Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Comments on Ruger American - 10/28/17
This is my 2d hunting season with a RAR in 30-06. So far, it's been very accurate. For an economy priced rifle, I've been happy with the way it shoots.

2 problems:
They still haven't solved the magazine problem with the cases sticking and not coming up to the loading position. They just sent me the 3d magazine and while it's better than the previous 2, once in a while one will still stick. I tightened the spring on one of them and it didn't help. Spraying lubricant down inside hasn't helped either.

The other problem is that there's no bolt lock. The bolt can be opened when it's on safe. I've lost a couple rounds in the field when brush or something lifted the bolt handle and it slid back, ejecting the round. For that, I much preferred my Savage with the 3 position safety which locked the bolt down.
Don't have a round in the chamber, easy peasy.
Posted By: JWD8310 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/28/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I agree. I leave my chamber empty unless the gun is in my hands.
Problem number 2 isn't a big deal for me, as I only load a round if I'm expecting a shot imminently, but problem number 1 is an issue. I've gone through several mags, tried all sorts of modifications, and haven't been able to completely solve the sticking cartridge issue. That's why I just threw my SS RAR 7-08 into an MDT ESS- solves the flexible stock issue as well as the mag issue, all in one fell swoop.
Whether you carry a rifle with a round chambered is a different subject. Chambered or not, you don't want to hike around with the bolt hanging open. It can rattle and it can get crud in it. It needs a way to lock it shut.
Ive hunted with more guns that dont lock the bolt than do...never an issue.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/28/17
On rifles that does not lock the bolt, several times I have found the action open when I pulled the gun from my shoulder.

I have also often found live rounds in the middle of the trail that I am guessing got dumped by the bolt opening?

I believe a three position safety is a fine feature.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/28/17
I am on my second and probably my last RAR and find them hard to take seriously. Maybe a decent truck gun?
I have two, and have had no issues. You can of course, buy a more expensive rifle. That more expensive rifle may, or may not be as accurate as the Ruger American.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/29/17
Are the problem rounds that stick very close to the COAL of the magazine? I accidentally loaded some 223 to 2.885 instead of 2.855 COAL (ogive, Hornady tool). The third one stuck, my previously loaded ones had not stuck. Checked COAL from tip to base and figured out my mistake. But sometimes even plastic tipped bullets will vary in COAL (from tip to base) enough to get stuck in the magazine if running close to magazine COAL. I check all the rounds to make sure they all function through the magazine. I do believe that this magazine could stand a redesign and better execution.
Posted By: Ozarker Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/29/17
I run a 450 bushmaster mag in my 22-250 american. It is a single stack and feeds flawless. Downside is that it only holds 3 rounds, and it sticks below the stock a bit instead of fitting flush. I'm sure it will work with any 308 family cartridges as well.

As far as the -06 cartridges, might try a 300 magnum magazine if they fit. They are single feed also I believe.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/29/17
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am on my second and probably my last RAR and find them hard to take seriously. Maybe a decent truck gun?

I've handled a few and really wanted to like the new ones in 7.62x39 (got alot of ammo sitting around from my days watching red dawn) and 450 Bushmaster (I like fat cartridges) but that action is a chunky tubed joke and the stock is even worse. I'm glad they shoot, and I'm glad they are a bridge to get people into the sport without having to drop a ton of money.

But I hate the fact that Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, and Winchester XPR's, Remington 783's and other crappy rifles designed to be sold for $300 with a Scope are the "latest and greatest" the big manufacturers can come up with.

I started with a free to me Savage 110 package rifle that a relative won in the early 90's at a $5 Ducks Unlimited raffle. It sat in a closet and had rust on the bluing when it was given to me Guys would be better off buying old rifles like that off the used rack of their local brick and mortars than the new press-fit plastic pop-guns.
Originally Posted by JWD8310
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I agree. I leave my chamber empty unless the gun is in my hands.

90% of my hunting is done with an empty chamber. So far I have yet to lose an animal because of that practice.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/29/17
I have almost a thousand rounds through my RAR in 22-250. My complaints are the feeding from the magazine is terrible and the trigger is pretty gritty.
May have to try the 450 bushmaster magazine.
The bolt not locking is pretty much the same as every other bolt action rifle without a three position safety nowadays. I don't like it either, I'd much prefer the bolt lock when the safety is on but the lawyers have decided that the public can't be trusted to keep their fingers off the trigger when unloading a rifle, thus the unlocked bolt. Most of your older rifles would lock the bolt with the safety on.

I have a RAR stainless 223 and it's amazingly accurate for the price and size, it's a hoot to shoot. The magazines feed OK, not great but OK. I think it's a great value for the way it shoots, but it's definitely built to a price point and it wouldn't be my choice for my primary hunting rifle. It is a great truck gun as someone mentioned.

Mine also came with a gritty trigger as BWalker mentioned. There are instructions on the internet on how to do a trigger job on one so I took mine apart and worked it. I got a really nice 2.5# trigger with no creep or grit when I was done and it didn't require replacing any parts, just trimming a spring and a little file touchup. I'm no gunsmith so if I can do it anyone can.
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have almost a thousand rounds through my RAR in 22-250. My complaints are the feeding from the magazine is terrible and the trigger is pretty gritty.

The Bushmaster mag is on my list too. The only two rifles I own that have feeding issues are both based on the same case; the Ruger American in .22-250 and a Savage in .250 Savage. The case is just short enough and with enough taper to cause the rounds to feed into the bottom rear face of the barrel.
One reason I love Tikka. I have two Remington's that do not lock, my biggest complaint with those guns.
I have found my bolt open, also have tried to shoot, only to have the bolt slap shut, but no bang.
Those that hunt with an empty chamber, good for you.
I prefer to load my rifle.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

The Bushmaster mag is on my list too. The only two rifles I own that have feeding issues are both based on the same case; the Ruger American in .22-250 and a Savage in .250 Savage. The case is just short enough and with enough taper to cause the rounds to feed into the bottom rear face of the barrel.

That's exactly what my .22-250 would do but only with the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the magazine and only if fed at other than full speed. If you pushed the bolt forward quickly apparently they didn't have enough time to nose dive. Anyway, I called Ruger CS and explained the problem, they sent me a replacement magazine for free and it feeds the rounds properly no matter if done fast, slow or in between.
Posted By: hanco Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/29/17
Son in law has one, damn accurate.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Whether you carry a rifle with a round chambered is a different subject. Chambered or not, you don't want to hike around with the bolt hanging open. It can rattle and it can get crud in it. It needs a way to lock it shut.

