. That being said, I really like the 270 Winchester as well. Repetitive? Sure, but I don't really give a flying [bleep] about what anybody thinks.
Originally Posted by Ziggy
I have a custom rem700 in.270 win that I have been entertaining the idea of turning into a .270 weatherby for elk hunting. It has a 24" magnum size barrel so it's ready to go. I would like to add a PTG one piece bolt but that would be it. I see some impressive ballistic advantages written on paper compared to the std Win.

Real world difference?

The .270 is gay

The .270 Way. is Uber-gay.

That about wraps it up.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Real world difference?

The .270 is gay

That about wraps it up.

What about your 6.8 SPC eek
270's ain't gay and I am quite certain the many members here on the fire that use them ain't gay and quite frankly we are sick of your 270 gay bu!![bleep].

RE: Ingwe
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Nosler velocities are rather consistently....ah....optimistic.

Nosler data is shot with high quality, minimum spec barrels. What I've found is that when I use the data on my custom barrels with snug chambers it comes out real close to the real world velocity. As often as not I'll end up a grain less than their maximum charge to match their given speeds, and in some instances I've barely gotten off the starting load to match their top velocity.

When you take random factory rifles the results are mixed. Some will make speed, and some won't get within a mile of the book with their loads. Some won't make it with any load.

Mileage may vary.
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by ingwe

Real world difference?

The .270 is gay

That about wraps it up.

What about your 6.8 SPC eek

Ingwe's 6.8 SPC is Super Uber Gay. Someone who wears leopard print thongs would own a 6.8 SPC.
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Nosler velocities are rather consistently....ah....optimistic.

Nosler data is shot with high quality, minimum spec barrels. What I've found is that when I use the data on my custom barrels with snug chambers it comes out real close to the real world velocity. As often as not I'll end up a grain less than their maximum charge to match their given speeds, and in some instances I've barely gotten off the starting load to match their top velocity.

When you take random factory rifles the results are mixed. Some will make speed, and some won't get within a mile of the book with their loads. Some won't make it with any load.

Mileage may vary.

Most everybody's pressure data is using quality pressure barrels.......Wiseman, Lija, etc.

I also have custom barrels, and Noz's data is still optimistic............I have 35+ years of chrono data in my binder--probably something approaching 15k rounds. Handloaders tend to "shoot" for published velocities and continue to pour powder in until they reach it, and then a lot of them seem to go further. Just look at some of the velocities being tossed out on the 'fire.

In the 90's a couple buddies and I had unlimited access to a Oehler M43 Ballistics Lab. We bought strain gauges by the dozen and glued them on a bunch of rifles. As mentioned before I have a 25" Douglas Premium bbl chambered in 270W. Velocities with factory loads were fast in that rifle, and within max pressures. With handloads I could do even better, in a few loads a lot better and still stay at max pressure. But that barrel is a definite exception.
Maybe you should try pulling the trigger harder? wink
Lighten up, Francis. It's just a joke.

Also, if you use "aren't" instead of "ain't" you wouldn't sound so gay.
No idea where you came up with Francis. Really sick of that joke. Since you identify so well with it you must be gay.

Oh it's a joke...,

That would probably be good for an extra 100 fps.....at least on the internet.........
C'mon, Casey. Give in to the Dark Side and shoot a 270 Roy. grin grin

Nosler data is shot with high quality, minimum spec barrels.......When you take random factory rifles the results are mixed.
Some will make speed, and some won't get within a mile of the book with their loads. Some won't make it with any load....

.... Handloaders tend to "shoot" for published velocities and continue to pour powder in until they reach it, and then a lot of them seem to go further...

if that aint crazy enough, some powder monkeys will then use a chrono to tell them chamber pressures are 'safe' ... laugh

I have both and really enjoy both. The .270 Win is a Ruger 1A I bought for my wife. It's an MOA rifle with 150 grain Swift A-Frames at a leisurely 2700 FPS or 130 grain Sierras at 3000. My wife used it to brain a crocodile, and I've killed Eland, Zebras, kudu, etc. with the 150 grain load. My dad who'll be 84 this year has taken several big whitetails with the 130 grain load the past few years. Everything you shoot with it dies without a lot fuss. It's a mild recoiling gun but has serious muzzle blast because of the short action and barrel.

My .270 WBY is a NULA model 28. With 129 grain LRX's at 3375 and 150's (Hornady interbond and Berger VLD) at 3175 it's a hammer. The difference in reaction when you hit stuff with it is very different than my moderate .270 Win loads. Legs "go loose" on impact and most stuff drops at the shot, even with lung shots.
Originally Posted by talentrec
I have both and really enjoy both. The .270 Win is a Ruger 1A I bought for my wife. It's an MOA rifle with 150 grain Swift A-Frames at a leisurely 2700 FPS or 130 grain Sierras at 3000. My wife used it to brain a crocodile, and I've killed Eland, Zebras, kudu, etc. with the 150 grain load. My dad who'll be 84 this year has taken several big whitetails with the 130 grain load the past few years. Everything you shoot with it dies without a lot fuss. It's a mild recoiling gun but has serious muzzle blast because of the short action and barrel.

My .270 WBY is a NULA model 28. With 129 grain LRX's at 3375 and 150's (Hornady interbond and Berger VLD) at 3175 it's a hammer. The difference in reaction when you hit stuff with it is very different than my moderate .270 Win loads. Legs "go loose" on impact and most stuff drops at the shot, even with lung shots.

Nice to see someone else here that likes and uses both.
By the time you modify that standard bolt face Remington 700 to a magnum and rechamber the barrel your well on your way to buying another rifle. I would look for a 270 wby in another rifle to try or buy a 7mm rem mag 700 and rebarrel or just leave it a 7 mag and call it a day.
Just about anything can be accomplished if one is willing to throw enough money at it, but if you want to end up with a Weatherby, you'd be dollars ahead to just buy a Weatherby, and be sending rounds downrange today...you could top it off with good glass with all the money and time you'd save.
I have both, have shot alot of deer with the Winchester, only a couple pigs with the WBY. Only took the Weatherby pig hunting because owner of the property said we would be hunting a large meadow area, shots could be to 500 yds. These pigs were killed at 40yds,and 55 yds!
https://imgur.com/NxQ3G4n
https://imgur.com/nHeHMAF
https://imgur.com/gQroBSX
https://imgur.com/LdSv4pJ
The 270 win and 270 wby is a huge difference from what I have seen. The 270wsm and wby would be more closely matched. I have owned all 3 270 cartridges and the 270wby is by far the top dog. My 270 wby which is a Mcwhorter rifle will push 130 to 3500 and 150 to 3240 fps. If you shoot longer ranges run the numbers on that. Of course it has to use a 26” barrel which is not as friendly in the bush.
[Linked Image]
Never had any luck with the .277" 150 ABLR in a couple Weatherbys, couple Wins and a WSM; but had great success with 6.5, 7mm and 30s. Might have to take another crack at it, they are awesome once they are in the air. Besides, I still have a few hundred left.
Very interesting info I've decided to go ahead with the project. My gunsmith gave me a fair price on the job. This will be my big bull elk rifle.
Very interesting info I've decided to go ahead with the project. My gunsmith gave me a fair price on the job. This will be my big bull elk rifle.