Do you have Velcro on your shoes?
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/29/17
I have 3 now. I bought the 1st Compact I saw in 223 right after they were introduced. The factory magazine wouldn't feed the last round. Didn't matter if there were 5 rounds in the magazine or 1. Ruger replaced it and I now have 2 spares. All 3 have fed and functioned perfectly since. I added a 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor in the Predator versions and neither have ever malfunctioned. The 6.5 is less than a year old, but I've put a lot of rounds through the 308 and 223.

I prefer the bolt locks down too. But so far I've never had a problem.
Jim - what does the .450 Bushmaster mag have going for it that seems to greatly reduce this often mentioned problem / defect?
One would think Ruger could figure it on their own. After all it is their design and molds. WHY have a mag designed for the .450
Bushmaster in order to make other calibers work 1/2 decently? Homesteader
I wouldn't really know, my only experience with the American magazines is with a RH .243 that fed perfectly (later sold) and the one.22-250 mag that came with this LH rifle. Even that one worked fine for a while.

The problem as I could see it was a combination of the feed lips being slightly too wide at the front along with the tapered .22-250 case, that allowed the case to pop out prematurely, then the nose would drop and hit the breechface of the barrel. Feeding the round quickly didn't give enough time for the nose to drop.

I had read here on the campfire that it was okay to load the mag by popping the rounds in from the top instead of sliding them in under the feed lips, that the mag was resilient enough to withstand that for several thousand rounds so that was how I loaded it. The feeding problem started after a few hundred rounds like that so it would seem likely that the feed lips are not so resilient as advertised but I can't state that unequivocally, nor did I figure out why the 1st and 4th rounds always fed but the 2nd and 3rd rounds jammed. I can only say that the replacement mag that works measures .416" across at the front of the feed lips and the original that didn't work so well measures .423" at that same point.

But in the "lemonade from lemons" category, I've kept the original mag which should be okay with standard .308 based rounds and may use the presence of the magazine as future justification for buying a new LH .243 rifle to go with it....
Posted By: Seafire Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/31/17
The ones I had, have been replaced with Howas....

None of the Ruger's flaws and as accurate as one would desire...

Triggers that are more refined for smooth pull vs the Rugers I had..

The good Rugers ended when they quit making the 77 Mk 2s...
Note the little 18” RAR 7/08 in my left hand here....

[Linked Image]

I have a great semi-custom 26” barreled 700 in 7 Rem Mag, that I packed for the first 4 Days. I knew the shots would be fast and close, so on the way back in for the second weekend I grabbed the short/light rifle and reached for the 140 Barnes load. I had that little 7lb gun in my hand for several miles Friday night and Saturday morning.... when the split-second opportunity was there... so was the little Ruger.

It ain’t an old custom Mauser.... or a Pre-64.... but it is one hell of a little killing tool to be sure. It’ll see more blood this year.
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Jim - what does the .450 Bushmaster mag have going for it that seems to greatly reduce this often mentioned problem / defect?
One would think Ruger could figure it on their own. After all it is their design and molds. WHY have a mag designed for the .450
Bushmaster in order to make other calibers work 1/2 decently? Homesteader

Single stack (or staggered?), rather than rotary.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Comments on Ruger American - 10/31/17
I've got $150 in a 243. Put a M8 6x42 in Talleys and its 7#4oz IIRC. Ugly? Sure. Cheap? Sure. Still don't know how it shoots, but it does balance nice.

For some damn reason, I kinda like it.....
I had a RAR Predator in 6.5 CM. Got lucky as the original magazine always worked flawless, but I never tried another magazine. The rifle was a great shooter. I still sold it for a heavy barrel Howa in 6.5 CM. It is a tack driver and I like the trigger better. Also feels like a much more solid rifle even in the hogue stock.
I've got RAR-Predators in 204, 223, 22-250, 243, 25-05, 260, and 6.5 Creedmoor that all seem to feed, fire, and cycle just fine. Except for the 22-250, the rest are MOA or better shooters with the 204, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor being particularly good shooters.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have two, and have had no issues. You can of course, buy a more expensive rifle. That more expensive rifle may, or may not be as accurate as the Ruger American.

I only have one. Mine is the 7.62 X 39 version. No problem with the mags feeding or loading them as mine uses the Mini- 30 mags.

And as to the problem of no bolt lock, I carry all my rifles slung muzzle down in my left shoulder so they don't scratch up the pistol that I ALWAYS wear on my right hip. And I don't chamber a round unless I'm about to shoot. And mine is surprisingly accurate even with the cheap Russian steel case ammo, too.
I wanted a beater rifle for the 4-Wheeler or UTV at the Ranch for hogs, and mine fits that niche perfectly. Next one I buy will be the 6.5 creedmore in the Predator Version.
I have the 300BO, and I love it. I picked up a 308 standard RAR...and am not nearly as enamored with it as I thought I would be. I have not decided whether or not to keep it just yet.
I'm having a difficult time accepting a rifle with a blade in the trigger.
I know it can be taken out, or swapped out completely. But I just want to load and shoot.

The stainless compact is tempting. And the predator rifle don't look too bad.
Have not been able to warm up to the handles. Can't see being able to tweak them to something desirable but don't like the ridges and scallops. Would prefer a classic stock. Cheap rifle is what it is.
Yep, cheap rifle and feels like it. Can't make it comfortable. RAR Predator 6.5CM purchased two weeks ago. Took it out of the box and cleaned grease off and cleaned bore. Took apart, floated bbl and lightened trigger. Put Bushnell 3500 3-9 DOA600 on it and went to range. Had my son who is 46 shoot it 6 shots and two cleanings it was sighted-in using Hor Precision Hunter 143 Eld-x and putting them touching each other at 100 so had to give it to him. We went deer hunting this past Sunday and he shot a buck at 385 yds! Memories made!! The gun looks and feels much better now, still not my Sako but better than day 1. Mac
I can see why they're popular, but they just don't appeal to me. You other folks can divvy up my share.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Have not been able to warm up to the handles. Can't see being able to tweak them to something desirable but don't like the ridges and scallops. Would prefer a classic stock. Cheap rifle is what it is.

I don't like the factory synthetic stocks either and upgraded several of mine with Boyds Heritage laminated stock in different colors to indicated which cartridge a particular rifle was chambered for. The biggest negative about the Boyds stocks for the RARs is the crappy plastic trigger guard.
I think mine is gonna get a GAP camo paint job.
They’re ok, but kinda junky.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Oh, Bullschit.

Everything that needs to be done right on the rifle is..
They work fbe shoot great and have as good of a basic trigger / safety design as you will find on a factory rifle.

I have a .308 in the Standard midel and it shoots as well or better than any of the out of the box m700s or m70s I have ever owned. Including my pre '64s.

The only mistake Ruger made was styling the stock simular to the Savage "Edge" with the jagged ridhrs and crap. If they would have just stuck with a more classically style the entire rifle would have looked better.
Opinions are not wrong just different. Unless you disagree with me.
Yes, they look cheap. But accuracy covers a multitude of sins...
Originally Posted by jk16

Oh, Bullschit.

Everything that needs to be done right on the rifle is..
They work fbe shoot great and have as good of a basic trigger / safety design as you will find on a factory rifle.

I have a .308 in the Standard midel and it shoots as well or better than any of the out of the box m700s or m70s I have ever owned. Including my pre '64s.

The only mistake Ruger made was styling the stock simular to the Savage "Edge" with the jagged ridhrs and crap. If they would have just stuck with a more classically style the entire rifle would have looked better.

laugh
Posted By: skeen Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by jk16

Yeah, personally, I find that stock pretty ugly. But, as far as shootin' goes, I was at a 500 yard range the other day and there was a guy with a stock Ruger American 6.5 Creedmor that was holding his own, and frankly out-shot me (which, granted, ain't saying a lot) and a whole bunch of other guys with $1,000s in their rifles.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/02/17
I picked up a Predator in 6mm Creedmoor to see how I liked the cartridge. If this rifle is any indication, the accuracy is outstanding, the trigger so-so and the clip crappy (and I grew up using clip rifles). I replaced the trigger with a Timney and that was a major improvement. The original clip worked, but the extra I ordered from Ruger will not feed at all.

On paper the 6mm is unreal as far as making tiny groups. I have a pocket full of tags to fill with candidates to see how it works on game!
I have one in 300 Blackout. I bought it because it was inexpensive. I am fine with the stock. In fact, the stock is really pretty good other than for looks. I have had no trouble with the magazine after they replaced the first one. This thing is short, light, fast to handle and accurate like you would not believe. I get 2395 fps out of 110 grain Hornady GMX with hthe 16" barrel and one hole groups at 100 yards. For an off season hog gun to keep in my side-by-side or when you need something for a close in stand in a small field, it is an excellent choice. I keep it by the back door at home to keep the critters coming up from the river at bay.

Yes, it is cheap, but I sure got my money's worth out of it.
I shot one in .270 the other day and I wasn't impressed a bit. Nothing about that rifle appealed to me. It didn't shoot worth a crap either. Perhaps he had too much fouling in it? it is a low round count gun, but has likely never seen a cleaning rod. In the American's price range, I would look for a Marlin X7 or a Savage.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I only have one. Mine is the 7.62 X 39 version. No problem with the mags feeding or loading them as mine uses the Mini- 30 mags.

And as to the problem of no bolt lock, I carry all my rifles slung muzzle down in my left shoulder so they don't scratch up the pistol that I ALWAYS wear on my right hip. And I don't chamber a round unless I'm about to shoot. And mine is surprisingly accurate even with the cheap Russian steel case ammo, too.
I wanted a beater rifle for the 4-Wheeler or UTV at the Ranch for hogs, and mine fits that niche perfectly. Next one I buy will be the 6.5 creedmore in the Predator Version.

the one I bought recently is the 7.62x39 version. I am very pleased with it. The other, in .308, was one of the very first ones. Less than MOS out of the box with a Redfield scope, and no issues at all. I paid less than $250 out the door for that on at Bass Pro in Birmingham.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/02/17
A friend has an RAR Ranch Rifle in .223.
The trigger or stock hasn't been touched. We've never made it shoot under 1", but it's never shot over 1-1/2" with the cheapest crap we could find. I'd love to see what it would do, bedded with the channel opened up.
The magazine sucks, but does feed once loaded. The stock sucks (like every other rifle in it's price range). The trigger isn't bad, I just kinda hate bladed triggers.
With the stock/chassis from MDT and the new MagPul, both taking AI pattern mags, triggers from Timney, and switchaloo barrels from Patriot Valley, you can spend as much money as you want to on a cheap rifle. Been tempted to roll a 6.5 Predator that direction.
I do like it for what it is, but for what I do with a rifle these days, I'll probably roll a Tikka and be done.

FWIW, if I'm where brush is gonna yank my bolt open, my rifle is between my hands and not hanging over my shoulder.
Posted By: davet Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/03/17
Happy with my RAR in .223, full size standard rifle.

The only factory load through it was Win 55 grn softpoints, and they shot horribly, dismal groups. I still killed a deer with that combo a couple of days after purchase.

It is very accurate with handloads, 50 vmax, 65 grn Sierra's, 75 and 80 grn Amax. It will see some time deer hunting this year also.

I did find a tutorial on lengthening the magazine with epoxy and a router, and have been very pleased with the results, and the now 2.5" of room for COAL in the mag. I also ground out a bit of the right forearm channel for more consistent free float of the barrel.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/03/17
the stock on them is too floppy, thats my primary gripe. also my .223 example has a really short throat for some reason. however, both of the ones i own are more accurate than any m77, m77 mk2, or 77/22 i have ever owned (and there have been several).
I have a RAR in 7mm-08...shoots handloads great. It only likes Hornady American Whitetaill factory ammo.

I have a RAPredator in .223. Only likes handloads. Factory ammo I have tried was terrible groups.

No issues with the trigger, magazines, or stocks. Mine are set ~3.5lbs. I was able to adjust them down where I wanted with no issues.
No feed issues at all with my 6.5 Creed Predator. It seems to shoot all of my handload combinations pretty well, although I've never tried factory ammo in it.

There some things a person shouldn't have to do:

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru
Hunt with a Ruger American
I love broccoli
Know nothing about Subaru
Only accurate rifles are interesting...( I think someone else already said that!) smirk
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

I agree. It’s just not right.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/04/17

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

I agree. It’s just not right.

I don't mind broccoli, but I'll agree on the other two.
Posted By: RDW Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/04/17
I bought a 300BO Ranch last week, mounted a 1x4 SS and will be at the range in an hour to sight in with the cheapest sub ammo on the shelf, UMC 2XX through the Harvester. It don't hold a candle to my Montana's for look or feel, might be close in accuracy but the Montana's won't take a can.

Same with my compact 22, it ain't up to the Cooper or 39 Mounty but it has a purpose and RAR's are cheap.

I may give a Predator Creed a spin, cheap and threaded.

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

I like broccoli. We want to swap out our Camry for a Subaru. My wife shot her first deer last year with a Ruger American.

We did sell it even though it was accurate. That nonlocking bolt handle drove me nuts.
I am the proud owner of two “cheap” 223’s. A model 200 Stevens and a RAR. I am pleased with both for the money spent.
Neither could be considered top shelf but both are accurate and function well. YMMV smile
Yep, it's all about personal preferences. You enjoy your rifles, and don't worry what others say.