I hope you keep us up to date on how things work out. Great round the 270 Wby.

Dave

Me three.

Me also........

The difference in velocity between a 24" bbl 270W vs a 24" bbl 270Wthby will probably be smaller than it appears on paper. That's what my chrono says anyway...........

The problem with that is I don't reload just never had a interest in it.
Im hoping to push a 150 grn NPT to 3150. If I can do that with this rifle I'll be exactly where I want to be with ballistics.

Dave

Me three.

Me also........

The problem with that is I don't reload just never had a interest in it.

You ain't missing nothing....
Alliant is showing only about 100-150 fps for the Weatherby but doesn't state at what pressure. http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/...;type=1&powderid=40&cartridge=65

I think the difference is real but would be hard to prove it. The 270 was Ed Weatherby's favorite and he could have anyone he wanted. You can form cases easily from .264 or 7RM if you don't mind them being slightly short or with two passes and a trim from 300 WM brass. The 270 Bee would be ideal for South Texas sendero hunting where you don't have time to range an animal usually. But hard to beat the 270 Winchester so I would go with the Weatherby and handloads if the rangers were longer or the animals were larger.
The Weatherby would instill more confidence on game like Nilgai real or imagined. In my indecisiveness I went 270 WSM and split the difference.
The day my .270 Wins crank out 3500 fps with 130s is the day I'll believe that there isn't any difference.
Ziggy, my 270 Wby pushes a 150 NPT at 3265. It pushes a 130 at 3550. That's serious and opens a pretty wide gap between the Win and the Bee. I have both. As far as the WSM - nice round but it will never touch the 'Bee...
The 270 wby will shine with heavy bullets...if you are just shooting 130s I would stick with the win...
The 'Bee shines pretty good with a 130 too...400+ fps faster. Still hitting Win muzzle velocities a couple hundred or more yards out. If you haven't taken a few head of game with the Wby, you can't understand the difference.

I will do that for sure.
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
The 270 wby will shine with heavy bullets...if you are just shooting 130s I would stick with the win...

That's the idea behind it.
The day my .270 Wins crank out 3500 fps with 130s is the day I'll believe that there isn't any difference.

Can't argue with that
Originally Posted by Fischer
Ziggy, my 270 Wby pushes a 150 NPT at 3265. It pushes a 130 at 3550. That's serious and opens a pretty wide gap between the Win and the Bee. I have both. As far as the WSM - nice round but it will never touch the 'Bee...

Do you think I can get that kind of speed out of a 24" barrel? I have no intentions to change out the barrel it's gonna stay.
Well guys, I have been building guns now for almost 50 years, and I have owned various chronographs for about 35 years. I have used barrels of 22- 28 inches on both 270 Winchesters and on 270 Weatherby mags If we compare barrel length to length and pressure to pressure the truth is that the Weatherby shell only gives about 100 to 120 FPS more, and in MOST cases only beats the Winchester shell by about 80-90 fps. The idea that it's 400 FPS faster is totally false. Now there are several factory 270 Winchester loads on the market that are down loaded to sedate velocities and all the Weatherby factory ammo I have tested was loaded at top velocities, so in those cases the Weatherby will go a lot faster, but that is an invalid test of cartridges. That's just a report on products. That's like putting regular gas in one Top-Fule Dragster and the best grade of Av-Gas with Nitrous Oxide injection in another, and saying it proves the car with the good gas is a faster/better car.

As a gunsmith I take a 100% objective point of view on what I make. I can't afford not to. My customers want to know what i am making and I need to be 100% honest with them because I need their recommendations in my line of work. Word of mouth is the very best advertising there is to a gunsmith, and you need to sell EXACTLY what you claim you are selling in my business if you want to stay in business.

Not that there is anything wrong with the Weatherby. There's not. It works VERY well in the game fields. But so does the 270 Winchester and so does the 270 Winchester Short Magnum. All shoot the same bullets at high velocities (all within about 120 FPS of each other all other things being equal) and if you use a good bullet that holds together, all make bullet holes in game about the same diameter and most go clear through. I have made so many of them in my half century of work I have lost count and I have owned both 270 Winchester's and 270 Short mag myself, and I have killed a lot of game with them. I have made many dozens of 270 Weatherbys for customers and friends and I have hunted with several of those men and women over the last 50 years and seen the Weatherby kill deer, antelope, elk moose and a few bears, and seen it done many many times.

The OP said he was wanting to know "Real World Differences.

Well, this may get hate from those that see their favorite cartridge as a holy object of worship, but the unvarnished truth is that there is none at all that I have ever seen between the 3 shells I mentioned here. Why would there be? 120 FPS looks good on paper but let me point out truth here that is not based on opinion. A quick look at a ballistics table will shot a 150 grain .277 bullet with a B.C. of .489 starting out at 3040 FPS at top safe pressure from a 24" barreled 270 Weatherby mag. The same bullet at the same pressure from a 24" barreled 270 Winchester "only" goes 2965 FPS So that's 75 FPS slower. Right Now lets look at velocity loss of a .489 BC bullet starting out at 3040 FPS and see at what range it's as 'slow" as the lowly 270 Winchester is at the muzzle.
It's at ( a drum roll please............................. ) 36 yards!
Thirty six !!!

Not three hundred sixty.
Not 300
Not 130.
Not even 50 .

Thirty six yards more range.

And then I ask "is there any animal on earth that would be too big, too tough too anything that a bullet at X velocity is simply not good enough for, but if we shoot that exact same bullet at 75 FPS faster that same animal is NOW well-within it's optimum killing range and size/weight for that amount of ballistic energy"?

The OP was spot on when he asked his question. He asked about REAL WORLD DIFFERENCE.

There is none. 75 fps with a 150 grain bullet is not a real world advantage anywhere at any time for anything. Heck I have seen guns firing 500 grain 45 cal soft points and the ones that were 75FPS to 100 FPS faster didn't show me any difference on the game shot compared to those 75 FPS slower. If it doesn't matter with a .458" bullet of 500 grains why would it matter with a 27 cal of only 150 grains?

If you need more power than a 270 Winchester will give you, you need a LOT more power.