And please, don't shoot Remington 700s. They're, well, they're just wrong... laugh
Posted By: 16bore Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/06/17
Finally shot my 243 today and pretty much laughed my ass off. 100 gr Power Points and 100 gr Blue Box shot MOA. Dope off the box was on, at least to 330. Load development was just the Walmart gal putting ammo in a bag.

No magic trigger spring blah, blah, bedding, blah blah or mag box blah blah.
I like my American rimfire. Can’t bring myself to buy a centerfire.

Every time I about convince myself I need one, I pick one up and remember how cheap the mags and stock look and feel and say fuggit.
I keep looking at the RF Predator and the new Target. You know how it is: get a new scope and that means the old one needs a " ride". I'm really hoping they bring those two out in SS eventually, especially the Target.
RAR's are a lot of fun if you don't take them seriously and get them for cheap.
I will add though, that scoped, in hand, it balances nicely. The only thing that comes close in all the rifles I've had is a Montana 84L M8 6x42.
Pappy348 - purchased a new RAR Predator in .243W as I wanted a heavier barrel than the Marlin XS7C sporter already in the safe . It did what Ruger said it would do. It is accurate if a bit homely.
NO glossy blue job and certainly NO "XXX" grade walnut stock BUT you're not paying for that. What you get is a rifle that will put a bullet into a tight group for not a lot of $$$. Simply put: the RAR
does what it was designed (and priced for). Homesteader
Posted By: jk16 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/06/17
Originally Posted by 16bore
I will add though, that scoped, in hand, it balances nicely. The only thing that comes close in all the rifles I've had is a Montana 84L M8 6x42.

And , if you bought 10 Americans and 10 Kimbers Montanas in identical calibers ,the Americans would likely Kimbers right out of the box.

Which is pretty sad given the cost difference.
Posted By: pymi Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/06/17
Bought my wife a compact in 7mm-08 and it seems ok feeds fine and is accurate.
The stock is what it is I've had worse (Stevens 200), trigger does feel gritty but is not bad other than that, only dislike is the non locking bolt just have to watch going through brush.
I picked up my second Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. And my dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet To sight it in with and try out on some hogs at the Ranch.
I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

For those of y'all that have the Predator version in 6.5 CM, what ammo are y'all using on deer or hogs and which ammo shot better in your gun?

While you are at academy. Look at the $20bx hornady Black.
140gr hpbt ( i believe).

Worked well enough for pigs.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/09/17
I got a compact 308 for my girls to use for moose hunting. Got tired of cringing when they were packing around a more expensive rifle, so got something cheaper. Should have gone 7-08, but didn't want to get set up for a different caliber. Been happy with the rifle, it serves the purpose well. Got a 2-7 scope on it that matches well with the size of the rifle. I've considered getting a 223, nice that they are fast twist. Would make a nice truck gun.
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Pappy348 - purchased a new RAR Predator in .243W as I wanted a heavier barrel than the Marlin XS7C sporter already in the safe . It did what Ruger said it would do. It is accurate if a bit homely.
NO glossy blue job and certainly NO "XXX" grade walnut stock BUT you're not paying for that. What you get is a rifle that will put a bullet into a tight group for not a lot of $$$. Simply put: the RAR
does what it was designed (and priced for). Homesteader

And that's a sensible approach if it satisfies your needs and wants. My go-to economy bolt gun is the stainless 77 Mark II or 77 Hawkeye because I don't like DMs, especially plastic ones, and prefer bottom metal to bottom plastic, but those are just my notions. I'm willing to pay a bit more for what I want rather than settle and seethe over something less acceptable to me. My newest Hawkeye All Weather, a.223, was very reasonably priced and scratches the right itches for me. Might be the last rifle I buy, actually, as I think all the holes are filled (assuming I don't dream up any more holes🤔).
Whitaker’s has the standard RAR in .30-06 for $250 right now. Thinking about picking one up, hack the barrel to 20”, and throwing a fixed 4x Leupold on it.... use it for a loaner/back-up/timber elk rifle.
Dogshooter,

That seems like a good deal. I was considering doing that to a Remington 700 in 308 as far as cutting the barrel to 20”. What’s that cost? It’s stainless.
Costs about an hour....
I picked up my second Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. And my dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet To sight it in with and try out on some hogs at the Ranch.
I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

For those of y'all that have the Predator version in 6.5 CM, what ammo are y'all using on deer or hogs and which ammo shot better in your gun?

Finally got to shoot it today!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First group is with the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo with the 143 grain ELD-X bullet @ 2700 fps

Second group is with the Hornady Whitetail Ammo with the 129 grain Interlock bullet at 2850 fps.

I also shot a group with the Winchester Deer Season XP Factory Ammo with a 125 gr bullet that looks like a big ass Ballistic Tip 5 shots @ 100 yards went about 1.5" it's cheap enough I'll probably use it for a hog load at the Ranch.
All three loads shot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. That never happens for me!!!

And I think I could have shot much better if the RUGER American trigger didn't suck so bad! How hard are they to ajust or lighten the pull???
Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

Posted By: OdT Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/15/17

Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

Do it. You’ll love it

I have two, (1 rimfire and 1 centerfire) and both Timneys changed the entire RAR experience.
The Timney is, IMO, well worth the $120+/-.

For me, the biggest negative about the RAR-Predators is that the stock doesn't fit me as well as I'd like and the only option that I'm aware of are a few different styles from Boyds. I find it more than a little annoying that Boyds is selling a steel trigger guard for their RAR stocks for $30+/- above the price of the stock and the parts kit with a crappy plastic trigger guard that comes with it.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/15/17
Like hearing all the positive comments on the American. Sure seems the majority gives it the thumbs up. I tried one out awhile back , gave it whirl , just couldn't warm up to it. Passed it off to a friend who loves it.
Rimfire okay.

Centerfire, no thanks. You can buy quality used rifles at a similar price everyday of the week.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Rimfire okay.

Centerfire, no thanks. You can buy quality used rifles at a similar price everyday of the week.

I've got lots of nice high end quality rifles. I wanted a beater for the Truck or the UTV at the Ranch. The Ruger American fills that niche perfectly for me. If it gets scratched or beat up, I won't give a schitt. YMMV.
I have a predator in 22-250 and I can't get anything to shoot good. I have tried factory ammo, reloads, 40 grainers up to 64 grainers and nothing is under an inch at 100. The best thing that I have found is 50 grain Nosler CT Ballistic Tip with H380. Not sure if the barrel is the issue or twist rate, any suggestions. I have shot it about 100 times.
Pappy 348 - " Might be the last rifle I buy, actually, as I think all the holes are filled (assuming I don't dream up any more holes🤔)." Have to agree with you. Like looking at a favorite wool
sweater...before long "HOLES" just start appearing. Minds starts wandering and muttering "just one more to cover this or that". Homesteader
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Rimfire okay.