Not just 75 FPS. You probably also need 100-200 grains more bullet weight and a larger bore.

Hunting and guns are supposed to be fun. Not excuses for argument and debate for debate's sake. Use what you LIKE and don't let anyone feed you BS as to why your cartridge is bad and theirs is better.

It's not about the "best killing machine" anyway. That would be the trick of the market driven dishonest salesmen. It's supposed to be about enjoying your tools and your hunt.

Use what you LIKE!!!! The bullet you fire is far more important then the shell that held it before you fire it anyway.

Originally Posted by szihn
Well guys, I have been building guns now for almost 50 years, and I have owned various chronographs for about 35 years. I have used barrels of 22- 28 inches on both 270 Winchesters and on 270 Weatherby mags If we compare barrel length to length and pressure to pressure the truth is that the Weatherby shell only gives about 100 to 120 FPS more, and in MOST cases only beats the Winchester shell by about 80-90 fps. The idea that it's 400 FPS faster is totally false. Now there are several factory 270 Winchester loads on the market that are down loaded to sedate velocities and all the Weatherby factory ammo I have tested was loaded at top velocities, so in those cases the Weatherby will go a lot faster, but that is an invalid test of cartridges. That's just a report on products. That's like putting regular gas in one Top-Fule Dragster and the best grade of Av-Gas with Nitrous Oxide injection in another, and saying it proves the car with the good gas is a faster/better car.

As a gunsmith I take a 100% objective point of view on what I make. I can't afford not to. My customers want to know what i am making and I need to be 100% honest with them because I need their recommendations in my line of work. Word of mouth is the very best advertising there is to a gunsmith, and you need to sell EXACTLY what you claim you are selling in my business if you want to stay in business.

Not that there is anything wrong with the Weatherby. There's not. It works VERY well in the game fields. But so does the 270 Winchester and so does the 270 Winchester Short Magnum. All shoot the same bullets at high velocities (all within about 120 FPS of each other all other things being equal) and if you use a good bullet that holds together, all make bullet holes in game about the same diameter and most go clear through. I have made so many of them in my half century of work I have lost count and I have owned both 270 Winchester's and 270 Short mag myself, and I have killed a lot of game with them. I have made many dozens of 270 Weatherbys for customers and friends and I have hunted with several of those men and women over the last 50 years and seen the Weatherby kill deer, antelope, elk moose and a few bears, and seen it done many many times.

The OP said he was wanting to know "Real World Differences.

Well, this may get hate from those that see their favorite cartridge as a holy object of worship, but the unvarnished truth is that there is none at all that I have ever seen between the 3 shells I mentioned here. Why would there be? 120 FPS looks good on paper but let me point out truth here that is not based on opinion. A quick look at a ballistics table will shot a 150 grain .277 bullet with a B.C. of .489 starting out at 3040 FPS at top safe pressure from a 24" barreled 270 Weatherby mag. The same bullet at the same pressure from a 24" barreled 270 Winchester "only" goes 2965 FPS So that's 75 FPS slower. Right Now lets look at velocity loss of a .489 BC bullet starting out at 3040 FPS and see at what range it's as 'slow" as the lowly 270 Winchester is at the muzzle.
It's at ( a drum roll please............................. ) 36 yards!
Thirty six !!!

Not three hundred sixty.
Not 300
Not 130.
Not even 50 .

Thirty six yards more range.

And then I ask "is there any animal on earth that would be too big, too tough too anything that a bullet at X velocity is simply not good enough for, but if we shoot that exact same bullet at 75 FPS faster that same animal is NOW well-within it's optimum killing range and size/weight for that amount of ballistic energy"?

The OP was spot on when he asked his question. He asked about REAL WORLD DIFFERENCE.

There is none. 75 fps with a 150 grain bullet is not a real world advantage anywhere at any time for anything. Heck I have seen guns firing 500 grain 45 cal soft points and the ones that were 75FPS to 100 FPS faster didn't show me any difference on the game shot compared to those 75 FPS slower. If it doesn't matter with a .458" bullet of 500 grains why would it matter with a 27 cal of only 150 grains?

If you need more power than a 270 Winchester will give you, you need a LOT more power.

Not just 75 FPS. You probably also need 100-200 grains more bullet weight and a larger bore.

Hunting and guns are supposed to be fun. Not excuses for argument and debate for debate's sake. Use what you LIKE and don't let anyone feed you BS as to why your cartridge is bad and theirs is better.

It's not about the "best killing machine" anyway. That would be the trick of the market driven dishonest salesmen. It's supposed to be about enjoying your tools and your hunt.

Use what you LIKE!!!! The bullet you fire is far more important then the shell that held it before you fire it anyway.

Lots of good points in your post; I especially like this one: "
"If you need more power than a 270 Winchester will give you, you need a LOT more power."

Well said
So much parsing out ballistics and creating scenarios that level the playing field. The problem is that the playing field is not level. If you can't build a 270 Wby rhat can break 3500 with 130s, something is wrong. I chrono every handload and factory load that goes in every firearm I shoot, including 270 Wins in a couple barrel lengths. Even my old 24" 270 mag Vanguard breaks 3400 with 130s. My 270 win Vanguard never got anywhere near that, with it's 24" barrel.

The thing is, the results I get from my Wby are pretty average for standard factory rifles. If you don't want to shell out ridiculous money for a "custom" rifle and don't want to handload, you can get the same velocities. Take it out of the box, scope it and go to work. Could be it's just too simple for some people.

All the cherry picking and skewing stats doesn't change the facts. Build a 26" 270 Win that can run with the Wby and we can have a discussion.
Well guys, I have been building guns now for almost 50 years, and I have owned various chronographs for about 35 years. I have used barrels of 22- 28 inches on both 270 Winchesters and on 270 Weatherby mags If we compare barrel length to length and pressure to pressure the truth is that the Weatherby shell only gives about 100 to 120 FPS more, and in MOST cases only beats the Winchester shell by about 80-90 fps.

Bought my first chrono in 1981. I probably have close to 5k rounds entered into my load book now. One of the first things I found out is barrel length does make a difference. Cut a 300Wby down to 24" and it only marginally faster than a 300WM. Cut a 300Wby down to 20" and ya' got an '06. Of course, this is assuming the loads are within reasonable pressures. Only 270Wby's I've chrono'ed were all Mark V's with 26" bbls. A quick glance at my load book and I can't see any that broke much over 3200fps with 150's.

When I bought that chrono it was a novelty out here in the colonies, and other shooters at the range would often ask it they could fire a round over my chrono to see what their velocity was. I soon learned to "warn" the magnum shooters that the recorded velocity was most likely going to be significantly slower than they were led to believe. I had the ancestry of my chrono questioned a couple times..........

Use what you LIKE!!!! The bullet you fire is far more important then the shell that held it before you fire it anyway

Amen. Bullet construction trumps everything else when it comes to killing larger critters. Plus packing a 9lb rifle quickly loses its allure in most elk country.
So much parsing out ballistics and creating scenarios that level the playing field. The problem is that the playing field is not level. If you can't build a 270 Wby rhat can break 3500 with 130s, something is wrong. I chrono every handload and factory load that goes in every firearm I shoot, including 270 Wins in a couple barrel lengths. Even my old 24" 270 mag Vanguard breaks 3400 with 130s. My 270 win Vanguard never got anywhere near that, with it's 24" barrel.

I have most of the popular reloading manuals published since WWII, and I can't find any that advertise much over 3450fps with 130's in the 270Wby, and those manuals tend to be, ah, optimistic with most rifles.............The majority of the manuals list the 130's around 3300fps max.
The best pressure barrel the average guy has is his chronograph. If he's running over max listed velocities, odds are good he's over max pressure.

All the cherry picking and skewing stats doesn't change the facts. Build a 26" 270 Win that can run with the Wby and we can have a discussion.

No, a 270W will not come within 200fps of a 270Wby, but the difference in trajectory at reasonable ranges one can expect to make a good shot in the field is a few inches. Then again, that's true with most bottleneck cartridges using current powders............

I hunted exclusively with a 270 Win from 1976 to 1999, before that it was a sporterized Mauser. That 270 was a Ruger M77 tang safety, paid something like $139 for it brand new. I hand loaded for it from day one and took truckloads of game with it. I gave each of my sons and one of my stepsons a 270 Win (including that rifle) when they came of age - I hold the cartridge in very high regard and I'm well aware of the 270 Win's capabilities. I transitioned to a 30-06 in the '90s and still hunt with that rifle. I found it to be a somewhat more effective killer than the 270. If forced to hunt with only one cartridge for the rest of my life, that would probably be it. I still carry it to the woods for deer and hog. The round is immortal, as far as I'm concerned. I also hunt with a 45-70 sometimes and it is an absolute hammer. The Weatherby is a fine bean field and R.O.W rifle and dandy for out west. But it will kill up close too, if you happen to have it on you. I've dropped a number of deer at woods ranges with it. I hand load and chrono for everything I shoot. So, I think I'm pretty well rounded, cartridge wise and fairly open minded. The 270 Win will never catch the Weatherby, nor will the WSM. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan, of the Win at least.

Optimistic load data...I'll point you to the Nosler load data site, which is my preferred source, as I primarily use their bullets. I have found their published velocities, at least for the powders I work with, to be on the money or conservative. I never fail to meet or beat them in the Mark V by staying within SAAMI specs or only very slightly exceeding published charges. However that practice is usually detrimental to accuracy. Using the max load 73.0 gr RL22 load, I get 3537 avg fps in my fire formed and neck sized brass, with great accuracy. That's 80 fps better than their numbers. I don't think they're being optimistic at all; quite the opposite. I'll say this, I think the Weatherby Mark V may have a somewhat better barrel than a lot of other rifles. I also think rifles chambered in a Wby cartridge ought to have 26" barrels. Maybe the same for most other magnum rounds.

Their top load for the 130 gr 270 Win is 3158 from a 24" Shilen barrel. The 150 gr bullet gets a top speed of 2913. Pretty good but still 300 fps behind the Wby. Let's assume you can beat the Nosler book velocities proportionally with the Win, like with the Wby. Still 300 fps behind. Factory Weatherby 130s go 3565 over my chrono. Barnes load data on the other hand I have found to be extremely optimistic in every Weatherby rifle I have tried a Barnes bullet in. So I guess, if you look hard enough, you can find load data that doesn't live up to published velocities.

Referring to my ballistics program, I see that I chrono'd factory Weatherby 150gr NPT at 3254 fps. In my notes, I see I got a 140 AB running 3318 in front of some N560, the published velocity was 3190. I did exceed the max charge by 1 grain but the Mark V action did not notice. The fact that 270 Wby is a great cartridge does not mean that the 270 Win, WSM, 30-06 or (insert your favorite cartridge here) is not. But it is faster...

Somebody mentioned a 9 lb rifle - I'm carrying the ULW, comes in under 8 lbs scoped and loaded. Not the lightest but honestly, if I can't hump a 9 lb rifle around, I should take up golf or maybe enter a spelling bee. I did carry my Wby in elk country this year, up to 10,000' on foot. Most of the time, I hardly noticed it. 90% of the time, it was in my hand. I'll admit that I trained brutally hard for that hunt. Unfortunately, a few days in, my wife became gravely ill and I had to get her home asap. I'll be back next year though with the same rifle.
I haven't had much trouble getting 3500 ft./s in my Weatherby mark five with 130 grain bullets using Reloader 22 and IMR 7828. This with an old Oehler chronograph.

Optimistic load data...I'll point you to the Nosler load data site, which is my preferred source, as I primarily use their bullets. I have found their published velocities, at least for the powders I work with, to be on the money or conservative.

Seriously? Now that's a rarity...........

Somebody mentioned a 9 lb rifle - I'm carrying the ULW, comes in under 8 lbs scoped and loaded. Not the lightest but honestly, if I can't hump a 9 lb rifle around, I should take up golf or maybe enter a spelling bee. I did carry my Wby in elk country this year, up to 10,000' on foot. Most of the time, I hardly noticed it. 90% of the time. I'll admit that I trained brutally hard for that hunt.

Now I know you're superhuman..........

Optimistic load data...I'll point you to the Nosler load data site, which is my preferred source, as I primarily use their bullets. I have found their published velocities, at least for the powders I work with, to be on the money or conservative.

Somebody mentioned a 9 lb rifle - I'm carrying the ULW, comes in under 8 lbs scoped and loaded. Not the lightest but honestly, if I can't hump a 9 lb rifle around, I should take up golf or maybe enter a spelling bee. I did carry my Wby in elk country this year, up to 10,000' on foot. Most of the time, I hardly noticed it. 90% of the time. I'll admit that I trained brutally hard for that hunt.

Now I know you're superhuman..........

Nope, just a human in good shape. 65 years old, 6', 192, 12% body fat. I work out 5 mornings a week, weights and cardio. No gut. I'm also a blacksmith. Afternoons, I do 3 miles in my hunting boots with a 25-30 pound pack, carrying either dumbbells or my rifle...in my hands. You should give it a try - it opens up a lot of possibilities...like carrying a rifle in your hands or being able to tie your shoes, without having to stop to catch your breath.