Almost every gun show I go to has used Savage rifles for sale. Picked up an FXP3 in .243 with the intent to rebarrel to 6.5. Shot the donor and that was the end of that.

Much as I would like to like the American, my experience with an early model was less than pleasing. Dad bought it and gave it to me. Probably shot 7 different types of factory ammo through it and none grouped acceptably. Sold the rifle after Dad passed. I'll stick with the cheap used Savage (non-Axis) rifles.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/18/17
Young fella was showing me his RAR 243 compact this evening and all I could think was "damn, make this thing a 6.5 CM and put it in a regular stock and I might have to have one". Little rascal was slinging 100 NPT's to boot.

Paging Shortactionsmoker........paging Shortactionsmoker.......

Could be a neat little sleeper rig.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 11/18/17
Originally Posted by 16bore
Young fella was showing me his RAR 243 compact this evening and all I could think was "damn, make this thing a 6.5 CM and put it in a regular stock and I might have to have one". Little rascal was slinging 100 NPT's to boot.

Paging Shortactionsmoker........paging Shortactionsmoker.......

Could be a neat little sleeper rig.

Hell, I am still waiting on Ruger to chamber the stainless All-weather model in the 6.5 Creedmoor, which to my mind is a no brainer and should have been done years ago.

To date that chambering has only been available in the Predator model.
Chlinstructor....My Predator in 6.5 loves Federal "Non-Typical ammo. Cheap stuff but 1/2 moa at 100. Killed a big doe with it this year.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Comments on Ruger American - 12/12/17

yeah you can Sam.. they are called Howas and they are available at a decent price from Whittaker Guns in Kentucky...
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I keep looking at the RF Predator and the new Target. You know how it is: get a new scope and that means the old one needs a " ride". I'm really hoping they bring those two out in SS eventually, especially the Target.

I recently got one, down at Whittaker's, it's a .22 WMR, in stainless. It's not horrible, but not spectacular, either. It's a hunting tool, not a target rifle, and I have to keep reminding myself of that when I'm thinking about crapcanning the WMR. This is my second WMR, and while I'm trying to like it, it's not making me swoon, not even close. It's configured like the Predator, except it's in stainless.
I have a blued Predator, too, in .22LR, it shoots pretty well, and I'm pleased with it. I wish I was as pleased with the WMR, but I'm still trying to be fair and give it a chance. It's only made three trips to the range, and I'm still working at finding the best ammo for it.

BOTH rifles, and according to rimfirecentral, a lot of others, are having some extraction issues. You might want to wait a bit and see if Ruger can manage a fix for this. I know it's happening with at least three rifles (a buddy has two, one in .17HMR) and one of his two is experiencing the same extraction issues I am having. Reshaping the extractor hook seems to be a fix worth doing. Just a fair warning.
I'd like a 22 Mag compact for my one and only Ruger American.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Comments on Ruger American - 12/13/17

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

After owning one I think Shrapnel is right. I bought one for shooting prarie dogs this summer when I first moved to Montana. I didnt want to invest alot of money into a rig given I didnt know what sort of access I would have and if I would like it. It filled the bill given that, but i just replaced it with a CZ 527.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Comments on Ruger American - 12/13/17

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

After owning one I think Shrapnel is right. I bought one for shooting prarie dogs this summer when I first moved to Montana. I didnt want to invest alot of money into a rig given I didnt know what sort of access I would have and if I would like it. It filled the bill given that, but i just replaced it with a CZ 527.

while I agree with Shrap...on the Ruger American...

one of the coolest individual rifles I have seen in quite a while
was a CZ in 204, when I was in New Mexico Last Summer..

I went and spent a couple of days with Mark Shubert, one of our campfire members
who resides up in Las Vegas NM....we spent a day driving around some of his property
that he was showing me, in his Chevy that he uses for his Ranch Truck...

Leaning against the seat was a CZ in 204... sporter model, 3 x 9 Leupold on top...

being in a ranch truck, this puppy was beat to crap on the outside...
stock, all scratched up, bluing all scuffed up on the barrel...

Looked as if she had been rode hard and put away wet....

But that rifle shows the beauty in a working rifle, that is one the job 7 days a week, 365 days
a year....and when called upon it does the same quality of job, it did the day it found a home
leaning against the front seat on Mark's Truck....

I thought quite a bit about what I consider in the beauty of that rifle...
something a plastic stock rifle just wouldn't have the same appeal...
but would probably look the less as being a truck gun veteran...
They would be great with a McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, Kreiger barrel, Schmidt & Bender scope, and chambered in 7mm WSM.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
They would be great with a McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, Kreiger barrel, Schmidt & Bender scope, and chambered in 7mm WSM.

Building a marble mansion around a pigstye. grin
Posted By: 16bore Re: Comments on Ruger American - 12/13/17
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Building a marble mansion around a pigstye. grin

It was painful enough to put one of my beloved M8's on mine....
Ruger(and everyone else),simply needs to default to an AICS footprint DBM,so all dots are connected. Magpul already Milk Jugs 'em,amongst others...so the fiscal burden is nil. Sad but true,that many OEM makers are in a hurry to go "proprietary" with mag designs/footprints,though the bar has long been set in commonality,yet overlooked.

No thang on a RAR,to toss the 'blade,re-spring,add an inclined rail,bask in their RPM and get more than a few thangs done. That being said,their Goat Fhuqked magazine is really an EPIC pile of fhuqking schit,much compromising feed/function,along with the twist/throat/COAL Hat Trick.

It's doubly funny,that they already source DBM footprinted mags,in more than a few offerings and yet go wayyyyyyyyyyy outta their road to fhuqk easy schit up.

Tikka is equally fhuqking hilarious,in their INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqktitude.................
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I recently got one, down at Whittaker's, it's a .22 WMR, in stainless. It's not horrible, but not spectacular, either. It's a hunting tool, not a target rifle, and I have to keep reminding myself of that when I'm thinking about crapcanning the WMR. This is my second WMR, and while I'm trying to like it, it's not making me swoon, not even close. It's configured like the Predator, except it's in stainless.
I have a blued Predator, too, in .22LR, it shoots pretty well, and I'm pleased with it. I wish I was as pleased with the WMR, but I'm still trying to be fair and give it a chance. It's only made three trips to the range, and I'm still working at finding the best ammo for it.