My Nosler # 6 lists a 140 gr with 71 gr 7828 to achieve 3260fps . Using a 140 accubond and 71gr 7828 , I chrono 3280 .
Close enough , can easily take that load farther in my rifle , but it gives me 0.4 MOA, so I don't bother.

Have both cartridges , fair comparisons , the WIN still doesn't catch the WBY. Nor should it

Nope, just a human in good shape. 65 years old, 6', 192, 12% body fat. I work out 5 mornings a week, weights and cardio. No gut. I'm also a blacksmith. Afternoons, I do 3 miles in my hunting boots with a 25-30 pound pack, carrying either dumbbells or my rifle...in my hands. You should give it a try - it opens up a lot of possibilities...like carrying a rifle in your hands or being able to tie your shoes, without having to stop to catch your breath.

Now that's funny, a Floridian flatlander trying to school me on altitude............

As a guide for 25+ years, I've heard it before..........
I'm not schooling you. I suggested you might want to shape up, since you think a 9 lb rifle is unmanageable. I'll bet this flatlander can go anywhere you can though and I'm an old man. I'll be back to the western slope next fall, if you want to have a go at it. I'm game for any challenge.

I guess you're done with the Weatherby/Winchester thing. I don't blame you.

I have most of the popular reloading manuals published since WWII, and I can't find any that advertise much over 3450fps with 130's in the 270Wby, and those manuals tend to be, ah, optimistic with most rifles.............The majority of the manuals list the 130's around 3300fps max.
The best pressure barrel the average guy has is his chronograph. If he's running over max listed velocities, odds are good he's over max pressure.

Most load data for the 270 Wby is grossly watered down. They don't even actually test it. The numbers are computer generated.

To say there's no real world difference between a 270 Win and a 270 Wby is laughable. I've own/owned and loaded for all 3. The Wby simply stomps the WCF. The WSM comes much closer, but if you want the king of .277's, the Weatherby is it.

Originally Posted by wbyfan1

Most load data for the 270 Wby is grossly watered down. They don't even actually test it. The numbers are computer generated.

To say there's no real world difference between a 270 Win and a 270 Wby is laughable. I've own/owned and loaded for all 3. The Wby simply stomps the WCF. The WSM comes much closer, but if you want the king of .277's, the Weatherby is it.

+1 million. Weatherby envy is still prevalent after all these years.
I'm not schooling you. I suggested you might want to shape up, since you think a 9 lb rifle is unmanageable. I'll bet this flatlander can go anywhere you can though and I'm an old man. I'll be back to the western slope next fall, if you want to have a go at it. I'm game for any challenge.

I never really gave weight much thought until I started reading these different forums. Way too much emphasis on achieving feather weights imo. An 8-8.5 biggame rifle is a fine hunting weight.
For my uses the data should be provided with a 22" barrel or shorter. I wonder how the Weatherby would chrono out of these short tubes? I also am very fit and 60 years old and for my style of hunting weight is of real concern. I now use a .270 win with a 19 " barrel for sheep and elk. With R26 and 150 Partitions it chrono'd over 2900 fps. The only piece of equipment that isn't lightweight is my German binoculars. Barrel length is an eliminator for me.
Nothing wrong with the WBY version but a standard .270 Win would get my money.

The Win wins with lower costs for factory ammo and brass. If I need more oomph I have a .280 Rem, 7mm RM and .300WM. If I had none of them and was starting fresh the .270WBY would still lose to other options.

YMMV
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum, which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

Ziggy - I agree. How long ago was it that men (and some women) carried 8 & 9 lb rifles all over the place and never whined about it? I do have one lightweight rifle and enjoy carrying it, but I sure as Hell don't feel sorry for myself when I'm humping around a full sized rifle.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum, which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

Ziggy - I agree. How long ago was it that men (and some women) carried 8 & 9 lb rifles all over the place and never whined about it? I do have one lightweight rifle and enjoy carrying it, but I sure as Hell don't feel sorry for myself when I'm humping around a full sized rifle.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.

Morning, the short barrel requirement is a personal choice and is why I simply Don't even use my 25/06 anymore. I am a mountain hunter and I find length more of a hindrance than any other. The .270 Weatherby is a fine chambering but of little use to me.Cheers
comerade - I'm just thankful there are so many great choices. Good hunting...

Is it reasonable to consider one's size when teaching about rifle weight? You are in good shape at 192 pounds and 65 years old. I am in pretty good shape at 155 pounds and 73 years old. Does it seem reasonable that I would be expending more effort with a nine pound rifle than you would with a nine pound rifle? mathman can tell you our work accomplishment would be the same. But work and effort are not the same.

This year I hiked over hill and dale and was very comfortable with an eight pound .270 Win. Nine pounds would go past pleasure.

The thing is, the results I get from my Wby are pretty average for standard factory rifles. If you don't want to shell out ridiculous money for a "custom" rifle and don't want to handload, you can get the same velocities. Take it out of the box, scope it and go to work. Could be it's just too simple for some people.

I'll not be one to say there is no difference, only that the difference does't interest me.

26" for a carry rifle? No thanks.

Add 3000 CUP and 2-4" of barrel length to the .270 Win and there is still a difference. And still not enough to interest me. One of the beauties of the .270 Win is it can get the job done with a minimum of fuss and recoil. And do it cheaper than the WBY flavor.

Not putting the .270 WBY down, it just isn't for everyone.
Fair question! I'm not a mathematician but I have some engineering background. When that fails, I'll try to apply logic.

If we were in equal physical condition, I should be able to handle about one fourth more load than you. We would be doing the same work carrying the same load but it should be proportionally easier for me. Although, keep in mind that my "machine" is almost 40 lbs heavier than yours, so more effort would be required to move myself and the load, burning one fourth more calories. If we were equally strong - and that's entirely possible - you'd be about one fourth stronger pound for pound and therefore, moving your body and the same load would require far less effort.

A quick look at Google - It takes 62 calories to move 192 lbs 1 ft and 50 calories to move 155 lbs 1 ft. 12 is almost one fourth of 50 so, yes it takes about 1/4 more effort to move me over any distance. That's traveling over level ground. Going uphill could multiply that proportionally, I'd think. There's a formula to calculate the newtons required but I'm not going there tonight.

Very interesting question - thanks for that. Maybe somebody with a background in biomechanics would jump in here and answer the question.
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum,

I agree.

...which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

There we disagree. Although I' have a 26" barreled rifle, I choose not to carry it afield. Personal prefernce is 22" or shorter.

I'm not Ziggy, but how long ago was it since I gave a flying F what others choose? And why should anyone care if others choose differently? The older I get the more I appreciate light rifles with light recoil. But once I was young and stupid and didn't know better. Now I know I don't need to put up with heavy recoil or weight to get the job done. Many others have apparently come to the same conclusion. Apparently light rifles and low recoil age work for a lot of people.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.[/quote]

Cost is a relative thing. A few $ to one person is a lot, to another it is nothing. While I've reached the point in my life where I can do what I want, I'm still a cheapskate that prefers to spend his money on bullets rather than brass and powder. Especially when the end result (game down) is the same but with less recoil.

My last 270 Bee did 3500 fps with 76 gr of IMR 7828 and 130 Hornady Interlock. No 270 win I know of can do this.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum,

I agree.

...which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

There we disagree. Although I' have a 26" barreled rifle, I choose not to carry it afield. Personal prefernce is 22" or shorter.

Ziggy, you completely misinterpreted this. Look again and you'll see I was referring to my 22" barreled 30-06 in the woods. Open spaces, however, do not restrict barrel length - in my opinion. Carry what makes you happy, it's what I do.

I'm not Ziggy, but how long ago was it since I gave a flying F what others choose? And why should anyone care if others choose differently? The older I get the more I appreciate light rifles with light recoil. But once I was young and stupid and didn't know better. Now I know I don't need to put up with heavy recoil or weight to get the job done. Many others have apparently come to the same conclusion. Apparently light rifles and low recoil age work for a lot of people.

I don't give a rat's ass what you or anybody else wants to carry. That remark was spawned by whatshisname being a smartass. He couldn't make a case for his dislike of the round, so he took a personal swipe at me and more than one. I thought that was the liberal's move. He was the one who brought up the "9 lb rifle", nobody else. You know, when the wheels come off your argument, time to start making $hit up.

My Weatherby is a light rifle. Not as light as some, but starts out at 6.75 lbs. I don't consider it to be a hard recoiling rifle in 270 Wby, especially with that stock, designed to mitigate recoil. I can shoot it off the bench comfortably. The same rifle in 300 mag - no thanks.

Cost is a relative thing. A few $ to one person is a lot, to another it is nothing. While I've reached the point in my life where I can do what I want, I'm still a cheapskate that prefers to spend his money on bullets rather than brass and powder. Especially when the end result (game down) is the same but with less recoil.

[/quote]

I reload too, have been since the early 1970s. More for precision than cost, but the cost is certainly a benefit and 95% or more of my shooting is with reloads. I have some rifles that I've never put a factory round through. But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost. I'll buy it if it's the best solution and I've got to say, Weatherby factory ammo is awful hard to equal.
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

Didn't say it, didn't even suggest it. Read what you quoted..........

The reading comprehension on the 'fire is a hoot at times...........

You're right, I wouldn't mess with Yeti's carrying 9lb rifles who leap 10,000 ft mountains with a single bound.........

Especially Yeti's from Florida.
What a dolt. You came up with the 9 lb rifle, not me. Nor do I claim to have leapt anything in a single bound. Why call me a Yeti? Why the personal attacks? I will be in Western Colorado for archery season in the fall. If you doubt anything I said, check me out in person. Bring your A game.

I've offered twice to meet you in the mountains, so you can prove your point. My third and final offer - we can finish this discussion out there, fall 2018. I'll either hack it or I won't. We can shake hands when it's done and be on our way. Hey, I'll be 66 years old and a flatlander to boot, should be an easy mark for you. It's a simple yes or no and I'm done.
I reload too, have been since the early 1970s. More for precision than cost, but the cost is certainly a benefit and 95% or more of my shooting is with reloads. I have some rifles that I've never put a factory round through. But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost. I'll buy it if it's the best solution and I've got to say, Weatherby factory ammo is awful hard to equal.

I have to disagree with "But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost." when I purchased a rifle for a wedding gift for my first son-in-law, my daughter asked me if he would be able to afford to shoot it. My response was "Don't worry, it's a .30-06." The point is that what is "negligible" to some is serious money to others.

When Daughter #1 needed a rifle we got her a .308 Win. She is a petite lady who shoots 130g TTSX for everything she hunts and doesn't like the recoil of full-power 150's. A .270 WBY would be inappropriate for her regardless of ammo costs. While the .270 WBY is a good cartridge, it is no panacea. There are lots of good cartridges, each with its own unique attributes. What is best for one is often a poor choice for another.
In the real world the Weatherby uses 6 cents worth more power. (based on 30 dollar a pound powder). That shouldn't break anyone.
Originally Posted by Fotis
My last 270 Bee did 3500 fps with 76 gr of IMR 7828 and 130 Hornady Interlock. No 270 win I know of can do this.

[Linked Image]

I don't doubt the 7828 data but when Hodgedon re-worked the loads they reduced most of them. This was true with the 7RM. When I asked a technician he just said different rifles so I don't know if early lots were slower or what.
I saw a 270 Weatherby for sale and since I’ve never had one I thought I may buy it. Reading this old thread, it seems to me that people that own a 270 Win feel the 270 Weatherby isn’t worth it. The people that have both seem to think the Weatherby is easily worthwhile.
What else is there to do in the winter but go looking for new rifles?
Being tight, cheap, frugal, all rolled into one,
I never saw anything Weatherby that was worth the cost of
brass and dies. I'll see a 270Bee, and raise a 7mag.
Couple that with the unhappy purchase of a Vanguard at 14,
with skipped lunch , and mowing money, and I lost all desire
for anything they made.
Looking at the 7mm Rem Mag - it looks like a ballistic twin.

There’s a Ruger #1 on Guns International that has a Leupold scope on it and it’s only $700. If the scope is worth say a minimum of $200 that’s a real cheap #1!
On the down side, it has a butt ugly stock on it.
You would need to open up the bolt face for the 270 Weatherby and get a new extractor (Rem clip or Sako style) plus the rechambering (added cost), not to mention the added cost for brass and dies.

I'd put the lroject in the category of: "Do it simply because you want to do it."
I wouldn't do it. I think the 270 Winchester is fine just the way it is. I also just don't like belted cases.

Ballistic Studies is a!ways an interesting read. Here it is on the 270 Weatherby Magnum.
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.270+Weatherby+Magnum.html

Your money. Your choice.
Originally Posted by slm9s
140 Accubond

Me too
I have both for a std cartridge the 270 win is hard to improve on. The 270 Weatherby is a great cartridge and an excellent choice in a Mk V Weatherby rifle that is correctly freebored for the cartridge. If you want one sell your 270 win and buy one don t modify yours. You asked...mb
I see some impressive ballistic advantages written on paper

The paper is where most of the advantages will stay. smile

And since you don't reload, another thing to consider is ammo availability,
Midway's current inventory of 270 WBY ammo:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by SKane
I see some impressive ballistic advantages written on paper

The paper is where most of the advantages will stay. smile

could not agree more
wink
Yeah a 270 130 grain bullet going 300-400 fps more then a standard 130 grain 270 is no difference, yet we have campfire members who go to improved cartridges all the time that gain maybe 100-150 fps.. See the Mashburn thread for an example.