BOTH rifles, and according to rimfirecentral, a lot of others, are having some extraction issues. You might want to wait a bit and see if Ruger can manage a fix for this. I know it's happening with at least three rifles (a buddy has two, one in .17HMR) and one of his two is experiencing the same extraction issues I am having. Reshaping the extractor hook seems to be a fix worth doing. Just a fair warning.

I've seen that about the extraction. Wonder if it's the chambers, since that style of extractor's been in use for what, 100 years? Of course, it may just be crap accumulated in the grooves in the bolt. That's caused me trouble with 77/22s and my 581. I'd think the Hummers would run pretty clean, though.

Not looking to buy anything, at least until I finish tweaking what I've got.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ruger(and everyone else),simply needs to default to an AICS footprint DBM,so all dots are connected. Magpul already Milk Jugs 'em,amongst others...so the fiscal burden is nil. Sad but true,that many OEM makers are in a hurry to go "proprietary" with mag designs/footprints,though the bar has long been set in commonality,yet overlooked.

No thang on a RAR,to toss the 'blade,re-spring,add an inclined rail,bask in their RPM and get more than a few thangs done. That being said,their Goat Fhuqked magazine is really an EPIC pile of fhuqking schit,much compromising feed/function,along with the twist/throat/COAL Hat Trick.

It's doubly funny,that they already source DBM footprinted mags,in more than a few offerings and yet go wayyyyyyyyyyy outta their road to fhuqk easy schit up.

Tikka is equally fhuqking hilarious,in their INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqktitude.................

I actually could not agree more.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Comments on Ruger American - 12/13/17
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I actually could not agree more.

The RAR magazines are a goat rodeo..
Posted By: ihookem Re: Comments on Ruger American - 03/30/22
I bought a Ruger American compact in .243 Win. I put a 35 yr old Leopold on it. I like the compact gun. It will serve me well going through the cattail marshes and mud swamps . It is light and compact . I noticed the trigger is a little raspy . It is not really accurate , but I dont care, my avr. shot is about 30 yds. It is light enough that I noticed it kicks more than my TC Venture compact in .243 Win. I would have been glad to spend more on a gun, but there is almost nothing out there.
Biggest problem with the Ruger American center fires they so often out shoot things costing so much more....
Posted By: ihookem Re: Comments on Ruger American - 03/31/22
It did ok, about 1.5" @100 Yds. It was just on a wooden block and my shoulders for the back. Not exactly how I would test real accuracy but 1.5" was good enough for deer .
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 03/31/22
Originally Posted by ldholton
Biggest problem with the Ruger American center fires they so often out shoot things costing so much more....

This has been my experience with my Ruger American in 7mm-08. It shoots way above its price points.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Comments on Ruger American - 03/31/22
How is your trigger? Mine is quite stiff and I don't like it much . It works, and it's ok , but that is all I can say about it.
Originally Posted by ihookem
How is your trigger? Mine is quite stiff and I don't like it much . It works, and it's ok , but that is all I can say about it.

Mine sucked too. I clipped a couple of coils off the trigger spring and super glued the trigger blade in the back position and now it shoots 1/4 - 1/2" groups

EDIT: 16" barreled 5.56/.223
Mine is a 300 BO and I’ve had it several months. The trigger kinda sucked so I swapped it out for a Timney. The bolt was pretty rough at first; it’s improved over time but it’s still a little balky. Everything has fed properly. I’ve only shot handloads and it’s been pretty easy to work up loads with 125 B/Tips, 110 Amax and 110 TacTx bullets. It was easy to work up loads and all three bullets put four shots in less than an inch at 100 yds at 2100-2300fps.
Originally Posted by ihookem

About 5 minutes and I can have it at 2 lb
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 03/31/22
Originally Posted by southtexas

I have the RAR .223 compact. It's an early model so it won't take the new magazines. I'm stuck with the rotary magazines. None the less, they have worked 9 out of 10 times. It's light, compact and easy to carry. It would be nice if the bolt locked but it is what it is. Mine has never seen a factory round, all reloads. If my life depended on a rifle, I would make another choice. But, for what I do this one works great.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020

I have the RAR .223 compact. It's an early model so it won't take the new magazines. I'm stuck with the rotary magazines. None the less, they have worked 9 out of 10 times. It's light, compact and easy to carry. It would be nice if the bolt locked but it is what it is. Mine has never seen a factory round, all reloads. If my life depended on a rifle, I would make another choice. But, for what I do this one works great.

kwg

I have found that if you only put two rounds in the magazine, even the older ones work pretty well. It is not a very good design, though. I do like my RA. I have about a thousand rounds through it and it has killed quite a few deer.

I agree on the older rotary magazines, for sure... I have an older model that can't be converted, so I'm stuck with that! However - it's hard to dis such an inexpensive rig when it'll do this every day, all day with pretty much anything I've ever put through it...! That's five, BTW @ 100...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I replaced the trigger spring and tossed the blade - still didn't like it and went Timney on it. Now it has a real trigger! With the SWFA 3x9 MQ on it, it's a great knock about truck gun, steel plates, ground squirrels and so on. I even got a compact stock to toss on it when the grandkids are big enough..... Ugly, heavy and clunky - but a darned good shooter for little money.
Got a 6.5 Grendel and a 223 AR type magazines
22 250 fast twist in a Magpul stock with Asics type magazine
243 with the standard rotary magazine one works most of the time and two others that are piece of junk
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/02/22

I’ll not disagree with that.
If most polymer pistols went with Glock mags (if design allows), rimfire rifles went with 10/22 mags (lookin’ at you CZ), and non-classic bolt guns went with AICS mags, we could stop a lot of the screwing around, and gun stores wouldn’t have to carry 100 different mag variations.

The constant need for gun and car makers to “re-invent the wheel”, when we already have perfectly simple/elegant solutions that WORK, never ceases to amaze...
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/02/22
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I have found that if you only put two rounds in the magazine, even the older ones work pretty well. It is not a very good design, though. I do like my RA. I have about a thousand rounds through it and it has killed quite a few deer.

I have had good luck loading all 5 rounds in the rotary magazines. It's usually the 3rd round that fails to load in one of the magazines. The other 3 magazines seem to be working 100% of the time. I got it for the grand kids to start out with center fire rifles. I really want a Predator in .223 but I just can't justify it.

kwg
It takes 5 minutes to pitch the floating trigger in the trash and get the trigger at 2 lbs
The new staggered mag cures the "problems" of the rotaries in .308 and Creedmoor based cartridges.