It also seems that people somehow think that Mark V's are 9-10 lb rifles, maybe a visit to weatherby.com will educate them so they can correctly compare apples with apples.

Ammo availability, LMAO, I can't remember the last time my local gun stores had 270 win,7 mag and 6.5 creed moor in stock.

I have had/have 4 Mark V 270 WBY both Japanese and US made. Not one has not shot factory ammo better then any 270 Win I have owned, despite a tad more recoil and muzzle blast.
I could care less if it factory loads are available.

To me the differences are like between the:
280 and the 7mm RM.
or the
6.5-06 and the 264
or the
30-06 and the 300 Win.

(I can not remember shooting factory loads in any of the above and I own or have owned all but the 6.5-06)

To me the 270 Weatherby and the 7mm Rem Mag are very similar, just as the 270 and the 280 are.

I just do not understand liking one and dis-liking the other.

I just saw that Ruger #1 in Guns International. The ad says Leupold scope included and the price seems very low in today’s market. $700.
Another interesting “fire” thread with a mix of great advice, diverse experience and the usual amount of butt hurt. I’m a huge Weatherby fan (still have a 340 and 300). What I appreciate most with Weatherbys is high quality accurate rifles and exceptional factory ammo that in nearly every case is faster and more accurate than I could roll on my own (I’ve always been able to match velocity or accuracy but rarely at the same time). I also learned over the decades that there was a limit for me on practical benefits (the cost and recoil for a non braked 30-378 wasn’t worth the extra 200fps I got over a 300wby shooting the same bullets). When I moved from a free state to NY, I quickly learned that unusual ammo had to be purchased online as it simply wasn’t obtainable locally. Post Sandyhook, all online/mail ordered ammo purchases were outlawed. I quickly learned feeding my Weatherbys or a 7STW was going to require reloading. That in turn had me looking at how available brass is. When I decided to up my .277 game, it was easy to choose the WSM route because of readily available brass. Although not as proficient as my 300wby or 7STW, it has become my go to rifle for hunting where shots are expected to be 300-400yds. Can it do anything my 270win could do? No. Are there circumstances where a 270wby might provide extra range shooting the same bullets? Perhaps…. The thing is, if I was going on an elk hunt in open country, none of the 270s would even make the backup rifle list…. In other words, I’d be in 340/300/7STW country. Most of of us are rifle loonies who have long chased a few hundred extra FPS. One downside of Weatherby rifles I haven’t seen mentioned is the need for premium bullets in case a close range shot is encountered. As much as I love Hornady spire point bullets, they will not hold together when shot outside their design perimeters (I recall a mule deer shot with a 165 spire point and an impact velocity of 3400fps didn’t exit even though no bones were hit). As I get older, despite my loony tendencies, the less I care about such differences and the more I believe that it’s confidence in my equipment and proficiency that matters most. YMMD.
I bought a 270 Bee about a year ago simply because I wanted to. It’s shooting a 150 grain Berger bullet with a high bc at 3295 FPS. Sub moa out to 600 yards. No I don’t need it because I have many other rifles.
This is my first Weatherby. I like the Mark V action. Needs have nothing to do with rifles or we would all be shooting a 30-06. Edk
I guess I was taking the OP's "real world" scenario into consideration:

24" barrel
Factory ammo

Years ago, I built a .257 Weatherby with a 26" tube because I rationalized the only reason to own one (over the 25.06) was really standing on the gas with a 100gr. mono.
I rationalize the same for the .270 Weatherby.

Go big/long or go home. smile
270 wby , now you are talking my language. I’ve owned numerous rifles from 22 to 30 caliber. Nothing larger than a 300 wby. My favorite caliber is 270 wby. Favorite load involves RL 22 with a 140 grain Fail Safe at 3335 avg. over my Pact chronograph. Hasbeen
I guess I was taking the OP's "real world" scenario into consideration:

24" barrel
Factory ammo

Years ago, I built a .257 Weatherby with a 26" tube because I rationalized the only reason to own one (over the 25.06) was really standing on the gas with a 100gr. mono.
I rationalize the same for the .270 Weatherby.

Go big/long or go home. smile

I think the OP would be crazy to cut up a 270 and make it a 270 weatherby. Just buy one or trade the 270 win in .l
Find brass or ammo first. Then do it!!

If you are going to tote that magnum barrel around you might as well get the most out of it.

The haters are going to hate...forget about that.
I built one years ago because I had a 7RM with a shot out barrel, a Shilen blank for basically free, a reamer and lathe, and no money.

I sourced dies used for less than $30 and have never used properly headstamped brass, I run 7RM brass I get for free through the sizer.

I only use 7828 and 130s, monos mostly but I’ve used Partitions and Sciroccos some too. It’s a killing machine and I’ve racked up a good string of bulls and bucks with it. Being in a light easy to carry rifle helps make it a favorite.
The real world differences once seen in a 3-400fps advantage have largely evaporated due to range finders, dial or BDC style optics. Heck with the right scope & dope anyone can rig up a 30-30 to shoot 400 yards.

A generation ago, velocity was all we had.

I own and shoot 270 Win/WSM & Wby. I just don’t have anything to offer to add to what has already been shared. For me it boils down to my love for the 150gr Nosler Partition and it’s outstanding capabilities.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
The real world differences once seen in a 3-400fps advantage have largely evaporated due to range finders, dial or BDC style optics. Heck with the right scope & dope anyone can rig up a 30-30 to shoot 400 yards.

I own and shoot 270 Win/WSM & Wby. I just don’t have anything to offer to add to what has already been shared. For me it boils down to my love for the 150gr Nosler Partition and it’s outstanding capabilities.

I could go along with that. Kid makes some valid points as well, brass isn't hard to come by so that is a moot point.

Honestly if I was going 270 Wby I'd want a 1-8 barrel so I could really fling some of the newer bullets myself, but with the Mashburn I don't need that either, but need has never really played into much I have dreamed up!
If one is ever involved in a 270 race, the person carrying the Weatherby will win every time. Advantage may be slight, but it's still an advantage.
Bullet drop is kind of mute as someone stated above. But 300 FPS in a wind does make a difference. Most people prefer to shoot in no wind but hunting is a real world situation. Edk
I’ll argue that bullet drop isn’t a moot point in hunting situations. I’ve often caught an elk headed to a bedding area in the early morning or a nice buck cruising sniffing for does during the rut. Point being that animals aren’t always calmly feeding unawares and sometimes you need to take the shot when they pause for a moment or lose the opportunity as they move on through. With a flat shooting rifle and a decent guess for yardage you can make the shot before the chance is gone, the chance that you might burn trying to get a yardage with your RF instead of shooting.