I might like a Howa if they acknowledged I existed, but since they don't, I'll patronize Ruger, Tikka and others who make left-hand rifles. I might even slum another Savage, but that would be a hard pill to swallow.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/05/22
243 with the standard rotary magazine one works most of the time and two others that are piece of junk

was looking on youtube and they had some videos on how to easily repair those or rework them to take care of those problems with the Rotary mag on your 243 style.

its evidently not so much a bad design vs, just poor quality control on manufacturing the mag...
Originally Posted by Seafire

was looking on youtube and they had some videos on how to easily repair those or rework them to take care of those problems with the Rotary mag on your 243 style.

its evidently not so much a bad design vs, just poor quality control on manufacturing the mag...

Tried all kinds of that repair stuff one in the spring more and everything and nothing seemed to work on them reliably for me.
I’m thinking about picking up a predator model with the AICS-type magazine. Seems like it could be a great an all around big game hunting rig - even with a heavier barrel it’s still lighter than a Howa for instance. I’ve been wanting to try a rifle with AI mags anyway and this is a cheap way to try.
Posted By: OGB Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/05/22
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
The new staggered mag cures the "problems" of the rotaries in .308 and Creedmoor based cartridges.

I might like a Howa if they acknowledged I existed, but since they don't, I'll patronize Ruger, Tikka and others who make left-hand rifles. I might even slum another Savage, but that would be a hard pill to swallow.

With you on this.
I'd pick up that Howa Alpine (the lightweight with HS stock) in a NY minute if they'd throw the "mirror image" switch.

Oh, have a RAR 308. Shoots great, no mag drama for me. Wish the safety locked the bolt.
I avoided the cheap plastic wonders for years. They dont have the features of a serious alaskan hunting rifle.

In hypocritical fashion, I caved at $100 for a like-new RAR scoped with a 2-7 redfield revolution.

I thought about them RARs for a few years after a young kid took his first caribou with one. They were so broke, i loaned them my truck, boat motor, even the hunting jacket off my back.

They had maybe at most, a half box of 180 grain partition ammo. Gun survived the nasty muddy-water environment like a boss. The kid was so starry-eyed and proud, i didnt have it in me to sht on his rifle or talk-down on it:

Here are my thoughts on a RAR 308 after overcoming my uppity ignorance:

The box trigger has an opening to blast some cleaner on the critical sear to trigger engament. So kind of a "hybrid open/box trigger". It took 60 seconds, to get that trigger to 2.5lbs with no parts required.

I purposely loaded a dummy round with a bullet too far out. I crimped the fk out of the case with a lee crimp die. Bullet almost got stuck in the rifling. I reamed on the bolt handle. Neither the bolt handle, nor the ectractor broke. It extracted like a boss.

The stock is sleek at the pistol grip, with some slight swelling towards the grip cap end. The swelling fills the palm and your grip doesnt slip down stock.

Though cheap, the ergonomics are far nicer than the dog-sht hogue that came on my old 375 ruger alaskan. Its also nicer than the clubby, dog-sht bell an carlson that came on my cz-550. It was an uncomfortable, short grip-angle, clubby and slippery on the b&c.
For cheap plastic, the american has good ergonomics.

The fast 1:10 twist of the mirror-finish barrel will stack 200 grain hot-cors into a single hole. It outshoots ANY rifle ive ever owned.

The weight was exactly as advertised at 6.1 lbs. That, is fkn light! A real short-action, unlike the tikkas.

I left the gun outside all winter, never had a SINGLE malfunction.

The two position safety means nothing, as all Alaskans hunt with an empty chamber. The bolt will be closed when its time to run a round into the chamber and take aim at moose, caribou or bear.

In spite of the do-nothing gibberish heard on 24houcampfire against the RAR's, would i hunt with one in Alaska?

Absofknlutely.

Posted By: GreggH Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/05/22
I really want to like them. I know they are shooters overall, but that fore end kills it for me. Get rid of the finger grooves and I would buy 3 or 4.

GreggH
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/06/22
Picked up a RAP in 6mm Creedmoor for $490 last week, ordered a B&C and Timney that shipped next day, sold the OEM trigger and stock on Fleabay for ~$200, so now I have a decent threaded 6mm Creedmoor in a B&C with a Timney trigger for about $750. If you've checked the price of 6mm CM rifles lately that is a bargain. Undecided on optics. Thinking hard about either a 3-16 FFP Sightron from Doug or a used 3-15 super chicken if I can find one, probably in Talley LWs. Not a fan of a rail on lighter rifles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ihookem Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/09/22
I found out the RAR has an adjustable trigger . It took just a few minutes to adjust it. I is likely about 3 lbs now, down from at least 4 lbs.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/09/22
Easy to get it to 2# or under with an aftermarket spring
Posted By: ihookem Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/09/22
I will see how this one works first.
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Picked up a RAP in 6mm Creedmoor for $490 last week, ordered a B&C and Timney that shipped next day, sold the OEM trigger and stock on Fleabay for ~$200, so now I have a decent threaded 6mm Creedmoor in a B&C with a Timney trigger for about $750. If you've checked the price of 6mm CM rifles lately that is a bargain. Undecided on optics. Thinking hard about either a 3-16 FFP Sightron from Doug or a used 3-15 super chicken if I can find one, probably in Talley LWs. Not a fan of a rail on lighter rifles.

I love what you have done there. Any idea what it weighs sans scope? Did you go from AICS mags to flush or did the rifle come with flush when you bought it?
Originally Posted by GreggH
I really want to like them. I know they are shooters overall, but that fore end kills it for me. Get rid of the finger grooves and I would buy 3 or 4.

GreggH

The forend is fine. All it needs is a bit of epoxy in the cross hatch to firm it up. No big deal.

The Ruger American Rifle is an inexpensive, dependable, accurate rifle. It was built for that purpose. People that want to drool over a rifle can go spend untolled thousands on fancy rifles. I look at rifles as tools. They either work for their intended purpose, or they are useless to me. I don't baby any of them.

I have some nice rifles, but I have no use for them, if they do not shoot. I don't buy them to look at. I only have the one RA, but I would own another in a heartbeat.
Couple of people I hunt with have them in 6.5 Creed. They shoot small groups but I think they are ugly as hell.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/10/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I love what you have done there. Any idea what it weighs sans scope? Did you go from AICS mags to flush or did the rifle come with flush when you bought it?

Went from AICS to flush. Just bought a flush mag to go with it. I knew the AICS stock would fetch more $ on eBay, not that I had a choice but it was nice knowing I had that coming when I ordered the B&C. I’ll get a weight on it in just a bit, been meaning to do that. Still haven’t picked an optic. I ordered Talley lows this morning for it because I had settled on either an SWFA 3-9/3-15 or the Sightron 3-16 and then tonight I got a line on an NF F1 3.5-15 that I’ve always wanted, but it’s not a done deal yet so we’ll see.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/10/22
It’s 7lbs 2oz with the rail removed. May send it to fat camp/Kampfeld for a weight reduction. I like spending money on cheap guns lol.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Couple of people I hunt with have them in 6.5 Creed. They shoot small groups but I think they are ugly as hell.

Some of us find beauty in rifles that just shoot small groups...

Ugly but good shooter is prettier, than Gorgeous looking but poor accuracy....

I'm Hillbilly practical in that way....

Like my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendal just fine...

can carry it in the rain, thru thick brush scrapping it all over the place, and it just shucks that off, with no changes in finish appearances...

with the Grendal chambering.. I just look at it as a 30/30 alternative, with more flatter shooting....

with a 129 or 140 grain bullet, it'll drop a deer on the spot with a well placed shot....and the bullet will completely pass thru and keep on going...

there is plenty of beauty in that for me...
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

Some of us find beauty in rifles that just shoot small groups...

Ugly but good shooter is prettier, than Gorgeous looking but poor accuracy....

I'm Hillbilly practical in that way....

Like my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendal just fine...

can carry it in the rain, thru thick brush scrapping it all over the place, and it just shucks that off, with no changes in finish appearances...

with the Grendal chambering.. I just look at it as a 30/30 alternative, with more flatter shooting....

with a 129 or 140 grain bullet, it'll drop a deer on the spot with a well placed shot....and the bullet will completely pass thru and keep on going...

there is plenty of beauty in that for me...

Exactly.
wish Ruger would make the LH RAR with a AISC mag. Would love to have a LH 6.5 Grendel with AISC mag.
Just bought the Ruger American Predator in .22-250. I would like to buy a spare magazine to keep on hand. What or which magazine would you guys recommend?

Thanx!
Hip
The Ruger American predator rifle is interesting........good design, but don't sell as well as they should
Originally Posted by kk alaska
wish Ruger would make the LH RAR with a AISC mag. Would love to have a LH 6.5 Grendel with AISC mag.

Don't need the Asics mag for a Grendel the standard AR mag works well
@Hipshoot. Maybe this would help you out.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/rugerr-americanr-4rd-22-250-short-action-magazine.html
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/24/22
Got the 6CM out this morning. Grabbed a SWFA 10x on the sale this week. First group using Norma match stuff was about 1”. Then shot a 5 shot 0.53” group with factory Hornady ELD-X. Used the reticle for a 1.5 MIL hold on a 10” gong at 415 yards and centered it twice. Guess I’ll use that ammo. Talk about pleasant shooting with the Timney and the suppressor. Not much more recoil than a 223.

Damn thing won’t eject a spent case though, hits the windage turret and goes right back in the action. For punching paper it’s fine, it ejects if you roll the rifle to the right. Idk. May just not worry about it.

Originally Posted by boatanchor
The Ruger American predator rifle is interesting........good design, but don't sell as well as they should

What information do you have about RAR-Ps not selling as well as they should?
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Just bought the Ruger American Predator in .22-250. I would like to buy a spare magazine to keep on hand. What or which magazine would you guys recommend?

Thanx!
Hip

There are two replacement mags that work better than the rotary mag. The rotary mag in my American would let the cartridge pop up vertically in warm weather. There is simply too much taper in the .22-250 case. I first called Ruger and they sent me a free replacement mag. Same issue. Then I bought the mag for a .450 bushmaster. It worked great, but stuck down from the stock about an inch. No real issue- just awkward. Finally Ruger came out with a staggered, flush fitting mag. It works great without the sowbelly look. I use the original mags in my Creedmoor.

Ruger does not make a LH RAR with the AISC mag or a LH RAR that will work with the AR mag .

Ruger does not make a LH RAR with the AISC mag or a LH RAR that will work with the AR mag .

Yeah I seen the left hand after I posted that but I just left it.
Posted By: Nrut Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/24/22

What after market stock is that?
Originally Posted by Nrut

Looks like bell and carlson
Hillbilly and leon, thanx for the replys! Ordered one from cdnn today---hope it works OK! The one that came with the rifle ( a rotary) works fine, just wanted a spare.

Thanx Again!
Hip
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/25/22
Originally Posted by Nrut

Yep it’s a Bell & Carlson
Most people love them, including my best friend. The one I owned (.223) was very inaccurate. And yes, I reload. It's hard to try again.
I got one early on in 243 and have had no problems so far .
Originally Posted by jeeper
Like hearing all the positive comments on the American. Sure seems the majority gives it the thumbs up. I tried one out awhile back , gave it whirl , just couldn't warm up to it. Passed it off to a friend who loves it.

I did the same thing with a BAR.
I found a .243 and a .308 today, both brand new All weather SS compacts for sale for $400 each. Seemed like a pretty good deal. I may have to pick up the .308 just due to ease of finding ammo. Put a standard stock on it and it would be a lightweight little deer and caribou gun.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Comments on Ruger American - 04/26/22

Certainly works with mine... I contacted Ruger and asked about their mags and would a 223 mag work in it, and they told me NO..

Contacts several other magazine makers and asked them the same question and they told me no..

a Marine Vet I run into over at the range asked me about my rifle... and I asked him if he minded if I tried to see if one of the 50 AR mags he had would work in my Grendal from Ruger...

rounds went in just fine and worked just fine in operation.. when the manufacturers told me NO...

so much for getting a straight story from manufacturers....

I don't even know where my factory Predator mag is right now... but then I had a little over Half a dozen aftermarket 223 ten round mags, that I use with it...
that will hold 10 rounds of 6.5 Grendal rounds...each made of polymers...

Certainly works with mine... I contacted Ruger and asked about their mags and would a 223 mag work in it, and they told me NO..

Contacts several other magazine makers and asked them the same question and they told me no..

a Marine Vet I run into over at the range asked me about my rifle... and I asked him if he minded if I tried to see if one of the 50 AR mags he had would work in my Grendal from Ruger...

rounds went in just fine and worked just fine in operation.. when the manufacturers told me NO...

so much for getting a straight story from manufacturers....

I don't even know where my factory Predator mag is right now... but then I had a little over Half a dozen aftermarket 223 ten round mags, that I use with it...
that will hold 10 rounds of 6.5 Grendal rounds...each made of polymers...

Let me rephrase that I'm glad you pointed that out. You don't need Asics type mags for 6.5 Grendel the standard AR magazines that are six five Grendel specific work quite well. Now I never try to standard 556 magazine with the Grendel cartridge. I always just got the ones that were specific.
But up on reading this experience I might have to experiment here.

But I do have a 22 250 that I changed to a Magpul stock to use Asics my exam because I couldn't get any factory magazines to work with a damn with the 22 250. And it feeds great with four if you stick 5 in at the first one won't feed very good I think I could adapt the follower just a touch and solve that I just haven't got to try that yet.
© 24hourcampfire