Not always the case but a flat trajectory certainly isn’t a handicap.
Off topic but I would rather have a 7MM Weatherby magnum if I were building a long range elk rifle. Keep the 270 around for simpler chores.
The real difference lies in the one you own or like best. Same as everything else I suppose. Zero bad choices.

One comment though that I just couldn’t let slide was a post from ‘17 insinuating that the 270 Wby was the equal to a 300 Wby. I can’t support that comment. The 300 Wby is in a different league and the 340 seems to be in yet another. I’ve never seen anything taken with a 375 so I cannot comment further than my 340 being at the next level of long range capability. I own a 270 Wby, 300 Wby & 340 Wby mostly because when I was much younger I thought that a battery like this was essential. During those ignorant years I couldn’t be bothered by non magnums. Lol.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ll argue that bullet drop isn’t a moot point in hunting situations. I’ve often caught an elk headed to a bedding area in the early morning or a nice buck cruising sniffing for does during the rut. Point being that animals aren’t always calmly feeding unawares and sometimes you need to take the shot when they pause for a moment or lose the opportunity as they move on through. With a flat shooting rifle and a decent guess for yardage you can make the shot before the chance is gone, the chance that you might burn trying to get a yardage with your RF instead of shooting.

Not always the case but a flat trajectory certainly isn’t a handicap.

Exactly. And not everyone wants a heavy , bulky scope designed to constantly have the dials adjusted. Besides that, the further you get out, the less energy the projectile has, and the more likely the performance of the .270 Weatherby with a 150 grain projectile will be better than a 130 in a .270 Win.
During those ignorant years I couldn’t be bothered by non magnums. Lol.

laugh laugh

I've got the t-shirts too.

laugh laugh

Haha truth.
What about the 27 western? Always seeing ammo on shelves and it’s Twisted for the heavier pills.
I don’t know what twist the wby. Have. But I if was burning that much powder, I’d want to shoot the heavier pills. This goes for all Magnums for me. 140 out of 7mm rem is not that much better than 140 out of 270 win. But cost twice as much to shoot. What’s the point? Unless you’re a size queen
I started working on a 130 gr load for my Mk V 270 .120 rounds later I was ready to concede it did not like 130 gr bullets. I loaded a few rounds of 150 gr Hornady spire points with a max dose of 7828. That load gave me a 3 shot nickel sized group repeatedly at 100 yards. I haven't shot another load thru it since. 24" barrel and my chronograph said an avg of 3153 fps. That load kills deer and antelope rfn. Can't even imagine going thru 6 different boxes of 60 -100 dollar ammo to figure out what it likes to shoot. Mb

laugh laugh

I’m a member of that club as well. Always thought of the 300 Weatherby as the holy grail of all around cartridges. Now my 7mm08 is probably my favorite rifle.
Originally Posted by Alex38

laugh laugh

I’m a member of that club as well. Always thought of the 300 Weatherby as the holy grail of all around cartridges. Now my 7mm08 is probably my favorite rifle.

Loved my 30-06 BAR and double loved my .270 Weatherby. But I started noticing wife’s 7-08 and son’s .260 killed just as quick and just as dead. Now a stainless Model 7 stainless 7-08 with 120 TSX gets carried the most. Sometimes a .270 Win for variety.

130-grain at 3,400 makes point and click feasible to 350-400 yards. Nice to just hunt and not worry about fancy reticles, dialing and range finders.
Glad to see that a five year old thread is still going strong. smile Still haven't changed my mind; my 270 'Bees still eat my 270 Wins alive.
by all accounts the 270 wcf is the true king of any 7x57, ive had both and the 270 wcf is king! if you want to talk gay look at the 6.5 gaymoore, because it drove the price of 6.5 bullet's up to wear the 6.5x55 shooter's are weeping!
The ammo…. Do you really want to deal with that headache? Forget your ammo on a hunt and your out of a hunt…..

There’s nothing like going to any sporting goods store abd being able to quickly buy a box of common ammo.

This is why my .300 savage sits in the back of the safe .
if I remember correctly, the .270 weatherby and the .270wsm are about equal, had both, would do the .270wsm, if I just had to do one or the other.

129 LRX at 3400+ FPS RL22 and .45" from a Terra Mark
Originally Posted by Fotis

129 LRX at 3400+ FPS RL22 and .45" from a Terra Mark

I have a 257 TerraMark, guy that sold it to me had a 270 wby as well but I waited too long.
Having owned two Wby chamberings, the cost and availability of ammo was reason enough to sell both of them. I like what Wby is doing in Wyoming and think they are a company worth supporting but I like to shoot my rifles but not at $3 per round, if I can find it. Faced with the choices of the OP, I'd just get a 7mm RM instead, have two, ammo easy to find and performance outstanding.
With the .270 Win, it's a bit hard to use a temperature stable single-base powder such as H4831sc with the 150 grain projectiles and get a decent velocity such as over 3000 fps. This is because the case isn't big enough to hold the larger volumes of slow burning powder such as H1000. With the bigger cases such as the .270 Weatherby, you can load 75-79 grains of H1000 powder to drive the 150's at around 3100 fps. That's the real advantage with the .270 Weatherby, plus a little more reach than the .270 Win if you want to go lighter than 150.

I will do that for sure.

Where'd ol' Ziggy go? Suppose he ever got the rifle back from his smith?
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Having owned two Wby chamberings, the cost and availability of ammo was reason enough to sell both of them. I like what Wby is doing in Wyoming and think they are a company worth supporting but I like to shoot my rifles but not at $3 per round, if I can find it. Faced with the choices of the OP, I'd just get a 7mm RM instead, have two, ammo easy to find and performance outstanding.
Have the 270 and the 300 but in today's world the 7mm Rem Mag is a logical choice. Economy and the ability to shoot heavier pills.
My 300 has been turned into a gallery gun.( 20 grns Unique with 125 SP )
Keep the 270 Win and wait for the 7mm PRC rifles and ammo to become available this fall. A 7mm Nosler ABLR @ 3000fps will drop 24.1" with 2332fps and 1811fpe at 500 yards.

I reload 150g ABLR for Daughter #1 and her 270 Win. In WBY ammo the 150g AB has the best ballistics with a 2.2" drop, 2341fps and 1703fpe at 500 yards. Daughter's 270 Win/150ABLR @ 2910fps MV does -26.7", 2196fps and 1686fpe at 500. To me, not worth the extra cost for the rifle and ammo for the WBY.
© 24hourcampfire